Zak

Game version 1.003 discussion

Mission counters in the campaign work for me after todays patch.

Thanks devs.

• Upvote 1

Just cleaned the topic from personal arguments..

Guys, If you want to have a private discussion, please do it by PM, please.

Game seems more stable now too. Thanks guys!

Here too. Just flew around for an hour doing a quick mission without a hiccup. Very smooth.

Man! I have to get my licks in on BoS. Oh, wa

it. I like it! I don't have a lot of time to fly it but when I do I feel pretty good afterwards. I like that it's being continually updated. No sim is perfect. This one won't please all of the people all of the time. But I'm OK with how it's progressing. The FMB and the increased server/MP capacities will sit well with many, including me. Patience is it's own reward. 

ACG_5./JG26_Flyby out

I still run your DieBys ......;)

Thanks guys!

You all making a fantastic job. Cant believe it. Every day a patch!

Thanks for your hard work, making BOS with every patch better and better

S!

Thanks guys ... runs smooth again. I was bordering on a low level stutter.

The fix of overheated guns and engine on the start of the Campaign mission is ready.

You need to update now.

• Upvote 1

Everyone who have hangups and application crashes in Campaign:

Please try to do two things:

1. Update your Java

2. Try to turn off "Full Screen" option in game together with using maximum resolution (equal to windows desktop)

Please PM me after 3 days:

1. Your result (crashes remained / crashes appearing not so often as before / nothing changed)

2. Description which exact crashes kind you have had (need a description how your chrashes looks like, which symptoms they have and in which moment they appears)

• Upvote 2

Good work all round on the patches, very impressed by the support !

S!

1. Java is up to latest release. Should not be a problem.

2. Going to try this, but I wonder why I should use windowed mode when hardware works best in full screen? Especially those with SLI or CrossFire will suffer if running windowed.

SeriousFox

There is a real good program called Voice Attack that I use with BoS. 

It really changes the dynamics when giving commands by voice rather than keys.

http://www.voiceattack.com/

S!

cheers, tried this out last night, makes a massive difference for calls to wingmen.

• Upvote 1

S!

2. Going to try this, but I wonder why I should use windowed mode when hardware works best in full screen? Especially those with SLI or CrossFire will suffer if running windowed.

Probably so that the developers know if the problem is related to running in full screen. Which might be a bit difficult if you also update Java at the same time, though.

I must recognize that things have improved a lot. I have no more CTDs. Missions are flown to the end. Good Job guys.

Now there is one thing that I would prefer to have during the campaign, and that is the custom realism.

At the moment you have normal and expert. Both are extremes and there is no middle version.

I hate all those icons on planes and targets, but I want to be able to have external views. 

I like to make short movies but not with all those icons. And in Expert you can only see the cockpit.

Very frustrating indeed.

I must recognize that things have improved a lot. I have no more CTDs. Missions are flown to the end. Good Job guys.

Now there is one thing that I would prefer to have during the campaign, and that is the custom realism.

At the moment you have normal and expert. Both are extremes and there is no middle version.

I hate all those icons on planes and targets, but I want to be able to have external views. 

I like to make short movies but not with all those icons. And in Expert you can only see the cockpit.

Very frustrating indeed.

You can always turn them off in normal,  in settings/with hot keys, H for movies/immersion

Cheers Dakpilot

Keep the good work!

Thanks for the effort on all the support team and by the way, my stats are working again ;)

Cheers,

Peterla

YAY! - I finally realised you can hit "i" and have all the icons/markers removed from the "o" map in expert mode. Back to manual navigation. Woohoo!

• Upvote 2

Since the game is been relased i have noticed that in mp i have to change the camo everytime i respaw.
Also lag is really too much, maybe too many players at the same time ?

Very frustrating indeed.

When you record the track,you can then view it and change your view to external,even switch inbetween other flying planes or ground targets.You can  switch off HUD messages as well :salute:

Everyone who have hangups and application crashes in Campaign:

Please try to do two things:

1. Update your Java

2. Try to turn off "Full Screen" option in game together with using maximum resolution (equal to windows desktop)

Please PM me after 3 days:

1. Your result (crashes remained / crashes appearing not so often as before / nothing changed)

2. Description which exact crashes kind you have had (need a description how your chrashes looks like, which symptoms they have and in which moment they appears)

Han,

Do you mean uncheck 'Full Screen' and run at native resolution (2560x1440 on my screen, which will still be full screen ) or to run windowed at reduced resolution say 1920x1440?

Han,

Do you mean uncheck 'Full Screen' and run at native resolution (2560x1440 on my screen, which will still be full screen ) or to run windowed at reduced resolution say 1920x1440?

Run the game at your native resolution. 

I have no more CTD's for now, without even trying the fix above.

Before the last patches, I was also getting a CTD every 3 missions or so, very annoying to say the least...

Now it seems to be gone! Great!

A quick feed back : 

Gunners from any planes seems to be sniper. Once they shoot, they kill the engine very quickly (almost instantly

A quick feed back :

Gunners from any planes seems to be sniper. Once they shoot, they kill the engine very quickly (almost instantly

This is very easy to hit attacking plane if it's approaching from the rear.

You need attack from above and aside, starting from 900..1500m, don't sit on bomber's 6 o'clock.

That is the trick.

Haven't killed him in first dive? Climb aside again to the same start attack position in above and aside. And dive again.

Don't hold behind the target.

Or

You may be a marksman - set convergence to 1000m and kill him by short bursts from stable position in 900..1100m behing him.

• Upvote 2

You may be a marksman - set convergence to 1000m and kill him by short bursts from stable position in 900..1100m behing him.

If someone is capable of that, i wanna desperately see a video of it  :biggrin:  :o:

I don't remember what was the book, but it was said somewhere that during BoB British pilots were told to sit on the six of German bombers and pull the trigger so long that the bomber went down...

I think we are underestimating the effectiveness of gunners in WWII a bit. Planes were indeed damaged and shot down by gunners. You could not attack at will and not pay a price. There are successful strategies in our titles that when used work to down bombers.

Jason

• Upvote 6

Update your Java

Couldn't you package the necessary JRE with your product? We do this with our java rich clients.

This is very easy to hit attacking plane if it's approaching from the rear.

You need attack from above and aside, starting from 900..1500m, don't sit on bomber's 6 o'clock.

That is the trick.

Haven't killed him in first dive? Climb aside again to the same start attack position in above and aside. And dive again.

Don't hold behind the target.

Or

Indeed :)

Should have been more specific :

Staying on the 6 and being shot is perfectly ok .... Diving behind a plane at 600 km/h, verticaly, from above to below and being one shotted in the engine from what I would call a snapshot , almost everytime ,is not OK in my opinion.

Edited by LAL_Trinkof

Re bombers' gunners and bombers attack strategies I second Shraps and Han. Slashing attacks from above or frontal attacks. Any other tactic is suicidal, in real life and in game.

Re bombers' gunners and bombers attack strategies I second Shraps and Han. Slashing attacks from above or frontal attacks. Any other tactic is suicidal, in real life and in game.

Rear attack can be successful if you've enough speed.  Personally, I love the AI at level 9, it's about terrifying to engage.  Side note, the CH Fighterstick is holding up nicely, considering how many times I have attempted to break it in half.

I think we are underestimating the effectiveness of gunners in WWII a bit. Planes were indeed damaged and shot down by gunners. You could not attack at will and not pay a price. There are successful strategies in our titles that when used work to down bombers.

Jason

I underestimating the effectiveness of gunners in WWII, because they not shot at me. :)

If I see a bomber that start to turn I turn with him to get very close to him with low speed. I can see the enemy turret gunner. He can see me and I see him. He still not open fire at me. I say the enemy pilot hello and we fly together. Thats WWII.

The Happy End the enemy bomber ends his turn to fly straight. The bullets are flying from both side. Only one plane survive. I missing my friend. :(

We learned: " A WWII turret gunner never shoot at you if his plane turn. If his plane fly straight he open fire. But to this time we are friends and fly together. " :salute:

Edited by Superghostboy

I'll ask Loft about it.

Did Loft have any response about turning off SSAO and other post effects? Some players managed to find a way to turn it some of the post effects off (SSAO / Bloom) at least temporarily and it made their game look a lot crisper and better looking by removing the grainy film that appears over the view. It also removed the shimmering that planes were getting when entering clouds.

Graphical presets are designed to make things simple for players which we all get. However when the graphical presets that most players use (High / Ultra) result in the graphical quality of the game as a whole taking a noticeable hit from a badly implemented SSAO, bloom, etc. then surely there's a problem here that needs addressing? When a new user fires up the game for the first time and turns on all the eye candy they're going to be wondering what that grainy film is over their eyes and that gives a bad first impression in my opinion. Personally I'm amazed this made it past your internal testing without getting fixed or removed until fixed. By giving people the option to turn these off until such time that they get fixed it just allows us to enjoy the game more without having to drop down the balanced preset. Surely there's no huge difficulty in implementing a few tick boxes that switch these off in the config file? Every single PC game in the market today that has these post effects have them as optional. This current approach taken by BOS is really quite hard to understand and is not helping.

• Upvote 8

Some players managed to find a way to turn it some of the post effects off (SSAO / Bloom) at least temporarily and it made their game look a lot crisper and better looking by removing the grainy film that appears over the view. It also removed the shimmering that planes were getting when entering clouds.

How did they manage to turn it off? And what grainy film? Maybe it's cause I've played with it for so long that I'm used to it, but it's not obvious to my eyes? 

S!

I did some testing on "another title" regarding the post processing effects. They did not degrade the image as in BoS, just gave softer and warmer colors. I still prefer them Off as image is crisp. Even I understand some of the logic behind the presets I just can't fly the sim because of the image quality. I see that "smeary film" everywhere I look. It is horrendous. And if turning them off helped with the shimmering of planes against clouds, why not remove it? At least one culprit less :) Otherwise the game runs extremely smoothly, at least for me, using the Catalyst 14.9.2 Beta drivers.

• Upvote 1

How did they manage to turn it off? And what grainy film? Maybe it's cause I've played with it for so long that I'm used to it, but it's not obvious to my eyes? 

Post 12 here though not sure it works anymore: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/11817-graphic-options-poll/

If you drop down from ultra to balanced you'll notice the difference. Just look down around the pit at ultra and then again at balanced. There's a very noticeable grainy film over your eyes at ultra settings. 

Post 12 here though not sure it works anymore: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/11817-graphic-options-poll/

If you drop down from ultra to balanced you'll notice the difference. Just look down around the pit at ultra and then again at balanced. There's a very noticeable grainy film over your eyes at ultra settings. 

The new update renders it useless. I'll test that, thanks!

S!

Easiest spotted when you look around in the cockpit or at the skydome. A clear "layer" changing shape. Low light conditions make it even worse. If there is a straight beam of light on the surface, like the sun, it is much less pronounced. I do not know if 121Hz monitor makes a difference how well you see it.