Zak

Game version 1.003 discussion

Skin templates are being worked on. There will hopefully be lots of cool looking skins available. We'll be giving everyone a nice template for each plane saving artists lots of time. Just like we did with ROF.

Jason

Thanks for this confirmation, Jason.   I was getting a little worried when I saw that skins were such a major part of the unlocks that maybe something had changed about the plans for user skins in BoS.

I really like the bones of this sim, it has a lot going for it all told. About 2 patches pre launch, it was running smoothly and I was having so much fun. However somewhere just before release my game became barely playable. I have had such a performance decrease and I hardly get playable frame rates anymore,(Specs in sig below) peppered with bad stutter.

Where before my game was using 80-99% of my GPU, now it rarely goes over 45% - usually its between 30-40%. I am not sure if this is the only cause of the slow down, but it hasn't got better with the 1.003 build. I am so flippin' upset about it. My CPU is also only being 50-60% used so there is plenty of capacity that the game isn't accessing. My rig is well within the released specs and I just don't know who else to ask or what to do about it.

I really don't mind the graphic presets but I can't turn off any graphic settings to try and get playable frames (at least a constant 35-40 fps would be good enough) But as it stands I am getting around 22-28fps with stutters when it matters, in both SP and MP) weirdly, putting it on higher settings smooths out the stuttering noticeably.

Please Jason and crew, please let me play, please.

As far as features go -

-Coop play would be nice, it'd help lessen the very isolated feeling I get in the SP campaign, at least you can talk to someone else on the way to and from action points. And you a friend can level up together with maybe a shared feeling of accomplishment.

- The sound really must be fixed, but I am sure you guys are well aware of this.

- Also the AI accuracy is just completely ridiculous... Bomber gunners aside, cause you can maybe make an argument for them being so deadly, the veteran and even the average fighter AI are practically forensic in their accuracy. (I won't even mention Ace AI) I think that they fly really well and naturally and they can have at times very human tenancies... Which is awesome. But their accuracy, sheesh, they can snipe you even when they are a dot in the distance and you practically can't see them, never mind attempt a shot.

-  Recording - Playback and track naming is a not well thought out... You should be given a option to rename a track when you leave the mission.

If you have recorded multiple tracks in one scenario - in the exit menu you should be able to rename/index the tracks without having to exit to main,

then go into tracks then trawl through the lists to find the tracks to rename - also in the track list there should be a chronological grouping option to view most recently recorded.

Last but not least, a "Bookmark" feature in the recordings process, maybe mapped to a button, making referencing a specific moment / event much easier to find / jump to in playback.

I am assuming that the "edit" feature in the track menu is not yet finished, cause you can't seem to edit anything (unless I am dof and just don't know how - Maybe someone can tell me if this is working yet or not.)

Zoom - because you need to zoom much and often, It'd be massively helpful if when zoomed into a narrow FOV the x & y axis movement slows proportionally to the zoom amount ie full zoom = 50% movement speed to keep the view stable and smooth

AI been crashing a lot after take off if you delay your take off. Caught this two missions in a row now.

Recording should have a "tick" option, as I suggested a while ago, to always be turned on, but then there is a limit for the files and it simply turns off without warning in game. The renaming is adequate imo - date & time stamp - and a option to change name after mission end would be a nice touch.

Did not notice any performance issues except the textures for non default skins take a second longer to load. If anything, and taking from a run on the LD server with the more populated mission ( more assets and more AI ground ) I'd say it is running better. Hard to judge the SP part but having no big issues in the missions.

Skin templates are being worked on. There will hopefully be lots of cool looking skins available. We'll be giving everyone a nice template for each plane saving artists lots of time. Just like we did with ROF.

Jason

Won't have to unlock those too will we?

Jason

Is there a chance the skinsystem in BOS can be reconsidered to be analog ROF so skins can also be used in ranked servers if they are previously approved?

Jason

Excellent news, thank you .

stats still don't work properly in multiplayer. I often count as kia while I have been always alive and kickin'

Requesst to change the very good Tracking Record of il-2'46 - with options to record after end mission, and the Instant Record by press a key (like in BoS) lead to horrible method used in CloD:

is need leave the game to GUI and type a name for the track... How one do this online if want record a combat that will start? Often the "fix" only makes things worse...

One thing I noted - in one of the daytime missions (I think it was midday/early afternoon maybe) I saw a recurrence of the weird sky problem I've noted a few times before.  The first time I thought it might be a function of DSR, but then I saw it with DSR off so I thought it might have been a function of using the "balanced" preset, but tonight I saw it while using the "high" preset (DSR still off).  It looks like this:

BoS-skycreasesonhigh-noDSR-1.jpg

Anybody else getting that?

That does look bad.

It looks to me like edges of textures not merged together right, or an attempt to make the sky dome look more round but it missed the mark.

It looks bad and needs some tweaking.

Jason

Any chance to allow custom skins in the campaign? I' play mostly online, but there are people who play offline campaign and they may like to use their own skins. Anything to make people more interested in the campaign would help at this point.

I am currently unlocking for the Stuka. Following observations:

- it is impossible to use the big bomb (I think it's the 1800 kg) for ground attack, only for bombing. Don't see the difference. Can't see why.

- pitch trim is too weak. Same for yaw. I cannot put the ball in the centre with yaw trim.

- The unlockable skins are most of the time boring (ok, that is a subjective matter, but most of them are just variations of the same white paint with only small almost unnoticeable differences like different numbering or spinner colour. Imho not enough to be motivating to unlock them). Why no yellow nose stukas or desert paint stukas like for other planes? Or a paint like this?

box1.jpg

On a general note concerning bomber campaign missions (doing axis bomber right now)

- Particularly too much single bomber missions. This feels especially wrong when in a Stuka. Too little bomb load per plane whereas the Heinkel has enough to compensate for smaller number, I understand that the game engine may not be capable to handle realistic bomber flight numbers but why limit it to 4 or 6 anyway? 

- The gunners are not meant to spend their ammo on ground targets but they do. If they have enough spare ammo of course then it's ok. But imho the pilot should order his gunner to do so specifically.

- I miss a flight commander order "attack mission target". I usually end up with wingmen still with their bomb load when running home despite me having ordered them to attack nearest ground target, in particular when flying stuka. Sometimes it is necessary to obtain mission objective by the wingmen because of me not aiming well enough. Then it is hurting that the wingmen don't do what I want them to.

- The damping of the autolevel pilot is far too weak and too close to the stability limit. Please move the real part of the root further to the negative side of the root locus and if possible reduce the imaginary part. It continues to oscillate well after having made a request for left or right turn. This is particularly critical when doing level bombing. Small corrections when having the target already in bomb sight take too long to stabilize for doing a successfull aiming.

I realized on a positive side that the wingmen dump their bomb load before preparing for landing: thumps up!

I now unlock for the VVS bombers. I've done the IL2 and now started with the Pe2.

Further observations:

- What is overdone on German bomber and attack planes it is underdone in VVS ones: I talk about the level-autopilot. While on German planes it oscillates like crazy when ordering a left or right bank and takes too long to stabilize, the oscillations on the VVS planes are thankfully absent. HOWEVER: They are just too slow to bank. I correct my course while in the bomb sight view and I cannot finish the manoeuver before I have already passed the target. This makes level bombing impossible except by extremely precise navigation from the pilot seat. Considering the rather bad view ahead in the Pe2 it is probably luck to hit the right track. So for the autolevel pilot please increase stability margin and reduce imaginary parts of the roots for German planes but reduce stability margin (move root further towards imaginary axis) for VVS planes so we have a faster response.

- Generally the approach time is much much too short. For German planes it's 3 mins and that is already limit. For VVS planes it is 2:40 which is simply insufficient.

Edited by sturmkraehe

This game is 50% complete.
Please, you end up developing.

What does that even mean?

What's the other 50% that is missing according to you?

Jason

can we use are own custom templates right now?

So %^$#%T#$ frustrated with the campaign crashes when ending a mission. 

If you are gonna force us to unlock things, at least make it possible for us to do so.

So %^$#%T#$ frustrated with the campaign crashes when ending a mission. 

If you are gonna force us to unlock things, at least make it possible for us to do so.

Yeah - frustrating.  After being much more stable (for me at least) since Friday, I just got bit by a recurrence of the Esc key bug.  Made it back after a very successful IL-2 ground support mission, landed, hit Esc, and ...nothing.  Can't exit the mission so will have to alt-tab out and close BoS.  

Given that things had been stable again for a few days, I started re-testing some things like graphics settings, DSR, etc. for the first time in 3 days, so I'm wondering if maybe the recurrence of the Esc key bug is related to that.  Problem is, I tested so many settings in several mission before this bug hit me, so it may be a bit tough to isolate what went wrong this last time and whether it had anything to do with it or not.  Back to more testing :(

can we use are own custom templates right now?

Not for the moment, the skin viewer it is necessary .

To manufacture them .

Edited by A-E-Hartmann

This might help some with CTD's aswell as failed to update problems i suggest this as a POSSIBLE fix, it worked for me.I use ccleaner free program and use the reg fixer quite easy to use.

What does that even mean?

What's the other 50% that is missing according to you?

I speak of the 109 F4, which more time I've flown.

Not well modeled slats.

Unimplemented RPM control. Throttle lock for not putting emergency power not implemented.

Compensator elevator to go straight and level should be in position 2 points to cruising speed. That is wrong. Correct position 0 points

The sound of the shooting enemies is still failing.

Real clock on the screen of commands not implemented.

Orders of the pilot not implemented in multiplayer.

There is no option of training squadron.

Failure statistics demolition / deaths.

There is no database of statistics in multiplayer.

I cannot change my name to add the TAG of the squadron.

There is a single map. It is boring after many months.

Expert mode see my plane and aircraft enemies on the map.

Not available campaign co-op mode.

I am rooting for this Simulator and like it better than other simulators.

But it is a lie if they want to make me believe that it is already completed at 100%.

This Simulator is less than 50% of development.

• Upvote 1

I hope they're at about 2% complete.  Just barely getting started.

I was having the crashes at the end of campaign missions and when exiting the game.  I am running windows 8.1.  I turned on the "Windows 7 compatibility mode" in the properties window for the "IL-2.exe" program and now the game is running excellent with virtually no crashes.  If the shoe fits you might try this.  Hope it helps.

• Upvote 1

I was having the crashes at the end of campaign missions and when exiting the game.  I am running windows 8.1.  I turned on the "Windows 7 compatibility mode" in the properties window for the "IL-2.exe" program and now the game is running excellent with virtually no crashes.  If the shoe fits you might try this.  Hope it helps.

i'll definitely try this. I'll try anything that might help

These things you cite make up 50% of game development according to you?  :o:

This Simulator is missing many dynamics, to be a completed game see it simple and arcade.

Only talk of the 109 which is what I flight to know others and themes graphic there are many problems, campaigns give errors, the Track IR do not work well as other simulators, the zoom is very unstable, it is not compatible with Nvidia 3D vision! Neither Oculos Rift.

But it is a lie if they want to make me believe that it is already completed at 100%.

I hope they're at about 2% complete.  Just barely getting started.

That I would like to believe.

Edited by IIIJG52BlackWest

:salute:  :salute: Fixed!! Game was telling me I needed to update when I started it up..My new friend for life FalkeEins gave me the way out of problem...I reinstalled my downloaded installation file and :salute:

presto its up and running I would never have figured that one out

Thank you

Thanks for these improvements and corrections ! Wish you all devs a good and long relaxing weekend :)

On a side note though, update is taking ages to download. I'm using a 300MB/s optic fiber Internet connection ; I could accept an 8KB/s download rate for a free or even freemium game, but not for a paying one. Guys, you gotta do something about that...

Edit : very minor issue, but the progress bar seems bugged.

Edited by ShugNinx

Think you grabbed the wrong thread, major thread necro here lol.

We are long past version 1.003.

;)

Edited by dburne

53 minutes ago, dburne said:

;)

I'll have two more glasses of the cabernet and the check, thanks!

1 hour ago, dburne said:

;)

I really wonder how I managed to post here... I swear I just followed the links from the game launcher down to here.

56 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I'll have two more glasses of the cabernet and the check, thanks!

I confess red wine may well have had some impact on the process :biggrin:

Edited by ShugNinx