=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

Its probably because the IL2's didn't have rear gunners. Its the default config of the plane, rear gunner is a mod..so no worries attacking them in single player.

Ah, that was quite surprising, so it made me do a bit of wiki-reading. And you're right, to prolonge the maximum range they actually removed the gunner on early models.

So... Horrido!  :cool:

Will try to tweak the Expert settings later...

Thank you!

:salute:

Not all Il2 have gunners but some do, even in campaign. So watch out

Copy.

One more question:

There's no date like in the RoF Career. Days were passing one after another and who cares how many did I shoot down - the time goes forward and the war will finish on armistice day. Period.

From what I think, the Career in BoS is very different and kind of non-linear. I select a mission, finish it, select another etc... When I reach some point (dunno, certain amount of EXP?), I'll unlock the next "stage" and can move on. But theoretically I'm not forced to do so and I can happily fly 1.000.000 missions in the first stage. Is that correct?

Perhaps the rear gunners on IL2 will come as I advance to the next stage... ?

But theoretically I'm not forced to do so and I can happily fly 1.000.000 missions in the first stage. Is that correct?

Correct, you can fly as many missions as you want in any stage of the campaigns. 

Sorry if this is a weird question, but I'm stumped and not sure how to proceed.  I've just purchased both the premium edition BoS and the premium BoM.  However, I can only find a link to download the installer for BoM.  Doesn't BoS have to be installed first?  I understood that BoM is DLC.  And, if I do finally find and download the installer for BoS, do I install BoM into the same folder?  They do run together, right, like Pacific Fighters, Ace Expansion, and all the other wonderful updates to the original IL2 Sturmovik?  Thanks in advance for any and all help.  I've been flying IL2 since the very first version, including (so far) 4.13.2 1946, CLoD, and now BoS and BoM.  I cannot WAIT to get in the air in a great looking MiG-3!

Sorry if this is a weird question, but I'm stumped and not sure how to proceed.  I've just purchased both the premium edition BoS and the premium BoM.  However, I can only find a link to download the installer for BoM.  Doesn't BoS have to be installed first?  I understood that BoM is DLC.  And, if I do finally find and download the installer for BoS, do I install BoM into the same folder?  They do run together, right, like Pacific Fighters, Ace Expansion, and all the other wonderful updates to the original IL2 Sturmovik?  Thanks in advance for any and all help.  I've been flying IL2 since the very first version, including (so far) 4.13.2 1946, CLoD, and now BoS and BoM.  I cannot WAIT to get in the air in a great looking MiG-3!

Purchased on IL2 site? in that case they are separate games but work  together, meaning BOM is not a DLC.

If you activate the keys on your profile you should be able to access both games from one install. Try installing BOM and then check if both BOS and BOM are in the game.

If you purchased on Steam you have to buy BOS and then BOM as a DLC. They did it this way on Steam to keep the game as one and not as multiple games in your library.

Jade Monkey,

Thanks for such a quick response.  I kinda figured that may be the way to go.  I'm going to go download the BoM installer right now.  My version was bought here, not from Steam.  I wanted to support the publishers that little bit more.

Tim

EDIT: That didn't work.  It's only trying to download BoM... which I don't want to do until after I get BoS installed, right?  Anyone got the link for BoS?

Edited by Aardvark892

Jade Monkey,

Thanks for such a quick response.  I kinda figured that may be the way to go.  I'm going to go download the BoM installer right now.  My version was bought here, not from Steam.  I wanted to support the publishers that little bit more.

Tim

EDIT: That didn't work.  It's only trying to download BoM... which I don't want to do until after I get BoS installed, right?  Anyone got the link for BoS?

They both run via the same launcher. They decided to make BoM on Steam DLC because reasons.

Jade Monkey,

Thanks for such a quick response. I kinda figured that may be the way to go. I'm going to go download the BoM installer right now. My version was bought here, not from Steam. I wanted to support the publishers that little bit more.

Tim

EDIT: That didn't work. It's only trying to download BoM... which I don't want to do until after I get BoS installed, right? Anyone got the link for BoS?

Install BOM and log into the game. You will probably have both in there.

Thanks again for both responses.  I'm off to install it now, and I'll report here if it worked!  Just as a note, I'm not using the Steam edition.  Don't know if that makes a difference here.

Edited by Aardvark892

So far a lot of helpful information in this thread. For a complete n00b like myself, this will surely save me a lot of heartache in the beginning. Thank you for all the veterans and your helpful advice.

How to unlock aircraft? My friend only has the starter version and he's trying to unlock the Pe2, how long does he have to play in order unlock it?

How to unlock aircraft? My friend only has the starter version and he's trying to unlock the Pe2, how long does he have to play in order unlock it?

Almost all of us have the Standard or Premium versions of the game so never "unlocked" planes.

The time it would take your friend would depend on how quick he/she can learn to fly successfully in the mission types chosen. Successful missions = experience = unlocks.

Crash and burn = 0 Exp. It's a how long is a piece of string question.

Buy the game from the official site or via steam and you would have the standard version at a minimum, and unlocks wouldn't be a requirement.

When you look at the unlocks on certain planes, you'll have some that will unlock others. I think the LaGG unlocks the IL-2 which then unlocks the Pe-2.

Sorry if this has been asked but I currently have BOS installed on steam, if I purchase BOM from the site (to maximize revenue for the team) will it show up in the steam under dlc or will they give me a steam key in my profile that I will need to enter?

Sorry if this has been asked but I currently have BOS installed on steam, if I purchase BOM from the site (to maximize revenue for the team) will it show up in the steam under dlc or will they give me a steam key in my profile that I will need to enter?

Neither of those. For that you would have to purchase directly from steam.

However since you have to log in when you launch the game, it will know that you own BOM if you bought it on the official website and activated the key.

So it wont show up as owned on steam, but once you launch BOS the BOM content will also be there.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

Thanks guys, I will check all the links this weekend and come up with questions should I have any.

Last Saturday I joined mp server for the first time. I jumped in as a gunner on bf110 hoping for some quick action before going to bed. Well my wish came through as the moment later two russian fighters were diving on our 6 and all I managed was a short squeez on the trigger before I got killed.

Lesson 1 learned: Be careful what you wish for.

I dont consider myself as a new pilot but...is there any coop missions in this game where i could play with my friend against AI? Couldnt find any in the mission making and mission editor section.

I dont consider myself as a new pilot but...is there any coop missions in this game where i could play with my friend against AI? Couldnt find any in the mission making and mission editor section.

No coop yet. It is coming though.

Hi all,

I'll be reading Chucks startup guide as soon as I can.

Always enjoyed flying games, but new to the hardcore sim scene. I've been playing some 1946, and CloD, and enjoying them, but also having difficulty grasping how to do complex engine management and in what situations to do what. I am also looking at picking up BoS. (Where are you steam sale!)

I admit, I feel very intimidated by the complex engine management, and the fact I do not own a TackIR. I am currently using  a thrustmaster HOTAS X, and using the hat switch to look around. It's hard to keep focused on targets this way while turning and swooping around.

How essential is it I get a trackIR to play this game well? I want to bite the bullet and buy this game, but am hesitant. Money is also a factor. A trackIR is very expensive.

Any tips on tracking your your targets and spotting targets using hat switches would be welcome. Also, is my thrustmaster X good enough for this game?

There are cheaper alternatives like freetrack that could fit your needs. Check them out before you commit to TIR.

However, if you go with TIR you wont regret it.

I've been watching IL2 bos on YouTube for a few months now and finally bit the bullet and splashed some  cash a bought it in the last sale.

I'm very new to full on flight sims and spend most of my time in the single person campaigns crashing lol.

But what I'm most impressed with is the people on the forum as they come across friendly ,helpful and polite a rare  thing these days

Bought BOS back in the beginning and now bought BOK. Going to get back in it and going to support because missing the flying in the community and squad flying missions. Have been flying DCS since I left the old Il2 1946 and waiting to see what the Normandy map will bring but BOS has more Multiplayer aspects that are attracting me. With the old IL2 coop coming, the servers hosting the campaigns, coordinated missions and the Pacific coming to a theatre near you, well that did it for me.

I am not a Lone Wolfer and like to fly missions like it is as real life the best you can.  Completing mission and coming back alive with your flight is top priority. 

We shall see how many more of my squad will follow suit.

Old man here refusing to grow older gracefully. Long time flight sim fan, Il2 1946, Rise of Flight and Cliffs of Dover included. I have been looking at BoS enviously for quite a while, finally splashed out and upgraded my computer to over the recommended specs for running it. There is a Steam sale starting December 22nd so I will buy it from there and I have been looking through the guides for buying from Steam and getting the Activation Key from here. Must admit to my old head it looks a little complicated so any encouraging words would be appreciated. Anyway, glad to finally be aboard here and looking forward to playing what looks to be a great flight sim.

Old man here refusing to grow older gracefully. Long time flight sim fan, Il2 1946, Rise of Flight and Cliffs of Dover included. I have been looking at BoS enviously for quite a while, finally splashed out and upgraded my computer to over the recommended specs for running it. There is a Steam sale starting December 22nd so I will buy it from there and I have been looking through the guides for buying from Steam and getting the Activation Key from here. Must admit to my old head it looks a little complicated so any encouraging words would be appreciated. Anyway, glad to finally be aboard here and looking forward to playing what looks to be a great flight sim.

When you buy from the website, you can log in here.  

After logging in, in the upper right corner click on "Profile".

There will be a bar titled "License Keys".  Copy and paste whatever key you need.

Go to steam and click on the "Games" menu and there will be a bar that says "Activate a Product on Steam" click on that.

Then paste the key that you copied from the IL-2 website.

PM me if you have any questions.

I had some spare cash and dove right in by buying both BOS and BOM. Frankly, I was terrified over learning the start up procedures for the F4, but have found that pretty much everything is taken care of for you which suits me just fine. Landing is another story all together. I always end up doing the scene in the movie Battle of Britain where the noob RAF pilot does the old bump-sa-daisy landing. My fricking prop always bends. I'm afraid to hamfist it down because I think I'll break the fragile under carriage.

The second thing is getting lost on the map. Granted I just started playing the game, but jeesh I'm flying for less then 3 minutes away from the airfield and I'm hopelessly lost. Do certain servers allow map usage? I know for a fact German pilots had knee maps.

Regards....

Edited by Baer

use 'O' to bring up large map, use wing autolevel while looking, this available in all servers

for landing use power to control height and 'attitude' to control speed on approach, make sure you are trimmed nicely and it i possible to do a steady, stable approach almost hands off  :cool:

there are a few good threads and tutorials/vids in here

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/82-manuals-tutorials-guides-and-tips/

Cheers Dakpilot

Hello everyone 'S'

Not sure where to post but this seems as good a place as any for some quick fire help.

Can anyone of you helpful folks point me to links regarding the;

109's, essential flight controls/op controls/cmbt controls etc.

Multiplayer servers, I see there are a few, is there a main or preferred server or different game types, on the server list I looked at I could not tell.?

I have spent a lot of time with IL2 in years gone by, and more recently so with Clod flying 109's.

As all sims or games are different, I just would appreciate some help to get up to speed with BOS/BOM necessities for this airframe which I have only recently purchased and lack understanding of.

Many thanks

V

Edited by Vlerkies

Check out the Manuals, Tutorials,and Guides forum....you will find the Il2 manual and chuck owls guide.  this should give you the starting info you are looking for.   As for MP there are both normal and expert servers....chose your poison.  You might want to check out PWCG...it is SP but will give you some idea what to expect on MP....you will not be flying against humans but it will help you get accumulated to the sim....also scan the forum there is a look of good information there.....good luck...  

• Upvote 1

Hi Cathaoir,

Thx, strictly mp for me and expert servers would be my poison.

I suppose your answer then correctly direct me more to discussions about flying the 109 correctly in combat.

I will dial in the controls quickly no probs, thx.

In the clod forums theres a lot of talk around how best to effectively fly and fight whatever plane, will go on a search here. Its more about engine management in combat

thx

V

Edited by Vlerkies

For MP expert servers, you'll want to start with Wings of Liberty. Expert settings with nav icons. It's the most populated server. After that, you can check out Tactical Air War or Random Expert+ servers which have a bit more strategy and are better with a group (I think ATAG is the closest CloD equivalent? I've never played CloD tho so idk). Also, for dogfight practice check out Berloga.

As far as controls, the 109s are pretty simple. Throttle and horizontal stabilizer is all you need really, except on the E7 where radiators are manual.

For tactics, read through the forums, lots of info. Plus the guide mentioned above. And then when you've flown for a bit and have thoughts/questions, just post a topic with them here and folks can give more specific answers.

Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions! It's a pretty friendly community as long as you don't bring up the 190 or the P-40 FM ;)

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr
  • Upvote 1

For MP some of the expert servers have very specific methods and rules

best to have a look at their relevant stickied threads in here

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/83-multiplayer-servers-and-hosting/

In game if you are at aircraft set-up page click on specs tab to get engine settings and limitations

The manual can also be downloaded from 'Manuals section"

Also worth looking here

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/62-3rd-party-apps-utilities-tools-and-other-content/

For downloadable maps and map 'apps' and other goodies 

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

New players can check out the IL-2 Wiki. It's still pretty immature but hopefully will continue to get better and more useful with the help of the community.

• Upvote 1

Hi, just signing in after purchasing B.o.M. on-line this week (I'm an Ex-Ubisoft IL2 user and so looking forward to this), was on DCS A-10 but needed a break from the flight manual (!)...tried World of Warplanes but too many toxic children and hacks on there. 

Have joined the B.o.M learning curve:- 

Uploaded couldn't open 'start' page as frame rate impossibly slow and very laggy mouse.

Read the forum messages re these problems (standard it seems) and tried lowest resolution, turned off 'cinema' etc ...a bit better but mouse problems persist, (now laggy and over sensitive) dialled back the mouse a bit, and retrained brain, and it works well enough to get into mission. I'm now trying higher resolutions but have hit frame rate 'stutter' so will dial back a bit to find best resolution / frame rate.

Joystick (Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog) doesn't function as yet - axis settings won't log correctly and movements not fully recognised in pitch or roll (firing trigger works!), will change USB ports for joystick over weekend and if that works will add throttle (and key bindings), rudder pedals etc. Keyboard works OK. 

Wondered about PC (desktop) specs but seem OK compared to game specs (Intel Core i5-4460 CPU@3.20ghz. 8 GB RAM 64 bit op system) but not sure if game card up to it (Nvidia geForce GT705)

First impressions (as I rapidly flicked to starboard and dived into the ground) was that the (fleeting) scenery (tree branches etc) were superbly rendered.    

Will update if anything more serious occurs but it just seems to me to be 'out of the box' tweaking needed and silly things like making sure the pen is off the Wacom tablet and that it's also unplugged..

Hi, just signing in after purchasing B.o.M. on-line this week (I'm an Ex-Ubisoft IL2 user and so looking forward to this), was on DCS A-10 but needed a break from the flight manual (!)...tried World of Warplanes but too many toxic children and hacks on there. 

Have joined the B.o.M learning curve:- 

Uploaded couldn't open 'start' page as frame rate impossibly slow and very laggy mouse.

Read the forum messages re these problems (standard it seems) and tried lowest resolution, turned off 'cinema' etc ...a bit better but mouse problems persist, (now laggy and over sensitive) dialled back the mouse a bit, and retrained brain, and it works well enough to get into mission. I'm now trying higher resolutions but have hit frame rate 'stutter' so will dial back a bit to find best resolution / frame rate.

Joystick (Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog) doesn't function as yet - axis settings won't log correctly and movements not fully recognised in pitch or roll (firing trigger works!), will change USB ports for joystick over weekend and if that works will add throttle (and key bindings), rudder pedals etc. Keyboard works OK. 

Wondered about PC (desktop) specs but seem OK compared to game specs (Intel Core i5-4460 CPU@3.20ghz. 8 GB RAM 64 bit op system) but not sure if game card up to it (Nvidia geForce GT705)

First impressions (as I rapidly flicked to starboard and dived into the ground) was that the (fleeting) scenery (tree branches etc) were superbly rendered.    

Will update if anything more serious occurs but it just seems to me to be 'out of the box' tweaking needed and silly things like making sure the pen is off the Wacom tablet and that it's also unplugged..

Hi,

What do you mean with low FPS? Like sub 30, or even far lower? And what version of Windows are you using? All in all i think the GPU is on the weak side. The minimal requirements state a GTX660, and i think that one is quiet a bit faster. 

Grt M

I woyld put my hand in the fire that your GPU is the culprit for most performance issues. The GT 705 is simply not up to the task.

However its a known issue that the main menu takes a heavy toll on performance. What is your in flight FPS?

Thanks for the comments..

Can't get into the game at the mo as will not run... so can't advise fps.Will make a note next time I get in..if I bother.

Tried assigning keys to joystick, rudder and throttle last night - but the keys will simply not assign and have no flight control on the rare occasion I managed to open the game. Obviuosly the joystick isn't recognised.  

I'm not a programmer and kind of half hoped that when you bought a premium product it would 'plug and play', clearly naive in my expectations.

Not wasting anymore time / money on this apparent lame duck of a pc / game so will quit and saved up for a Cray super 2.