Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

Yes you will need to buy improved airplanes and a new map. How the heck am I supposed to survive as a company if I have to not sell you things that require labor to complete? I may be able to offer a discount to ROF owners if they behave themselves as we build FC.

Jason

Well that's seem fair to me: ok to give you trust and money, but people that support you from a long time should be rewarded by having some benefits, unlike  new customers.

By the way, can you give us some orientation about the work on AI ?

• Upvote 1

Tempest II (confusingly), was later into service with a Bristol Centaurus and likely had 2,500hp (or there abouts).

The Sabre IIB, used in late Tempest Vs, had - nominally - 2,400 hp at max output. The Sabre VI (post-war, Tempest VI) had 2,600hp and a few later models were rated at 3,000 hp or more, but that is late 1940s.

If we get a later Series II Tempest V, which would be probably the most balanced and common variant by Christmas 1944-45, you get 2,400 hp at absolute maximum. A summer '44 variant would have closer to 2,200 hp, but that would not be so fair against 109K-4s and 190D-9s which are end-of-year time-frame. Hopefully 2,400 hp for the Tempest V, with (IIRC) a 5 minute advised limit on full boost.

Saw a few accounts that the saber IIB was rated for 11lb, and also allowed to go to 3000BHP at 3750-3800RPM. also naiprer addvertizements where stating 3000BHP.

The best option really needs to apply to all aircraft when possible is to have it as "options" so that the mission maker can set different realistic setups for each time period. I would like to see the early 2200 +9lb boost as an option, along with the late 44 +11lb and 1945 13+lb. same should be done for all aircraft "P47 for example from D5 to D30" 

Well that's seem fair to me: ok to give you trust and money, but people that support you from a long time should be rewarded by having some benefits, unlike  new customers.

You do understand that this will be a NEW product, yes?

I didn't expect a refund on IL-2 1946 when I bought BOS/BOM/BOK ...

This will require completely new development and you've ALREADY got your money's worth out of ROF and nothing will stop you using what you've already purchased. Stop giving Jason a tough time is my advice!

• Upvote 7

I'm wondering about the lack of twin engine planes bombers/groundpounders/heavy fighters for Bodenplatte. Two prime examples would be the Mosquito and the Me410. The Me410 doesn't seem like it was part of bodenplatte, which is interesting, but the mosquito was in the area during that time. I feel like both of them would fit in. I guess the got cut since most of the fighters were wanted? Something that could come at a later date I hope.

• Upvote 1

Also RIP soviet front. Remember this is where BOS originated from. Not done here yet.

There is a map in the making on the Russian forum: Odessa.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/492-kurilka-kartodelov/page-12

And from what I understand some community members seem to work on a map of Leningrad. Althoug I've seen no single image or so.

Perhaps some other people will continue to work on the cancelled Narvik map at some point?

With the upcoming Mods Off/On vehicles and other stuff might be expected.

It all depends on the skills and sacrifce of spare time by the community.

So Eastern Front is not done yet.

• Upvote 1

Given the immense amount of work required to acchieve what Jason has planed I'm happy to pay full price for my aircraft again just to enjoy them in DX11/64bit and new visual quality. I can imagine we'll see some kind of promo events for future Flying Circus packs aimed at the loyal customer base.

I can imagine we'll see some kind of promo events for future Flying Circus packs aimed at the loyal customer base.

Opening pre-order will be enough promo for me.

I'm pretty sure it must have been mentioned already but let me insist:

1/Typhoon will be badly missing, since tempest didn't deliver ground armament (except their guns, ofc) until very late, and bombs only IIRC.

2/lack of flyable bomber is reallly sad, we have it on russian front, why not on western ? I suggest B-26 and a late He111 version (less work probably) or a Ju88-C (more work but more original) as opposition. Can be premium planes.

3/B-25 as AI bomber seems strange to me, most intercepted med bombers seem to have been B-26s, even if B-25 were still there, B-26 is more iconic imo. Otoh B-25s are suitable for later pacific BOX and russian front.

4/we need at least one AI 4 engines, be it either B24 or B17, and a C-47, they're iconic of the era.

Edited by KGM_Roll
  • Upvote 1

As there is the P47, you have a plow for ground work, making the Tiffy more redundant than the Tempest that for sure would be immensely more popular, especially MP.

As for the flyable bomber, I bet that they would have made such if it wasn‘t overly taxing and would compromise the plane set in general.

Having an AI B25 would make it a convenient upgrade for later thaters, making it possible to have a flyable bomber.

I'm pretty sure it must have been mentioned already but let me insist:

1/Typhoon will be badly missing, since tempest didn't deliver ground armament (except their guns, ofc) until very late, and bombs only IIRC.

2/lack of flyable bomber is reallly sad, we have it on russian front, why not on western ? I suggest B-26 and a late He111 version (less work probably) or a Ju88-C (more work but more original) as opposition. Can be premium planes.

3/B-25 as AI bomber seems strange to me, most intercepted med bombers seem to have been B-26s, even if B-25 were still there, B-26 is more iconic imo. Otoh B-25s are suitable for later pacific BOX and russian front.

4/we need at least one AI 4 engines, be it either B24 or B17, and a C-47, they're iconic of the era.

to add to 1; I believe the Bodenplatte attack on Eindhoven caught a Typhoon squadron on the ground.

to add to 2: As far as medium lvl bombers go;  not sure what to think. There is some evidence to suggest that the Germans had a few bed check Charlies in the area, along with a spooning of night fighters, but nightfighters themselves open a can of worms..

to add to 3: Again not sure what to think on this one: C47s would have been around on nearly any airfield that we'd get on the ingame map, so this is pretty much a given. Thing is though, most of the airfields that were attacked on new years day '45 were fighter fields or maybe even strips. You wouldnt find 4 engined bombers on there.... 

• Upvote 2

Saw a few accounts that the saber IIB was rated for 11lb, and also allowed to go to 3000BHP at 3750-3800RPM. also naiprer addvertizements where stating 3000BHP.

For the IIB? Not mentioned in other accounts I saw; suppose a few might have been - there were late version with the Rotol prop and maybe it could go that high with 13lb boost. Earlier efforts to increase Sabre power resulted in a lot of engine issues so 13lbs would likely be an exception.

In general, I am leery of assuming that just because a type existed, all serving examples magically upgraded to the most powerful variant. I suspect we will see claims that all 109s should be running 1.8 ata etc. because a few documents indicated that a few were cleared in a few groups and / or it was was planned for some stage this to become standard.

1/Typhoon will be badly missing, since tempest didn't deliver ground armament (except their guns, ofc) until very late, and bombs only IIRC

It did not because of the large number of Typhoons. It could carrier rockets and bombs, so if 1C want to economise on a./c for now a Tempest in Typhoon configuration is a fair compromise, especially since squadrons converted from Typhoons to Tempest as time went on.

Now that we'll be getting a P-47 we can conclusively test the theory that you can ricochet .50cal off the ground and destroy a...  :lol:

..........Tiger Tank!!!

This topic alone deserves its own thread IMO. Let's say thirty pages at least? :biggrin:

To make Bodenplatte work realistically will require considerable attention to radar, ground observers and ground command & control. So there's a question for Jason here, "will there be realistic radar stations, C&C networks and AI ground control for the aircraft to operate in a historically realistic way?"

BoB had the same issue on the UK side, not well resolved by any of the sims so far (excepting the player operated and scripted stuff developed for Storm of War and the Air Combat Group).

56RAF_phoenix

Cant wait to fly those p38s over my home country,

I never was a really big fan of the pacific theatre,

Curious to fly WWI aircraft in vr, that will be great fun.

Not sure about the tanks yet, tanks do need better infantery for solid WWII tactics lets se where that goes,.

Overal impressed and excited.

I suspect Eagle Dynamics team is now planning an airstrike on 777 studios at this time.  Hope you guys have your AAA manned.

• Upvote 4

I do hope before too much longer we can settle on a better descriptor for the new sim. BoB is going to be misleading to a casual glance from perspective newcomers.

I suspect Eagle Dynamics team is now planning an airstrike on 777 studios at this time.  Hope you guys have your AAA manned.

That hit me pretty big when I saw the announcement - they are moving to directly compete with ED. Aside from the potential fan-boy war, I think this will provide some pretty interesting discussion - we will be finally able to compare the same planes, how they handle and fight from two different combat sims. Yeah I know, it's been done, but it's a new generation of sims, both focused on the same theatre and planes, both focused on combat, both using the latest tech.

• Upvote 1

- European Low-Countries Map (Final size TBD) (Parts of the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany)

I wonder what happen with A-89 Metz the only French Airfield attacked by the JG53 during Operation Bodenplatte?

Source: http://donhollway.com/bodenplatte/

A-89.jpg

Edited by Livai

The perspective to do landings on carriers with 3D water was really great. But I can cope with it easily. A new RoF is just more than I could dream of  :biggrin:

No question that I buy the Me262 as well. A friend of mine is a tank fan. Good chance I get him into the IL2 world now  :lol:

Thumps Up Jason and team !

(the greatest news for me was anyhow, that you got money to continue !!)

Hi , It saddens me because there are no flying bombers, I do not feel interest in fighter planes .... :coffee: ... maybe later

Edited by Ala13_Antiguo

I already had left IL2. Not interested at all in carrier ops and pacific battles. But after this announcement I'll come back.

Hi..

Can I pre-order "Bodenplatte" and then send to another pilot as a gift ?

Ramm.

Sure you can, I bought extra copies to give away.

this is just fantastic news about the new theater, RoF revamp & tank development?!?!?!    I must be dreaming this....

Edited by RayCharlesXXX

1CGS owe me ten seconds of my life, cause that's how long I spent deciding whether or not to pre-order BOB/BOBO/BOBp/BOBx.. all pre-ordered

Wow, that was an incredible climax to the past months dev blogs.. can we pre-preorder FC1?

As usual pre-ordered all the new stuff. :)

I wonder if a part of England will be placed on the map.

not likely. My guess would be something along the line of Eindhoven Brussels for the west. And maybe Dusseldorf in the east... 

I'm hallucinating, :o:  I'm going to buy everything, the new flying circle will be amazing, the ROF is complete.

About the tank driver, very good idea, needed a well done simulator with good graphics and environment and possibility of several positions.

BoBP good change to the Pacific (waiting for the future) iconic aircraft

Thanks Jason and the team of developers.

:salute:

Just pre-order, I am so excited, any Idea when we will be able to start experimenting with the planes we have pre-ordered?

LA5FN and 109 G6 in January.

Bodenplatte on the store page says it will begin to have access in Spring 2018.

Just obeyed my addiction and pre-ordered Battle of Bodenplatte and the two collector planes. Very exciting news indeed.  Thanks for keeping this sim current and interesting!

I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised at the change to late war Europe. I'm very happy and pre-ordered to give support to development, and i very rarely pre-order anything (not really a supply problem on electrons).

One thing i am a bit disappointed with, like many others, is the Mk IX spit instead of a later variant, nearly all flight sims have early models only, i've always wanted to play around in a XIV or XVI.

As long as the spit has the gyro gunsight & late versions cut down rear and teardrop canopy I don't mind getting a IX rather than later models  :wacko:

From what im reading, elsewhere, this announcement has already increased sales. Folk with no interest in the eastern front are now buying BoS in preperation for BoBP. Nothing but positives on other forums. Hooray!

Just a couple of thoughts:

1: Will the maps be able to be used with the different "sims"? I mean, if you make a make for the Flying Circus, will it be available (with some modifications) to the WW2 time or the tank battles? Will everything be intertwined?

2: I wonder why between the P51, P47 and P38 it was the latter the chosen to be the collector's pick?

3: What about leaving the name in German: Unternehmen Bodenplatte? It sound just great!

Finally, I really hope that after the money spent in ROF (which I almost did not use because of the wobbling), we get some kind of special treatment in the Flying Circus!!!

Edited by -=PHX=-Spartan-