=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

On 7/28/2019 at 3:57 AM, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

I actually rather not have bobp planes and have a proper eastern front campaign with a matching planeset :( 

Why not both? ;)

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

3 lives for each map deaddonkey :)

Thank you! Already been burning through them at an embarassing pace so this is good to hear. Ura for the ishaks. 

This is such a great server. I think there could be a few ways to make it more approachable to noobs, though, if even with things as simple as the language of the mission briefing or the kick warnings. Feel like I've seen quite a few people come in, get frustrated by not understanding what to do or that they have to read the manual, and leave. As an aspiring copywriter I'd be happy to offer up some re-wordings of the aforementioned texts. I guess they're volunteer translations, because subtlety and grammar are not the strong suit of these messages. 

Luftwaffe seem to be pulling ahead slightly on map 1. Pretty back-and-forth overall, though. I fancy map 2's fighter matchups to be more relatively in the red's favour than map 1's, so we'll see how the next week plays out.

Edited by deaddonkey

Just now, SCG_Sinerox said:

Why not both? ;)

For me it kills the flow of the map and the realism. You transition from early G6 to G14, there are no proper bomber upgrades, the soviets getting p47 and spit 9 on the frontlines. And fighting over kuban in late 44. Just not my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

For me it kills the flow of the map and the realism. You transition from early G6 to G14, there are no proper bomber upgrades, the soviets getting p47 and spit 9 on the frontlines. And fighting over kuban in late 44. Just not my cup of tea. 

What other 109's do you want? The g6 with 108 is not early, and the only other variants, erla canopy, or tall tail are barely any different. Pretty sure the g-10 was just as late as the g-14. What's missing are late model VVS planes, not axis stuff, we need the yak-3 and the yak-9's or bubble canopy yak7b. Can always come play on front skies for 1946, full map rotation from moscow to berlin.

Edited by JonRedcorn
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JonRedcorn said:

What other 109's do you want? The g6 with 108 is not early, and the only other variants, erla canopy, or tall tail are barely any different. Pretty sure the g-10 was just as late as the g-14. What's missing are late model VVS planes, not axis stuff, we need the yak-3 and the yak-9's or bubble canopy yak7b. Can always come play on front skies for 1946, full map rotation from moscow to berlin.

Thats what I meant read my full message, and by early I meant no methanol ;)

25 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Just not my cup of tea

Not mine either. Much as I enjoy TAW, I hardly flew on the Kuban in the last TAW as a result and I don't intend to do so this time either.

Apart from the non-historical aspect, the BOBP aircraft are effectively still in Beta.

I would like to see a proper historical Kuban plane set in TAW too, the MiG-3 and the P-40 were both at the Kuban, but neither are in the TAW version of the Kuban

Spoiler

MiG-3_P-40_Kuban.thumb.jpg.4eac9f91b9a51c9314f6e9630806fbbf.jpg

1 hour ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Thats what I meant read my full message, and by early I meant no methanol ;)

G-6 with methanol = G-14 basically... it's the same transition, only a name change.

You guys really like to nitpick everything holy.. I don't enjoy  boddenplate planes in the plane set because I don't like seeing a boddenplate western front matchup on my eastern front campaign that's all I was saying. And I find the g6 without methanol to be the weakest 109 out there ( performance and opposition) but it has it's place on a kuban map against BoK and BoS bombers. The g14 does not.. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

The g14 does not.. 

The bomber question is moot as people will be whining over back gunners regardless. 

I find the last map BoP plane to be fun in server that is not airquake like KOTA or Combat Box. 

PS: i do like some mig-3 at kuban

Edited by Cpt_Siddy

17 minutes ago, JG51_Moostafa said:

Does anyone know the number of the current campaign? 

• Thanks 1

Do you have to wait the whole 15 secs before leaving the server? I bailed after being shotdown but still got a "Disco". Do you have to wait even if you are already shot down? Is that to make it longer so people can shoot at chutes?

17 minutes ago, Riksen said:

Do you have to wait the whole 15 secs before leaving the server? I bailed after being shotdown but still got a "Disco". Do you have to wait even if you are already shot down? Is that to make it longer so people can shoot at chutes?

In case you bailed too close to the ground and decided to disconnect before your pilot faceplants in.

Posted (edited)

Makes sense ... Although not my case as I waited in the chute for like 11 secs but I get it ... The timer is excessive then because if you bail low then it shouldnt take any more than 3-5 secs for you to hit the ground. Any time longer than that the chute will be able stop you from dying in game. 15 secs is a bit too much that is why I think it is meant as a way to promote parachute killing ...

Edited by Riksen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Riksen said:

Makes sense ... Although not my case as I waited in the chute for like 11 secs but I get it ... The timer is excessive then because if you bail low then it shouldnt take any more than 3-5 secs for you to hit the ground. Any time longer than that the chute will be able stop you from dying in game. 15 secs is a bit too much that is why I think it is meant as a way to promote parachute killing ...

I made a sketchy deadstick landing in an I-16 last night, still had to wait 15 seconds to despawn. So a bit of an annoyance for anyone who was trying to land on that airfield with my wrecked bird in the middle of it.

Just wanted to say "thanks" to this person for helping me lose both my pilot and Bf 110. Admittedly, the majority of the damage was done by the P-40, but still. Well played... :rtfm:

image.thumb.png.6a231505fff4b5a6c0bb03de9e00e400.png

39 minutes ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

Just wanted to say "thanks" to this person for helping me lose both my pilot and Bf 110. Admittedly, the majority of the damage was done by the P-40, but still. Well played... :rtfm:

image.thumb.png.6a231505fff4b5a6c0bb03de9e00e400.png

meh, you just got winged.

I got my kill stealed  by other axis once....Scroll up a bit :^)

36 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

meh, you just got winged.

Yeah, but that "winge" almost completely negated my ability to fight back against the P-40 unfortunately. I don't really mind the pilot loss so much as losing my only 110. Live and let live I reckon, $hit happens.

Posted (edited)

Dear admins,

can you change the settings for the overcast missions?

No one (almost) plays  these missions. (clouds 600m)

1657972768_tawovercast.thumb.png.576dc34760ec0be68aebc26cc9bc1d68.png

Edited by Norz
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Question about level bombing using bombsight...

This has to do with the fact that at different altitudes, the wind direction and speed changes.

I was talking to someone I fly with about how you have to kinda guess what the average wind speed and angle is, as it changes at different altitudes; he said that you just have to input the one at the altitude you're at, and you don't need to worry about the others, as if it just gives you an average from that altitude.  Also that if you're above 5km, or at 3km (which isn't stated on weather report), you just go to the nearest one... so if you were at 8km, just input the 5km weather conditions... or if you were at 3k, just input the 2km weather conditions

Is this true?  

Any other tips you guys can give me for high altitude level bombing?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, FeuerFliegen said:

Is this true?

true. It basically displays the average windspeed to the ground.

1 hour ago, FeuerFliegen said:

Any other tips you guys can give me for high altitude level bombing?

Check the wind direction and strenght before you take off, plan your sortie and then dial in the correct settings as you are sitting on the ground. As you approach make adjustments, thats less stressful.
Its always easier to bomb directly "into" or "away" from the wind. Flying right on the vector of the wind. Therefore avoiding crosswinds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DerSheriff said:

true. It basically displays the average windspeed to the ground.

What if it was at 3500?  Would it be better to chose the 2km altitude?  or the 5km altitude?

and at 10km it would be the same as 5km?

Thanks.

Just now, FeuerFliegen said:

What if it was at 3500?  Would it be better to chose the 2km altitude?  or the 5km altitude?

and at 10km it would be the same as 5km?

Thanks.

I think I would try something in between at 3,5k (which is too low on taw, the flak and fighters will have an easy time)
at 10km you can use the 5km windspeed, I dont think Il2 models any high alt wind.

Which is btw. worth a test at some point.

The Missions with Overcoast Weather (600m Clouds) are totally BS!

I am a Groundatacker, fly in the Clouds and can see nothing, but the overmodelt AAA see me, shot and killt me.

That is so frustation.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Same here.  I was in a Stuka, and flak got me when I was hiding from a fighter in the thickest part of the clouds.  Now I have a 20 hour time penalty.  

This 3 life thing can sometimes equal the epitome of frustration.  I understand the need to sway people from suicidal attacks, but I think 3 lives is too low.

On top of it I play late night/early morning when there are only 10-25 people playing, so it's not like full servers are an issue.

And it's not the overcast weather alone that is frustrating... it's the simple fact that the AI ignores the clouds and can see you regardless.

Edited by FeuerFliegen

3 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

I think I would try something in between at 3,5k (which is too low on taw, the flak and fighters will have an easy time)
at 10km you can use the 5km windspeed, I dont think Il2 models any high alt wind.

Which is btw. worth a test at some point.

With the visibility distance in game, whats the highest altitude you can realistically bomb at and still hit the target? Anything over 7km seems like it would be impossible to line up on the target.

6 hours ago, 1./JG42flesch said:

The Missions with Overcoast Weather (600m Clouds) are totally BS!

I am a Groundatacker, fly in the Clouds and can see nothing, but the overmodelt AAA see me, shot and killt me.

That is so frustation.

Based on your TAW stats, I'd say you're doing great despite the x-ray vision AAA!

I have a question about the capture mechanic. Just 5 minutes ago, I crash landed just inside friendly front lines (pictured below) and was captured.
My understanding was that if you land, or parachute, in friendly territory the chance of capture is 0%. This is obviously not the case, so my question is: how is capture probability modelled in friendly territory?

Inked307960_20190731161332_1_LI.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

With the visibility distance in game, whats the highest altitude you can realistically bomb at and still hit the target? Anything over 7km seems like it would be impossible to line up on the target.

There is a practical limit as well, all our present bombers are kinda short on breath at anything above 6k. I was bombing from 6k a few times and would not go above that. 

Aligning isn't that hard since you can often align yourself with other landmarks

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DerSheriff said:

There is a practical limit as well, all our present bombers are kinda short on breath at anything above 6k. I was bombing from 6k a few times and would not go above that. 

Aligning isn't that hard since you can often align yourself with other landmarks

This is true - 5-6k is about all you're really gonna get out of a pe2.

Seconded on alignment too - combine alignment of longer range landmarks with the recce photos of targets, drop directly into/with the wind and you'll be good to go!

Posted (edited)

I signed up for Allied this campaign and the rest of my squad is flying Axis. Is there any for me to switch my affiliation to Axis?

Edited by TWC_Creep

7 minutes ago, TWC_Creep said:

I signed up for Allied this campaign and the rest of my squad is flying Axis. Is there any for me to switch my affiliation to Axis?

You can make two separate accounts I think, one for allies and one for axis. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

You can make two separate accounts I think, one for allies and one for axis. 

Thanks for the suggestion! One of my squadmates suggested that too... I wanted to avoid having to do that - I have had issues changing my account name in the past (something gets mucked up and I become "Player-98128" for awhile). 

Was really just curious if there is an admin that could flip me. If not, no big deal.

19 minutes ago, TWC_Creep said:

Thanks for the suggestion! One of my squadmates suggested that too... I wanted to avoid having to do that - I have had issues changing my account name in the past (something gets mucked up and I become "Player-98128" for awhile). 

Was really just curious if there is an admin that could flip me. If not, no big deal.

Just make 2 taw accounts, keep your il2 account named the same, and change your TAW accounts names. I just do ACG_ItsDrifter1 for my russian account, and when i use it, i change it to ACG_ItsDrifter and change my luftwaffe account to ACG_ItsDrifter2... And when i want to switch back, do the same thing. just gotta remember your passwords for both TAW accounts

• Upvote 1

At the risk of alerting the dead horse meme squad, I'm going to be that guy....

Does anybody have a team balance chart to show?  

27 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

At the risk of alerting the dead horse meme squad, I'm going to be that guy....

Does anybody have a team balance chart to show?  

No chart, but when I was playing monday night the numbers were not bad at all. More axis players overall, but only by I think max five pilots. I had been on KOTA on sunday and flew 1 vs. 8 for about half an hour and 3 vs 10 for the rest of it so it looks pretty good to me!

That poor horse is turned in to horse powder and sold in Chinese remedy shop by now... 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

Please ban this guy

Nobb is no a excuse... hi shot me 3 times when i was landing over friend airfield

https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=8210&name=666GIAP_Tumu

https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=8297&name=morhysnougat

i was killed burned on my cockpit ,

thx mate

This also prompts a minor TAW website request.   "Shotdown" is listed in green for the attacking pilot and does not specify that it was a FF/TK.   It's obvious he did it.  I just thought I'd point out how it looks in the event log. 

• Upvote 1