Game version 4.601 discussion: Spitfire Mk.XIV, Nieuport 28.C1, GAZ-MM 72-K, other changes

Han

6./ZG26_5tuka
4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Important unanswered questions regarding the GAZ. 😉

Does it have a horn? And if it does, does it go 'Parp Parp' or 'Aroooga'?

How fast does it go?

Can you do a Scandinavian flick with it?

And perhaps most important, can you fire the gun while it's moving? Probably not standard practice in an AA role, but you never know when it might come in handy...

1. Yes, but it goes more like "Beeep Beeep". No Ahooga unfortunately. And yes, the horn can be blown off so that you can't honk at people anymore.

2. About 65 km/h on road, 25 km/h offroad.

3. No. Too top heavy. If you try it will topple over and your crew will be thron off and run away.

4. Yes. You can do manually or tell your ai gunner to fire on the move (although it is way less accurate).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Vortice said:

As early as the Mk. V version pilots were asking their armourers to remove the 303s to save weight and increase manoeuvrability by removing mass from the outboard sections of the wings.

And because they were useless.

I can't fathom why 8 .303 would (rightly) be deemed inadequate by most pilots circa 1940, but somehow only 4 of them would be considered viable in '44 and '45. Even the Japanese had moved on to 12.7mm by '44; and I say 'even' them because they were obsessed with making planes as light as possible.

3 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

The Spit XIV does a lovely inverted spin, for those that are interested in that sort of thing. Might even be worth doing a few times if you aren't just so you know how to recognise it if you get into one accidentally, though that will probably take some clumsy flying. Fortunately, just letting the controls go will recover, assuming you are high enough.

Oddly, to me at least, the XIV feels a lot like a 109's handling now. I don't find it as jarringly different from the earlier marks as I thought it'd be. I tried stalling it by entering vertical loops around 230 MPH. Control was adequate at the top of the loop.

In terms of combat, I tried chasing a 109 Late around (with MW-50) and it was much easier to follow in the vertical, but considerably more difficult to out-turn than it would be in a IX. Still, I wouldn't say the 109 has a turning advantage over the XIV.

I also managed to land it cleanly, no looping, which surprised me. I only loop the IX, not the V or XIV.

• 1CGS
-DED-Rapidus
52 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Oh, and what's up with the cloudy armored glass on the Mustang now?  Not good.

what happened to the armored glass?

• Sad 1

II/JG17_HerrMurf
29 minutes ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

It has a gray haze. I haven't flown in several weeks so I don't know if this is a new phenomena or the way it has been previously. I don't remember the haze in earlier versions though.

• Upvote 6

US28_Baer

17. Flying Circus aircraft visibility at large distances has been corrected to correspond to other aircraft in the game (it was 3 times lower);

21. Modeling of the putting out the fuel tank fire by sideslipping the aircraft at high speed has been improved;

Congrats on a very sizeable release.

Can we get some clarity on the above items?

17. This sounds like aircraft are going to look even larger at longer range! There was already a 'lite' version of Enhanced Visibilty as the standard in-game viz prior to 4.601, and with it, small  aircraft like Camels and Dr1s were visible well over 25-30km away. Why make them even larger and easier to see?  It seems unrealistic and doesn't suit the slow moving WW1 environment at all. 

Enhanced Viz exists for servers that wish to use it. Can we go back to a standard viz without long range enhancement? No large blobs at long range that get smaller as you get closer or zoom in?

21. By improved,  I hope this means much, much more difficult to put out. In FC aircraft fires have recently been super easy to extinguish and being set on fire is no cause for alarm. Very much the opposite of every pilot account one reads. 

Edited by US28_Baer
  • Upvote 1

1PL-Husar-1Esk

Never had problems with far contact visibility even on enhanced visibility off option.  Never guess it was wrong,  for me spotting was very easy, I can see cons dozens miles away... need to see how it is now. 

fergal69

Woooooo

With the worldwide pandemic causing lockdowns, working from home, etc. The last 12 months have flown past. 

Is it now Christmas already with the contents of this release?

Thanks developers for the work that you are still managing to do in the current climate & looking forward to next update.

• Thanks 1

Aurora_Stealth
14 hours ago, Vortice said:

No sane person should ever attempt to go up against late-war German fighters using 303s. You will be signing your own death warrant.

14 hours ago, Denum said:

Why wouldn't you? They still kill pilots no problem 

Yeah, it'll kill them with laughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vortice said:

And because they were useless.

They're pretty useful for aiming with - same reason il2's carried LMG's. I also find the .303's in the Vb pretty useful for forcing a maneuver or scaring an opponent in a LW aircraft that outperforms me by sending a few whizzing past their cockpit...

9 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I guess it's the return of the "Wobble".

I have to disagree there; though it may be a perception thing? I spent a fair whack of time in the XIV last night and found the handling crisp and responsive; a heavier IX on steroids. The nose went where I put it, and dang, she gets where she's going fast. EDIT @BlitzPig_EL, one thing I just thought might be causing your wobble is that the default trim in the XIV is pretty nose high (the same is true in the Vb, but NOT in the IX for some reason). Is it possible this is causing your float / wobble?

14 hours ago, Stiggles said:

I have one question regarding the new plane numbering system: Will there be blank versions of the other official skins added in so we have a few more choices for the base skin, or will that be left to the community? The new system is great, but you can only use it on two skins without it having letters overlapping the existing letters.

I think if you look at the skins with the XIV you can see where the devs are going here; we've got the five generic 'day fighter' schemes, which are blank for the inclusion of custom lettering / numbering, and the rest of the skins recreate specific individual aircraft. Jason has expressed his desire to add more generic skin options to existing aircraft - you can already see this if you look at last weeks DD and the poster of the IX skins; there is a 'standard day fighter', 'standard lend lease' and 'standard desert fighter' scheme, all of which will work with the new lettering. I think that this is a good mix of detailed individual skins (sometimes you just want to fly Moonraker or be Johnnie Johnson), and offering generic, customisable skins.

I was thrilled by my stick time in the XIV last night, she's an absolute beast up high, and its incredible to have one in the sim. I don't think she'll quite displace the IX as my favourite mount, but I can see us being very good friends. The standard of modelling gets higher and higher; the cockpit is just gorgeous. The new bomb explosions look fantastic. Thanks devs for a significant update! 

Edited by Diggun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

BlitzPig_EL
7 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

The forward view through the armored glass windscreen in the P51 is very much more hazy than it was before the patch.  Every one of my squad mates that flew last night commented on it.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Irishratticus72
22 hours ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

Th new explosions are amazing!

Just hopped into the GAZ... and manged to hit a bomber! Woohoo! :hunter:

Seriously though, In the few minutes i have played with it,  i think you guys have done an amazing job....my poor dog isn't going for his walk today.

Thanks again guys, you da best!

Dog walking is overrated. Cat walking, on the other hand... 

• Haha 2

rogueblade

So if I understand correctly, there is single player campaign content for the Spit Vb and now the XIV, but still not for the IX?

Edited by rogueblade

itsbillyfrazier
7 minutes ago, Irishratticus72 said:

Dog walking is overrated. Cat walking, on the other hand... 

I'm still mourning my poor cat... But I don't think i would have dared to put a lead on him to bring him for a walk, he was a fairly vicious little fella when he didn't get his way... My German Shepherd always knew better and just let him steal his food for fear of getting cat slapped! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The forward view through the armored glass windscreen in the P51 is very much more hazy than it was before the patch.  Every one of my squad mates that flew last night commented on it.

I hate to sound oblivious to it but was the windscreen always tinted blue???

• Upvote 1

Irishratticus72
13 minutes ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

I'm still mourning my poor cat... But I don't think i would have dared to put a lead on him to bring him for a walk, he was a fairly vicious little fella when he didn't get his way... My German Shepherd always knew better and just let him steal his food for fear of getting cat slapped! 😄

Sympathies on losing your fur baby, I walk one of ours around the complex most days, she follows at a respectful distance, looking like she's not actually walking with me, but making sure I'm still in hearing range, she likes to walk on the low wall, all the better to see any dogs coming, which she then prepares to knock the bollocks out of, I've had to tell the owners to make sure they're on a tight lead, she'll batter them. For real. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1CGS
-DED-Rapidus
44 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Thanks for the tip, we are dealing with the problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 6

sevenless
31 minutes ago, rogueblade said:

So if I understand correctly, there is single player campaign content for the Spit Vb and now the XIV, but still not for the IX?

There are singleplayer careers for all three of the Spits. IXe and XIV in BoBP and Vb in BoK. As for BoN there has been no official announcement yet, but I think it is highly likely that it will include careers for all three of em.

Edited by sevenless

BornToBattle
6 minutes ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

Amazing. I only wish other dev teams were on top of things as you guys are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Motherbrain

Oh yes... oh yes, yes, yessss 😄

2021_4_22__11_53_43.thumb.jpg.49a80855afe946db217c01e4bb497603.jpg

By the way... a little hint to future Griffon Spitfire skinners... 😉

82A8CD71-93FB-4241-A73C-B6DF14447434_100-sh72229.thumb.jpg.64eba61adb736ae95b6e5fc38d4c9333.jpg

• Like 3

Avimimus
6 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Never had problems with far contact visibility even on enhanced visibility off option.  Never guess it was wrong,  for me spotting was very easy, I can see cons dozens miles away... need to see how it is now. 

What resolution and video settings?

10 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Have to agree here.  The Mk. XIV feels like all the planes felt in the early days, I guess it's the return of the "Wobble".  Kinda disappointed with her.  I was expecting a lot from this aircraft, but after a few hours flying against human and AI adversaries, I'll take the Tempest or P51 over the Mk. XIV in anything but a race to altitude.

At the altitudes that most combat in the sim takes place the Tempest is a better aircraft, and the Mustang has better balanced handling over the speed range than the Spit XIV.  I fear something is amiss here.

I actually got really interested in this Spitfire... with its increased instability and weird spin characteristics. I suppose they're related to the Griffon engine (and should make us glad of the modified increased-area horizontal stabiliser?) Anyway, it is a lot of fun to figure out how to fly some trick maneouvres.

Anyway, given its speed, climb rate, and turn rate... I doubt anyone can call it a bad fighter - just one which doesn't provide all possible capabilities with no downsides.

Edited by Avimimus

1PL-Husar-1Esk
11 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

What resolution and video settings?

3440x1440 34" 

[KEY = graphics]
      3dhud = 0
      adapter = 0
      bloom_enable = 1
      canopy_ref = 0
      desktop_center = 1
      detail_rt_res = 1024
      draw_distance = 1.00000
      far_blocks = 1
      fps_counter = 0
      fps_limit = 0
      full_height = 768
      full_width = 1280
      fullscreen = 0
      gamma = 0.90000
      grass_distance = 100.00000
      hdr_enable = 1
      land_anisotropy = 2
      land_detail = 3
      land_tex_lods = 3
      max_cache_res = 1
      max_clouds_quality = 2
      mgpu_compatible = 0
      mirrors = 0
      msaa = 1
      multisampling = 1
      or_ca = 0.00000
      or_dummy = 0
      or_enable = 0
      post_sharpen = 1
      preset = 2
      prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr = 155
      rescale_target = 1.00000
      shadows_quality = 3
      ssao_enable = 0
      vsync = 0
      win_height = 1440
      win_width = 3440
[END]

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Thanks 1

dukethejuke
23 hours ago, Diggun said:

sounds like a challenge....

What say you @dukethejuke? You're pretty durn handy with the Sherman's .50 cal. 'Terror of the 110s' they call him 😄

Walk in the park...

• Like 1

=VARP=Ribbon
1 hour ago, Motherbrain said:

Oh yes... oh yes, yes, yessss 😄

2021_4_22__11_53_43.thumb.jpg.49a80855afe946db217c01e4bb497603.jpg

By the way... a little hint to future Griffon Spitfire skinners... 😉

82A8CD71-93FB-4241-A73C-B6DF14447434_100-sh72229.thumb.jpg.64eba61adb736ae95b6e5fc38d4c9333.jpg

I made that skin for SpitVb

Danziger

Downloaded the patch and now everything works great. That gaz is a ton of fun! We drove around an airfield lighting up parked 111s and a couple of 87s lining up for takeoff.

I can't wait to do up some rat rod skins and a big chrome plated gun.

Edited by Danziger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Danziger said:

rat rod skins and a big chrome plated gun.

red wunz go fasta?

Avimimus
1 hour ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

3440x1440 34" 

Thanks! I'll try sharpening and some other adjustments

I suspect the issue is mainly 1920x1080 21" though! :) It makes it a bit harder to track targets. I also wouldn't be surprised if you don't have a higher FPS (leading to smoother motion and more easy of picking out the relative motion of a fighter against the terrain). I should upgrade soon (my current computer was  bought for Cliffs of Dover).

IckyATLAS

Download was 4GB. Works perfectly.

Very happy we get the GAZ 72, for my Kuban campaign it fits very well. All improvements in effects like ground and water explosions are very welcome, and I thank the devs for all these continued improvements.

However I have a but and a very big BUT: All my chimney smoke effects have got their altitude changed and sometimes by hundreds of meters. And I have lots of them in each of my missions on the Kuban map. 

Now that is a big pain in the ass. I will have to modify them one by one manually. The altitude (not above ground) is variable as it is an absolute altitude and the chimney ground level is variable depending where it is on the map. So for each chimney you have to add the chimney length with the ground level altitude to have the right altitude for the smoke effect. The altitude that was set in the properties of each chimney smoke effect has been changed at values without any specific pattern. I have a mission where they all moved to 341.72mt. In other missions it is variable and so very difficult to understand the logic of it. All my missions are in the same Kuban summer map, so why such difference from one mission file to the other.

The same issue has appeared many times with ground smoke and fire effects where altitudes get corrupted, but that issue is easy to repair as you can select all of them and in one click you can set them on the ground on the map. So each one gets the right ground altitude. But Chimney smoke is different as you cannot do that. And there are different chimney, smokestack lengths. The position of the effect related to the smokestack has also been offset on X and Z by 1 to 2 mt.

PLEASE in the future consider these "little" things when changing mission format, we will be very grateful.

Static blocks like trains, carriages etc are also offset by small amounts. They were perfectly positioned on the railtrack and now they are moved by 1 meter in Z and X axis so slightly offtrack or the map absolute coordinates have been offset. Not clear which one has changed but this also means additional work. For static blocks like vehicles it is less important.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Luger1969

Hi guys. I thank you for the update and the Spit.

The best part of it....I can set gamma higher than 1.2...awesome. I had so wished for that option. Small things matters.

GOA_FirebirdCRI_VR
5 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

and also this problem goes for Spitfire MKV..

x13aceofspades13

Not a big fan of how the plex plate on the front of the canopy on the P-51 looks, way too hazy...

I already shared this somewhere else, but in the instance someone didn't see it, this it what it looks like in real life, yes not quite as clear as the rest of the canopy, but as far as I am concerned the current model after this update is way too hazy...

• Upvote 6

CIA_Yankee_
5 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

Awesome, noticed that last night too in VR. Definitely made things a bit more challenging. Thank you for looking into it.

Missionbug

Downloaded and installed latest update, all seems good so far.:cool:

Thank you very much to all involved, really appreciated.:drinks:

I really like the Gaz, I might spend some time sight seeing instead of flying when I next have a few hours.😲

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Frequent_Flyer
9 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Agreed, a very yellow film. Should be clean and clear, with no grimy build up either.

• Upvote 2

[CPT]HarryM

Shooting planes with the GAZ reminds me alot of manning the AA guns in Silent Hunter 4. Not easy if they are not flying straight at you or overhead.

Edited by [CPT]HarryM
  • Like 1

US93_Wright

Fine ill post again, why is it possible for a Spad 13 to out-turn a nieuport 28? Not saying your wrong just asking? It was said to be able to at least match the Albatross DVa. And was considered a good plane to the point that some pilots even preferred it to the new Spads. But I'm open to the possibility i could be wrong I just would like a reason. 

Edited by Titanslayer63

Legioneod
9 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Thanks! I'll try sharpening and some other adjustments

I suspect the issue is mainly 1920x1080 21" though! :) It makes it a bit harder to track targets. I also wouldn't be surprised if you don't have a higher FPS (leading to smoother motion and more easy of picking out the relative motion of a fighter against the terrain). I should upgrade soon (my current computer was  bought for Cliffs of Dover).

I just upgraded my monitor from 1080p 22” to a 1440p 27” monitor and I notice a big difference in spotting.  Imo the higher resolution really helps.

• Thanks 1

RasterOp98

I just encountered a strange "teleporting"  bug on playback of flight records following the 4.601 upgrade.  I am reminded of Nightcrawler from X-Men 🙂

I am in player external camera view with the enemy padlocked.   I've uploaded a short minute-long video that shows the problem at 32s, 38s, 50s and 53s.  That short video may be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mPAYDalakJDz8rguyPIGDOVy-_BRBFaz/view?usp=sharing
If devs need access to the track files, i can make them available too.  

My guess at what's happening is that, in game, at those times listed above,  I am switching from player cockpit view to external camera view with enemy padlocked and that is confusing the track file recording.

Thanks to all who contribute to IL-2 Great Battles--it's such a blast!

• Thanks 1

• AKA_Ramstein changed the title to What was the patch we got on Friday 05-07-2021 ?
  • Han unpinned this topic