Major_Hero

Show us your cockpit!

Thanks guys :) I also have to say that the Precision Flight Controls Throttle is quite a godsend. It's modular, so you can switch the levers out depending on whether you are playing a single engine or twin engine plane. Their yoke is buttery smooth and a real delight to use. My next upgrade would be a decent gaming seat. The dining chair I have now is pretty uncomfortable!

I use a car seat for that. It's great that it is mounted on a rail so getting behind the stick is no real problem. The tabel with the throttle swivels to the left in my setup so I can easily "board":

post-675-0-25526400-1435939108_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-83917200-1435939114_thumb.jpg

I use a Carseat aswell since some months. Before I used a Playseat,never liked it much,it was not very comfortable to me. A used Carseat for like 80 Euro costs much less and is much more comfortable and you can slide it back to get in and out easier.

I managed to get my hands on a Obutto seat for $50, so now I'm looking for ways to jerryrig a seat base for it. It's basically a repurposed carseat, and seems comfortable enough.

Good find on the Seat. A Baseplate where you build a frame or a Box where you mount that seat on. Then fasten your pedals and the stick also on the base...kind of something like Bando did.

Totally Impressed with the level of construction you have all achieved and the vast array of components used

I've upgraded and added a few more Saitek throttles to my system. I've managed to slap on a makeshift platform for my standalone Obutto seat, and it works pretty well. Pretty comfortable! My aim is to be able to fly almost every aircraft from Rise of Flight to DCS and X-plane, and I think it works pretty well.

I've got a question for you more seasoned sim pit builders. I'm thinking of making my levers more customisable and I'm wondering if there is a powerful key mapper out there for axes. I am using x-padder now for simple key commands like using a lever for opening bomb doors and dive brakes. But is there a software that allows even greater customization? Like if the lever is at 25% you can assign one keypress and if the lever is at 50, 75 or 100% you can assign different keypresses. Would appreciate any insight on this, thanks! :)

post-16744-0-38989800-1438053878_thumb.jpg

post-16744-0-69716800-1438053887_thumb.jpg

The only (3rd part) keymaper that allow divide axis course in bands for generate key press is Pinnacle Game Profiler (~10$), allow 8 parts.

You can download and try for some days.

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/download

The interface is (IMO) PITA, especially if you re used to Xpadder simplicity.

AutoHotkey too allow this but the language used for scripts is not friendly... and make more intensive use of CPU.

Thanks so much Sokol! That is most helpful. I'll give it a try.

BTW - I remember of Mcab Mapper -Think that intended to use a gamepad as computer multimedia controller, but has feature to dived a axis in 3 bands and set different buttons for each, plus Windows modifiers (Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Win...) besides map the buttons/HAT.

Is freeware but have this limitation: work with only 1 controller with up to 32 buttons.

Download there http://mercury13.tut.su/

I translated the interface for English (replace the default.Lng).

The names for multimedia functions I leave in Russian as has no use for joystick.

default.zip

Edited by Sokol1

Mcab Mapper is intend for control train simulators - I don't undestand the multimedia controls... probable for locomotive whistle. :)

Some features (from the Help):

• Support axles > multi-position switches. Conventional continuous axis are treated as a special case of such a switch. Pressing the button attached to the input as a switch / exit from it, and to move the axis up and down.
  • The "hanging position of the axis," simplifies the joystick if the axis is used as switch.
  • Features parking and auto sync axes to sustain physical sync with the virtual switch controller in the game.
  • Renumbering the axis assignment - allows wafer controller with insufficient provisions to switch to some elected position.
  • A wide range of system commands (Windows), including a volume control, sound recordings, parking axis.
  • Buttons can be assigned events in press, hold and release.

Thanks Sokol, I've just taken Pinnacle out for a spin - it seems quite powerful but yes the interface is kinda clunky. I spent hours just playing around with it and trying to figure everything out. The zone system works decent, but I'm not sure if there is a way to assign a keypress when the zone state changes. Eg, when you move the lever from A -> B -> C is one command and C -> B -> A is another command. This is properly simulate a lever in game, like the He-111 oil radiators in IL2 BOS. I'm wondering why they don't allow axis assignments to the oil radiators. 

Thanks again for the suggestion, Pinnacle is closest to what I've been looking for.

The zone system works decent, but I'm not sure if there is a way to assign a keypress when the zone state changes. Eg, when you move the lever from A -> B -> C is one command and C -> B -> A is another command. This is properly simulate a lever in game, like the He-111 oil radiators in IL2 BOS. 

As alternative try Autohokey, sample of code to use a axis to press one Key if move Up and another key if move down, you can divide the axis in many bands (in the example, one axis is divided in 3 and other in 21).

http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/40568-kind-of-rotary-switch-with-a-joystick-axis/page-2

Edited by Sokol1

Has anyone else gotten to feeling like the center stick is very fatiguing over long periods due to how far forward it has to be placed? My shoulders are dying after a while, I think I'm going to shorten my stick and move it to the side again. Or should I try more of a hellio style bend in the stick?

Edited by driftaholic

I have my stick base slightly tilting towards me.

I am sitting on a car chair mounted on wooden blocks and it's own rails. The car chair allows for the back portion of the chair to be tilted forward or back.

When flying I tilt it forward and it works ok. Even when flying for some hours at a row.

When not flying I tilt the chair back a little and I am comfortably sitting and reading these forums.

In short: Consider the chair you're in.

Hope this helps.

Crosswind pedals are great.

Has anyone else gotten to feeling like the center stick is very fatiguing over long periods due to how far forward it has to be placed? My shoulders are dying after a while, I think I'm going to shorten my stick and move it to the side again. Or should I try more of a hellio style bend in the stick?

Here is my solution to that problem :)

post-73331-0-37022300-1447171175_thumb.jpg

post-73331-0-38646800-1447171182_thumb.jpg

post-73331-0-73547800-1447171191_thumb.jpg

I haven't tested this in longer sessions as I'm still in the process of extending my stick but so far, so good.

• Upvote 2

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share this with ya. I went form this $500 dollar cockpit here

20151017_201105.jpg

To this here

20151108_184704.jpg

The reason you ask, well it's so much easier to get out of and I can move around a lot easier as well. Oh but the best part is, it only cost me $50 bucks to build. I still have to paint it grey, which I'll do over the weekend. Just thought I'd share this with ya!

Edited by 4./JG53_Badger
  • Upvote 2

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best ones. BTW is this the Cardbox pit that was on Kickstarter some time ago?

Hi guys,

I was wondering, is it possible on BoS to make some external instruments? I mean does the game give back data? Has someone ever made a speed indicator, alitmeter, etc.? I know it's possible on CoD, but does it work for BoS? :)

Thanks !

Wicked throttle. Wow!!

guys this just great! I think I'm the only one who's playing on laptop with mouse and joystick  :lol:

I suggest use Arduino PRO Micro (or other ATMEGA32u4 based card) instead UNO.

http://www.banggood.com/Pro-Micro-Atmega32U4-5V16M-Module-Board-For-Arduino-p-985617.html

Not because is slight more cheap, but because can use MMjoy2 firmware, developed be simmer, with advanced functions (besides the basic joystick: axis, buttons, HAT) like support for encoders - can trim "on rotaries" BoS planes - filters and curves in axis and more.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

I will most liklely get a Sunfounder starter kit for Xmas, with the equivalent of the Arduino Mega, so I'll try and see what I can get with that :)

But it's basically just to get started :)

Anyone need some night time cockpit lighting?

I just picked up a 2 pack of LED hockey puck shaped lights Energizer makes at Lowes for about $25. The cool thing is they are color changing...so you can stick them anywhere in your virtual cockpit and give you red or green night lighting. I always hate playing with a ton of lights on in the basement so now I can have just barely enough light to light my keyboard and button boxes up while not losing my night vision. Works great in racing games or flying night missions.

I'll post a few screens when I have it setup. WW2 plane? I go with red lights, fighter jet? I go with bright green. Racing game? I'll go with blue to match the real cars lighting. Pretty cool!

Edited by kestrel79

Here is my DIY pit (the Blue throttle is fresh out the printer and i havent made the electronics for it yet)

post-31789-0-77185700-1504046808_thumb.jpg

SAG

DIY Baloo pedals?

Edited by Sokol1

SAG

DIY Baloo pedals?

The metal part is from the baloo pedals design, the rest is just built around whatever i had around the house in the time of making. good eyes!