PatrickAWlson

Gunners do not fire if WP is high priority

What the title says: gunners do not fight if the waypoint is high priority.  Any ideas as to how to get around that?

The corollary is that bombers fly like fighters if they waypoint is medium priority.  This is why getting gunners to shoot at high priority is highly desirable for me.

Known phenomenon.

The fix is getting the Devs to stop bombers from acting like fighters at medium priority.

Which bomber?

I have a bomber mission with multiple bomber waves: PE2 old and New, Ju88, He111, all waypoints set to medium. im finding they generally hold the line. PE2s and JU88s in particular will jink a bit in close passes, but quickly reform. Its not ideal, but not a dealbreaker im finding - as the waypoint speed is slow (300kmph) they get more than a wingspan or 2 out of formation before the threat has passed and they wiggle back into line.

Video of recent test below of the HE111 wave which seem to hold rigidly to their lines

(note the AI is all set to low on these bombers - i have since jacked it up so that my shoddy gunnery and reckless manouvering gets me a lot more perforations :) ): 

Latest iteration is up on the RS squadron server

7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

What the title says: gunners do not fight if the waypoint is high priority.  Any ideas as to how to get around that?

The corollary is that bombers fly like fighters if they waypoint is medium priority.  This is why getting gunners to shoot at high priority is highly desirable for me.

No clean solution. Stay Medium priority.

Other possibility is to shorten as much as possible the distance between a Medium or Low waypoint prior to the one with high priority, and playing also with the radius of the waypoint detection. I have managed to have the period of time where bombers do not fight back to be short enough to be acceptable.

For me, the A-20 and B-25 maneuver quite a bit with waypoints set to High priority.  The He111 by comparison,  flies a rock-steady straight line between waypoints no matter what.  But the AI gunner behavior is consistent for all, they're quiet as a mouse.

I am working under some restrictions. 

1. My flights must spawn.  

2. Because my flights must spawn I cannot make use of the formation MCU (not sure if being able to use the formation MCU helps bombers or not)

I flew a mission yesterday that was supposed to emulate a bombing raid.  Medium priority WPs.  Maybe 12 bombers spawned against my 4 Me262s.  I had A20s and B25s doing split-S, making 70 degree bank turns ... basically flying like fighter planes.  It was pretty absurd.  

Setting WP priority to high causes them to keep to the flight plan, but obviously a little too much so.  And, of course, quiet gunners.

@Gambit21 Agree that bombers should not be flying like fighters on med priority WPs.  Want to add, however, that it is not OK to shut down gunners on high priority WPs.  

@-RS-Nolly Were your bombers spawned or did they start enabled?  Can you post a sample mission?

@IckyATLAS To date I have been sticking with medium.  With larger bomber formations I really can't.  See above.  The results are completely ridiculous.

2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

2. Because my flights must spawn I cannot make use of the formation MCU (not sure if being able to use the formation MCU helps bombers or not)

I flew a mission yesterday that was supposed to emulate a bombing raid.  Medium priority WPs.  Maybe 12 bombers spawned against my 4 Me262s.  I had A20s and B25s doing split-S, making 70 degree bank turns ... basically flying like fighter planes.  It was pretty absurd.  

Setting WP priority to high causes them to keep to the flight plan, but obviously a little too much so.  And, of course, quiet gunners.

@Gambit21 Agree that bombers should not be flying like fighters on med priority WPs.  Want to add, however, that it is not OK to shut down gunners on high priority WPs.  

@-RS-Nolly Were your bombers spawned or did they start enabled?  Can you post a sample mission?

@IckyATLAS To date I have been sticking with medium.  With larger bomber formations I really can't.  See above.  The results are completely ridiculous.

Correct with large formations and I did up to sixty bombers, no way you have to be high. The only way is to have the protection fighters in sufficient numbers to disrupt the attacks from the enemy fighters. You will loose a few but so did also bomber command.

For example if you look to my slide show on bombing a city 

In this case the bombers where in multiple groups that just after bombing split in various directions so as to create more distance between them and then they were on medium. In this way they became even less predictive for the FLAK inferno.

@PatrickAWlson I redid the test last night, and I think I misspoke, in line with the comments above.

I think AI level makes a difference also.

Experience With pe2s:

On Low, they jink slightly to a believable and managable level and return to formation

On normal, they pull sharply all over the place. But not as much as you describe. They only go a few wingspans and return to formation.

I have the bombers disabled then activated when its their turn (multiple waves)

1 V of 5 aircraft, with another V of 4 covering the first V.

I think the formation and/or cover command may be helping somewhat.

The mission logic is giving me some issues, but I 'll post it for you tonight (au time)

On 4/7/2020 at 2:42 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

We touch the limitation of bombers which has not been developp. It's one of my fight with dev since a few year, and i put the subject on the table as soon a new bomber is add to the game.

To minimise the effect, you can have a very long distance between the last waypoint and the Command attack area that you set on High. it minimise the fighter effect and gunner fire.