=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Dear developers, next weekend my wife and children will go to the country for two weeks. In this regard, I will have a lot of free time (for the first time in several years) to play  my favorite Il-2.For this reason, I ask You to start a new company TAW in early August, so I have time to fully enjoy the game on the most wonderful server in the world!

Well, if you do not run, i  have to drink a lot of beer in the evenings and every third Cup will be for your excellent team))

• Like 3
  • Haha 10
  • Upvote 2

I'm new to TAW and IL-2 in general - this server seems to be an incredible addition to the game. I have a few questions: When does the next campaign start and where do I check to see the timeline as to when it will start (hopefully I didn't just add a week)? Will Bodenplatte planes be added to the plane set in later maps? Which team generally wins the Air War?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, RODEO said:

I'm new to TAW and IL-2 in general - this server seems to be an incredible addition to the game. I have a few questions: When does the next campaign start and where do I check to see the timeline as to when it will start (hopefully I didn't just add a week)? Will Bodenplatte planes be added to the plane set in later maps? Which team generally wins the Air War?

Thanks!

An additional week has been added ... Thanks! Lololol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oooooh I've just noticed the main page no longer says 'Allies won the campaign', and now lists the maps won by each side as 0 - 0. I have decided this means TAW will be starting imminently and I can finally be happy again.

Oh frabjous day!

P.S. However, it also says 'Elapsed time 434479h 17m', which is nearly 50 years, so who knows...

Edited by Nerfection

The new TAW campaign starts on 28.07 at about 10:00 UTC. 

Because of the summer time and holidays there aren't many changes. I decided to have a break (for the first time) from developing/improving/fixing etc. between campaigns.

Changes:

• 20 hours time penalty when counter "Lives on Map" drop below 0. It was 24h before. (info: when this counter drops below 0 then it's automatically increased by 1)
  • The enemy airfield is closed if attacking tank convoy is about 25km from it. It's still 15km for border airfields. 

Registration is open.

Good luck!

:salute:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, =LG=Kathon said:

The enemy airfield is closed if attacking tank convoy is about 25km from it. It's still 15km for border airfields. 

Could you explain it in more detail?

2 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

Registration is open.

Good luck!

Nice one, thanks :good:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Could you explain it in more detail?

The way it worked before was that the airfield being attacked was closed (I.e. not able to take off from, and a ditch if you landed there IF NOT a transport) when an attacking tank column was approximately 15km away or closer.  This simply means that now this will occur when the attacking tank column is within 25km (except the border airfields which are near the supply depots in the far backfield, which remain at the 15km distance).

it basically means that now you will see some airfields being attacked by tank columns become closed/inactive sooner than they might have in previous TAW rounds.  This change gives the attackers a better chance to protect the attacking tank column than before, since the defenders may have to fly farther to attack the tanks.

Edited by AKA_Relent
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

ehm any news about 3 Lives System?

The start is so sudden, I'm surprised. Already in midsummer?

Edited by JG4_Widukind

On 7/23/2019 at 2:30 AM, Skv_Vovka said:

Dear developers, next weekend my wife and children will go to the country for two weeks. In this regard, I will have a lot of free time (for the first time in several years) to play  my favorite Il-2.For this reason, I ask You to start a new company TAW in early August, so I have time to fully enjoy the game on the most wonderful server in the world!

Well, if you do not run, i  have to drink a lot of beer in the evenings and every third Cup will be for your excellent team))

Wow, you got your wish!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

The new TAW campaign starts on 28.07 at about 10:00 UTC. 

Because of the summer time and holidays there aren't many changes. I decided to have a break (for the first time) from developing/improving/fixing etc. between campaigns.

Changes:

• 20 hours time penalty when counter "Lives on Map" drop below 0. It was 24h before. (info: when this counter drops below 0 then it's automatically increased by 1)
  • The enemy airfield is closed if attacking tank convoy is about 25km from it. It's still 15km for border airfields. 

Registration is open.

Good luck!

Bring Back BoBP planes to last map please.

[Trump voice] HUGE disappointment they were removed. 

Cheers :biggrin:

Edited by CptSiddy
  • Upvote 3

I actually rather not have bobp planes and have a proper eastern front campaign with a matching planeset :( 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Once again asking to neuter the PE2 gunners.  They  make impossible shots and get kills while the plane is outrunning the "TOP LINE" fighter for the Axis.

third map and I'm already set to start ramming to get rid of PE2s.  But hell why worry when you can just fly 3 5 minute transport flights to get it back

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, JG51_Ogg said:

Once again asking to neuter the PE2 gunners.  They  make impossible shots and get kills while the plane is outrunning the "TOP LINE" fighter for the Axis.

third map and I'm already set to start ramming to get rid of PE2s.  But hell why worry when you can just fly 3 5 minute transport flights to get it back

You probably cant catch them because you're one of those people who wait above the objective and wait for the pe2's who have already dropped there bombs and are halfway out of danger, Why dont fighters actually be useful to the team and "Intercept" pe2's before they hit there target, while they're still climbing and low on speed.... Hell, if you can get them to atleast drop there bombs that would be better then a kill in my opinion. 

In simple terms, of course you're not going to catch a twin engine bomber that just dove from 2000m when you have a clipped low powered 109. Play it smarter.

• Upvote 8

Are there player number limitations for each side this time around?

15 minutes ago, ACG_ItsDrifter said:

You probably cant catch them because you're one of those people who wait above the objective and wait for the pe2's who have already dropped there bombs and are halfway out of danger, Why dont fighters actually be useful to the team and "Intercept" pe2's before they hit there target, while they're still climbing and low on speed.... Hell, if you can get them to atleast drop there bombs that would be better then a kill in my opinion. 

In simple terms, of course you're not going to catch a twin engine bomber that just dove from 2000m when you have a clipped low powered 109. Play it smarter.

This

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ACG_ItsDrifter said:

Yes, this how should be done, btw to encourage this we should have more points by destroying bomber with bomb load or if dropped but not on targets

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

This

b b but Riksen, that means you have to go on wrong side of the map and risk capture.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

Are there player number limitations for each side this time around?

Yeah

Hi, Kathon, I am asking you to unban my friend from Ukraine, nickname XYHTA, he previously had a different nickname. He has been warned about such an inapproriate nickname by someone from your team. He logged off to change a nickname and when he came back, he already had been banned. He realizes how inconvenient his actions were and feels sorry for it. Please unban him. We'll appreciate that.

1 hour ago, CptSiddy said:

b b but Riksen, that means you have to go on wrong side of the map and risk capture.

Yep, risk/reward.

Stating the obvious here but if you are CAP’ing over your friendly targets you have less risk and less reward since you have to chase a lighter/faster bomber racing to get home.  As has been suggested, go over the front line a bit and your risk goes up, but your reward does as well with a slower, heavier bomber and thus easier to overtake and line up shots on.

I see the same thing on both sides - trying to catch a Ju-88 (or to a lesser degree He-111 even) after they have dropped and are heading home is a much more difficult proposition than catching one on the way to their target.  No need to dumb down defensive fire, both sides’ bomber pilots are already a braver bunch in my book, why make their chance of survival that much less by reducing the only thing that keeps them alive a little longer...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

Yep, risk/reward.

Stating the obvious here but if you are CAP’ing over your friendly targets you have less risk and less reward since you have to chase a lighter/faster bomber racing to get home.  As has been suggested, go over the front line a bit and your risk goes up, but your reward does as well with a slower, heavier bomber and thus easier to overtake and line up shots on.

I see the same thing on both sides - trying to catch a Ju-88 (or to a lesser degree He-111 even) after they have dropped and are heading home is a much more difficult proposition than catching one on the way to their target.  No need to dumb down defensive fire, both sides’ bomber pilots are already a braver bunch in my book, why make their chance of survival that much less by reducing the only thing that keeps them alive a little longer...

Exactly. You are not dping your team any good pretending to protect ypur ground assets by sitting right on top of them like the majority of fighters do. By the time you see a bomber ingressing he is already too close to the bomb drop so that is totally useless. Caping has to be at least 10 to 20km behind enemy in the ingress route to actually intercept the bomber before the drop.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like chuting killing is a thing - again aye? :salute:

Edited by JG7_X-Man

22 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

Rammer cries in pain as he hits you.

http://taw-server.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=2239&name=Cpt_Siddy

Dude! Why would I intentionally ram you? What reason would I have to lose my virtual life for a kill that I wouldn't get credit for anyway? Do the math - ramming doesn't have any payoff since we all get only 3 lives. I got to close - it's called a mistake. 

I use to think you were smart.

2 minutes ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Dude! Why would I intentionally ram you? What reason would I have to lose my virtual life for a kill that I wouldn't get credit for anyway? Do the math - ramming doesn't have any payoff since we all get only 3 lives. I got to close - it's called a mistake. 

I use to think you were smart.

just messing with u mang :^) 

Do we have to re-register each campaign?  I tried to log in and it said my info was not recognized

15 minutes ago, FeuerFliegen said:

Do we have to re-register each campaign?  I tried to log in and it said my info was not recognized

Yes 

Posted (edited)

Hi, been having a lot of fun on the server since it started up again.

Just wondering - are the “3” lives what you get for the entirety of the campaign, or is it for each map? And is there any way to replenish them? I couldn’t find this in the manual. Thanks!

Edited by deaddonkey

Thanks for the new campaing.

I was looking for the new rule of 25km for the tanks that keep the AF close, I think need back for 15 o 10km, with 25km AF in the front was close, yesterday Lotochino was close all day even destroying the column, new one appears at 25 and keep the AF close.

Well is just a suggestion as always,

Thank you.

• Like 1

I see on the site there is an official TeamSpeak server. Is there any official Discords? Which system do most people use?

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, ACG_ItsDrifter said:

First, I was at 5K waiting between the AF they were bombing and their home AF.  They (4 PE2s) were on the deck flying around in the AF flak.  I waited for them to exit the flak and fly directly under me.  I did however misjudge my dive and ended up having to roll back around into them.  As I made a 120 degree attack from the head I was shot down by the tail-gunner of the lead plane as I passed them headed away at around a 60 degree run.  My wingman didn't fare as well as he dropped in behind the tail end charlie and was killed before he could get into guns range.  4 PE2s flying in Flak and not so much as a coolant leak but Vasili sits in the back for anyone who comes by.  I'm asking for realistic skills from tail gunners.

Look I'm not saying you can't defend yourself.  I'm saying you need a human gunner back there to protect yourself.  Fly it realistically and defend it realistically.

Those are the "simple terms"  I'd make a short movie but then you'd make an excuse for that too.

And do you really think if I am this far above the cloud cover waiting for prey I'd be a deck monkey with clear skies?

Edited by JG51_Ogg

47 minutes ago, JG51_Ogg said:

First, I was at 5K waiting between the AF they were bombing and their home AF.  They (4 PE2s) were on the deck flying around in the AF flak.  I waited for them to exit the flak and fly directly under me.  I did however misjudge my dive and ended up having to roll back around into them.  As I made a 120 degree attack from the head I was shot down by the tail-gunner of the lead plane as I passed them headed away at around a 60 degree run.  My wingman didn't fare as well as he dropped in behind the tail end charlie and was killed before he could get into guns range.  4 PE2s flying in Flak and not so much as a coolant leak but Vasili sits in the back for anyone who comes by.  I'm asking for realistic skills from tail gunners.

Look I'm not saying you can't defend yourself.  I'm saying you need a human gunner back there to protect yourself.  Fly it realistically and defend it realistically.

Those are the "simple terms"  I'd make a short movie but then you'd make an excuse for that too.

And do you really think if I am this far above the cloud cover waiting for prey I'd be a deck monkey with clear skies?

Firstly, I fully acknowledge that online tail gunners do funny online things from time to time.  Single Player Ace AI is still brutal, but can be managed. 

That said, let's for the sake of discussion say that the Ping Gods were not up to any funky tricks and the AI was operating normally.  

Your description of the attack indicates to me that you did not attack the leader plane first.  This means that while attacking the other plane, you more than likely flew into the firing arc of the leader's gunner.  It's also quite possible that from the gunner's view you showed him a profile that exposed your belly or gave a larger view of your topside.    

5 Rules I've learned about attacking bombers:

1) Always go for the formation leader/the plane out in front, FIRST. -  Even from an on-6 attack, and with the correct angle, that's 1 tail gunner to worry about and not the whole formation of gunners.

2) KEEP a small profile and NEVER show the enemy your belly.  The reasons for that should be obvious.

3) If it can be avoided, NEVER pull up sharply after an attack or at all until you are clear of the gunners. (If you have a dart board mounted on the topside of your plane somewhere, then feel free. lol)

INSTEAD, dive away as much as needed but as shallow as possible to one side, keeping the wings as level as possible on the roll axis, to keep a low tail profile. Doing small, sharp "sidesteps" and jukes with the rudder while staying on the current heading helps too.  Extend away and reset for another attack.   

4) If you are on the six of a bomber and are going to overshoot, then overshoot.  Trying to maneuver to stay on his tail bleeds energy, increases the possibility of showing the gunner a larger profile of your plane and makes you an easier target. 

INSTEAD, get past the gunner's firing arc quickly and extend away so you can reset for another attack.  It's better to have the possibility of the pilot front gunning at you until you're out of range, or his ability to point the gun at you is spoiled, than have tail gunner(s) shooting while you're in a lowered energy state. 

5) NEVER attack from dead-on 6 - unless the plane's tail design prevents the gunner from shooting.  Then. do so at your own risk. 

All this considered and, again, for the sake of discussion, if the Ping Gods were behaving, the attack you described still gave the lead plane's gunner a 2/5 chance of hitting you on a mostly-aimed spray-and-pray.  That's 40% for every bullet in the burst.

*Granted, there are other factors that lower this a bit, but considering that there are many situations where even 1/10 odds are very good for success, 2/5 odds are actually VERY, VERY GOOD for the gunner at that point.   

Or... The internet is a place that pranks us all from time to time and unreal/unlikely/just not possible things sometimes occur.

Or... There's a specially designed hyper-accurate gunner AI that only activates in multiplayer, and hates Axis planes. 

I'm ALL for explanation 1 and somewhat for the possibility of explanation 2.  After many hours in single player toying with ace AI  Pe-2s and German bombers, I reject explanation 3.  

That's what I've decided for myself.  

What you choose to see is up to you.  

• Upvote 3