Zak

Game version 1.003 discussion

I'm cringing in anticipation of the backlash from this. I have no doubt that these guys need to do this for testing purposes but it seems like they're jumping straight from the frying pan and into the fire with this one.

Like I said, I'm sure the end goal is a good one but holy hell guys, good luck.

Welcome to our world where it's never enough to satisfy everyone. Any time the team wants to take some time to optimize something you should be happy. Anyways, I thought MP was dead according to several posts I have seen, so no one should mind a temporary limitation. Issues like this is why we have limited the number of folks who have the Dserver and their input has lead us to find some issues that need work. In the end, it's a good thing.

Jason

• Upvote 2

I predict an angry mob.

I predict a lot of the same characters who always complain. All of our current Dserver partners are smart people and understand our need to do this.

Jason 

• Upvote 2

I'm cringing in anticipation of the backlash from this. I have no doubt that these guys need to do this for testing purposes but it seems like they're jumping straight from the frying pan and into the fire with this one.

Like I said, I'm sure the end goal is a good one but holy hell guys, good luck.

I really hope the community doesn't knee-jerk. I'm actually seeing this as a very temporary thing as we've all seen how well larger caps run. If anything I think its great they're willing to re-evaluate since a lot of devs for other games hand out shitty code then wait years to optimize it (Think Battlefield 4). 

My only hope is just have a general idea (not a promise or deadline) for when they hope to increase caps again to subside those who so readily grab their pitchforks and torches.

Welcome to our world where it's never enough to satisfy everyone. Any time the team wants to take some time to optimize something you should be happy. Anyways, I thought MP was dead according to several posts I have seen, so no one should mind a temporary limitation. Issues like this is why we have limited the number of folks who have the Dserver and their input has lead us to find some issues that need work. In the end, it's a good thing.

Jason

Very well put.

Jason, did YOU delete my post?

One skin unlocked

Yes it was pointless. Just going to cause a fight.

Jason

Let's get some more dservers kickin then... the ones with missions are like foie gras torchon... deathmatch is just goose barf.

• Upvote 1

I'm just looking at this as a good thing. If they optimize even more now, it just means we'll get to push things harder later. Think mass AI bomb raids as objectives and stuff we've seen SE try on a bigger or at least smoother scale.

I really hope the community doesn't knee-jerk. I'm actually seeing this as a very temporary thing as we've all seen how well larger caps run. If anything I think its great they're willing to re-evaluate since a lot of devs for other games hand out shitty code then wait years to optimize it (Think Battlefield 4). 

My only hope is just have a general idea (not a promise or deadline) for when they hope to increase caps again to subside those who so readily grab their pitchforks and torches.

I'm with you 100% but I have my doubts, this community has not exactly been lenient when it comes to unpopular dev decisions but then I can't really name any game community that ever has been.

Jason and his boys have got some serious balls that's for sure, I just hope they're thick skinned enough to take what has and will probably come at them. They've created something special, warts and all, they should be commended for what they've accomplished thus far, not stuck up on a stake and cooked for it.

All the best guys, you weathered the last storm, if there's another one brewing on the horizon (and I hope there isn't) you'll weather it too, keep up the good work, can't wait to see some co-op missions up there.

Edited by 72ndSulaco

I'm just looking at this as a good thing. If they optimize even more now, it just means we'll get to push things harder later. Think mass AI bomb raids as objectives and stuff we've seen SE try on a bigger or at least smoother scale.

That's what I tell myself as well, to fight the natural urge to be annoyed.

And hell yeah, the potential for greatness is definitely there.

I'm with you 100% but I have my doubts, this community has not exactly been lenient when it comes to unpopular dev decisions but then I can't really name any game community that ever has been.

The timing is horrible indeed.  :biggrin:

Maybe in hindsights it would've been better to throw both of the "bombs" out there together three weeks back. 

This is so funny people are getting the hump because the dev's taking a look at the code to make it better 

It's a bit like in my game when people call me out at all hours to fix their boilers and then they talk to me like crap when i turn up as if its my fault Its broke  :unsure:

• Upvote 1

But it is your fault Dan.  Customer is always right...

:lol:

Edited by SYN_Bandy

But it is your fault Dan.  Customer is always right...

Well I just tell em they need a new boiler right up near xmas  :cool:  

Thanks to all who understands that some things just need to be done for common good.

Special thanks to server owners who turned out (not surprisingly though) to be very reasonable too.

Everyone else - please, don't waste your nerves for no reason, we love you too.

• Upvote 14

The game is downloading a update now its 81.64 MB huge. Change-Log??

Thank you for your hard work so far. If the limit on the server cap is for the greater good so be it and all i can say is Amen.

The game is downloading a update now its 81.64 MB huge. Change-Log??

Post #142

Cheers Dakpilot

Thanks for Jason's post.  I think everyone here can understand why you do the limitation on DServer after your guys explaination. KEEP MOVING...!

Thanks for the hard work thats going on to make the game even betther :-D

~S~

they are aiming for a greater cause so i'm fine with it  :biggrin:

~FTT

I predict a lot of the same characters who always complain. All of our current Dserver partners are smart people and understand our need to do this.

Jason 

Can I assume that all the servers are commercial grade varying with in about 3 generations? do any of the server operators have consumer grade (home PC mid level)  equipment from which to give a baseline performance?

p.s when I start DServer it keeps telling me there is a new version but will not update...how do I force an update?

You mean LAN?

I think he ment to be able to fire up online game from your computer without dserver.Like it is in RoF.For small COOPs with friends.I am waiting for this option to start flying with my brother.Hope you make it till xmas as I plan little present for him :salute:

Zak or Jason can we have some informations about this ?  :cool:

We would like to know if it will be possible in the futur to host small COOPs without the Dserver ? (like in RoF or Il2 1946)

You can see more people interested about this subject in this topic

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12144-hosting-private-and-online/

Good news about the net code optimisation. Particularly for non US/EU users. Thanks for putting in the extra effort!

Another update awaiting when I got home. Pretty amazing I think. Amazing restraint form the developers too.

I was never asked for server metrics from the devs...I wonder what they're basing this on.

...Anyways, I thought MP was dead according to several posts I have seen, so no one should mind a temporary limitation...
Mother of god.
Edited by =SE=AbortedMan

Like Jason refered to, most of us feel like multiplayer is completely dead anyways. I rarely go online and see servers with more than 15 people in them (apart from that SYN server that only gets packed for a small amount of time in EU time). The 33 people limit sucks, but its not like theres even ever 33 people to fill these servers in the first place. 

Correct.

Multiplayer is dead and we're a week out of release. :lol:

Best get back to that fantastic campaign!

• Upvote 3

I'm genuinely curious as to why/how limiting player numbers provides data on higher player counts. If the reason for the limitation is to rollback a feature while devs fix it/improve it and so the public doesn't it see it in its "broken" state, I get it (a little late for that, IMO)...but 32 players seems a bit conservative.

I'd also like to know if servers will be capped at the goal of 64 players once/if they reach whatever benchmark is needed.

I think more limitations of future planned features is probably the last thing this product could use right now.

Edited by =SE=AbortedMan

After 2 campaign missions I have just had a crash to desktop ONCE AGAIN, had about 6 of them so far. This time it was during flight back to base in campaign after spending nearly an hour and a half in a sortie. It's got to the point where im actually afraid to spend time in the campaign trying to unlock anything as it's hours of my time wasted over and over again, annoyed would be an understatement. :angry:  Going to try the latest nvidia drivers and see if that makes a difference. It's only happening in the campaign.

Edited by Flack88

afer the patch today, launch a 1800kg bomb with Ju87 into the campaign and games freeze at the bomb impact .... had to kill the process ....

hum ... patch are tested before released? 

The current dserver build has a lot of additional info that it didn't have even 2 weeks ago. We can provide info for the Devs in much greater detail than before. Obviiously I can't go into detail but I would be confident that we can move quickly to a higher player count. Work on optimisations is never wasted IMHO.

Looking forward to better, more optimised code soon :)

I'm genuinely curious as to why/how limiting player numbers provides data on higher player counts. If the reason for the limitation is to rollback a feature while devs fix it/improve it and so the public doesn't it see it in its "broken" state, I get it (a little late for that, IMO)...but 32 players seems a bit conservative.

I'd also like to know if servers will be capped at the goal of 64 players once/if they reach whatever benchmark is needed.

I think more limitations of future planned features is probably the last thing this product could use right now.

This is a test. We start with 32 and see what the performance is and we move on from there. 

Jason

every one make sure you reboot your computer after this update,

another tip, make sure you have admin rights, Make sure you run this in a separate folder not in the programesfiles(x86) folder,

if you do and want to move it into its own stand alone folder away from programfilesx86, just right click in your C:\ directory, make a new folder name it games or what not, then right click on your il2 Stalingrad folder and cut, then go to the other folder and paste, you

will have to make new shortcuts.

Makes sense. Is there any progress with the whole 'CTD in campaign' Jason? I have submitted a ticket to customer support btw as advised by Zak.

Edited by Flack88