Major_Hero

Show us your cockpit!

Mine is still some kind of WIP or prototype - it's working well and is quite comfortable. But for the moment it won't

win a prize for its beauty.

1967050655_Leftcockpitconsole.thumb.jpg.a4fa2f61e976bfdd3ebde060b2f67171.jpg942905255_Centralview.thumb.jpg.0b7573949769954d5b208f1c5a58324d.jpg82300601_Rightcockpitconsole.thumb.jpg.56cc672f84dfc985c95e9a4a955105b7.jpg

Left cockpit console - central view - right cockpit console

616224494_Cockpitplatform.thumb.jpg.6ae2933c1d417f9439b0a31b94dffc3d.jpg

Cockpit is mounted on a sturdy platform with wheels in case I have to move the whole bunch.

Edited by -IRRE-Therion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon200 said:

To keep the joystick firmly planted on the desktop I used two pieces of 1" aluminum 90 deg stock screwed together and mounted on the base using existing holes (6" center) and glued a few pieces of the foam plumbing insulation to keep it from scratching the desk any more than it is.

1734985239_VKBthrottle.JPG.689e6da1febfc7344f39964bbc7c0b48.JPG

I also found 4" wheels for my office chair on Amazon to give me a 1" lift and better positions the joystick for my tastes.

Doesn't your joystick move when you pull on it ? I screw mine to the desk so it stays firmly attached at all times. It makes a world of difference. As you can imagine the joystick gets in the way when I am not gaming but I can still use my keyboard so it stays there permanently. Maybe I will buy tenkeyless keyboard like razer blackwidow lite to alleviate this problem. And a separate throttle like yours would be nice too. How do you attach it BTW ?

Edited by WheelwrightPL

25 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

And a separate throttle like yours would be nice too. How do you attach it BTW ?

The Thrustmaster throttle is just sitting on my desk. I move it to the side when using the keyboard.

IL*2 recognizes VKB throttle and rudder pedals as one unit and the Thrustmaster throttle as separate. I use the little throttle on the VKB joystick as propeller pitch control.

The joystick has two pieces of 90 deg angle screwed together to make a three sided box that keeps it on the desk. I need to sit close to my desk and joystick so pulling on the joystick isn't a problem. My right shoulder is dislocated and my upper arm is damaged. I didn't like the joystick lifting off the desk during violent maneuvers but also didn't want to hassle with clamping anything in place.

I very much admire the design and beauty of the sim pits shown in this thread. I only fly VR so my concern is with functionality rather than looks.

Another afterthought: I removed the arms from the chair to allow me to twist around and check six. Small trade off for the immersion of VR.

Edited by Gordon200
  • Upvote 2

A constant work in progress 😄

IMG_20181226_101859_5.jpg

IMG_20181226_102433_0.jpg

Edited by Goblin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Goblin said:

IMG_20181226_101859_5.jpg

Looks allright! May I suggest a fridge against that wall? :happy:

Just now, Heliopause said:

Looks allright! May I suggest a fridge against that wall? :happy:

When I move into the final "man cave" that's being finalised as office/sim room that might just happen 😄

My "pit" is just desk with swivel chair. Bought Warbrd/T-50CM and believed only option was to sit the base on my lap which put stick top near neck level, elbows resting on chair armrests. To more or less stabilize the base I bolted a piece of aluminum flat stock to forward edge of base. In wondering if I could find a way to accommodate a VKB Gunfighter Pro I placed the Warbrd under my desk on a cardboard box. The stick just barely cleared the front lip of the desk. I had to reach under the desk lip to operate the stick, resting my wrists on my thighs near the knees. Unexpectedly, I noticed better stick control than ever before. Where before I was near stall in turn fights the experimental setup allowed me to maintain higher speed in turns. So I built a wooden stand for the Warbrd. Journals in the storage space of the stand prevent stand movement and allow easy stand removal. I now have better appreciation of how the Virpil setup is best used. Using VR exclusively I sense nearly perfect relationship of virtual cockpit stick movement relative to that of the T-50. Grip's palm rest is irrelevant as stick movement is finger tip. I would never have guessed.pit5.thumb.jpg.349b635e87eb7674c806e8f4bfd6aca6.jpg

• Like 2

1. Old treadmill with Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog stand and Warthog stick mounting plate. BTW the MFG pedals fit perfectly into the predrilled holes.

2. Alienware Aurora R7 top config with 140Hz curvie on a Play25x wall mount. Tripp Lite sine wave to protect the 1TB SSD and 64GB fast RAM.

3. Redgragon clicky USB keyboard and wireless mouse.

4. $60 (Ebay sold as defective, forgot to load drivers) Blue Yeti Pro mic with integrated output sound card powering AKG702 with TrackIR LED bolted to it. (JBRadio FLAC 2000kbps 192kHz sound out of this world during breaks)

5. Pole mount shelves, keyboard tray.

6. Office waiting room chair on riser (those MFG Crosswinds rise pretty high up, risers help put hips back into neutral position)

7. Old diamond plate toolbox as step up onto the rig:)

The baement entrance sign reads:

"Man Cave. No wife, No Children, No Worries" kids got it for me actually. My HT and workshop also reside there.

Notice the NW pointing stick, ergonomics rock in this position for this right handed perpetual newb.

Cockpit Dec 2018.jpg

Edited by Kandiru
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 2:11 AM, Goblin said:

this is the strangest extension I've seen so far.. :)  the ingenuity trumps the looks.. :)     I've seen a variant with the hydraulic shocks instead of the rubber bands you got there. 

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2018 at 4:39 PM, -IRRE-Therion said:

Mine is still some kind of WIP or prototype - it's working well and is quite comfortable. But for the moment it won't

win a prize for its beauty.

1967050655_Leftcockpitconsole.thumb.jpg.a4fa2f61e976bfdd3ebde060b2f67171.jpg942905255_Centralview.thumb.jpg.0b7573949769954d5b208f1c5a58324d.jpg82300601_Rightcockpitconsole.thumb.jpg.56cc672f84dfc985c95e9a4a955105b7.jpg

Left cockpit console - central view - right cockpit console

616224494_Cockpitplatform.thumb.jpg.6ae2933c1d417f9439b0a31b94dffc3d.jpg

Cockpit is mounted on a sturdy platform with wheels in case I have to move the whole bunch.

You mountain people are so good with wood:)

Great looking setup, paint it in camo.

2 hours ago, Kandiru said:

You mountain people are so good with wood:)

Great looking setup, paint it in camo.

Nope - I won't paint this one - as I already said it's WIP or prototype. The last days I decided this to be a prototype. So, I will build

this again as new with some modifications of course. There are some good things on this one, but there are also things I have

to change. One thing that really needs to be reconsidered is the seat. Dimensions and shape are good to me, but hell, I really

need to change this cushioning - 15 minutes of flying and my ass starts hurting and I start to worry about hemorrhoids, damn!

37 minutes ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Nope - I won't paint this one - as I already said it's WIP or prototype. The last days I decided this to be a prototype. So, I will build

this again as new with some modifications of course. There are some good things on this one, but there are also things I have

to change. One thing that really needs to be reconsidered is the seat. Dimensions and shape are good to me, but hell, I really

need to change this cushioning - 15 minutes of flying and my ass starts hurting and I start to worry about hemorrhoids, damn!

I would recycle the seat and backrest from an old executive office chair, the trash container behind our office building always has 2-3 of those.

8 hours ago, Kandiru said:

I would recycle the seat and backrest from an old executive office chair, the trash container behind our office building always has 2-3 of those.

Well, of course I will recycle some material - the setup will be more or less the same. It's just that there are some details I don't like and I have

to think over it. For instance, the position and location of the rudder pedals will be definitely changed, because it was good enough for the Saitek

rudder pedals, but as I aim for a BAUR or THRUSTMASTER rudder system, this won't work very well with the actual position.

And both side consoles need some modification too. At the time when I built it, I added successively one controller by one. I started with my

RHINO combo and the Saitek rudder pedals, but added the throttle quadrant and trim wheel afterwards and to end up with the Saitek switch

panel, which actually was lying around nearly half a year just before I recently got an input on how to use it for IL2 GB.

That is an amazing job! Like sitting in an actual Spit pit. Did you manufacture everything yourself? 

Hats off. :good:

That air freshener though... :biggrin:;)

The left hand side ( excluding the lower switch panels,  air filter switch, flap control, reflector sight switch and nav lights ) and control column were bought from Spitfire Histories. I made the front panel, lower front, modded the pedals, made the seat and the right side panel...then added the chassis control unit from Spitfire Histories

Posted (edited)

That air freshener though... :biggrin:;)

Air fresheners were fitted as standard to later marks of spitfire at the Castle Bromwich factory lol

Edited by 602EAF_Puff

That’s an awesome looking pit, Puff. Trully amazing work. Are all, or majority of, the switches/dials/knobs wired and functional?

35 minutes ago, BP_Lizard said:

That’s an awesome looking pit, Puff. Trully amazing work. Are all, or majority of, the switches/dials/knobs wired and functional?

Yep, all the switches work...in game though, there aren't enough controls to assign to them...other games { study sims } allow me to use all of the switches and controls. It does make a massive difference to flying, take offs and landings, with a full size control column.

• Like 1

For anyone curious about bass shakers check out this video on my sturmovik rig.  The 20mm will literally rattle your teeth.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

P1090431_(2).JPG

P1090451 (2).JPG

I built an aluminium profile rig which I use for playing IL-2 in VR. I love my centre mounted VKB MCG Pro, will never go back to a side mounted stick. I have posted a video of the rig on YouTube and more info and pics can be found on IMGUR

Edited by Hunchy
Added links to YouTube video and IMGUR album
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

This is the VR sim pit I currently have. The center shaft allows the joystick mount to be moved up and allow for easier entry. I put the sub-woofer amp for base shaker on the side of my old desk just forward of the throttle.

When I'm a bad boy I have to sit in the corner.

100_0312.JPG

100_0313.JPG

But a variation of this design is what I'm considering building.

Edited by Gordon200
  • Like 2

Here's a cockpit I put together a few years ago. I tried to make it as compact as possible. The plan was to replace the keyboard with a more fleshed-out control panel, but before I could finish it we had to move house and circumstances meant the whole thing was scrapped.

pit1.thumb.jpg.37d2baf4c74d181313b48920657946a1.jpg

pit2.thumb.jpg.764d1dc4a4e317e333856b2b0b931dfd.jpg

These days I use VR and my setup is much simpler:

newpit.thumb.JPG.c7f9d61d98c47a61bbadbf9a30b2421a.JPG

I must admit that there are times I consider center mounting my stick on an extension. And then if I was going to do that may as well build a frame for the seat, pedals and controls. I could make it even more simple and compact than last time as I wouldn't need to worry about a monitor or full control panel.

One day, maybe...

• Like 1

Ahh simped vario pedals...nostaliga...they were my favourite until MFGs arrived....

14 minutes ago, blackram said:

Ahh simped vario pedals...nostaliga...they were my favourite until MFGs arrived....

The Crosswinds look nice. If the Simpeds ever die I'll probably get some. 12 years old and going strong...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lightbulbjim said:

The Crosswinds look nice. If the Simpeds ever die I'll probably get some. 12 years old and going strong...

Both are superb but MFGs are super customizable and a bit more precise. Ofcourse, just run your simpeds as long as you can. They are just fantastic. If I may suggest to upgrade your hotas to VKB or Virpil. You can pick T50 or Gunfighter and still use your TH throttle and (if want) warthog grip (adapter needed).

Edited by blackram

8 hours ago, blackram said:

If I may suggest to upgrade your hotas to VKB or Virpil. You can pick T50 or Gunfighter and still use your TH throttle and (if want) warthog grip (adapter needed).

For desktop use I don't see the point - what I have works well. If I was using an extension then I'd look into a Virpil base if the NXT gimbal springs weren't strong enough. I'd probably keep the Cougar grip and throttle as I like them both.

To be honest I'd upgrade my pedals before my stick. The Simpeds are good but I like the idea of progressive resistance with no center detent, which the Crosswinds provide. Still not in any hurry though, unless something breaks.

Pretty barebones compared to previous ones I built from scratch. It serves very well though. :)

20190314_141101.jpg

• Upvote 1

everyone's cockpit is so neat and clean.. i'm afraid of posting my mess.. 😄 

11 hours ago, -99th-Buddy said:

image0.jpgThere you go moosya, lol 

obligatory duct tape.. 😄  

that hole in the seat though.. omg. 😄     "Splintered Balls"  😄

ok.. I guess anything goes here.. :)   Here's mine..

20190315_120846.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IV./JG51-H_Steinbaur said:

Moosya ... Im VR also , but why that loudspeaker ??

don't you see a monitor on top of it? 😄  that its sole purpose..

20 minutes ago, IV./JG51-H_Steinbaur said:

Moosya ... Im VR also , but why that loudspeaker ??

Because this is how @-99th-moosya sims, man. 😉

DF85E20A-34A9-48A3-B7C6-3FC778692D1F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5