New PWCG Issues Thread

PatrickAWlson

Yogiflight
2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Not really.  Your flight is an actual formation.  It is up to the game to transfer control.  It cannot be done via mission creation.

I thought so. There are really game limitations, that are frustrating. You lose your leader and the mission is over. If you than see, that the leader is always on his own, as his flight, whenever encountering enemies, flies a different way than the leader, it is sometimes hard, not to lose the interest in flying.

Thanks for your answer.

Stonehouse
7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

That is just skins and not planes that they actually fly, but it is incorrect.   Thanks for pointing it out.

Ok I figured it didn't change the plane they flew as the archtype was still fw190. It did generate two missing skins in the skins analysis though. Guessing it looked in the P40E folder for the nominated skin and couldn't find it. Glad to be able to help you in some small way.

Edited by No457_Stonehouse

I need a scroll wheel for registered users... I have more registered users than I have screen space!

image.thumb.png.0d43e309e937267130880ee4d358e895.png

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

I have more registered users than I have screen space!

What a great problem to have!  Hopefully this means that through your and others efforts as an organizers, @PatrickAWlson is helping @Jason_Williams bring Coop mainstream for another way to play MP in GB/BoX.  Great work to all involved! :salute:

Also another potential subject for @ShamrockOneFive and Stormbirds.

• Like 1

Guest deleted@210880

811th Ground attack regiment Il2 1941s based at Kachalinskaya 01/03/1945 (I think that is January 1st) spawned with green skins when it is a winter map. (I changed mine manually in the IL2 game setup but it was green there originally).

PatrickAWlson

Not all units have winter skins assigned.  Not even sure that all units flew with winter skins.  Would be curious to know the answer.

@PatrickAWlson to my above post with Erich Hartmann having 122 missions, I am just about to create my next mission, the next day, and Leutnant Erich Hartmann now has 131 missions.

EDIT: OK, it seems he gets credited 9 missions for each missin I am flying, he is now at 140. I can't remember having seen him fly a single mission.

Edited by Yogiflight

Guest deleted@210880
32 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Not all units have winter skins assigned.  Not even sure that all units flew with winter skins.  Would be curious to know the answer.

Ah ok I see, fair enough.

Is it possible to put a screen message up when the flight leaves a ground target, just saying to head home. I don't know if this would be to the liking of others though, but I would love to know when the rest of my flight are leaving the target area, by the time I notice they have left it's tricky to find them again without using auto-pilot.

PatrickAWlson
47 minutes ago, John_Yossarian said:

Ah ok I see, fair enough.

Is it possible to put a screen message up when the flight leaves a ground target, just saying to head home. I don't know if this would be to the liking of others though, but I would love to know when the rest of my flight are leaving the target area, by the time I notice they have left it's tricky to find them again without using auto-pilot.

They will stay in the target area as long as the target MCU is active.  Once the target area deactivates they will begin to fly to the egress WP.  The egress WP is important to get them out of the target area by the shortest means possible.  They go home after egress.

Time in the target area is too long, but the AI puts me in a bind.  I set it up with an approach to the target such that they should be able to enter the target area, make one pass and leave.  But the AI doesn't do that.  Whatever algorithms they have they start this relatively lengthy decision process and then they attack.  As a result the attack area is active for far longer than I would want.

=======================================================

I'm not sure if things are better since the last time I checked, but I don't think that they are.  Holding out hope though as 1C is making an effort to improve the AI, and to the extent that effort has been made (mostly fighters) it has produced good results.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, dburne said:

Flew a patrol mission in Spit MK IX in Bodenplatte campaign.

Shot down three FW190's confirmed by game, after submitting the three victories PWCG got an error.

Attached is error log PWCG generated.

It was too bad as it was a nice long well fought out mission.

Dburne Spit Bodenplatte202006101006167.zip 526.75 kB · 2 downloads

Something odd with the logs where damage could not be accounted for.  I made a code change that basically ignores this if it happens, as it is not critical to the overall AAR process.  That change let your AAR complete.  Will be part of 9.1.1

I have not yet done the analysis of WHY a damage log could not be attributed, so that is yet to come.  Either way the code change is valid as it is not worth stopping the whole process if this occurs.

I'll be damned.  It says that 34815 was damaged by 1437695.

34815 = Plt Off Ferguson Sandys

1437695 = nothing ... so which orifice the game pulled this from is anybodies guess.  It should be recorded as a spawned entity but it is not.  

OK, PWCG now handles this scenario.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Thanks 1

PatrickAWlson
14 hours ago, Sketch said:

I need a scroll wheel for registered users... I have more registered users than I have screen space!

image.thumb.png.0d43e309e937267130880ee4d358e895.png

I will add that.  In the meantime you can try temporarily using a smaller font to fit more on the page.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Something odd with the logs where damage could not be accounted for.  I made a code change that basically ignores this if it happens, as it is not critical to the overall AAR process.  That change let your AAR complete.  Will be part of 9.1.1

I have not yet done the analysis of WHY a damage log could not be attributed, so that is yet to come.  Either way the code change is valid as it is not worth stopping the whole process if this occurs.

I'll be damned.  It says that 34815 was damaged by 1437695.

34815 = Plt Off Ferguson Sandys

1437695 = nothing ... so which orifice the game pulled this from is anybodies guess.  It should be recorded as a spawned entity but it is not.  

OK, PWCG now handles this scenario.

:good:

Thanks for looking into this Pat!

Guest deleted@210880

The first radio message on a mission often gets stuck, usually, if not always, one asking to taxi to runway, is this an IL2 BoX issue rather than PWCG?

(By stuck I mean permanently displayed.)

Edited by deleted@210880

PatrickAWlson
3 hours ago, John_Yossarian said:

The first radio message on a mission often gets stuck, usually, if not always, one asking to taxi to runway, is this an IL2 BoX issue rather than PWCG?

(By stuck I mean permanently displayed.)

Never seen that before.  I don't think there us anything in PWCG that would do that.

Well from reading the messages my error might be addressed in the next update. 

Had a very good mission in my P-38 campaign and the "error message" and of course no mission credited.

Attached is the ziped file

PWCGErrorLog.zip

Edited by Taxman
Added text

migmadmarine

Me and one of the others on that flight with Twiddle-Diddles had a thought, neither of us clicked "finish mission" when we returned to base, we just left the server, and he killed the server. Might having noone "finish mission" after he died lead to none of it being looked at as the mission was considered over? 

PatrickAWlson
On 6/11/2020 at 3:14 PM, aust3298 said:

Hey Pat,

I've really been enjoying V 9.1.0.  I've had no issues until I did get this error today while doing the AAR.  Anyhoo, the error message said to post this so here 'tis.  I hope it helps.

RAF Adventures202006111406420.zip 448.45 kB · 1 download

Ran this one through 9.2.0 before I released it and the AAR worked no problem.  Not really sure what's up.  Thought it might be the same issue dburne faced but I didn't see that.  Anyhow, try again. 

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, Semor76 said:

..more flying ships, now on the Kuban Map

2020_6_13__14_17_10.jpg

Damn, those things climb better than my plane. 

Can you do me a favor and post a mission file?  Not the PWCG report error button but the actual text mission and eng files.  I have some idea what's happening but confirmation would be helpful.

Guest deleted@210880

Typo in the text for a german close air patrol fighter mission; a missing 'n' in 'opportunity'.

typo.thumb.jpg.6fe662b62712866b6442911a49ee6d67.jpg

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Damn, those things climb better than my plane. 

Can you do me a favor and post a mission file?  Not the PWCG report error button but the actual text mission and eng files.  I have some idea what's happening but confirmation would be helpful.

Yuuup. Here you go. hope it´s the right one. (Directly from Il-2´s main directory)

4 Patt.rar

Edited by Semor76

PatrickAWlson
33 minutes ago, BB-Madman said:

No target when we reached the target area......maybe our intel was bad.

Lightning202006131606519.zip 317 kB · 0 downloads

Going to need the mission file to look at that.  That is pretty surprising because as of PWCG 9 the targets for a flight are picked from ground units already in the mission.  Onl;y thing that I can think of is they somehow failed to write.

Guest deleted@210880

Relating to a previous point raised:

Some info here on use of winter white:

http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/il2guide/basic_vvs-colouration.html

Looks like for maybe one winter white was used a fair bit but fighter pilots didn't like it and eventually it was dropped entirely.

At least I understand that missing winter colours doesn't necessarily need 'fixing'.

PatrickAWlson
3 hours ago, John_Yossarian said:

Relating to a previous point raised:

Some info here on use of winter white:

http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/il2guide/basic_vvs-colouration.html

Looks like for maybe one winter white was used a fair bit but fighter pilots didn't like it and eventually it was dropped entirely.

At least I understand that missing winter colours doesn't necessarily need 'fixing'.

Skins in general need improving.  Would like to get to that but it's a much slower process than one would think.

Here's a few reports (from missions generated with 9.2.0):

1) Two different missions, same issue: Flight doesn't take off. Runway is busy. This is Ivanskoe airfield. In both cases it is a flight of four. I'm number three. 

Bf109_JG52 1941-11-11_AiNotTakingOffPart2.zip

Bf109_JG52 1941-11-10_NoOneTakesOff.zip

2) Train facilities bombing mission where flight manages to take off (flight of three). Again airfield Ivanskoe. Here the problem is that as we fly through the front lines the AI pilots drop their bombs to the nearest targets instead of waiting until we are at the real target (the train facilities). This is a bit frustrating as those guys are a bit useless from this point onwards. Just load the mission and hit autopilot to see how they react.

Bf109_JG52 1941-11-10_AIbombsNearestTarget.zip

Apart from these issues I'm still very much enjoying my fighter career with PWCG!

Hi Pat

Many thanks for your work. First time I've tried PWCG and it's very impressive and a superb addition to the game. However I am having an issue with none of my kills being recognised by PWCG, even when they have flamed in front of me and the pilot bailed, or pancaked after damage 300 metres from my home airfield when I'm directly above them. In 10 missions in the I-16 I downed about 4 aircraft and been credited with them by the game but not in PWCG, which just reports 'a vehicle' destroyed the enemy aircraft. I've seen previous posts about difficult to verify claims etc but when the game credits me the kill within 10 seconds of me opening fire I don't think that falls in the category. Despite what I put in my AAR, I'm recorded as having zero kills, so I'm not quite sure why the claim screen exists as it appears to make no difference to what PWCG records - or is this a bug?

The Great Patriotic War202006141806163.zip

I know it has nothing to do with PWCG, but I'd like to mention it again anyway: So many resources to make it as realistic as possible ... and then you're chased as a fighter by He-111 in a curve fight. A bit ridiculous.

FC Bug Report 9.2:

-Failure to generate AAR when kills were claimed

-Don't know if it is related, but also had an Unknown Object Error in this mission

-I also think that a/c fuel didn't reflect the 70% put into the mission briefing (but I might have forgotten to set it for that mission - so not sure on that one).

For some reason it generated multiple reports - all are here:

Aces over Arras202006141806279.zip Aces over Arras202006141806496.zip Aces over Arras202006141806871.zip

Ivanskoe is a cursed airfield 🤪 As a workaround for the problem that I have with runway starts (if more than 3 in flight) I tried to use cold start option. Only for all the planes to taxi and collide with a truck. Argh. Again just load the mission and hit autopilot and wait. Your flight leader will start taxing and eventually hits a truck on the way. The next plane will do the same.

Bf109_JG52 1941-11-12_coldStartTaxiingFailsAsWell.zip

I seriously think that the mission generation for Ivanskoe will need to be reviewed. 

On 6/14/2020 at 6:43 PM, TedStryker said:

Hi Pat

Many thanks for your work. First time I've tried PWCG and it's very impressive and a superb addition to the game. However I am having an issue with none of my kills being recognised by PWCG, even when they have flamed in front of me and the pilot bailed, or pancaked after damage 300 metres from my home airfield when I'm directly above them. In 10 missions in the I-16 I downed about 4 aircraft and been credited with them by the game but not in PWCG, which just reports 'a vehicle' destroyed the enemy aircraft. I've seen previous posts about difficult to verify claims etc but when the game credits me the kill within 10 seconds of me opening fire I don't think that falls in the category. Despite what I put in my AAR, I'm recorded as having zero kills, so I'm not quite sure why the claim screen exists as it appears to make no difference to what PWCG records - or is this a bug?

The Great Patriotic War202006141806163.zip 625.17 kB · 0 downloads

Been able to replicate this twice, so its not just a bugged campaign. I started 2 new campaigns with I-16s Moscow 1941 and the issues persists in both campaigns - decisively destroy enemy aircraft, pilot bails within seconds from burning plane etc, file claim in PWCG, AAR Debrief shows 'a vehicle' destroyed the plane I just downed. While the missions are fun and exciting, it seems to miss some of the point when neither myself or the squadron get the kills recorded. 

Is anyone else having these issues?

grcurmudgeon

My Mig-3 campaign in Moscow is recording my kills so far, although I've seen "a vehicle" show up in the debrief in the last mission or two. I'll keep a closer eye on it.

PatrickAWlson
39 minutes ago, TedStryker said:

Been able to replicate this twice, so its not just a bugged campaign. I started 2 new campaigns with I-16s Moscow 1941 and the issues persists in both campaigns - decisively destroy enemy aircraft, pilot bails within seconds from burning plane etc, file claim in PWCG, AAR Debrief shows 'a vehicle' destroyed the plane I just downed. While the missions are fun and exciting, it seems to miss some of the point when neither myself or the squadron get the kills recorded. 

Is anyone else having these issues?

I'll look at it.  Post the zip file when this occurs, and if you made claims please tell me what those claims were.

It is possible that a plane does not have the correct identifying string (has to be very exact and, unfortunately, it is the display name and not the plane id string).  In that case it might be getting looked at as a ground unit, which in turn is not matched so you get "a vehicle".

If I can reliably repeat the issue it will probably take me 15 minutes to fix from there.  

Pat,

I am sure you are probably tired of hearing about it, but to me the text in the GUI still seems very small, no where near what it used to be a few versions ago.

I try to increase but just cannot get it increased enough for my old eyes.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• LukeFF pinned this topic