=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

Welcome to the new players. Here is a handy start guide on Youtube. Turn on the captions to see what to do. It will get you ready and flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGFcIjdV4k

Also, look at these excellent player-made aircraft guides. Created by 71st_AH_Chuck.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/?do=findComment&comment=157599

Edited by FlatSpinMan
FSM: Trying to get as much key stuff up front as I can.
  • Upvote 9

Also: It is perfectly fine to ask a lot of questions, even on very basic stuff like how to get certain controls to work, us 'old folks' will be glad to help.

However: When creating a thread asking questions, think about how you name that thread. If you simply call it "I have [X nr] of questions pls" then other people have no idea what it's about. Instead make the name of the thread reflect the nature of your questions like "How to make trim work on German planes?" etc. That way you're helping other newcomers find their answers easily, and we avoid having dozens of threads answering the same questions.

Thanks in advance and welcome to BoS. It's great to have you on board. :)

• Upvote 5

Welcome and thanks for supporting BOS!  A rising tide (of buyers) lifts all ships which means a healthier game developer 777 / more planes / more theaters of war / and stronger CFS gaming category!  

My personal suggestions...

-Get TrackIR.  Just get it!

-Get a good joystick.  Mine's a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X, on Amazon for $28.00 U.S.  You can pay a lot more but I really like mine.  It's pretty much a must.

-Get a decent video card.  Kind of optional but if you can manage it you'll be happier in the long run.

-Intall Sweet FX and Flight FX.  IMHO they make a huge difference to the look of the game.

-Start, play and enjoy ... often.

• Upvote 1

Once the game is out, we can start to make a guide like nugget's one and sturmovik essentials like the in the 1946 thread. That thread really helped me sort out IL2 original.

basics of flight

http://www.aviastar.org/theory/basics_of_flight/index.html

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/learn-to-fly/?page=3

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/learn-to-fly/?page=4

Controls: don't mess with keyboard or game pads. 

Having a joystick is crucial.  I like http://www.chproducts.com/13-28464-Home.php  but there are other good ones

Other options include pedals and throttle

Track IR / Track IR substitutes are good. I've heard of people using gamer key pads like razer nostromo or logitech g-13 / or even a mmo gaming mouse with lots of buttons like a logitech g600 to use buttons for scanning in lieu of track IR / throttle / pedals. The game pads even have scripts to auto press buttons (like one can program in a quick start for engines or to scan the skies) or keys binded to game functions. 

Personally, I think they can help out a joystick only user, but its about preference. I prefer the HOTAs with rudder pedals, because sometimes scrips will hang and knowing how to fly with just the controls is easier in the long run for me. 

I prefer the track IR and manually hitting buttons to start the engines. 

A good desk / set up with monitors. Also having a good layout of keyboard / mouse, HOTAS., pedals on the desk to best facilitate your virtual flying. And a chair. Having a comfy chair helps for "long missions" and your back will thank you. 

Ergonomics helps in the long run, especially if you play a few hours a day . . .

http://www.a-opc.com/image/data/seatting0.jpg

Dual monitors helps, not a must, but a big help. For monitors there's alot of details . . . but you'll want a 120 Hz or higher refresh rate, and something 5ms or lower (reaction time for pixels to change colors, the industry standard is black to white to black or vice versa, and gray to gray). 

Remember a monitor can say its 120 Hz but the windows or video card driver may default to 60 Hz, so you'll have to change it there. 

If you can get flat screen CRTs (pretty rare but I know some gamers that still use their 25" CRT sony trinitrons) they are better for quality and speed, but calibrating is lot of work (LCD are more plug and play) for you machine's video card. 

computer related stuff: 

One thing about PC's is the PSU (power supply unit). It's like the heart of PC. Alot of PC upgrades or builds w/out updating the PSU usually has weird issues like crashes / sometimes it powers on, and sometimes it doesn't . . . or get beeps upon powering on . . . Certain sites have PSU calculator (based off parts you have). 

Get a decent video card.  Video cards, make sure your system can handle it, and that your power supply has the matching power chords if the card needs additional juice. 

Get a decent sound card. People definitely want to hear the merlin roar or the db-605 rumble.

And for OS and programs (including IL-2) get a SSD. You can use a standard spinner drive for data, but the SSD helps speed things up (even if more expensive). I'd a say 128 GB is on the small side, but 256 GB is better.

About pirated OS's. Hackers like to leave their mark . . .so when using cracked or pirated software, there's a good chance you'll have a "surprise" in it. Even hackers use a legit OS to start from (or one that isn't modified and fix for their own use). I've noticed pirated OS having issues that legit ones don't. 

Another thing is decent internet connection, get the mid range from your provider (here in the US they usually have 3-5 Mb/s, then 10-20, 40-60 is highest). Some even offer 70-100 Mb/s. Get the highest you can afford, and stay away from low speeds, go for mid or high. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/build-your-own/

www.sevenforums.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html   august 14

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7888/best-video-cards-march-2014  march 2014

Even if you don't mod your PC, its good to read up on it, just so some computer dude doesn't pull a fast one on you.

Edited by hiro
  • Upvote 2

Time to dust off my SW2 lol

Hi guys, thanks a lot for all the great infos!

I'm new in the game and i want to ask is there some kind of aiming tutorial.. Would be really useful for me because i still can't hit enemy planes while doing a tight turn.

Anyone? Thanks again! 

Welcome and thanks for supporting BOS!  A rising tide (of buyers) lifts all ships which means a healthier game developer 777 / more planes / more theaters of war / and stronger CFS gaming category!  

My personal suggestions...

-Get TrackIR.  Just get it!

-Get a good joystick.  Mine's a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X, on Amazon for $28.00 U.S.  You can pay a lot more but I really like mine.  It's pretty much a must.

-Get a decent video card.  Kind of optional but if you can manage it you'll be happier in the long run.

-Intall Sweet FX and Flight FX.  IMHO they make a huge difference to the look of the game.

-Start, play and enjoy ... often.

What does Sweet FX and Flight FX do?

Why can't i play the second part of the first mission in the campaign it's saying i need the 23mm VYa-23gun and that i don't have it. How do i get it? 

Please help i really want to play it i've been waiting a long time for this.

Thanks.

1./JG76Trevyzero

The bug has been reported, and responded to and a fix promised for later this week (maybe Tuesday)

I don't know why the above poster would want to give false information as to being only addressed in one month..perhaps his idea of a bad joke..

Cheers Dakpilot

Hello to all. Thanks for the above links etc..  I have finally decided to buy this product. After many happy hours flying in ROF I am confident of a great community and some great support from the team.

Ian

Hello to all. Thanks for the above links etc.. I have finally decided to buy this product. After many happy hours flying in ROF I am confident of a great community and some great support from the team.

Ian

You wont be disappointed. I spent 5 hours on it this afternoon and it seemed like 1. Edited by pilotpierre

Some lovely cinematics. I must say I love the Search Lights adds real atmosphere!

Ian

Terribly sorry but I lost my PC recently and am restarting everything from scratch. My link to the game download is lost in an email inbox that I dread to potter around in for a number of reasons. Was just wondering if someone could be nice enough and help me out with a quick link to the download page, please. Very grateful in advance.

Pirabee.

I purchased Battle of Stalingrad when development was announced about a year ago at $48, $10 less then when final general sales would be announced. I have not gotten an EMail or instruction of how or were I can download the game from 1C, 777 studios. Steam simple allows purchase at $59. Any ideas how I download the game or contact someone who can tell me?

Thanks, Ken Todack

I purchased Battle of Stalingrad when development was announced about a year ago at $48, $10 less then when final general sales would be announced. I have not gotten an EMail or instruction of how or were I can download the game from 1C, 777 studios. Steam simple allows purchase at $59. Any ideas how I download the game or contact someone who can tell me?

Thanks, Ken Todack

Go to the home page of this website and click on Profile on the top right. Select download from the red buttons on the right.

Hello--

Have downloaded BOS but can't get it to do anything after hitting PLAY. The launcher quits to a black screen without any specific reason given. I run as administrater and have unchecked the read only properties in the app folders. Not sure what the reference is to having ports 80 and 443 open or how to check. Any help is great, would really like to start flying.

Thanks, Ken

I'm afraid I don't know - please contact customer support but also read here which address that:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/5321-

Unfortunately I am too technically illiterate to understand what they mean (or how to fix it) but there are STACKS of clever people here who may well know the answer.

Hello fellow Pilots,  Happy Thursday Evening to all.  

I have just signed up to your fantastic forum's,  fantastic place loads of great info and tips.    Bought and installed BOS through Steam,  Just finding my way around the keyboard and Sim.  I have purchased the Premium Planes and look forward to plenty of good old battles 

Welcome to all the new pilots since I last visited this thread.

Hope you all enjoy this Game/Sim.

Its still growing and due soon for a big update.

Some in The community are holding their breath for new stuff, me included.

The new stuff? Will all of the upcoming new planes/maps info be in the "new release" section of the forums? Or is there one place that everybody goes to get the latest release info? I didn't really venture outside this thread yet with the fear of getting lost:)

The new stuff? Will all of the upcoming new planes/maps info be in the "new release" section of the forums? Or is there one place that everybody goes to get the latest release info? I didn't really venture outside this thread yet with the fear of getting lost:)

LOL

If you bought on Steam Poppet,  it will automatically update

New stuff in Zaks update in Developer diary.... Enjoy.

Edited by voncrapenhauser
  • Upvote 1

LOL

If you bought on Steam Poppet,  it will automatically update

New stuff in Zaks update in Developer diary.... Enjoy.

I found Zaks Developer's Diary,  Great stuff all the information in one spot.  Thank you Voncrapenhauser   :)

Just wondering could someone point me in the right direction.  Is there a tutorial that could show me how to start the FW 190 or any other of the planes.  I have looked on youtub but could not find any.

Any help would be great 

Just wondering could someone point me in the right direction.  Is there a tutorial that could show me how to start the FW 190 or any other of the planes.  I have looked on youtub but could not find any.
Any help would be great 

There are no click-able cockpits, so all you need to do is press "e" to start the engine. 

From there, unlock the tail wheel , throttle up gently (in the Bf 109 up to 1500 rpm, I'd imagine in the 190 it's a bit higher) and use wheel brakes and rudder to taxi. In the 190, you pull the stick back to lock the tailwheel, there's no key command. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

There are no click-able cockpits, so all you need to do is press "e" to start the engine. 

From there, unlock the tail wheel , throttle up gently (in the Bf 109 up to 1500 rpm, I'd imagine in the 190 it's a bit higher) and use wheel brakes and rudder to taxi. In the 190, you pull the stick back to lock the tailwheel, there's no key command. Good luck!

Ok perfect,  thank you 19te.Leaf

• Upvote 1

Until now I´ve almost exclusively flown german planes in my BoS time.

But as I´d also like to get into the allied fighters a bit more and join in online games. So I´m asking myself which of the 3 fighters would be good to start with?

Any advice on that or do you think it wouldn´t matter?