Game version 4.601 discussion: Spitfire Mk.XIV, Nieuport 28.C1, GAZ-MM 72-K, other changes

Han

1 hour ago, Titanslayer63 said:

Fine ill post again, why is it possible for a Spad 13 to out-turn a nieuport 28? Not saying your wrong just asking? It was said to be able to at least match the Albatross DVa. And was considered a good plane to the point that some pilots even preferred it to the new Spads. But I'm open to the possibility i could be wrong I just would like a reason. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Have to agree here.  The Mk. XIV feels like all the planes felt in the early days, I guess it's the return of the "Wobble".  Kinda disappointed with her.  I was expecting a lot from this aircraft, but after a few hours flying against human and AI adversaries, I'll take the Tempest or P51 over the Mk. XIV in anything but a race to altitude.

At the altitudes that most combat in the sim takes place the Tempest is a better aircraft, and the Mustang has better balanced handling over the speed range than the Spit XIV.  I fear something is amiss here.

Oh, and what's up with the cloudy armored glass on the Mustang now?  Not good. 

I just did some tests, 4x4, ace AI, enemy flight in 109K-4s with the DC engine. Low altitude start.

I agree that the Tempest makes my scenario relatively easy. But I think it's a toss-up between the XIV and the P-51; a matter of taste.

What I like about the XIV is that I can really feel the climbing power. I normally don't use vertical maneuvers, but the XIV makes me want to. I know that on paper the later 109s will climb about the same; but they don't feel as smooth, and stalling seems to be more common.

Also, we should remember that comparing the XIV to other Allied planes is kind of gamey. Comparing apples and apples (within the Spitfire family), it kept up with the 109 better than the IX did (in my tests). It's a clear improvement in flat-out performance. Overall handling is degraded as should be expected from a different, heavier engine. I liken it to the difference between the 109 F-4 and the G-6. The XIV will stall out of turns much more readily than the IX, just as the G-6 will compared to the F-4.

All that aside, I do agree about the now-opaque P-51 glass. At first I thought everyone was exaggerating, but I tried it out myself, and a white-painted 109 I was chasing all but disappeared against the blue sky. I would've lost him completely had he not been trailing smoke.

• Upvote 1

US28_Baer
On 4/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Never had problems with far contact visibility even on enhanced visibility off option.  Never guess it was wrong,  for me spotting was very easy, I can see cons dozens miles away... need to see how it is now. 

Of course spotting has been very easy,  it's been enhanced at long range since several updates ago.

4.601 accentuates this effect even more! Essentially Enhanced Viz is now standard viz. Why? It creates unrealistic view distances,  its not needed for gameplay in FC and it creates bizarre counter- intuitive visibility where contacts are large at long range, then nearly disappear as you get closer,  then large again at close range.

Trying to judge range now takes mental gymnastics to figure out how much effect the EV is having. 

Please remove this for FC and allow servers to implement EV if they choose. 

Edited by US28_Baer
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

CIA_Yankee_
15 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

Thanks for the tip, we are dealing with the problem.

Any hints on whether the P-51's canopy will be hotfixed? Tried on a summer map today, and in VR it's definitely a major challenge to keep eyes on target. Gotta be completely padlocked the moment they pass over anything that remotely blends it, or you've lost it.

• Upvote 1

timski711
On 4/21/2021 at 12:51 PM, D43-*_ said:

Great update but I still have the micro stutters in single player and campains.

After this update, I am also experiencing micro-stuttering with all single player missions, including the in-game missions set and missions generated by SYN_Vander's Easy Generator. Any thoughts on where to look for a fix?

• Like 1

BH_Adabadoo_VR
On 4/21/2021 at 7:38 AM, WheelwrightPL said:

21. Modeling of the putting out the fuel tank fire by sideslipping the aircraft at high speed has been improved;

So you can put out an engine fire now ? That would be awesome if possible, but how is sideslipping even useful for doing that ?

However for me managing 2-engined planes is still too cumbersome because there are no separate buttons for feathering each propeller.

Please add separate buttons for feathering each propeller.

I have thrustmaster hotas

On the throttle I use EAC ARM off to select engine 1

radar alt to select engine 2

autopilot path up selects both engines

autopilot middle does nothing and is default

autopilot down alt mode feathers selected engine

Works great and allows to control engines separately for all controls easily and then go  back to controlling all engines.

Only works for 2 engines though it could be for 4 engines with a shift modifier key bind.

I use it for the P38 and BF110.  I love getting damage to one engine feathering it and nursing it home with crab the entire way.

Super fun!

On 4/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

so I looked through the notes twice, but it is clear that the 51 windscreen was changed, darkened.  It's like looking through mud now.  Easy to tell.  Look at the many videos before patch and compare.  Noticed it right away.  

What's the deal here?  Was this supposed to be a change or not?  

Agreed noticed this immediately.

Reminds me of the tempest.  Not sure why that one is so dark too.

I love the tempest but hate that dark screen.  Wish it was an option or gone.

Love my P-51 but defiantly something not good about he dark front of canopy now.

4 hours ago, CIA_Yankee_ said:

Any hints on whether the P-51's canopy will be hotfixed? Tried on a summer map today, and in VR it's definitely a major challenge to keep eyes on target. Gotta be completely padlocked the moment they pass over anything that remotely blends it, or you've lost it.

I agree with all the P-51 canopy is very hard to use after update but does anyone else feel that the Tempest also suffers from an very overly dark front canopy too?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

pocketshaver

Things are really different now, and i am not happy with it. 

The damage effects are not enjoyable. I am used to ugly "grey splotches" on my plane when i get shot,  NOW i dont see that, but i see the bug ugly as hell grey splotches on planes I am shooting at. 

Has anything been done to the german/italian 20mm ammunition?  I just put 300 rounds into a C47 and b25 wings, and all i did was make the engine SMOKE heavily and have the plane fall out of the sky.....  not righ...

I had 1 plane EXPLODE in front of me, all that happened was a big smoke cloud, and the whole intact plane fell..

Also turning with them seems EASIER now, although the red guide arrows seem to get stuck on the spawn point until im inside 500m distance

The AI on the bombers is now shooting at 850m instead of waiting until 550m. what gives....

Every third pass I make regardless of angle, B25D gunner gets my oil or fuel tank. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Proving that the Spit is different, i.e. the prop goes the other way, my skills at take off have dropped to zero again, lol, going thru prop blades and fighting to keep it on the runway, not off the ground yet, but LOVE the look of the aircraft. thank you

• 1CGS
-DED-Rapidus
9 hours ago, CIA_Yankee_ said:

The problem is fixed, when there will be a hotfix I can't say yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 7

BlitzPig_EL

Thank you for the rapid response on this!

Spasibo!

4 hours ago, scotsmanFlyingscotsman said:

Proving that the Spit is different, i.e. the prop goes the other way, my skills at take off have dropped to zero again, lol, going thru prop blades and fighting to keep it on the runway, not off the ground yet, but LOVE the look of the aircraft. thank you

Get the prop pitch to 100%, easy on the throttle with full back elevator and counter rudder.  As she builds speed on the ground, open up the throttle and ease up on the elevator.

Now the fun part, combat - use your trim before engaging and set at least 1 mark or 2 up, that'll have her dancing happily with the enemy.  Watch the 109 G6 Lates and above for if they get behind you and hit your tail, your walking home. 

The XIV is a fun plane and really hauls around they sky.:dance:

• Like 1

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

Add me to the list of peole who completely forgot that the Griffon is rotating clockwise......that first takeoff attempt was glorious!

• Haha 2

scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Thank you Blitze for the advice, have had a combat by cheating and starting in the air, it was not as simple as I thought, yes the Trim is required or very nose heavy.

GiftZahnsSteigern

Gosh, what a difference in Career mode. No more lollygagging around the Ground Troops, going BINGO fuel just as Jerry decides to make an appearance. You'll be lucky to make it to the first WP before contact. I think one of the Graphics Improvements mentioned in the 4.006 Release Notes may be optimizations allowing for more objects in play. The number of enemy resources fielded is astonishing when Front Activity is set at Dense. And no stuttering, at least on my rig.

Well done.

And my Spit XIV pilot, one Reggy Saxe-Coburg (and Gotha), is Flight Commander already, without any of the usual 'Friendly Fire' incidents. (Yes, some are doing better under Covid restrictions than others.)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

=621=Samikatz
13 minutes ago, GiftZahnsSteigern said:

I think one of the Graphics Improvements mentioned in the 4.006 Release Notes may be optimizations allowing for more objects in play. The number of enemy resources fielded is astonishing when Front Activity is set at Dense. And no stuttering, at least on my rig.

I noticed this! I thought I was going a little bit mad when I started up a mission I was used to some stutter and time-warp in and it just ran perfectly fine

This also might be me getting a little worse at flying, but the AI felt a lot more aggressive too. I remember them not being able to get close to the turning limits of their aircraft, and thus being easy to lazily evade, but lately I've had to be much more violent with my maneuvers to stay safe

I./JG52_Woutwocampe
1 hour ago, =621=Samikatz said:

I noticed this! I thought I was going a little bit mad when I started up a mission I was used to some stutter and time-warp in and it just ran perfectly fine

This also might be me getting a little worse at flying, but the AI felt a lot more aggressive too. I remember them not being able to get close to the turning limits of their aircraft, and thus being easy to lazily evade, but lately I've had to be much more violent with my maneuvers to stay safe

The AI is much more agressive. That includes crashing when trying to catch a low flying opponent. They commit suicide very agressively now.

3 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

The AI still doesn't turn a Spit as hard as it can, but its overall performance in the XIV is solid so far.

20210423145544_1.thumb.jpg.bfebc137bbb798082afbd99f152ba336.jpg

This is on hard difficulty. I've watched the AI make pretty impressive slashing attacks in the XIV, including on turning targets. These death totals are a bit high, but I've never seen the friendly AI score this many kills before. At least it's killing and dying, not just the latter.

coreyhkh

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the gas gauge does not seem to be working in tbe new spitfire.

Edited by coreyhkh

wwiibuff65

Love the GAZ so far...just one request for the Devs: please give us the option for EXTRA AA ammo in Modifications.  147 rounds is simply in adequate, given how hard it is to actually shoot down a plane.

• Like 1

BH_Adabadoo_VR
13 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

The problem is fixed, when there will be a hotfix I can't say yet.

THANK YOU!!!  It's killing me, really is....

• Upvote 1

IronMan595

This new armor glass look on the P-51 is a no go especially in VR. You can't really see out like before and where is this discussed in the patch notes? 

• Upvote 1

Gambit21
27 minutes ago, IronMan595 said:

This new armor glass look on the P-51 is a no go especially in VR. You can't really see out like before and where is this discussed in the patch notes? 

?

Look up

42 minutes ago, wwiibuff65 said:

Love the GAZ so far...just one request for the Devs: please give us the option for EXTRA AA ammo in Modifications.  147 rounds is simply in adequate, given how hard it is to actually shoot down a plane.

The GAZ is best used/set up in the mission logic with unlimited ammo IME. 

• Upvote 1

BlitzPig_EL

Yeah, as long as you don't venture outside the spawn point's repair area you are golden, unless there is another way to do it?

Gambit21
2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Yeah, as long as you don't venture outside the spawn point's repair area you are golden, unless there is another way to do it?

In the single missions I have them set up with unlimited ammo in the vehicle properties. 

• Upvote 1

unreasonable

The new damage effects on the P-51 are cool: you actually get bullet holes where the bullets strike! Thank you.  

Ground testing one box of .50 cal I got 19 holes in the area of the strikes, (you can walk the sights across the wing and get a nice line), plus a few more "light damage" holes on the upper surface away from the point of aim, presumably representing general skin effects (?) .On the lower wing surface there were 5 holes - more ragged than the entry holes.  I have not tested their aerodynamic effects. 

A potentially very sophisticated visual damage system now, although I doubt it will stop the arguments. Look forwards to seeing it rolled out.

ACG_Orb
On 4/21/2021 at 3:57 PM, ACG_Mephisto said:

No luck, deleted the files, but the error message is the same unfortunately...

Meph.  I have IL2 installed on Steam and C drive. I always keep my C version one version behind for this very reason. You have to launch it it via the game .exe though to bypass the auto updater.

IckyATLAS
10 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

In the single missions I have them set up with unlimited ammo in the vehicle properties. 

Is this realistic ? 🙂 

CountZero
5 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

Is this realistic ? 🙂 

if you cant place realistic number of aa units in mission, then yes , they should have unlimited ammo.

• Like 1

BlitzPig_EL

All the AI anti aircraft units have unlimited ammo, so why shouldn't the human players?  It's far easier than trying to code a supply truck to follow you around, and less of a drag on computer resources.

BVAYAo.jpg

• Upvote 1

US213_Talbot

New vickers balloon guns sound effects are great! Definitely can hear the rate of fire difference much clearer. 

Voodoo-BlackDog

Like the P51 wasn’t bad enough Already now you can’t see through the cloudy front cockpit glass.
im done spending my hard earned cash on this sim. Nobody flies late model online multiplayer because it’s so badly modelled. The .50 cals are a joke, the spits, 47 and mustang handle like crates and now you can’t see through the armoured windshield. 

17 hours ago, IronMan595 said:

Unbelievable that they failed to mention such a hugely influential change in game just like they failed to tell us that they nerfed the P51 handling in the last patch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

CaptainFlemme

@Voodoo-BlackDog, it's a bug and has been already solved. It should be on the next hotfix (as has been said earlier in the thread).

Anyway, big thanks for the update ! The XIV is a wonderfully recreated flying machine :dance: !

jollyjack

Comparing Spit XiV vs IXe ..... i still find the latter, clipwinged, engine vitamins, with rockets, a bomb or two, and extra 303s the best version for all round clean up work.

Seems the fire power of the XiV is less ???

4 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Comparing Spit XiV vs IXe ..... i still find the latter, clipwinged, engine vitamins, with rockets, a bomb or two, and extra 303s the best version for all round clean up work.

Seems the fire power of the XiV is less ???

What on earth are you talking about? The two planes have the same armament when the XIV is armed with .50s, and there's no such thing as "extra 303s". 

FodderMonkey

Anyone else having graphics issues since the update?  Anything more than about 50m away is shrouded in opaque white.  Terrain, other aircraft, ground vehicles, etc.  Tried changing various graphics settings with no effect.  The game is essentially bricked for me right now.  I put a comment with example pics in the Nvidia thread for bugs.

Gambit21
4 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Is this realistic ? 🙂 

It’s fun...

next

Stickshaker

Thank you for the Spitfire 14; my favourite Spitfire! You can see Griffon Spitfires up close at the Battle of Britain Museum, and there is an Mk.24 at the RAF Museum at Hendon (London Underground Northern line, station Colindale). And great that you bring the Great War back to life! Unfortunately not many sim developers seem to be inclined to do this.

• AKA_Ramstein changed the title to What was the patch we got on Friday 05-07-2021 ?
  • Han unpinned this topic