Major_Hero

Show us your cockpit!

Hi everyone

I have seen some great work by sim pilots on other forums, and I thought it would be good to share something similar here. I'm a giant at 6 foot 9, so I needed something comfy for the long patrols over the theatre of operation. I hope you like it, and I invite you to share your "Office" too.

Cockpit.jpg

Blue skies

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

RCvBEr6.jpg

:blush:

I saw your pedals on internet review site.

Is that worth a price?

Edited by resmania
  • Upvote 1

Hi everyone

I have seen some great work by sim pilots on other forums, and I thought it would be good to share something similar here. I'm a giant at 6 foot 9, so I needed something comfy for the long patrols over the theatre of operation. I hope you like it, and I invite you to share your "Office" too.

Cockpit.jpg

Blue skies

That's a baller setup.

Hi everyone

Cockpit.jpg

Blue skies

That's a lot of diecast. Also, nice spot for a cup holder. 

Posted before, but what the hell, I'm quite proud of it.

Parked in the hanger

cockpit069.jpg

Pre flight

cockpit072.jpg

cockpit074.jpg

Ready for some fun

cockpit082.jpg

• Upvote 8

I love these threads

1415445_755756551107249_124904260_o.jpg

I ended up ditching the play seat since I couldn't get the stick in the right position in favor of a folding chair that sits much higher.

Edited by driftaholic

Hi everyone

Cockpit.jpg

Blue skies

Do you like the extension on your warthog? Nice setup by the way!!

Hey Johnny Red - I have been collecting diecast for many years and have finally got a place to enjoy them. I have a war office at home, and that is where I immerse myself when I have a moments peace.

Resmania - I have not had pedals before and have upgraded to the Warthog system. This required pedals and I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger. There is a lot of information on the various flight sim forums about these pedals and other options available. I only have these to speak of and like most have said, they are sturdy, comfortable, brilliantly constructed, and in my honest opinion....I don't care about what I paid for them now. I was so impressed when I received them, that I was compelled to write to the producer to congratulate him on an outstanding product. I would replace these with the same again, but I am confident I will not need to do that for many many years.

Hagar - That is a sweet setup you have there and you have obviously given the design some thought....Congratulations. I think this warrants a WIP photo montage from you

Oct - The warthog extension is from Sahaj (Also in this forum - Warthog extensions), and if I have no regrets. Brilliant pieces that ad so much control to your game.

Driftaholic - I looked at the playseat originally, and thought what better option than to get a nice Mazda 323 passenger front seat from a wrecker, and mount it to a frame. There is one last modification to do and that is to fit a U style bracket to the frame so I can take the base off the control stick and mount it comfortably between my legs above the cushioning

Blue skies all

Hi everyone

Cockpit.jpg

Blue skies

In addition to the set-up for flying that display case full of models caught my eye also!

Nice framework aus, you wouldn't have a plan with dimensions you would be willing to share perchance?

Hi Pierre,

Would love to claim a gram of originality, but it is a Roger Dodger Aviation design (WW2 Cockpit - with modified right stand for mouse).

Plenty of info on Google/Youtube.

Used breadboard for the top of the stands and the joystick mount rather than timber.  Tools - jigsaw for cutting the tubing and electric drill.  Nice little project. 

Got all the bits from my local plumbing outfit but I think it can all be obtained from Bunnings.

Edited by aus3620

Thanks aus3620. Great stuff on the website and plenty of options to choose from. Looks like a project coming up.

It's very much a work in progress ,still few things to do. I atleast want to cover the sides and give it some paint. But I have some more ideas I want to add at some point.

post-13465-0-68060800-1408985623_thumb.jpg

post-13465-0-06999800-1408985726_thumb.jpg

post-13465-0-30592800-1408985784_thumb.jpg

I've always liked pits made from the 80/20 aluminum bits.  I don't think they sell their simpit kit anymore through ebay; wish I'd have grabbed the list if parts (lengths, connectors, etc.) when they still had it up.

Good job, ST_Pirato!

Edited by mudpuppy

If you want I can write you a list of what I've used. I ordered all in full lengths like 500mm 600mm etc. because I have no garage or something where I can work at. Only a few small pieces I took over to where I work and cut it there. The rest I did with handtools except for the front panel,I made it at work aswell as the wooden part of the floor.

• Upvote 1

This is my cockpit. It is influenced by Rodger Dodger but I didn't like the thinner tubing and some of the design elements. I created my own and this is my Gen I attempt. I used 1 1/4" PVC tubing and used Loctite's Liquid Nails equivalent for cementing the pieces together. This cement is better than PVC glue because it doesn't set immediately and you can adjust or remove pieces for several minutes. The cement hardens in about 30 minutes and is odor free in 24 hours (or so). I strongly suggest a good mitre saw and putting the whole thing together without glue first.

I'm training in helicopters IRL and doing quite a bit of simming in FSX helo's as well. I knew I wanted both controls so I made the throttle stand removable. I built the helicopter collective the same way and attached my old CH throttle. The CH is good for helicopters because there is no friction and it falls due to gravity. There is just a piece of 550 cord to the CH throttle for positive collective pull. I used some high quality grease on the PVC at the collective pivot because it had a little bit of friction which caused pauses in the collective throw and it affected hovering. The collective is heavy enough on it's own but I plan on filling the lower portion with sand for a little extra heft. It does not connect to the joystick stand.

I started with hand drawn plans and then discarded them pretty quickly other than how tall/wide/long I wanted the finished product to be. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do and just did rapid prototyping with the PVC as I went along. IT IS AWESOME for rapid prototyping. The two things I would change: make the collective slide onto the joystick stand and add a small extension to the bottom rear of the throttle stand for added stability. All in all I am happy with the project and won't work on a replacement for at least a year. I'm going to strip the manufacturers print but leave them unpainted. Melamine boards are screwed directly to the PVC. Peripherals not yet secured but completely stable. I've been playing on these stands for about two months now. Total cost for all three stands is around 150 bucks. (I wasted a bit of PVC and a couple of fittings in the process but not much.)

Collective, CH

Throttle/Joystick: Warthog. Joystick has the 10 cm Sahaj extension as marketed on these forums.

Pedals: MFG Crosswind

Headset: Sennheiser PC 350

Monitor is a 42" Sharp TV/monitor at 60hz - LOVE THIS!

post-1221-0-22040600-1409089606_thumb.jpg

post-1221-0-76295900-1409089612_thumb.jpg

post-1221-0-99493800-1409089621_thumb.jpg

post-1221-0-66020600-1409089651_thumb.jpg

post-1221-0-69118000-1409089662_thumb.jpg

Edited by A1FltTrn=HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

Already posted, but now with the new pedals.

Cheap wood, glue, some screw and transparent paint.

f4xPtI.jpg

oCitqi.jpg

lCBCtc.jpg

• Upvote 5

If you want I can write you a list of what I've used. I ordered all in full lengths like 500mm 600mm etc. because I have no garage or something where I can work at. Only a few small pieces I took over to where I work and cut it there. The rest I did with handtools except for the front panel,I made it at work aswell as the wooden part of the floor.

Thanks, but I'm still trying to save up my pennies for a new PC so an builds on a simpit are a long way off.  I bet those pieces are a pain to cut, they look really sturdy.

Derek

That´s my setup. What is not to be seen in this snapshot: I´m  using Saitek pedals since a long time, but Crosswinds are ordered and I´m yearningly waiting for the delivery announcement. :)

Damn flashlight, reveales all the dust... ;)

2wq9zwj.jpg

There are some awesome pits here. Mine's currently setup more for a GA role but I am looking to build a new one that is more fighter oriented. I have a build log of mine here:

I wanted to be able to swap out a flight yoke for a flight stick and also mount my saitek panels and a tablet so this is what I came up with

img_20130713_160541.jpg

The yoke can come out and the stick slides in. It's a little high but it works pretty good right now.

img_20130713_155629.jpg
  • Upvote 2

Very cool build, LOstSOul.  Simple, clean construction that looks very functional.  Does the game controller on the left in the first pic serve as your keyboard, assuming it has a full keypad?

Derek

Hi everyone

Cockpit.jpg

Blue skies

Nice setup! What kind of pedals are those?

S!

Imur6, the cockpit does not make you any better pilot ;) Sure it helps with ergonomics and all that, but making you a better pilot. No. Having one would be nice, and seeing the skill used to build these cockpits is great. Hat off to all the builders :)

post-8001-0-03951300-1411570891_thumb.jpgpost-8001-0-46002600-1411570924_thumb.jpgHere are Rudder Pedals that I made a while back. The Pedals themselves are captured in sliding dovetails and the movement and return to center is very smooth with no binding and no center detent. I never completed my original plan of using linear Hall Effect sensors, the only way I ever used them was jury rigged to a joystick. Initially the return springs were to to be under the Pedals in the center dado a much cleaner design. But I couldn't get that to work satisfactorily so I went with the 'T' arrangement and exposed springs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Very cool build, LOstSOul.  Simple, clean construction that looks very functional.  Does the game controller on the left in the first pic serve as your keyboard, assuming it has a full keypad?

Derek

Thanks, The controller is a Razer Nostromo. 

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Nostromo-PC-Gaming-Keypad/dp/B004AM5RB6

No idea why it's $200 bucks now. I paid $60 for mine. It's not a full keyboard but it's fully programmable with 3 profile levels along with a thumb mouse and joystick. It is really comfortable to use. I play a few FPS's with this setup and I can program it for each game which is nice. I have a few macro's defined for online chat.

Edited by L0stS0ul
  • Upvote 1

Wow that setup is a bomber dream right there. Awesome! I know I wish BoS would allow for more HOTAS rotaries to be put on an axis like every other sim. Roll and Rudder trim have to be on buttons right now...

This my pit at the moment. I must admit that I am quite biased towards Luftwaffe birds. Probably you would have never figured it out:) I know that I posted it before but I am still loving it and proud of it.
The throttleholder still needs some sorting out:P

8672584585_7bd451c76f_b.jpgUntitled by csaba.moharos, on Flickr

8732403148_e4b62c0e8a_b.jpgDSC_0816 by csaba.moharos, on Flickr

• Upvote 3