=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

It does mean salute and is usually printed ~S

I have also seen:

• ~S~
  • S!
  • o7
  • ))  [not 100% sure if this means salute, but I see a lot of Russian players doing it in situations where you would think a salute was warranted]

So, there are probably more variations, but these are the most common.

) (or )))))))))))) is really just the Russian variation of :) with no salute or anything involved.

Don't ask me where the eyes went.

Hello, I used to be skinner in the IL2 community up until around 2008-ish with IL2:1946 and I'm slowly trying to figure out the current community and thought I'd say "Hey".

~S~

Edited by Nightshifter
  • Upvote 2

Hi Nightshifter.  I remember your skins well.  I think I've still got some in my current version of Il-2 1946 for that matter.  Nice to see you back!

Hello guys  :)

I used to play War Thunder a lot, but i got totally fed up with it (toxic kiddies everywhere, star trek like physics etc.) I bought my copy of IL-2 BOS yesterday. I was really looking forward to play it, i knew it will be hard to fly those planes properly, but i didn´t think it will be so hard. I have those major problems:

1) Taking off - i set the flaps (round 40%), i set throttle to 33%, plane moves like it should. But i dont know how to perform the final part, taking off itself. When i have speed around 130 km/h, i push the joystick to me. The plane takes off, but it rolls over to the left side and smashes on the ground, that is a bit frustrating... (BF 109 G2, F4)

2) Flying in the straight line - when i try to fly in a straight line, the plane waves and does those chaotic moves to all the sides ( BF 109 G2, F4)

3) Dogfight and aiming - i am not able to get enemy plane into my crosshair  :) and i dont know how to turn properly (the plane loses speed and falls down in a spiral) (BF 109 G2,F4)  :biggrin:

I will be grateful for any advice how to improve. I would really like to learn how to play this game.  :)

Edited by Ropalcz

Hello guys  :)

I used to play War Thunder a lot, but i got totally fed up with it (toxic kiddies everywhere, star trek like physics etc.) I bought my copy of IL-2 BOS yesterday. I was really looking forward to play it, i knew it will be hard to fly those planes properly, but i didn´t think it will be so hard. I have those major problems:

1) Taking off - i set the flaps (round 40%), i set throttle to 33%, plane moves like it should. But i dont know how to perform the final part, taking off itself. When i have speed around 130 km/h, i push the joystick to me. The plane takes off, but it rolls over to the left side and smashes on the ground, that is a bit frustrating... (BF 109 G2, F4)

2) Flying in the straight line - when i try to fly in a straight line, the plane waves and does those chaotic moves to all the sides ( BF 109 G2, F4)

3) Dogfight and aiming - i am not able to get enemy plane into my crosshair  :) and i dont know how to turn properly (the plane loses speed and falls down in a spiral) (BF 109 G2,F4)  :biggrin:

I will be grateful for any advice how to improve. I would really like to learn how to play this game.  :)S~!

S~! Roplalcz

Welcome to the wonderful world of IL2!

First of all, on take-off its best to use full power, unless specified otherwise.   What it sounds like is that you're stalling before you even get off the ground.  Full power and no flaps should be fine.

With the aircraft waving and chaotic moves, try adjusting your sensitivity on your joystick in game.  I used to have the same issues until I figured that out.  There should be postings somewhere in the forums about best settings.

In turns, if you're bleeding off speed to fast you may be turning too sharp.  I'm more of a Mig-3 pilot but in them 109s its best to get your alt, boom & zoom, and repeat.  If you end up in a turn fight, break off and climb to your advantage. 

Hope this helps a bit.

Happy landings!!

So i should not use flaps while starting? Could using horizontal stabilizer help somehow?

So i should not use flaps while starting? Could using horizontal stabilizer help somehow?

If you are going to implement flaps on takeoff, best use only about 15% if you are fully loaded heavy fuel and bombs.  Other then that flaps don't need to be applied,  

Horizontal stabilizer could help trim to steady your level flight but the sensitivity of the joystick would throw you off pretty quick. The "bobbing" effect with the 109's is a known issue that many have work around for.

So, i have found out what was behind my kamikaze-like starting. I didnt lock my tail wheel. This little thing was making my plane unflyable. I tried to start like you told me and it works  :) Thank you, you have ended my crashing :)

Outstanding!  I'm glad I could help.  Now, let's have some fun getting back down alive :)

That is the next thing im gonna learn :D And when i will lend without crashing, then will i go to train some fighting :D Now i am not able to hit wide side of the barn :D

))

i think that means "up your buttcheeks"

:biggrin:

I think this means up your butt cheeks

(_*_)

Hi guys

I finally decided to give MP a try. I didn't want to because I was afraid of mayhem I could do while taxing. But some of you gave me an advice to take Ju87 or Il-2 as they are easy to taxi planes. And I was surprised that they were.

But I have to do something wrong as I manage to destroy my engine on each flght. I take off at full power and reduce rpm to ~80% shortly after being airborne and retract flaps. Then I tried to reach an ~ 400m altitude but it was quite difficult (full gasoline, 500kg 2x250kg load). Then I tried to fly to the target at ~60% rpm but each time I was slowly bleeding my altitude and finally dmg my engine. And what's funny I had my oil and coolant fully opened.

The only thing I think of now is the mixture. I didn't change it and the flame was yellow. Could this be the cause of engine dmg?

Y.

For Ju87, if you keep you RPM at about 2100 and ATA below 1.2, your engine will be fine. If you are losing altitude, trim nose up.

Check if you need the full tank. Sometimes, especially with Ju88 and He111 it makes all the difference to climb.

For the engine, watch the temperatures and open the radiators for takeoff.

But I have to do something wrong as I manage to destroy my engine on each flght.

I take off at full power and reduce rpm to ~80% shortly after being airborne and retract flaps. Then I tried to fly 

The problem is that you should not try fly based in % but respecting every plane ATA and RPM limits, check in game manual or Chuck Owl guides.

Hi guys.

Thanks a lot for your advices. The 2100 RPM really works and I was able to reach my target (seconds I had reached it mission time has ended). I'm more and more confident with taxing.

My question is how long can I stay at 2500 RPM (climb power) before dmg my engine? Or where can I find such information? Also I would like to ask If you are able to adjust mixture in Ju 87 cause I have tried to change it but at no effect?

Y.

You can stay at climb power for about 30 minutes. I think that the game actually warns you when you exceed the time. Also after the latest update the specs for all planes are included in the game, so when you sit in a plane, you can hit Esc and click "Specifications" for your plane. 

No manual mixture control for German planes.

Thanks a lot Kemp.

By the way I live very close to place where Commander of JG 77 Erich Leie was killed. Engine of his Bf 109 was unearthed few years ago. If you are interested I will send a link to an article about it (it is in polish but maybe Google will translate it well).

Y.

Climb power for the Ju87 is 2450 RPM at 1.25 ATA. For further informations for the BOS aircrafts you can also take a look into Chuck`s aircraft guide in the manuals.

My question is how long can I stay at 2500 RPM (climb power) before dmg my engine? Or where can I find such information?

Open the mission briefing and click on the Specification tab.

Also I would like to ask If you are able to adjust mixture in Ju 87 cause I have tried to change it but at no effect?

No, all Axis aircraft have automatically-controlled mixture. 

Hi guys 

Again thanks a lot for all your answers.

Another question (and that may seems strange to you) if you don't mind - do I have different input for throttle and RPM? I mean like two different axis? I have a Z axis mapped on my Saitek x52 for trottle and I always thought that RPM depends on throttle (and only on that). But after that sentence:

Set your RPM to 2000 and adjust throttle input as required to maintain approach speed at 190 kph

from Chuck's guide I'm not so sure anymore. Or maybe it is just my english.

Y.

Ok I did answered on question above myself after changing my GUI to english. But I have more questions - what exactly do I change with propeller RPM? When I adjust throttle I simply make my engine to make more power by giving it more fuel (if I'm not mistaken). But on technical level what changing RPM does? Does it affect engine? Or is it some kind of gear for propeller?

Sorry If it is obvious for you and I ask really really stupid questions. But I really do want to fly. Always did. I know I won't be that good as most of you cause home, children, work ect. But I really enjoy that moments in the air.

BTW when BOM will be released on Steam?

Y.

Simply put, your engine speed (revolutions per minute) depends on the combination of thrust and propeller pitch angle. There are various levels of automation on different WWII planes, but if you are mostly interested in Stuka, it has a constant-speed propeller, which means that you manually set the engine speed (RPM) that you want and then the propeller pitch changes automatically to keep the engine running at the specified RPM.

Ok I did answered on question above myself after changing my GUI to english. But I have more questions - what exactly do I change with propeller RPM? When I adjust throttle I simply make my engine to make more power by giving it more fuel (if I'm not mistaken). But on technical level what changing RPM does? Does it affect engine? Or is it some kind of gear for propeller?

Sorry If it is obvious for you and I ask really really stupid questions. But I really do want to fly. Always did. I know I won't be that good as most of you cause home, children, work ect. But I really enjoy that moments in the air.

BTW when BOM will be released on Steam?

Y.

1) There is no such thing as a stupid question.

2) Simply put, your throttle more or less controls the fuel flow being sent to the engine. You can see it like a gas pedal in a car. Throttling up or down will have an effect on your engine RPM and, more importantly, your manifold pressure (also called Boost Pressure, MP or ATA). This manifold pressure is expressed in units of pressure (US aircraft: inches of Mercury (Hg), British aircraft: Psi or "pounds of boost", German Aircraft: Atmosphere, Russian aircraft: mm of Mercury (Hg)).

In general, applying more throttle = getting more power.

3) The RPM Control Lever (also called Propeller Pitch Control) controls the propeller pitch. A good analogy is switching gears on a bike or a manual car. The history of these "RPM controllers" is long and fastidious. At first, pilots realized that they could tweak manually the pitch of their propeller, and that their aircraft performance would be better at certain RPM. A "fine" pitch would allow the engine to develop a higher RPM, which allowed the aircraft to climb much more easily. However, a fine pitch and high RPM has the side-effect of consuming a lot of fuel and wearing down the engine at a quicker rate. Oil temperature and coolant/glycol temperature can easily go beyond recommended limits if you stay at max RPM for too long, which can have dire consequences (radiator perforation or even worse: complete engine seizure). A "coarse" propeller pitch and low RPM, on the other hand, is much more useful if you are going straight and want to gain speed. It will also help you save on fuel. A coarser pitch can be useful in a dive to prevent engine overspeed, but it is not recommended in a climb. So, as you can see, the pilot would change his propeller pitch based on 1) his engine RPM 2) his oil/coolant temperature 3) what he wants to do with his aircraft (climb, cruise or descend) 4) surrounding air density, which varies with altitude (the higher you go, the less air you will find) and has a direct incidence on the thrust generated by the propeller and the engine.

In most flight manuals, you will find many different power ratings (MIL power, TOGA (Takeoff-Go-Around), FULL power, 5 MINUTE power, 1 MINUTE EMERGENCY power, WAR EMERGENCY POWER (WEP), etc.). Most of the time, these are power settings that you can only maintain for a certain amount of time before either your engine blows up in your face. In most aircraft guides, I always recommend certain power settings (basically set your throttle and RPM controller in order to reach certain RPM and Manifold Pressure values and you'll be fine) based on certain situations. In certain aircraft, you can also use MW50 (50-50 mix of Methanol-Water) which can be injected into the engine to improve performance.

Take note that eventually, engineers found a way to create a "constant-speed propeller" system that allowed that pilot to set the pilot to set his engine to a desired RPM, and the aircraft will vary the propeller pitch automatically to try to maintain this desired RPM. This is what most Russian aircraft in BoS and BoM have at the moment, with some exceptions. The Germans, on the other side, found a way to create a propeller governor that will automatize even further the engine. For instance, in the FW190, with a single throttle you can control your manifold pressure and the RPM will automatically set itself to the optimal value. This reduces the pilot's workload. This governor is also installed on the Bf.109, but you can also set the propeller pitch to a "manual" mode if you want in the 109 only.

Today, most modern aircraft have a similar governor. Engineers eventually found even more efficient ways to control the engine with a FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Controller), which is basically the "brain" of the engine that controls most engine parameters automatically by controlling fuel/air valves within the engine system... so you only have to deal with a simple throttle.

So, overall, you can control your engine RPM with both your throttle and the RPM control lever. I typically set my manifold pressure first, and then I fine-tune the RPM with the RPM control lever to reach the desired RPM and MP setting. You will also have to keep an eye on your oil and coolant temperature: you can control these temperatures using your coolant and oil radiator or cowling flap open/close controls. Your airspeed and airflow going through the engine will also have a direct influence on your engine temperatures (the faster you go, the more airflow goes through the engine to cool it down).

Edited by Chuck_Owl
  • Upvote 1

Thank you a lot Kemp and Chuck. That was really helpfull. I was able to reach my target without damaging my engine and climb pretty easily. One question on that matter if you allow - I can't find translator good enough to understand what propeller pitch means. Is it angle of attack of propeller blade? I'm asking because Chuck said Propeller Pitch Control is like gear shifting in a car but the transmission seems seamless to me. There are no stages if I'm not mistaken.

Y.

Prop pitch itself means angle of propeller blade, yes.

Within most aircraft in game though it actually sets the desired RPM which is kept constant by the engine governor. Transmission in RPM is mostly seamless but you can feel major changes. In the LaGG-3 or Yak-1 for example you can really hear the engine change sound and the aircraft start vibrating when you bring it from 2600 RPM to 1900 RPM at full throttle.

Newbie pilot signing in.

Last time I took to the virtual skies was a few years back with IL2-1946. Can't wait to get back into this again.

Newbie pilot signing in.

Last time I took to the virtual skies was a few years back with IL2-1946. Can't wait to get back into this again.

Welcome!

I`m sure you will enjoy it  :salute:

Hello all!

Very impressed with BOS so far. So much so that I'm downloading BOM as I type :). So many good videos on YT and write ups on here. I'm a big fan of "Tailmange" videos...that's pretty much how I fly.

I dabble in MP now and again but mostly a SP kinda guy.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

It took me a while but I finally caved and bought BOS on the recommendation of a friend.  Glad I did!  Now said friend and I are tuning our controls and getting a feel for our favorite aircraft.  The mulyiplayer is pretty great but the lack of people online is a bit disconcerting. TaW was just too serious (kicked for sitting gunner position and choosing the "wrong" aircraft?) for our tastes.  I've put in a request for a dedicated server of my own in hopes to alleviate that.  I couldn't be happier with the quality of the game, though!  I just wish the online community were a bit more populated.  My buddy and I just want to run missions together in an open server where people can come and go as they please, fly what they like, run missions, and just have a bit of fun in general.

I did visit the TAW forum and web page to get an idea of WHY I was kicked but honestly, nothing that I could find prohibits what my friend and I were doing.  Regardless, we'll be steering clear of TAW until we get as better handle on how things work and more comfortable with the rule set.  The guys running the server were polite and professional, so nothing against them in the least.  I want to make that clear.  We weren't treated rudely at all.  Anyway, I just wanted to say "I'm new here and learning the ropes".

It took me a while but I finally caved and bought BOS on the recommendation of a friend.  Glad I did! 

Welcome to IL2:BOS!

On TAW you are restricted to planes that are in your "Hangar". You obtain new planes on completion of successful missions.

Click here to see your available planes.

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot.php?name=Mekanikol

Gunner positions are unfortunately not allowed there - probably a limitation on how the plane restrictions are scripted into that server.

Salute!

Coming over from RoF, I have installed BoS just a few days ago.

I've tried some quick missions and the Career so far. I'm flying the Bf109 F4 and in the first few Career missions I've selected the intercept mission type. (It's a bit odd that I can "generate" what mission and from which airfield I'll fly though. In QM it's fine, but in Career?! IRL I'd be ORDERED to fly a mission and I wouldn't choose anything... But nevermind... All's well...)

So, we set out to intercept some low flying IL2 bombers. While I noticed (quite dangerous) ground fire and some enemy fighters, I was not even ONCE threatened by the IL2's rear gunner! I swear, I didn't see a single bullet these gunners would fire at me. And I had attacked them from various angles - I'd expect to see some gunfire when I'm approaching from "not very high" six (probably the worst possible approach). I almost expected my engine to be oiled any second (from RoF experience), but there were no tracers at all.

--- edit ---

I fly the Career on "Expert" settings. I'd love to know what these settings are, or to be able to customize it a bit. For example when I press "O", it displays the briefing and the map, where I can see friendly and enemy icons on it. This doesn't look like "Expert" settings to me, but perhaps I screwed up by setting different settings in QM before... ?

--- /edit ---

Any thoughts?

J2_Jakob

Edited by J2_Jakob

Salute!

Coming over from RoF, I have installed BoS just a few days ago.

I've tried some quick missions and the Career so far. I'm flying the Bf109 F4 and in the first few Career missions I've selected the intercept mission type. (It's a bit odd that I can "generate" what mission and from which airfield I'll fly though. In QM it's fine, but in Career?! IRL I'd be ORDERED to fly a mission and I wouldn't choose anything... But nevermind... All's well...)

So, we set out to intercept some low flying IL2 bombers. While I noticed (quite dangerous) ground fire and some enemy fighters, I was not even ONCE threatened by the IL2's rear gunner! I swear, I didn't see a single bullet these gunners would fire at me. And I had attacked them from various angles - I'd expect to see some gunfire when I'm approaching from "not very high" six (probably the worst possible approach). I almost expected my engine to be oiled any second (from RoF experience), but there were no tracers at all.

--- edit ---

I fly the Career on "Expert" settings. I'd love to know what these settings are, or to be able to customize it a bit. For example when I press "O", it displays the briefing and the map, where I can see friendly and enemy icons on it. This doesn't look like "Expert" settings to me, but perhaps I screwed up by setting different settings in QM before... ?

--- /edit ---

Any thoughts?

J2_Jakob

Its probably because the IL2's didn't have rear gunners. Its the default config of the plane, rear gunner is a mod..so no worries attacking them in single player. Be more cautious in multuplayer tho.

The expert settings can be tweaked to your preference, but I dont remember how its done.