Jason_Williams

Discussion of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew Announcement...

Looking at Black Six's post we might get the Spitfire Mk XVI as a modification of the Mk IX

A XVI is a IX with a Merlin 266; there is very little to choose between the 2 and very few - if any - 'old' '43 IXs in 2TAF late 1944. The RAF did not distinguish clearly between sub-variants of Spitfire, but a IX and a XVI in December '44 are essentially the same thing: some XVI had a bubble canopy, most were LFs and the .5 was more common. Otherwise, they are both the older airframe (tail-wheel non-retractable etc.) with 1,700-ish Merlin hp vs the XIV with 2,000-ish hp Griffon and the newer airframe.

I hope we get a XIV as well, BTW...

Edited by EAF19_Marsh
  • Upvote 1

Pre -ordered all the stuff. and bought some for my friends!. 

I dont like to pre order usaly, but supporting good devs and good ideas is easy.

Please add heavy bomber a B17G and a late Griffon spitfire. I will get those in a heartbeat.

I am surprised that no one is talking about the forthcoming IL2 Great Battles Demo.. or the renaming of the upgraded Digital Nature Engine to the Digital Warfare Engine

That is huge. 

I think we all had a lot to digest. I can only skim the highlights while I'm at work. So much good news. I was sold at P-51. Tonight I'll have to re-read everything to get a better handle on it all. Just preordered the lot. 

A XVI is a IX with a Merlin 266; there is very little to choose between the 2 and very few - if any - 'old' '43 IXs in 2TAF late 1944. The RAF did not distinguish clearly between sub-variants of Spitfire, but a IX and a XVI in December '44 are essentially the same thing: some XVI had a bubble canopy, most were LFs and the .5 was more common. Otherwise, they are both the older airframe (tail-wheel non-retractable etc.) with 1,700-ish Merlin hp vs the XIV with 2,000-ish hp Griffon and the newer airframe.

I hope we get a XIV as well, BTW...

weren't late war spit IX rated to 25lb boost? if so those will be competitive in 1945. I know some tempests where boosted to 13lb as well taking to over 3000HP according to the bigshow.

Hi, I can't answer now I didn't study this question yet.

I've only list of P-51D's and P-47D's FGs

We've to finish BOK career and campaign in the first place)

Thank you B6 for taking your time

Don't understand, dev' said us that they will going to Pacific theater. Well we are coming to Europe, but without bomber plane, no Lancaster, no B17, no B24, so I'm not happy, from my side it's a shame. Here, you clearly missed something here. 

For the remake of Rise of Flight, I'm **** happy, happy to see you taking back this game in your arms.

For Tank Crew: Well some good tank simulator are missing me, like Steel Fury and I'm a tank lover, so why not, but hopping that it will not make you focus to that game and leaving plane games during development.

So I'm quite confuse for the announcement :/

• Upvote 1

I cant hold it in any longer

I'm an AMERICAN and I LOVE the P-51 And i don't CARE who knows!

You know that felt good.

lol!... well, I'm not an American, normally an RAF flyer where possible, but... if you force me to fly American planes, if it's a P51 it has to be a B or C model... but I'd much rather fly a razorback Jug truth be told :)

I am surprised that no one is talking about the forthcoming IL2 Great Battles Demo.. or the renaming of the upgraded Digital Nature Engine to the Digital Warfare Engine

That is huge. 

LOL.. I see we both were thinking the same thing at the same time... 

Nice to see we're on the same wavelength Bearcat. :-)

Two things - 

1) Will we be able to use the new planes on the Eastern Front, example 109G-14 vs La-5FN?

2) I'm still really looking forward to the P-39 over the Kuban!

lol!... well, I'm not an American, normally an RAF flyer where possible, but... if you force me to fly American planes, if it's a P51 it has to be a B or C model... but I'd much rather fly a razorback Jug truth be told :)

PSST......they are saving all the razorbacks for ITALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope :)

Yes, it's my mistake. I mean XVI

Well in that case you can do the IX, XIV and XVI.  Chuck in the VIII and the XII too.

Thank you.

von Tom

Two things - 

1) Will we be able to use the new planes on the Eastern Front, example 109G-14 vs La-5FN?

2) I'm still really looking forward to the P-39 over the Kuban!

Scr#w that. You go down and dance in the mud. I'm taking on Yak 1b's up high in my trusty Dora! takatakataktakaBOOM

I think we all had a lot to digest. I can only skim the highlights while I'm at work. So much good news. I was sold at P-51. Tonight I'll have to re-read everything to get a better handle on it all. Just preordered the lot. 

Me too.. I looked at the Blue nosed pony and almost fell off my chair because I was not expecting that for about another 2 years. Haven't preordered yet..  but it is on the docket.

• Upvote 2

weren't late war spit IX rated to 25lb boost? if so those will be competitive in 1945. I know some tempests where boosted to 13lb as well taking to over 3000HP according to the bigshow.

I think it is a bit complicated, but the general point is that a IX and XVI are pretty much the same thing; it depends on the specifics that the team decides. A late 1944 Merlin Spit is running more power than its counterpart in 1943, just as a 1944 G series 109 is running more power than its earlier brethren.

Take Clostermann with a pinch of salt on technical issues; not sure a Tempest V ever saw more than 2,400 hp on the Series 3 and they were pretty rare.

Amazing...My beloved 352nd FG right on the front page. Love that Blue Nose.

The attack on the forward air field that happened New Years Day was designated by the Allies as Y-29.  "Battle of Y-29"?  Although this a specific location and I think Bodenplatte was to be more of a start of a campaign in the area.

The 352nd FG had a detached element stationed there that day. they shared the field with another group at the other end of the runway, think it was the 355 FG. Someone correct me here if not correct.

Anyway, I thought we were still years away from western front. Next year sounds good! :)

Thanks,

Ty

I do not understand why people get so excited and are so impatient for one year to pass. Right now in DCS are available:

P-51D Mustang; Spitfire LF Mk. IX; Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst and DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora together with the excellent Normandy 1944 Map.

I was expecting the pacific theater to bring something new on the table. If the developpers chose to enter a direct competition with the DCS series that is their choice, as the il 2 series would be cheaper and customers will get extra planes. I guess DCS would respond with new ww2 planes.

On one hand we lost the possibility to have a completely new theater on the other hand we will see competition in action.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov
  • Upvote 2

PTO delay- not happy but since it's still planned for future...ok!

BoBP- very happy, btw where are the flyable bombers? Big ladies?

Flying Circus- very very happy  :biggrin:

Tanks crew- not my pair of shoes, U-boat crew would be in my taste but if it turns out good i might give it a go, few friends as a crew in a tank sounds fun!

Something for everybody. Absolutely marvellous. I hope the tank stuff draws World of Tanks fans who wonder what it's like inside one. The RoF link up is fantastic news and all that lovely late war Western Front stuff as well. Midway is one of my real areas of interest as well, so all in all, I may both wee and poo myself with excitement.

• Upvote 1

I think it is a bit complicated, but the general point is that a IX and XVI are pretty much the same thing; it depends on the specifics that the team decides. A late 1944 Merlin Spit is running more power than its counterpart in 1943, just as a 1944 G series 109 is running more power than its earlier brethren.

Take Clostermann with a pinch of salt on technical issues; not sure a Tempest V ever saw more than 2,400 hp on the Series 3 and they were pretty rare.

Agree with you on the first point yep.

On the 13lb Tempest, I saw a technical document "it was a Napier brochure" that state the over the 3000HP as well as the tempest II. For the life of me i cant find it ill try and see if i can locate it again. "this was 8 years ago haha" 

Regardless, i would like to see more engine and boost options available for mission makers, Should allow more details in creating realistic engine performance for each mission

Edited by SirScorpion

I do not understand why people get so excited and are so impatient for one year to pass. Right now in DCS are available:

P-51D Mustang; Spitfire LF Mk. IX; Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst and DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora together with the excellent Normandy 1944 Map.

I was expecting the pacific theater to bring something new on the table. If the developpers chose to enter a direct competition with the DCS series that is their choice, as the il 2 series would be cheaper and customers will get extra planes.

It's also available in War Thunder and IL2 1946. Whats your point?

People want those planes in this sim because the devs nailed certain elements others haven't been able to deliver.

• Upvote 7

You won't be the only one, I guarantee.

Something magical about Rise Of Flight, and to see it get some love at this point is just wonderful.

Totally agree, Paul! ROF was my first real multiplayer experience with flight sims, and has a distinctly special place in my heart. To see it finally getting some love now...words cannot describe it. :D :D :D

I WILL be pre-ordering for sure, but sadly I gotta wait two weeks till my next pay check lol

SO MANY AWESOME PLANES IN THIS NEW BATTLE! SO MANY NEW THINGS COMING! \o/

Yeah 262 is a blast. I guess that it will come as the last plane in order

Well if I remember correctly it was the bomber version that was playing a role here 

I see this thead, i read it, and just wow! This is incredible!

I could'nt help but pre-order everything:  because this sim is so awesome of course but also, i confess, so that i can keep wishing for more to buy from you guys  :)

You know 1CGS Team you do make us dangerously addicted! you're so successful, we love you  :good:

Jason,

is there a chance for AI controlled B17 someday or 4 engined bombers are out of question?

Edited by Voidhunger

Good news all around..

Flying Circus will be a blast for sure...more mission building in the years ahead it seems (also will be nice to made some missions over the Netherlands!!)

Haash

• Upvote 1

Battle of Bodenplatte sounds strange. The other 3 parts of the game, are named by City/Area. Unternehmen Bodenpaltte is the "codename" of an task. From my opinion

"IL2 Battles, Operation Bodenplatte" makes more sense.

I would just call it "Il-2 - Operation Bodenplatte".

I always thought of the "Battle of.." part of the releases so far to be in the tittle because it makes perfect sense ("Battle of Moscow" makes more sense than "Moscow"), but it isn't a necessity imo to have the word "Battle" in the name, especially not when it doesn't make much sense. I think people know that there's some kind of battle going on anyway. Also people who are not familiar with Bodenplatte and knowing that it was an operation, might actually be confused by the title alone, so "Operation Bodenplatte" would clear things up and maybe people would even check what kind of operation it was and would probably get more interested that way. 

But in the end it's just the name.

As a fan of the PTO, and one who's been straight up giddy about finally getting back there, I have to say that all things considered...I was still thrilled with this plan.

The Pacific will be all that much better for the time being taken to properly research the aircraft and systems...and I for one will gladly wait. It's enough to know that the Zeke and Wildcat are coming.

As it happens, tactical operations in Belgium (and Normandy) Mustangs and Jugs...are a close second favorite of mine. I created a tactical Belgium campaign in the old sim that I will be happy to recreate for BoS.

In researching a book project some time back I was lucky enough to interview a handful of living 352nd "Bluenosed Bastards of Bodney" Mustang pilots, including 2 surviving pilots from the Y-29 battle. The information gleaned from those interviews is a treasure, not to mention just the experience of talking with them.
Thus this subject matter is close to my heart you might say.

The only difficulty I face is where to put my energy with regard to building a scripted campaign when I get my hands on the Belgium map. A 352nd Mustang campaign? On one hand a no-brainer given how how much research I have on this. 
Having pondered this for a while...I keep coming back to the Jug and the 365th "Hell Hawks" however.

In the end I think it will have to be the P-47, for as much as I love the Mustang, for this tactical map the P-47 can't be beat with it's bomb carrying capacity and those 8 .50 cals.
A lot of bang for the buck with that aircraft...both operationally in real life and from the perspective player experience..I'm very much looking forward to this!

From an aircraft standpoint there really isn't an ugly sister in the bunch though...and I for one love flying over the snow. 

Back to WWI...always wanted it, didn't think it would happen...again thrilled.
Tanks...bring them on.
Outstanding plan of action.
  • Upvote 3

pre-ordered everything and while i was at it bought a collector plane i didnt have, and "Operation Bodenplatte" sounds better.

As a WW II historian, the title "Battle of Bodenplate" is totally missed. "Bodenplate" is the name of the OPERATION. No excuse for other explanetion. Sorry.

So...nothing about the pacific front ...? Is it abandonned ? :(

No.

As a WW II historian, the title "Battle of Bodenplate" is totally missed. "Bodenplate" is the name of the OPERATION. No excuse for other explanetion. Sorry.

Gah, some of you people are completely pedantic.

Just ordered a lovely new LA-5 for me and one for a fine Girtish gentleman who was kind enough to gift me a plane a few months back. His generosity set me up hours of good flying fun.

Can't wait to smoke some 110s in that new LA-5. :hunter:

I was expecting the pacific theater to bring something new on the table. If the developpers chose to enter a direct competition with the DCS series that is their choice, as the il 2 series would be cheaper and customers will get extra planes. I guess DCS would respond with new ww2 planes.

On one hand we lost the possibility to have a completely new theater on the other hand we will see competition in action.

WW2 DCS is a joke. You cant be serious

• Upvote 1

Thanks for those good news, Christmas is earlier this year!

Fantastic news :biggrin:

All Redwulves are going absolutely bonkers - finally, our old stomping grounds again. Can't wait.