=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

2 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

says the side who got Bf-110 :dance:

Bf-110 does not have radar assisted fire control system in it's turret, and certainly not made of titanium.

If there was one thing that convinced me there's russian bias in this game, it was flying two TAWs as red

Edited by =/Hospiz/=MetalHead
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, =/Hospiz/=MetalHead said:

Bf-110 does not have radar assisted fire control system in it's turret

Because it so obviously uses a totally separate AI program for gunners than the Pe-2 🙄

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, =/Hospiz/=MetalHead said:

Bf-110 does not have radar assisted fire control system in it's turret, and certainly not made of titanium.

If there was one thing that convinced me there's russian bias in this game, it was flying two TAWs as red

fc056ca464557abb3da1837cda42b087d954119bd33a8b3f7ae0946b91b36733.jpg.795c05328d624fb5547bc283c058c89b.jpg

:dance:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Because it so obviously uses a totally separate AI program for gunners than the Pe-2 🙄

Yeah, it's just easier to assume that every single LW pilot suddenly turns into a complete idiot while being in the vicinity of Pe-2, loses all his skill and becomes capable only of slow paced attacks from dead six. Meanwhile every single great Soviet Hero uses his excellent flying and gunnery skills, to swiftly bring down Bf110s and Ju88s with high speed attacks, approaching from deadzones between turret fire arcs.
I have seen a lot of things during last four TAW campaigns. I have seen my Bf110 gunner firing like crazy, yet being unable to hit a Yak, sitting like duck, 50 meters behind my tail, too many times. I also have seen my Pe-2 gunner firing just a couple of bullets right after reporting enemy fighter, and scoring an instant kill with that. I have seen my Ju88 exploding mid-air after LaGG made a single gun pass, and I have seen my Pe-2 being battered by three Focke Wulfs, and making home after surviving something that looked like a chain reaction of explosive charges attached to the plane. I have seen my He111 pilot dying after I-16 sprayed at me with shkas from behind, from large distance, and I have seen my Il-2 pilot surviving 20mm minengeschoss to the face through opened canopy.
In short, I have seen too much, to believe that the single reason behind VVS players performing better is their skill. 

You can throw shit, you can brag about your skill, you can call us luftwhiners, but you won't convince me. And yeah, I will probably fly next TAW on the red side, laughing at the russian bias even more.

• Confused 6
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, =/Hospiz/=MetalHead said:

Yeah, it's just easier to assume that every single LW pilot suddenly turns into a complete idiot while being in the vicinity of Pe-2, loses all his skill and becomes capable only of slow paced attacks from dead six. Meanwhile every single great Soviet Hero uses his excellent flying and gunnery skills, to swiftly bring down Bf110s and Ju88s with high speed attacks, approaching from deadzones between turret fire arcs.
I have seen a lot of things during last four TAW campaigns. I have seen my Bf110 gunner firing like crazy, yet being unable to hit a Yak, sitting like duck, 50 meters behind my tail, too many times. I also have seen my Pe-2 gunner firing just a couple of bullets right after reporting enemy fighter, and scoring an instant kill with that. I have seen my Ju88 exploding mid-air after LaGG made a single gun pass, and I have seen my Pe-2 being battered by three Focke Wulfs, and making home after surviving something that looked like a chain reaction of explosive charges attached to the plane. I have seen my He111 pilot dying after I-16 sprayed at me with shkas from behind, from large distance, and I have seen my Il-2 pilot surviving 20mm minengeschoss to the face through opened canopy.
In short, I have seen too much, to believe that the single reason behind VVS players performing better is their skill. 

You can throw shit, you can brag about your skill, you can call us luftwhiners, but you won't convince me. And yeah, I will probably fly next TAW on the red side, laughing at the russian bias even more.

I recommend PTSD therapy, bro.  You've apparently seen a lot of shit.  

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

I recommend PTSD therapy, bro.  You've apparently seen a lot of shit.  

I still haven't recovered from Post Communism Stress Disorder after those campaigns flown on russian side. Another therapy won't help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Damn.  I was still hopeful that the weekly group therapy session I attend after being gunner PK'd directly underneath a Ju-87 or insta-exploded by a single 110 gunner bullet was going to get me back to living a reasonably normal life.  I guess I'll have to develop a coke habit so I can get my free coffee and donuts from the local Narcotics Anonymous meeting instead.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, =/Hospiz/=MetalHead said:

My PE2 was attacked 5 times yesterday. three times I was shot down, two times my pilot was killed. Once my gunners shot down a brave German pilot, who hung for a long time on six.

This is all evident from my statistics. So I think you're exaggerating

Edited by =2ndSS=Lawyer1
  • Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, 72AG_Obi said:

First victim of new rule... :(

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=3252&name=72AG_Obi

On my way to AF I got kicked from the server for no reason (no internet problem, nothing in my comp) and as a result I lost all kills and the only available 110...

If it's gonna happen often, it's gonna be quite annoying feature!

Exact thing happened to me tonight. I was RTB after an hour long sortie but lost connection. I got 0 points for the 6 GKs.

6 hours ago, =/Hospiz/=MetalHead said:

• Upvote 7

Spoiler

The AI is the same. The calibre and firing arc is the difference. This makes the Pe-2 especially nasty. But the german gunners are equal in terms of accuracy and bull shittery.

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, DerSheriff said:

The AI is the same

And why should it be any different? After taking the time to watch these videos, all I see is the same lame bomber intercept routine of attacking from the 6 o'clock making you an ideal and easy target which is the real...

16 minutes ago, DerSheriff said:

bull shittery

Why would anyone think that the bomber wouldn't shoot back when presented with such easy opportunities?

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not gonna comment on that any further, but in these videos are no "lame 6 approaches" Nobody is holding still, all attacks come with deflection and speed.
Most planes aren't hit in the approach but as they break off.

We are talking about hitting a moving target from a moving gun platform. The target and the platform are moving in possible axis of direction. Again we were a few times past the discussion of "yoUr ApproAcH Is wronG"

but I am sure this won't convince you, since this is a online forum. And I dont want to convince you. Most aren't here to change his opinion on anything. Fair enough. So I just leave this here as my statement to show that I disagree.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, =/Hospiz/=MetalHead said:

Yeah, it's just easier to assume that every single LW pilot suddenly turns into a complete idiot while being in the vicinity of Pe-2, loses all his skill and becomes capable only of slow paced attacks from dead six.

Just watch the videos above to clearly understand said assumption. If the hat fits...wear it.

2 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

but in these videos are no "lame 6 approaches"...all attacks come with deflection and speed.

That's just not correct. No need to go further than the first 10 seconds of the 1st video to see this....

noLeadNoSpeed.thumb.JPG.ce6f19f0f8564f73de08f4aa9e0f7606.JPG

The La-5 is approaching the He-111 from the 6 o'clock with very little angle off (deflection). Deflection shooting is easier for a gunner in a bomber flying level, pulling no g's than a fighter who must turn hard to put guns on target, which is often below his range of vision. The bomber gunner just needs to swivel his guns and can see you all the way.

And as far as speed goes...Even if the La-5 was making 600 km/h and dead on 6 o'clock, we must still subtract at least 300 km/h to account for the speed of the He-111 as the attack is from the 6 o'clock. So 300 km/h at very best, is not what we can consider high speed in the interests of self survival...is it?

Given that the He-111 will cruise at say 340 km/h and with the slight angle off 6 o'clock approach of the La-5 (funnily enough this is termed a "lag approach" ), having the effect of reducing it's speed in relation to the bomber, we can estimate the La-5 was making less than 500 kph, say 450 kph.Then subtract the bombers speed of 340 kph the La-5 was going at a meager 210 kph in relation to the He-111.

Not the kind of speed I would consider making an attack run at any gun pointing in my direction, airborne or ground.

Btw., I understand that you don't agree and that's cool. But when you make videos to back up claims, you must expect people to make a comment one way or another...mine would be that your approach is wrong ;) 

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.
  • Upvote 1

Well, it can be considered that the gunners were generally doing a very good job. At least they're not dead weight. 😁 The vids Sheriff posted were reminding me of these WTF-moments we have all lived through.

What has been randomly getting our pilots on the first day however was the Flak. We lost more pilots due to Flak than due to enemy aircraft. Our guys don't fly level during long range Flak either, we swerve left, right, up and down. The message is - beware of Flak.

• Upvote 1

Jup another campaign starts and some brave warriors instead in their machines try to win the fight on forum....;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

=69.GIAP=Shvak

In manual written It’s possible to register two different accounts: one for Allied and one for Axis. To switch between them please update il2sturmovik.com account to match account on TAW. If you don’t want to update il2sturmovik.com account then you have to change names of your accounts on TAW page.

6 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Well, it can be considered that the gunners were generally doing a very good job. At least they're not dead weight. 😁 The vids Sheriff posted were reminding me of these WTF-moments we have all lived through.

What has been randomly getting our pilots on the first day however was the Flak. We lost more pilots due to Flak than due to enemy aircraft. Our guys don't fly level during long range Flak either, we swerve left, right, up and down. The message is - beware of Flak.

Just to echo this, is there something wrong with the flak? It killed one of our pilots twice on the first day of TAW while flying at high altitude and not straight and level. I got dinged by it and made it home but it was on the very first burst from it and I was at 2-3k. I'm used to seeing bursts start around me to clue me in that I need to start moving to avoid flak. It seems that the current implementation is extremely accurate even on the initial shot. Just something to maybe look at. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

On 11/16/2019 at 2:40 AM, =LG=Kathon said:

The new TAW campaign starts on Sunday 17.11.2019 at about 12:00 UTC

Changes:

• Tanks from the convoy may create attack formation when are near the enemy city (about 15km). In that case they aren’t in a line on the road but spread out on the grass field. Trucks from that convoy are still on the road (there are two icons on the map: one for the tanks and one for the trucks)

• In case of too much difference in number of pilots between sides for a longer time during the mission, some front-line airfields from the bigger side are attacked after that mission. It’s like simulating missing pilots from the smaller side to make the game play more balanced.

@=LG=Kathon
On the first point - nice!  This has been needed, to better simulate tanks in more of an attack formation.

On the second point, can you elaborate a little more on how this works?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Now again the big advantage is blue. Why stopped kicking from the server after the death of the pilot?

On 11/17/2019 at 1:36 PM, Inkompetent said:

Pardon posting something that I'm sure has been described earlier in this thread, but kind'a hard to find with 378 pages in it.

1. How does the queue position system work? I was in 11th place, but didn't get the message until I was in a plane, but even with engines off I was kicked because the side has too many players.
  2. I also guess that we can't play on both sides now? Registered with a different name (and updated to that different name on the IL-2 website), but I'm still getting the team-change penalty screen on the server if I try to fly red to balance the teams.

1. If you get the message like "you can't take off now!" then you should end the mission and go back to the briefing. Then after some time if you are clear to take off you will get message on the chat. If you want to check your actual position on the queue then spawn again, read the message and go back to the briefing. 

2. You can fly on both sides. The team-change penalty is probably an old settings that should be lowered.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, =KG76=flyus747 said:

Is there RRR for this TAW?

Not yet. 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, SCG_ErwinP said:

@=LG=Kathon The time to reserve the spot is very short, all the time we are being kicked. Pls, fix it.

Can you elaborate? Was the server full? Did you spawn on the airfield?

3 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

@=LG=Kathon
On the first point - nice!  This has been needed, to better simulate tanks in more of an attack formation.

On the second point, can you elaborate a little more on how this works?

Thanks!

In general: during the mission difference between sides is check periodically.  Let's say it's 9 pilots for one hour for example. The script calculates number of attacks on enemy airfields from the bigger team ( it takes 5 pilots for 40 minutes to one attack) so in this case 2 airfields will be attack. 

2 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Now again the big advantage is blue. Why stopped kicking from the server after the death of the pilot?

I didn't change this. Almost 40 pilots were kicked after death when server was full. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Because Blue have the advantage in plane performance and in gang attacks on single Red pilots or Red pilots than got separated from their squad.  It would end up being even less Red on the server if "kicked upon death" was a thing. 

31 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

I didn't change this. Almost 40 pilots were kicked after death when server was full. 

I think he means for every death, not just after 3 lives are up.

4 минуты назад, Mobile_BBQ сказал:

I think he means for every death, not just after 3 lives are up.

It works now. I was kicked from server after my 1st death

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

Can you elaborate? Was the server full? Did you spawn on the airfield?

Okay, wasn't me but let's go:

1. A friend of mine selected a plane, selected the airfield and pressed START.
  2. The server informed that he could not take off, and he was in position "x".
  3. I told him to leave plane and take a look at server messages that, when able to take off, server will send a message.
  4. He was kicked.

It all happened very fast, so I supose that time to leave plane is too fast (less then 20 seconds I think).

Yes, server was full;

Yes, he spawned on AF.

Thank you for you time!

15 hours ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Just to echo this, is there something wrong with the flak? It killed one of our pilots twice on the first day of TAW while flying at high altitude and not straight and level. I got dinged by it and made it home but it was on the very first burst from it and I was at 2-3k. I'm used to seeing bursts start around me to clue me in that I need to start moving to avoid flak. It seems that the current implementation is extremely accurate even on the initial shot. Just something to maybe look at. 

last taw I got heavy flaked twice at 5k turning after dropping bombs and at 3k on a

on a spiral dive at +500kmh.

sometimes shxt happens; its not new

Well, there is this problem which I had mentioned earlier. There seems to be a unit of Flak somewhere that regularly does this:

46c2373c59675da735320ac07d35ae73.thumb.png.ad619280afd0ed510f063308eba90713.png

There is no warning. It just insta-kills on the first shot.

Why is this a problem? Because it's not skill-based, it's not anything you can influence.

For example: You get into range of this unit, and you die. You can be in a curve, climb, dive, be fast, whatever - you die on the first shot. No warning.

Please check it out.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

6 hours ago, Ala13_elchinodecai said:

last taw I got heavy flaked twice at 5k turning after dropping bombs and at 3k on a

on a spiral dive at +500kmh.

sometimes shxt happens; its not new

Saw it happen again last night to one of our pilots.

I'm not saying the flak shouldn't be a risk, obviously odds are it will happen sometime. I am saying it seems to be happening very often. There are now 4  occasions of SCG members that have been instant killed by flak with no warning in the first two days of TAW. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

I saw this as well. Single german bomber over russian airlfield kalinin. 3  single shots of flak, and the bomber was de-winged at 4.5 thousand meters. Sure it was enemy, but it seemed a little too OP.... AND IT STOLE MY KILL! lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

I saw this as well. Single german bomber over russian airlfield kalinin. 3  single shots of flak, and the bomber was de-winged at 4.5 thousand meters. Sure it was enemy, but it seemed a little too OP.... AND IT STOLE MY KILL! lol

Sounds like a classified ad in craigs list.

Single German Bomber seeking airfield for rough play. No flak please, otherwise up for anything. 

• Haha 8

Oddly enough, went on a flight to 5k with another Pe-2 and did a "Follow close 6. When I drop bombs, you drop bombs.", type of attack on a depot.  2 Pe-2s in very close formation, above thick clouds at 5k - and not 1 spot of flak.  

52 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Sounds like a classified ad in craigs list.

Single German Bomber seeking airfield for rough play. No flak please, otherwise up for anything. 

"Particularly interested in Big Black... Cannons"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Oddly enough, went on a flight to 5k with another Pe-2 and did a "Follow close 6. When I drop bombs, you drop bombs.", type of attack on a depot.  2 Pe-2s in very close formation, above thick clouds at 5k - and not 1 spot of flak.  

Russian Bias 🤣 

I kid. 

5 hours ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

That was me! I saw all these little angry bees coming up, clicked drop bomb, and my wing came off. Absolutely infuriating after spending all that time climbing, heard one pop of flak and then I was in third person watching a fireball. I thought I was hit on the first one outright and was shocked it winged me.

5 hours ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Saw it happen again last night to one of our pilots.

I'm not saying the flak shouldn't be a risk, obviously odds are it will happen sometime. I am saying it seems to be happening very often. There are now 4  occasions of SCG members that have been instant killed by flak with no warning in the first two days of TAW. 

I was complaining about that to one of the ACG pilots last night right before your flight went up. Was in a Stuka at 3.5k in the clouds, rolled over into a dive, and as soon as I got to 90 degrees and broke the clouds, flaked dead in one shot.

1 hour ago, WokeUpDead said:

"Particularly interested in Big Black... Cannons"

I'll have you know that 88mm is big enough for anyone!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HerrE said:

That was me! I saw all these little angry bees coming up, clicked drop bomb, and my wing came off. Absolutely infuriating after spending all that time climbing, heard one pop of flak and then I was in third person watching a fireball. I thought I was hit on the first one outright and was shocked it winged me.

I was complaining about that to one of the ACG pilots last night right before your flight went up. Was in a Stuka at 3.5k in the clouds, rolled over into a dive, and as soon as I got to 90 degrees and broke the clouds, flaked dead in one shot.

We apologize for the chute kill lol. One of our guys was hungry, you probably would have been captured and tortured anyway.