I don't mind Korea but not at the cost of WWII. If they want to do that in parallel similar to TC and FC with third parties or drop TC/FC in order to get there, great!

If it's Korea but no more WWII for another four years, then no thanks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

I would like a rousing WWII Pacific Campaign with carrier take-off/landings, island based flights with ground strafing using napalm, combat planes like the Zero, Kate, Kamikaze's,  Corsair, P-38 and Hellcat.  Unfortunately I realize it's too much to ask for so I'll stay in Europe and Russia.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

I would like a rousing WWII Pacific Campaign with carrier take-off/landings, island based flights with ground strafing using napalm, combat planes like the Zero, Kate, Kamikaze's,  Corsair, P-38 and Hellcat.  Unfortunately I realize it's too much to ask for so I'll stay in Europe and Russia.

Kamikazes weren’t a type of plane, just a suicide tactic they used. Did you mean the Ohka (AKA Baka Bomb)?

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I don't mind Korea but not at the cost of WWII. If they want to do that in parallel similar to TC and FC with third parties or drop TC/FC in order to get there, great!

If it's Korea but no more WWII for another four years, then no thanks.

As much as I'd love some F-86/Mig-15 combat online in il2 I'd have to agree.

That sound reasonable I would be interested in that too. If they add some sea furys even better

Posted (edited)

PTO.  Carrier Ops are the most challenging aviation there is.  If this series skips that, particularly when it was part of IL2 '46 and lots of the faithful customer base goes back to that era and are hungry for it again, supporting the series in hopes of it returning, it would just be a major cop-out, man. 

Great times on the old WoP Zekes vs. Wildcats server.

That being said, flying a Panther, Skyraider or F4u off a carrier in a Korea scenario,  does have some allure to it... but I'd still miss my SBD...

Edited by Stoopy

I am sure we are getting korea, simply because we are giving it attention. 

The loud crowd got listen to when it came to ME 262. 

And now the general idea is that anything older would be hard to sell. 

If that was true I think GB in general is finnished. 

Korea might be wise as a pack, but neglecting early war , PTO and other theaters of ww2 before bobp would be a bad choice in my opinion. 

Personally I fly DCS for jets ,MIG 15  happends to be one of the funniest modules i that brand. And I think GB cant compete nor should with it

Korea would certainly be an interesting location. I have to admit that the Me-262 is a lot of fun. But as the "main part" of the series like BoBp I wouldn't want it. Because if we are honest, even the current area ( west front ) is only opened, it would be a waste not to continue it.  For logic's sake it would make sense to bring at least one more module, just to be able to use the (now newly created) aircraft types as a base.  And whether the capacities are free, as with TC and FC to outsource some work remains open, because also these two projects deserve a continuation. So I hope somewhere that Korea will stay far away.

On the other hand my heart beats for PTO and I would rather start yesterday than tomorrow in my beloved Zero from the Akagi...  But here again the question is how far the situation has improved with the sources and translations.  Also, as with the Western front, only another theatre would be started.  In the end we will probably find out in the coming months, even if it doesn't make waiting any better.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

The loud crowd got listen to when it came to ME 262. 

What are you referring to? KG 51, one of the most important Me 262 units, was based within the boundaries of the BoBP map throughout the BoBP timeframe - that's why the Me 262 was included.

1 hour ago, Big_Al_the_Allo said:

On the other hand my heart beats for PTO and I would rather start yesterday than tomorrow in my beloved Zero from the Akagi...  But here again the question is how far the situation has improved with the sources and translations. 

Three years have passed since they announced the "eventual move to the Pacific Theatre" - plenty of time to collect sources and get them translated. As a matter of fact, TAIU reports on Japanese equipment are already in English. Moreover, many Japanese books are very well illustrated with detailed (technical) drawings and charts.
One main reason for the postponement is frequently overlooked: "... the complexity of the subject (Ships, ..."
Carrier battles are just a small part of the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre, they don't make for good in-game campaigns, they get repetitive, ..., and they pose a serious problem to the Developers - simply go for one of the many land-based Asiatic-Pacific scenarios. The Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43 is within their capabilities, definitely researchable, and overall the most versatile scenario. There are no excuses after BoBP has been finished.

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Carrier battles are just a small part of the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre, they don't make for good in-game campaigns, they get repetitive

To me current career is repetitive, you fly 3 type of missions on static map without feel of advancement.

PTO carrier ops would be less repetitive cos fleet position can be easily randomized on open sea, which is not the case with inland ground vehicles and objectives that must be placed by mission maker.

But i like rest of your comment :) +1

So far i supported devs by buying everything and gifting planes except TC (cos i don't want to give them wrong impression regarding development path) in hope i'll see PTO in GB one day.

I really hope by end of the year we'll hear announcemet of PTO, my heart would not handle💔 another delay!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

Did you read the announcement? 

Why did they bother to post a statement about the postponement? Maybe because they communicated the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre as being the next step for quite some time?

Who knows.

"Lol."

39 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

Also why do you keep talking about excuses? Again, you weren't promised anything.

They are not making excuses; I'm just saying that there are none after BoBP.

50 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

"Our long-term vision includes the following battles, but not necessarily in this order and final selection is not concrete."

Completely taken out of context...

Try again:

"Our long-term vision includes the following battles, but not necessarily in this order and final selection is not concrete.
Battle of Kuban
Battle of Midway
Battle of Okinawa
Battle of ???
"

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

TBH I think PTO is a very strong favourite for a next title. I doubt much has changed how Jason feels about it since this post :-

• Upvote 2

@=27=Davesteu     clearly you are frustrated that there is some uncertainty around PTO.

However, as @anonymouse pointed out they said they would like to go to the pacific but they found some barriers and were not confident they could provide a pacific module at the quality level we have come to expect.

I think the devs, who have experience building flight sims, maps, and researching all the details needed to launch such a product would know best if it's feasible or not.

There have been no updates regarding the pacific for a long time. My guess is they were able to clear some hurdles but some obstacles still remain. We'll see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jade_Monkey said:

@=27=Davesteu     clearly you are frustrated that there is some uncertainty around PTO.

However, as @anonymouse pointed out they said they would like to go to the pacific but they found some barriers and were not confident they could provide a pacific module at the quality level we have come to expect.

I think the devs, who have experience building flight sims, maps, and researching all the details needed to launch such a product would know best if it's feasible or not.

There have been no updates regarding the pacific for a long time. My guess is they were able to clear some hurdles but some obstacles still remain. We'll see.

Completely agree. I'm pragmatic about the whole thing. Jason very very clearly wanted and wants to do the Pacific, however, the team and we have expectations for modeling and if its not possible then compromises have to be made either with the subject matter or with the accuracy. I'm sure that'll be a very divisive calculation for everyone to make with everyone falling around different points on the chart.

I trust 1CGS knows what they are doing and that they are doing their best to give us cool stuff. They have so far! That's why I'm here. If some plans don't work out but other ones do, so be it. It sure looks like they are listening to us and trying to give us what we're after or doing as good of a job as they can with it.

Sometimes too, the loudest voices are not always the majority and its worth keeping all of our opinions (mine included) in check when it comes to sales. I'm sure 1CGS can draw on market research both past and present and that will also factor into the decision making process. Pacific Fighters sold great apparently so I'm sure they want to go there. They probably also know how other titles did too and there may be money there as well.

Ultimately, I'm happy with just about any scenario they can give me. I'm here for the joy of flight and flight simming, the history, and the attention to detail no matter if its canvas and wood or if there's a first generation turbojet attached to it. Whatever. Let's fly :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, anonymouse said:

Anyhow, I'd like to go to the PTO...after Korea ;). The fact that we can no longer post replies to threads in the pacific theater and assistance section indicates that we're most likely not going to the pacific after Bodenplatte. My guess is they'll be making either a 44/45 eastern front scneario or Korea.

to play devils advocate it could simply mean that they have what they need. 

We shall see, I'm easily pleased, really enjoyed RoF and these first Three and 3/4 titles of Great Battles, so I trust that wherever the Dev's decide to go next I will probably enjoy that too.

If the Pacific does eventually arrive, I expect it will be the first installment from a redesigned game engine. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, anonymouse said:

They posted the statement because they probably thought that many people had not read the fine print in the announcement.

Their initial announcement was at least ambiguous in that case. In context "... final selection is not concrete" reads like they might switch to alternative Asiatic-Pacific scenarios, at least in my opinion.

1 hour ago, anonymouse said:

They did not guarantee that they would be making a pacific installation. ...they didn't promise you would be getting your PTO installation after BoBP. 

There's a difference between a guarantee and a promise. Did they guarantee the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre? No. Did they promise the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre? In my opinion, yes.

Anyway, only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

clearly you are frustrated that there is some uncertainty around PTO. 

That might be the case, agreed. I went a bit over the top there.

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

They know the best, no doubt about that. However, I've gained a general idea of what goes into developing a BoX title and, in my opinion (based on my own research), some non-carrier Asiatic-Pacific scenarios are within their capabilities.

Edited by =27=Davesteu

Having no major interest in the Pacific or Korea, I like many others will simply buy whatever they bring out in the flight sim genre after Bodenplatt  and FC1.

That said, I still think Korea is on the cards (although I'd much prefer a WWII title) ... If it does transpire to be the Pacific, then I hope they have a change of heart and produce a Guadalcanal project first, or Malaya/Singapore conflict instead of Midway.

Posted (edited)

Yes there are certainly a lot of people holding their breath when it comes to "what's next?" - and rightfully so, since the turn around on each module/theater is not a quick thing (several years from start to finish). I do think it's safe to say that it is a pretty monumental decision for the series - and there is going to be likely tears of elation, tears of sorrow, and everything in between. And we can all speculate till the cows come home, sort-of-speak (with arguments and debates to the merits, likelihood, and "ought to" 'ness [sic.] of all the possibilities) - just happy they are doing what they do. They've created a fine combat aviation simulator in a fairly lonely place, relatively speaking - and it's clear they have a love and passion for the genre. That's something we can all celebrate.

With the sudden increased popularity in the "what's next?" topic, Idk - was there an indication somewhere that an announcement was forthcoming soon? - I am trying to remember during Kuban development, the timeline for the Bodenplatte announcement.

(and as an aside, not sure where they will go next, but I think the return to Russia scenario  is probably the single least likely (unless they announce there is going to be development in parallel of different theaters (I don't think that's likely, but who knows(?)).

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Upvote 1

People are chomping at the bit for what's next yet we don't even have the Bodenplatte map yet and still several planes left to be released..and potentially the B-25

• Upvote 2

Man, you guys got it all wrong. As the most recent pre-order series (FC) demonstrates. the dev team is taking the series back in time, not forward!  After FC part 2, where we will receive a new map extending across the channel, we will receive Gothas, Handley-Page's and even Zeppelins which we can use to re-create the London bombings.

Next in the series will be a map of the southwestern U.S. and Mexico, to include the states of New Mexico USA and Chihuahua, Mexico, where we can replicate operations taken by the 1st Aero Squadron supporting the Pancho Villa expedition of 1916-1917.  The Curtis JN-3 "Jenny" will be available as a premium/collector"s aircraft.

PTO… MTO… Korea… where do you guys come up with this crazy stuff??!! 😜

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just passing by to say I really wish a WWI italian/austrian theater for Flying Circus vol. 2, if it will ever happen.

Edited by Vastarien

51 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Man, you guys got it all wrong. As the most recent pre-order series (FC) demonstrates. the dev team is taking the series back in time, not forward!  After FC part 2, where we will receive a new map extending across the channel, we will receive Gothas, Handley-Page's and even Zeppelins which we can use to re-create the London bombings.

Next in the series will be a map of the southwestern U.S. and Mexico, to include the states of New Mexico USA and Chihuahua, Mexico, where we can replicate operations taken by the 1st Aero Squadron supporting the Pancho Villa expedition of 1916-1917.  The Curtis JN-3 "Jenny" will be available as a premium/collector"s aircraft.

PTO… MTO… Korea… where do you guys come up with this crazy stuff??!! 😜

"Those magnificent men and their flying machines: the game (VR)"

About the PTO: IMHO if carrier operations are an issue then a perfectly reasonable response would be to do a land based campaign.  Guadalcanal or something else.  This way the team takes a bite out of the PTO without having to eat the elephant all at once.

It is a different team doing FC.  Whatever they do I sincerely hope that they do not ignore corps two seaters (recon, spotting, etc.).  Doing WWI without them is like doing strategic western front without heavy bombers.  You can sub in whatever is there but the glaring hole is obvious.

@Stoopy In RoF they really did give us HPs, Gothas and the channel map, along with WWI float planes.  No zeppelins though.  Since it's already there and the existing stuff can at least be used as a baseline for FC add ons, it's not impossible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@Stoopy In RoF they really did give us HPs, Gothas and the channel map, along with WWI float planes.  No zeppelins though.  Since it's already there and the existing stuff can at least be used as a baseline for FC add ons, it's not impossible.

Thanks! Yep I also have RoF and loved the Gotha.  Was a little bummed to not see it mentioned yet for FC but I'll be very happy when the Halberstadt CL.II comes along. 

Carrier ops with a Zeppelin though... now we're talkin'! 🌻🕊️

Edited by Stoopy

I like to have the Midway scenario, it contain my favorite planes Dauntless , Devastator, Avenger, Kate and Val. And it bring on a possibility of seaplanes.

But I like to have some jungle activity as well, Burma New Guinea. Those will bring C 47, Beufighters, and some IJA aircraft.

It is not a must to get PTO, but I am afraid of what they recon wil top BOPB, and they might think going back in time will not pay off

I whould love Korea, But most of all, I wish for Gloster Meteor. A real competitor to the me 262 that realy saw action in ww2. Make it a Collector plane.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since we've heard of the LI2 that should follow the PO2 based on its sales.
I would like to do really interesting transport missions in red sides

39 minutes ago, Axurit said:

It's been a long time since we've heard of the LI2 that should follow the PO2 based on its sales.
I would like to do really interesting transport missions in red sides

Indeed I would like to hear more as well. I do believe however that we wont hear much for a while. The Po2 took a long while for updates to start rolling out. The process might be more streamlines by now though.

I seem to remember Jason stating the Li2 is already contracted to them but I cant find that quote for the life of me

• Upvote 1

In the annouce of BoBp, FC, TC, and u2.

"Last but not least, part of our overall plan is to work with one of our long-time professional development partners to produce airplanes. This is not a guaranteed success and much work needs to be done to make this a reality, but we are giving it a shot. There is much more to our airplanes than just the model. Much training will need to be done to pull this off. If successful, we plan to make the Li-2 next. We are making NO PROMISES, but here are a couple very early WIP pics."

I have always though, that the original C47 would be a better choice than the Li-2, we would have the possibility to use it over all the frontlines possible. Over USSR too, the VVS used a lot of american made C47 during the war thanks to lend-lease.

The Li-2 would be only usefull over USSR during ww2 and over Korea if this theater is done.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Notclear said:

In the annouce of BoBp, FC, TC, and u2.

"Last but not least, part of our overall plan is to work with one of our long-time professional development partners to produce airplanes. This is not a guaranteed success and much work needs to be done to make this a reality, but we are giving it a shot. There is much more to our airplanes than just the model. Much training will need to be done to pull this off. If successful, we plan to make the Li-2 next. We are making NO PROMISES, but here are a couple very early WIP pics."

I have always though, that the original C47 would be a better choice than the Li-2, we would have the possibility to use it over all the frontlines possible. Over USSR too, the VVS used a lot of american made C47 during the war thanks to lend-lease.

The Li-2 would be only usefull over USSR during ww2 and over Korea if this theater is done.

Li-2 is better option as it has russian engines and timers and not poor american ones, and it has rear turret 12.7mm and that makes him imposible to get shoot down by axis fighters as shown by pe-2, and you can just use it with usaf skin and removed turret option on west front. But i hope they do somethng els insted of it. oh yes it can also carry bombs

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Next Box? Burma would be absolutely wonderful but I think it will be Korea.

Would be stoked if we went to Burma next, or certain that region.

Not sure I’d want to go down the Korea route though, not my cup of tea.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 19RAF_scram77 said:

Not sure I’d want to go down the Korea route though, not my cup of tea.

Burma would definitely be my first choice but there are some very interesting aircraft  in the Korean war time frame

Hawker Sea Fury

F-86 Sabre

F-94 Starfire

F4U Corsair

DH.100 Vampire

Meteor

Lavochkin La-9

MiG-15

Ilyushin IL-10 

to name but a few.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

It is a different team doing FC.  Whatever they do I sincerely hope that they do not ignore corps two seaters (recon, spotting, etc.).  Doing WWI without them is like doing strategic western front without heavy bombers.  You can sub in whatever is there but the glaring hole is obvious.

I would think the next step for FC would be a Verdun map. There are a number of widely used earlier planes to still be developed like the Spad VII and the Nieuports. They still have 2 representative 2 seat airplanes to serve as photo recon and observation planes to finish for this release. With the current plane set over Arras, it’s going to be the Sopwith Camel and Dolphin vs the Red Baron in his Fokker Dr.I. Without a French/American front there is no historical location for a Spad XIII vs Fokker DVII battle which would be the last 100 days of WWI.

Obviously it’s early to speculate on what’s next since the current version isn’t even done yet, but at least there is a logical progression for FC2 which would actually still allow you to fight with or against the “Flying Circus” on a historical battlefield. It looks like the first scripted historical campaign for FC might be “The Red Baron” or some such thing. 😉

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Upvote 1

Hoping for a decent DD today after all its been one month since we last had one, that said there has been an update in that time so can't complain too much .  

• Upvote 2