Major_Hero

Show us your cockpit!

@Hunchy : You’re the master of aluminum extrusion frames. Must have cost a fortune.

Where do you get your supplies, if I may ask?

1 hour ago, BP_Lizard said:

@Hunchy : You’re the master of aluminum extrusion frames. Must have cost a fortune.

Where do you get your supplies, if I may ask?

Thanks! (It's really not that difficult though) 

I ordered the bulk of it from Motedis.co.uk as their struts and connecting joints are relatively cheap compared to other suppliers. Only downside is that they don't give any technical support. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hunchy said:

Thanks! (It's really not that difficult though) 

I ordered the bulk of it from Motedis.co.uk as their struts and connecting joints are relatively cheap compared to other suppliers. Only downside is that they don't give any technical support. 

I see. I’m interested in building a cockpit but they’re kind of expensive here in the States. Do you use the 2040 profile?  Do you have a circular mitre saw for cutting?

I used 45mm X 45mm Slot 10 profile as it's very strong and there is a good selection of slot 10 compatible connectors and brackets available.

I don't own a mitre saw. Instead I ordered all my lengths pre-cut as it was only about 50 pence extra per cut. To ensure all my measurements were correct, I used a free CAD software package (MAY-CAD) for the design. It's very easy to use and specifically for use with extruded aluminium profiles. If you do decide to go ahead and build your own rig, I highly recommend it as the starting point. 

My rig, when is not under assault by my kids :)

Welded steel frame, old car seat and DIY rudder and stick.

pit1.jpg

pit3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Here is my cockpit WW2 fighter oriented! 

Ravcore Javelin really great stick for its price.

Saitek throttle for prop engine management

Thrustmaster cheap pedals

And my trim box with yaw roll pitch trim an extra lever for turbo (p-47) flaps, an extra generic slider and some switches, all connected to a Leo Bondar BU0836A . It's a pity I can't use it right now in the game since it dowsnt allow me to set them in axis 😪 Hope devs fix this soon! 

And finally HTC Vive cause I can play a sim game without vr anymore!😊

Cheers guys see you in the sky!

2a888c9d-9b12-4946-85d4-92aec95728ec.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

What material is that black frame, @LukeFF? Looksnice and sturdy.

It's a steel frame from MonsterTech, a German company who recently opened their American website. And yes, it's very sturdy. 

• Thanks 1

So, I've opened up the recognition light panel I showed up above and determined it can be wired to a USB circuit board. Just need to find a small enough LED bulb to replace the original, since something like that will burn out before long. 

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190327191433316_COVER.thumb.jpg.b4667324273a590c6c850550a6313cee.jpgIMG_20190327_193656_01.thumb.jpg.93c6d2c4c50decd02f2c52607ac94bbe.jpg

On 3/26/2019 at 2:16 AM, LukeFF said:

MVIMG_20190325_170748.thumb.jpg.3f2537c0f934e4f9ebb6f5d0d7964a29.jpg

Ever since I saw this beauty back on the simHQ site,  I wondered who the lucky owner is. Now this is a throttle to my taste! And the rest of your 'cockpit' is also top notch. Enjoy it!

7 hours ago, Volans said:

Ever since I saw this beauty back on the simHQ site,  I wondered who the lucky owner is. Now this is a throttle to my taste! And the rest of your 'cockpit' is also top notch. Enjoy it!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really happy with this setup. 

Ahoj priatelia, ale ja som urobil niečo také, vrátane počítača, ktorý vyzerá ako čmeliak ..: D

IMG_1463.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Helo said:

Ahoj priatelia, ale ja som urobil niečo také, vrátane počítača, ktorý vyzerá ako čmeliak ..: D

IMG_1463.JPG

Waooooo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Helo said:

IMG_1463.JPG

WOW!

Pracuje ejekčný krúžok a sedadlo?

Does the ejection ring and seat work?😲

• Like 2

There are three levers and eject on the chair. I use all, I just had to install the microswitches. The chair moves motorically horizontally and vertically.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 8:58 PM, Helo said:

ktorý vyzerá ako čmeliak

Spectacular rig!

čmeliak je počítač?

Here is my cockpit, tucked into the living area of a caravan. I've had to angle the table in order to fit it in with the built-in cabinet, and I had to hack a piece out it as well.

It looks a bit cramped, but so was a WW2 cockpit!

Apologies for the poor picture quality. They were taken on a cheap prepaid phone.

IMG_20190325_171159.thumb.jpg.073959f559aecf857e8dfc6f80060429.jpg

IMG_20190325_172428.thumb.jpg.f1bf41f3643abcd633f431cc14576ec9.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

Done some work on mine. :)

20190412_102250.jpg

Strange shape of the seat cushion - but I think I know what it is for (or to prevent from) ... I wish I had one like this.

3 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

Done some work on mine. :)

I had to look twice to see what you'd changed. Quite a few new buttons and axes to map with the new WH throttle and new throttle quadrant. (Oh, and you've recently emptied the astray!)

I like the rubber boot on the stick base, is that from a car gear stick?

And I could use an extra cushion on my standard office chair. It's better than sitting on a parachute pack, but does get a bit hard after a few hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jaygee485 said:

I had to look twice to see what you'd changed. Quite a few new buttons and axes to map with the new WH throttle and new throttle quadrant. (Oh, and you've recently emptied the astray!)

I like the rubber boot on the stick base, is that from a car gear stick?

And I could use an extra cushion on my standard office chair. It's better than sitting on a parachute pack, but does get a bit hard after a few hours.

It looks like a cushion but, shh, it's a parachute. 🤨

Yes, gear-stick thingies, they give a nice bit of tension to firm up the extension. I've had the TM stuff for years and nearly sold it a couple of times, thinking I'd not be doing sims again. I already sold my Crosswind pedals, got more than I paid for them. They were a bit overkill anyway, the TM ones are good enough. :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

Yes, gear-stick thingies, they give a nice bit of tension to firm up the extension.

I want one, to keep the dust out of my hog stick. (Thinking ahead to impending stiction issues) 

Did you buy it new or from an auto wrecker? Do you know what model car it's from?

Edited by jaygee485
typo

Success with the recognition light panel! So, I purchased a BU0836A board and my best friend - who is an electrical engineer - pulled out the metal connector bars and the original bulb and added in some new wiring, along with an LED bulb. He said that, since those switches are so old, he had to move them up and down a couple hundred times to get the contacts to respond. 😮 Just need to find a shorter USB connector now. 

Ilo3v6Hn-AVzTLT9Ep0aO16AMUsYLgIJutgh2S4xQeQH6xiHAHXaee2lzxBvLA7CrLBSuqryZfCGf2iLF1EUS8-9yXUilXo8ObUdJsS0BzQOOYUYSUA9P3M1A5wGVejdS0N7KTY2SohU8DYs0iX_WRGaLVUOke-ss5w5JPFu85aG1576qlVst0Zxg5s_PFChnOR7BkRpW73IWDfHiexTNgZ_Y4JnUJb5VRChAmWheq5nD6LscEfjVmm7t-xdIbTRGqszi1IGpTEdTj3eT3HB4TqX61sgXbN8ljurXfuOJCJ5MPqhJT2GE0B96vrce-3095oaj2qtWzL0d2OeLwGFRWd2MzXfFBPn3DVtfQI2PvcYhthFVATCjGzBN2KxjQApAKpbRQ6PjDR31uUSeEj0aaS1B2eHp_meXvMOkdpdTFnBLasxpGWbKIrzhkNAIuXi4vdOR5BftQUpDOd3_bW5lNsgICXXjKEJEfYoGWiSaMF92jWBEaqseQ_0vd3SkUvy9Vp3A7-QgVgVQEgCsC6pIi6W-mUdpZs7TC8SCOXT_fjQ85Ut9HURXF1dcjAzJaGITOkOx9-hlX80xfScplJW--k0qMAs92qcT6j6SeBwpXyVHhXS4-fqw4yeKxN9cSBdr6Cvy6njHuwKgT5q2a2KVpZNBvyOcjM=w1440-h1080-noe con

noesP6JyxpAzafavmS5KeFYbBBZ5qlfiS6bUxiR7O2fVBgrdggToGEuW1QItTbVxwjs6Mp45vP1jmHG6NYafhr_34r9JFPwBckV4ArizSOmrWLrJ3OMEJayeKWTBfD74PBR_28fW9ia38u1PqWaa6q5hX5O8SrjNHlFiZMqS0n1lultU-OJPfgV6iE4sBYkm-kWudxNyApvSAx34kY_s32OYGJljiQvHx5hOAwdmI0B2y8YT87MVBC8E6sSw5GJO93eW-smX7vzh0ROiBOoNQ_qHMQ9FiZKIv3V3z5bUmWZB3Dqbx3zjY4sV1kYQVg6BURL5qtsi7p4f1d9X2bR7yqWUhbF6F-1CQGwAYb-SE1jnH9zIMTbWHVvuciVYEulYA32T8Pz7d20069JLe3_HIyOH0coPEipHJoX6fr9Dlyjc4nA0NWesFhSpWPpIQOkh3aQnlkwgQuTE4tHpkfTKo--l4-15ONcXjC2A3J1xdDOOtQSRmGNsnHKgDdcp0kmLUWnqx4vzvVIMKps0_2bGf-UJxZjUrLV7d9BXWU1ySF7dwk2iifRgqD954ASKJudrr3b8h1_8fxzftpNk45fW70yd53gzux_G3UM1qkN7MHGJWHNxtBLsIx_YhJ4XiU-rFG4CoGA-z9F2A7IFETpOm_Do_ayrCxQ=w1440-h1080-no

Here is where I do my thing:

h4su4yv.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jaygee485 said:

I want one, to keep the dust out of my hog stick. (Thinking ahead to impending stiction issues) 

Did you buy it new or from an auto wrecker? Do you know what model car it's from?

I think they're from a Ford Fiesta (there's one inside the other for "extra stiffness"). By some quirk of luck the bottom is a perfect snug fit around the base of the TM. From a car scrapyard. Around a 2010 model.

20190414_094203.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Car-Handbrake-Gearstick-Gaiters-for-Ford-Fiesta/174079/bn_7017695947

Edited by Uffz-Prien
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uffz-Prien said:

I think they're from a Ford Fiesta

Thanks for the info, and the link. The fit looks perfect around the base and the extension. Good find!

I don't really want any extra stiffness, but if I only fit one it'll keep out the dust (and crumbs 😁) without adding too much resistance.

Now that I know where to start,  I'll start looking.

• Like 1

P-47 recognition light switchbox project completed and mounted to my MonsterTech frame. The red button is used to toggle the altimeter setting, and the switches are used for radio messages. To keep the LED light from being illuminated all the time, the box is connected to a USB hub with individual on / off switches. 

It was extremely hard to fit the USB board inside the box (USB wasn't exactly a thing in 1945 😄), but it ended up fitting about as good as one could expect). 

IMG_20190416_220802_01.thumb.jpg.c7c6a9c9f9f3e79a55cf683e19b73769.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, BP_Lizard said:

Because this is how @-99th-moosya sims, man. 😉

DF85E20A-34A9-48A3-B7C6-3FC778692D1F.jpeg

Where did you dig up this classic pic?

I remember that ad for the JBL L100, from the early '70s. West Coast sound!

A set of those was a must-have for any student apartment in the day. Happy memories.... 

Edited by jaygee485

1 hour ago, jaygee485 said:

Where did you dig up this classic pic?

I remember that ad for the JBL L100, from the early '70s. West Coast sound!

A set of those was a must-have for any student apartment in the day. Happy memories.... 

Just on Google image. Same here. I was a kid back in the seventies when I first saw the ad on a magazine. Stuck in my mind forever. It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw Moosya's setup. 😄

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 3uster3oo said:

Looks quite unique!

I like that armour-plated seat, which you must have made yourself. The throttle quadrant too, also self made?

That stick is seriously long-throw, isn't it restricted by your legs when you bank steeply?

I second BP-Lizard, please tell us about your rig.

Edit: Monitor, or VR?

Edited by jaygee485
afterthought

Sorry don't know much I brought from eBay a few years back. All I know is this were made for the Air Cadets and supplied by RC SIMULATIONS LTD for around the price of £1500. They also supplied a Heli version. Its a lovely bit of kit very smooth and precise. No its not restricted by legs when feet on pedals your be very lucky :} if its touches you lol,

7567f4d2d8aff8e727deb534d5ac182e--control-system.jpg

• Thanks 1

Anyone interested I've put this set up for sale on eBay.

My new KK throttle arrived yesterday, from Finland. I've just finished mounting it, mapping a few essentials, and testing it with a quick mission. Very impressed.

Still haven't bought a decent phone (maybe that's my next mission now that my cockpit's sorted) so these pics are poor quality. Even worse than the last ones, as I've used flash.

IMG_20190625_195516.jpg

IMG_20190625_195540.jpg

• Like 2

@jaygee485

I can see that sad Warthog throttle on the left :(

Anyway planning to get the same equipement you already have, great taste!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1