=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

Thanks for the comments..

Can't get into the game at the mo as will not run... so can't advise fps.Will make a note next time I get in..if I bother.

Tried assigning keys to joystick, rudder and throttle last night - but the keys will simply not assign and have no flight control on the rare occasion I managed to open the game. Obviuosly the joystick isn't recognised.  

I'm not a programmer and kind of half hoped that when you bought a premium product it would 'plug and play', clearly naive in my expectations.

Not wasting anymore time / money on this apparent lame duck of a pc / game so will quit and saved up for a Cray super 2.   

Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems. You should definitely link up with the Support team: https://il2sturmovik.com/support/request/

IMHO, the problems you're having are a-typical of this experience. Though a flight sim does take a little setup time with regards to key controls, I've been playing this new generation IL-2 with two PCs since the Alpha and never had much trouble. Early on there were the occasional hard crashes but I haven't even seen one of those in over a year.

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forums and thought I would pop in and say hello and wave a little flag for some help.

I love the feeling of flying with a joystick and really want to get into a game that isn't 99% mouse driven.

Over the last month I've pretty much bought everything IL-2, invested in a TrackIR and also a T16000M FCS Hotas and now flying feels great !!

I know I'm still a novice pilot but I've had great fun over the recent weeks learning how to take off, not to stall, target and kill the enemy and land a plane on its belly (landing on its wheels and keeping them intact is still wip) :lol:

I think I'm at the stage of what to do next? I'm currently flying for 10 mins from marker to marker then hitting the (A) at the end of the mission to land which feels a little dull.

I know its a simulation but my ammo seems to be spent in seconds and the combat element seems very short lived?

I haven't tried multiplayer yet but can anyone give me a mode to try that I may be missing? or advise of what route I should turn to next?

I'm so loving the flying I just need some help finding the game?

Cheers,

Bombzey

I think I'm at the stage of what to do next?

Well keep working on landing with wheels, that's always good!

I know its a simulation but my ammo seems to be spent in seconds and the combat element seems very short lived?

The ammo is historical- the planes have accurate number of rounds, and guns shoot at the proper rounds per second. You might just have to get used to firing shorter bursts and being a bit more careful with your aim. This isn't a game where you can take off in quick mission against 8 bombers and kill them all with ammo to spare.

Pilots used to describe their lives as hours of boredom, and moments of abject terror. The majority of this game is flying to and from target or patrolling, only to be thrown into heart pumping action for a few minutes or seconds, and before you know it it's all over - and hopefully you're still flying! In single player, it can be dull, though there are many SP players around. I play multiplayer almost exclusively, and working with others on teamspeak, staying in formation, shooting the shit, make the dull parts almost as much fun as the intense combat.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet but can anyone give me a mode to try that I may be missing? or advise of what route I should turn to next?

So I would recommend trying multiplayer. Wings of Liberty is the most populate and most beginner friendly server, so head there. You can hop on the WoL teamspeak (info in the in-game description) or the BoS Official Teamspeak (info in this thread). Getting on comms with your teammates will not only make the experience more enjoyable, but you'll also learn very quickly from more experienced players.

If you want some quick action and practice dogfighting real opponents, you can try the Berloga dogfight server too. It will start you in the air just a few km from the other side and is usually a crazy mess of a fight. 

In any case, welcome and good luck!

Hey Everyone,

Potential new pilot here. Haven't purchased the game yet but have been entertaining jumping into IL2 for a week or two now. I caught myself watching IL2 crash montages on youtube and that transpired into actually learning what the game was all about. Caught a few videos from Bismarks channel, now I'm seriously considering buying a joystick and DLing the game off steam when I got a few bucks to spare. 

I guess the reason why i'm posting is because I'd like to get a feel for the IL2 community. If I bought the game it would be great to find a few people to fly with. I dont have a strong history with flight sims. I might have taken a few planes down playing windows 98 flight simulator. I was just a kid then! But seeing how articulate this game looks  coupled with my interest in the whole ww2 era got thinking I may really enjoy this game.

I've been doing my research on good starter planes, entertaining which joystick to buy and contemplating whether I'll regret dropping about $70 on this game with stick. Im out here on the US east coast, not sure if my time zone matches up with the more populated European IL2 community that I've read about. The multiplayer seems to be where its at. Maybe theirs a few straggler american players down to team up.

Anyway, I appreciate your time. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Hey Dingus,

Most of us are pretty alright dudes and I'm sure many of us would be happy to fly with you. Europe does have a very large, active community that is generally doing things while us Americans are at work doing the grind but there's also a good amount of regular, active US fliers to populate the servers during our peak game times. Things are always on the up, especially after new patches or content is released.

IL-2 does have a bit of a learning curve and a barrier to entry if you want to get the most out of the sim (a joystick, headtracking and pedals come to mind although you can start out with the basics) but there's nothing you can't learn with a bit of practice and some tutelage from more veteran players.

Dingus and other new players,

If  you like flight sims, the investment will be well worth it! You can easily start out in this game with just a twist stick and a head tracker. There's some pretty cheap and well respected alternatives to Track IR.

As far as the community, it's pretty good. I don't think you can beat joining a specific squadron, but you'd also have fun just flying with the whole community. It's fun chatting on here with these guys and then getting a chance to shoot them down in the game.

They're all also pretty helpful. Having only ever flown normal settings in the old IL-2 quite a time ago, I had a big learning curve in this sim, but everyone was pretty nice about answering all of my dumb questions.

Also, there are some squadrons such as ours that don't mind if you join our TeamSpeak just to hang out and fly with us. We have a few people that aren't in our squadron or are in other squadrons who fly with us pretty regularly. Then there are some people, such as myself who check other team speak channels to fly with other people when we can. I even sometimes just follow other aircraft on MP servers and help them out with no communication.

I hope  you find what you're looking for, and if you ever see me on feel free to wing up with me!

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've got a good feeling I'll grab the game this month. Put some cash to the side. When I do I'll definitely hit you up.

Hello all!, i´m from Buenos Aires, Argentina..

I have been flying flight sims since as i remember... used to fly with squads and everything,  bought il-2 sturmovik 1946..then COD.. and now im giving a chance  to this beautiful sim, just bought BOS
I´m flying with trackir 5, Logitech freedom 2.4 (i use to have a saitek x52) i´ll upgrade to a better joy and a oculus when i can..I can´t wait for the pacific expansion and see this sim at the stage of what Il2 1946 has been.

Cheers!

Edited by -=oTFo=-Gheoss
  • Upvote 2

I have a question about the wobbling issue.

It seems to me that the wobbling is very severe in the 109  and not so in the Russian places such as the Lagg3.

I wonder if I could do sth about it because I just cannot hit anything with the 109 due to the wobbling effect.  :(

My sensibility curve in pitch is 30% right now. Should I increase it or decrease it?  :rolleyes:  I am really lost about this matter. Sorry.

Thanks in advance.

I have a question about the wobbling issue.

It seems to me that the wobbling is very severe in the 109  and not so in the Russian places such as the Lagg3.

I wonder if I could do sth about it because I just cannot hit anything with the 109 due to the wobbling effect.  :(

My sensibility curve in pitch is 30% right now. Should I increase it or decrease it?  :rolleyes:  I am really lost about this matter. Sorry.

Thanks in advance.

I'm convinced wobbling is directly connected with control surface size and plane speed. The faster I go, the more I notice the wobble. I also notice it more in planes with large control surfaces, such as the rudder in the P-40.

The speed, at least, explains why you'd feel it's worse in the 109

Both speed and larger stabilizer surfaces should actually reduce wobble

so idk why they havn't fixed this yet

Hi, New player here. I'm an old time IL2 Sturmovik player. Played since orginal IL2 Demo around 2000 (?) . And played all exspansions since that time, all the way up til IL2 COD. But that game was to unfiniched and i never played it much.

Between then and now, the only "sims" I have played is War Thunder and Rise of Flight. After Reading about the Oculus rift suport soon to come, I thought it was a good time to learn the ropes in this game. I bought an Oculus rift last summer, so realy looking forward to fly IL2 in VR :D

Question about this game, can someone link me to some good info about, radiator, engine RPM and the likes. I like to fly full real, but never came around to use it much in IL2 1946.

(Sorry about my English, I now it's bad ;) )

Do web sites like mission4today have much user made content for singel player?

Hope to see you all in the multiplayer skyes in a bitt :)

Hi, New player here. I'm an old time IL2 Sturmovik player. Played since orginal IL2 Demo around 2000 (?) . And played all exspansions since that time, all the way up til IL2 COD. But that game was to unfiniched and i never played it much.

Between then and now, the only "sims" I have played is War Thunder and Rise of Flight. After Reading about the Oculus rift suport soon to come, I thought it was a good time to learn the ropes in this game. I bought an Oculus rift last summer, so realy looking forward to fly IL2 in VR :D

Question about this game, can someone link me to some good info about, radiator, engine RPM and the likes. I like to fly full real, but never came around to use it much in IL2 1946.

(Sorry about my English, I now it's bad ;) )

Do web sites like mission4today have much user made content for singel player?

Hope to see you all in the multiplayer skyes in a bitt :)

Welcome to the game!

Lots of missions can be found here.

PWCG for "randomly generated" historical wartime missions and campaigns can be found here.

Here are the aircraft specs which can also be found on the mission brief screen which you can see while equipping your plane or hitting "o" once in your plane.

Here is a guide to see what the gauges mean.

The RPM setting in the planes sets the engine at a fixed RPM. When you then increase or decrease throttle, the governor on the engine automatically adjusts the prop pitch to keep the engine at that RPM. So basically, as you increase throttle, the prop wants to spin faster, then the prop pitch changes so it grabs more air keeping the RPM at the set level. This gives you more thrust, while keeping the engine at the operating settings you want it to be in.

The best way to operate planes at first is to look at the specs and fly with settings listed under "Engine Modes" using your gauges. This is the same for radiators and cowl flaps for cooling the engine, as well as other requirements such as which altitude to switch supercharger gear. Radiators and cowl flaps will be more fluid in operation since unlike RPM and Manifold pressure(throttle), you'll be setting those according to your temp gauges, keeping them at ideal temperatures.

Don't worry too much about temperatures. Set your radiators at your best guess then just check them every 30 seconds or so. Its always better to be too cold than hot so that when you get in combat, you can close rads/cowl flaps for more speed without worry of overheat.

Once you have flown using these specs, you'll start to get an idea of what percentages to set your RPM to in each plane. Of course, this is really only necessary for LW bombers and Russian planes as the LW fighters and fighter bomber are mostly all automated, except some radiator controls.

As a quick start checklist for all planes though, you want to first check the keybinds for any plane specific keys. For example, the BF-110 has a different radiator key than other planes.

Once you have all your keys assigned, before take-off always check the following for your plane: Rads/Cowl flaps (sometimes both), RPM, Mixture, wheel brakes, flaps. Make sure each of those are bound properly and you know how to change them and also that they're at take-off settings.

For more details you can check this post about what you need to have assigned to operate any planes, preferably look at my post which is #3

Also, a few tips that will greatly help a new player:

• Bombers and attack planes don't need lots of fuel. Online I generally fly around 30-50% on those. If you select too high of fuel, you'll have a hard time getting off the ground.
  • When diving or dropping altitude, lower radiators/ cowl flaps and throttle back. On some planes you may also need to drop RPM as to not overspeed the engine.
  • The Mig and P-40 don't operate traditionally compared to other planes. If you fly them, check for guides specific to them.
  • In bombers, don't be afraid of climb mode. Just keep an eye on your temp gauges. However, do be worried about emergency mode and combat power. They can damage your engine using them too long without them showing high temps.
  • Axis planes use left/right wheel brakes, whereas VVS use the "wheel brakes" keybind which is one brake button that applies brake to the wheel your rudder is pointing at (except the P-40 which has left/right wheel brakes)

If you have any more questions, I don't mind helping. I can even join you in TeamSpeak to help if you need it :)

Edited by 71st_AH_Scojo

Hey, everyone. 

Back again. Picked up the game recently and a logitech 3d joystick. I think I dialed in my joystick pretty well now. High sens and center dead zone in the 30% range. I really had to deaden my rudder control though because that was terrible sensitive and was throwing me all over the place. I can taxi and take off now, after many failed attempts. Ive learned how throttle can be manipulated in turns to help me turn faster, seems Im not stalling as often. Hell Im even using stalls to get pursuers off my tail.

Thats about all Im capable of when Im joing multiplayer dogfights unfortunately. I can see them, I engage and then all of a sudden someone is on my tail. Ive been watching these pursuers and they seem to follow me flawlessly. Blowing my mind. I dont have a good strategy for engaging targets. Im either coming in too fast or just unable to line myself up for a solid shot. The holographic gun sight does have markings to help allocate distance when taking shots but Im still not familiar with judging shooting distance yet.

I noticed when Im trying to line my shots it helps to push the throttle as far as I can go, this seems to straighten the plane out when im strafing too far off my target. Im managing to get a few hits on friendly planes! Im getting better at identifying the enemy planes but still...! I get excited then boom penalty for friendly fire haha! Thought I was shooting the enemy. damn. This game is definitely pretty difficult. Fun too.

I find if I push the brakes on taxi while turning the rudder gives me control of the individual wheel brakes. its the slash key next to the period and comma, seem to help more with russian planes. German planes operate similarly in the game, still cant make tight turns but as long as I can get to the runway Im okay.

Hey Maximus, good that you found here!

Yes, rudder and brakes is how to make one wheel brake while releasing brake pressure of the other (in most russian planes).

When it comes to deadzones... I wouldn't touch them, play around with sensitivity as much as you want. Deadzones make exact movements around the center next to impossible. Sensitivity on the other hand will only increase output the further you get away from the middle.

Guest deleted@30725

Hey, everyone. 

Thats about all Im capable of when Im joing multiplayer dogfights unfortunately. I can see them, I engage and then all of a sudden someone is on my tail. Ive been watching these pursuers and they seem to follow me flawlessly. Blowing my mind. I dont have a good strategy for engaging targets. Im either coming in too fast or just unable to line myself up for a solid shot. The holographic gun sight does have markings to help allocate distance when taking shots but Im still not familiar with judging shooting distance yet.

Use the quick mission builder to load up a mission with something simple like a bomber, either a group of them or several waves (kill one and another spawns). Set the realism options to unlimited ammo and all the rest how you like. I usually got for more realism options for this training.

Load the mission from either cold start, runway or in the air and go after the target. You probably struggle to get it down initially and may even expend one magazines worth of ammo, but since you've got unlimited you can keep flying. This lesson isn't about taking up unlimited ammo and holding down the trigger in the hopes of downing the plane, it's about flying as if you have limited ammo, learning how to lead at different speeds, but have unlimited for the inevitable run out phase as you miss more shots than you hit.

Once you can down a bomber load a fighter and make sure it has no ammo in the guns! This way you can get used to shooting a smaller target and following a more nimble object. Once you can down this once every 3 or 4 tries without automagically re-loading 20 times it's time to make it live and give it ammo. By this point its probably worth turning off unlimited ammo and you may even want to go online to the noob friendly multiplayer servers or you might want to take one AI flight vs another AI flight (group of planes) and tangle in a swarm.

I'm following a variation of this tutorial myself at the moment because it's been a long time since I played and while I can fly fairly well I find getting guns on target to shoot it down in one pass to be hard at the moment. At least in the early stages with unlimited ammo I can stay in the air while shooting the air, trying to shoot my target. This training also gets you used to looking around for the enemy.

This training is not a chore. It's part of the fun of learning the game and becoming an asset to a multiplayer flight rather than an empty cockpit the moment the flight meets trouble.

One fun thing to do in multiplayer if you happen takeoff with someone, even a random is to practice flying on their wing - just try not to crash into them and if you get good at it they may appreciate the backup.

Don't forget about the campaign either. It's not a bad place to fly and you may even learn something.

Edited by deleted@30725

Hi Guys,

I've been away from IL2 for quite awhile. I remember starting with the original IL2. I was waiting in the store for the first delivery to arrive. I stayed with it and the version that came out up to 46. Lot's of fun and made a bunch of friends. Some of you old timers might remember me?

I got involved with race sims and it took all my sim time since then. I just came back to flight sims and got involved with DCS. I had thought IL2 had faded away. Then I found out different. So, here I am.

I guess I need to start with BOS, so that's my plan. I just bought the TM Warthog controller thinking I was going to fly the A-10C in DCS. My brain hurt trying to remember everything for that plane. Then I bought the P-51 and it felt like home again. I've always like the old stuff. I hunt for elk and bear with an old flintlock muzzleloader, and in race sims I drove the 67 F1 Lotus 49. Old stuff suits me. Since i'm 74 now I guess that fits. :)

• Upvote 2

How do you get the gold plaques under your name to show? I bought BOS and thought it would show automatically. I can't find a way to turn it on.

Edited by BuzzU

Hi BuzzU.

You actually had to buy each of their releases during the 'early access' period, i.e. before the final release date of each one, in order to get the little bars (gold or silver).  So, it's too late to get those now for BOS or BOM, but you can still get one for BOK (Kuban) if you buy that one before they release it, which happens late this year I believe.

Welcome back to IL-2.  I can relate to your affection for 'old stuff,' and I'm a generation behind you!  You will thoroughly enjoy this sim.  The visuals and 'feel of flight' are super.  Be ready for a more challenging learning curve, though.  Takes a bit more time, but well worth the effort.  Have fun!

Ok, thanks. My old system is struggling, so i'm looking to upgrade to a new system. I may disappear for awhile, but i'll be back.

Hello. I bought BoS quite a while ago, and only played for ~2/3 hours after realising that flying without Track IR/VR and using a HAT switch is practically impossible, and that (as a real pilot with 130+ hours) that flying with a stick is extremely sensitive and lifeless compared to flying the real thing, causing me to overshoot and overcorrect for ever movement. Requiring extremely slow and precise movements that both hurt my hand and made it impossible for me to make combat maneuvers in fighters without throwing the plane across the sky or sometimes even into a flatspin.

I saw about over a year ago now iirc that there was WT RB styled mouse-aim, but at the time it was really terrible and acted more like a "point and watch" autopilot than actual mouse control. Have there been any improvements to the mouse aim? I have 1,600+ hours since 2013 in Warthunder(99% in RB) and all I want is a less commercially self-destructive WT alternative that isn't too arcadey nor so realistic it requires 1000s of hours and dollars in learning and equipment just to get "decent" at. Is the mouse aim now like and or possible to set up like WT, and are there any MP servers that run Normal+Mouse aim?

Edited by SlavsWearAdidas

Hello pilots,

Just got this into flying and its looks amazing(VR). I tried to fly in a server, but i can't really see who's who. Is there an easy way to spot who's an ally? How do you guys do that? Is it just the more experienced you are to recognize the soviet/german aircrafts? 

Got a bit confused by all the procedures/preparations before getting off. Since im very new i will take the time to know some basic things and try to map the important buttons to the stick. I'm still not sure if i done it correctly. Using a TM.16000 stick only. 

Started to do some campaigns(to unlock some planes), but i can't see really what i've already done and what missions aren't done. I got the start edition(with only 2 planes). I hope i can see what i have done already.

Last question, there are several versions. Too bad i got the version with only 2 planes.

One is the standard version/6 planes ,standard/2 planes and the premium. I only see the difference is the premium got 2 more planes. When getting the standard version/6 planes and getting the 2 collectors items - some guys saying the version upgrades to premium? Else where i read that wasn't possible. Little confused here! Is it possible for me to get standard version for steam and link this to my account? Sorry for all the question!

Thanks for your time and taking time to give me some advise!

Don

Is there an easy way to spot who's an ally? How do you guys do that? Is it just the more experienced you are to recognize the soviet/german aircrafts?

Is it possible for me to get standard version for steam and link this to my account?

Unfortunately, it just comes with experience. Most notable identifiers for me are top down wing shape, side view tail and nose shapes. If you're directly behind a fighter, look for radiator placement.

If you purchase on steam, you can get the key and enter it in under your profile on the IL-2 website.

• Upvote 1

Hello. I bought BoS quite a while ago, and only played for ~2/3 hours after realising that flying without Track IR/VR and using a HAT switch is practically impossible, and that (as a real pilot with 130+ hours) that flying with a stick is extremely sensitive and lifeless compared to flying the real thing, causing me to overshoot and overcorrect for ever movement. Requiring extremely slow and precise movements that both hurt my hand and made it impossible for me to make combat maneuvers in fighters without throwing the plane across the sky or sometimes even into a flatspin.

To me it looks as though you just need to adjust your sensitivity settings on the joystick, I know at one point we all suffered from over- sensitive flight controls,

Unfortunately, it just comes with experience. Most notable identifiers for me are top down wing shape, side view tail and nose shapes. If you're directly behind a fighter, look for radiator placement.

If you purchase on steam, you can get the key and enter it in under your profile on the IL-2 website.

Thanks so much Scojo!!

• Upvote 1

-snip-

Have there been any improvements to the mouse aim?

-snip-

Yup, it's called a joystick. You can purchase one for less than 100USD.

If flying a flight simulator with a joystick is too much of a bother continuing down the WT path may be the best one.

• Upvote 3

Guest deleted@30725

One is the standard version/6 planes ,standard/2 planes and the premium. I only see the difference is the premium got 2 more planes. When getting the standard version/6 planes and getting the 2 collectors items - some guys saying the version upgrades to premium? Else where i read that wasn't possible. Little confused here! Is it possible for me to get standard version for steam and link this to my account? Sorry for all the question!

From steam and https://il2sturmovik.com/ is just 2 versions.

Standard - 8 planes

Premium - 10 planes

Premium planes can be purchased separately if you buy standard edition. You can't 'upgrade' to premium edition if you buy standard.

I think the 2 plane locked version is sold on discount key websites posing as the unlocked version and in Russia for a cheaper price.

When you buy game from steam it gets you to make an account on https://il2sturmovik.com/ where you enter your steam key.

Edited by deleted@30725

You can't 'upgrade' to premium edition if you buy standard.

In fact you can: just buy the 2 collector planes and you are automatically in the premium Edition.

• Upvote 2

To answer the guy above: It should be working!

Thanks for all the help again.

I'v another question. Sometimes i just don't know what to destroy when i'm flying with a few bombs?

Is there any sheet where i can see all the ground objects in a file like the cockpit at a glance topic Lodebeard has made. 
Tried to search for it, but can't really find it! Thanks in advance!

Hi all -

Got the sim on Friday and spent time in it over the weekend - actually not much because my Warthog programming wasn't working.  Got that done but ran into an oddity a couple of times now and wanted to ask: 

Eject is mapped to 'L_Ctrl - E' but isn't doing anything after I crash land.  I've had it happen twice: canopy opens but I just keep sitting there.  I'd be surprised if the sim "modeled" me potentially braking my leg during the crash, so what's the deal?

Thx,

Mike

Eject is mapped to 'L_Ctrl - E' but isn't doing anything after I crash land.

Welcome! To answer your question:

Eject is meant for when you're still in flight. Once you land, whether crash land or not, there is no exiting the aircraft.

Hope you're enjoying the sim so far!

Welcome! To answer your question:

Eject is meant for when you're still in flight. Once you land, whether crash land or not, there is no exiting the aircraft.

Hope you're enjoying the sim so far!

Well, that explains why it wouldn't work :D

Still knocking the rust off of my experiences with IL2:1946 and previous titles.  Without a doubt, they've a fantastic job graphically.  I'm about ready to take the dive into complex engine management and see how that goes.

One more question: a friend made me aware of the aiming assist (R_Alt-i) but that doesn't seem to be working either?  Am I missing something there too?

One more question: a friend made me aware of the aiming assist (R_Alt-i) but that doesn't seem to be working either?  Am I missing something there too?

As of 2.010, the HUD has to be active in order for aiming assist marker to work.

I hope they change that in a future update, previously it did not...

• Upvote 1

Am i doing something wrong when i'm here around for 2 months and never killed a plane yet:)

Am i doing something wrong when i'm here around for 2 months and never killed a plane yet:)

Nope. You're right on track  :biggrin: (assuming you mean MP). 

• Upvote 1

oh well yes, in MP.. my buddies already have some, but its probably because they just shoot everyone... i can spot the planes, but never know if its an enemy and when i know it..i'm smoking hahaha

Edited by Don2one