Jump to content

New PWCG Issues Thread


PatrickAWlson
 Share

Recommended Posts

Varibraun
3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

If you still have the mission can you post it?

 

Hi Pat - Unfortunately not.  I had already completed the next mission before thinking about @grcurmudgeon's post and have my settings to clear all the old missions. 

 

The one thing I can add, is that the target was an Airfield, and likely due to my "structure" and "ground" density settings of low, there were no buildings or ground targets at the objective airfield which was just east of Koln (most of the buildings east of the river were also missing).  That may be a red herring, but just wanted to let you know.  

 

On the good news front, since I had no targets, I dropped 2 1000lb bombs on a bridge instead and got my first ever bridge kill. :dance:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DD_Fenrir

Hey Pat,

 

As part of the Coop Bodenplatte P-38 campaign I have been running we have reached the 25th of December 1944 and the German Ardennes offensive has overrun our home airfield of Florennes.

 

Question 1 - what will happen if we attempt to spawn/takeoff/land at the base whilst it's behind enemy lines?

Question 2 - can I edit the frontline to alter it?

 

In reality the offensive never quite reached Dinant and certainly never crossed the Meuse, where PWCG has it almost reaching Charleroi. If the frontline can be edited which parameters should I be looking for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

216th_Nocke

Hi Pat,

Recently I have had some missions where flights supposed to attack ground targets just keep circling forever at the target ingress point.
Here is the last one: I was in a flight of Mc202 covering He111s.
All goes well until shortly before the target - again the He111s start circling forever.

Hope this helps, and thx for your great work!

And I almost forgot: The error zip initially contained all the missions I had in my missions folder, not only the last one,
which made it really big. I deleted all but the last one, where this happened, but maybe you could change that so it includes only the last one or two when one presses the "report error" button?

italiano20210715220765.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Startrek66
9 hours ago, 216th_Nocke said:

Hi Pat,

Recently I have had some missions where flights supposed to attack ground targets just keep circling forever at the target ingress point.
Here is the last one: I was in a flight of Mc202 covering He111s.
All goes well until shortly before the target - again the He111s start circling forever.

Hope this helps, and thx for your great work!

And I almost forgot: The error zip initially contained all the missions I had in my missions folder, not only the last one,
which made it really big. I deleted all but the last one, where this happened, but maybe you could change that so it includes only the last one or two when one presses the "report error" button?

italiano20210715220765.zip 835.28 kB · 0 downloads

In the past it also happened to me always in escort to He111.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

justin_z3r0

Hi Pat - I've been playing the Ace of Aces Challenge as Normandie Pilot. I lost my pilot to the enemy (captured). I cannot seem to add a new pilot in the admin screen to (take take over where the last guy ended). I have done this many times in other careers before version 13.0.

If you lose your one and only pilot administered - does that essentially end the campaign? If I had administered more pilots earlier would that have made a difference? I usually have at least 2 on the go (one per side), but I didnt in this particular campaign.

I generated an error log.

PWCGErrorLog.txt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

justin_z3r0
5 hours ago, justin_z3r0 said:

Hi Pat - I've been playing the Ace of Aces Challenge as Normandie Pilot. I lost my pilot to the enemy (captured). I cannot seem to add a new pilot in the admin screen to (take take over where the last guy ended). I have done this many times in other careers before version 13.0.

If you lose your one and only pilot administered - does that essentially end the campaign? If I had administered more pilots earlier would that have made a difference? I usually have at least 2 on the go (one per side), but I didnt in this particular campaign.

I generated an error log.

PWCGErrorLog.txt 8.55 kB · 0 downloads

I found a work around - I reactivated the downed pilot so I could take leave. I then activated a new pilot then retired the original. Could it be that the date I lost the first pilot was a date which there was no activity and hence no squadron for me to pick when trying to activate anew?

In any case - I'm all set up with a new pilot and second attempt at besting Albert with the Normandie-Niemen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 9:37 PM, 216th_Nocke said:

Hi Pat,

Recently I have had some missions where flights supposed to attack ground targets just keep circling forever at the target ingress point.
Here is the last one: I was in a flight of Mc202 covering He111s.
All goes well until shortly before the target - again the He111s start circling forever.

Hope this helps, and thx for your great work!

And I almost forgot: The error zip initially contained all the missions I had in my missions folder, not only the last one,
which made it really big. I deleted all but the last one, where this happened, but maybe you could change that so it includes only the last one or two when one presses the "report error" button?

italiano20210715220765.zip 835.28 kB · 0 downloads

 

I am having similar issues. 

 

This has happened several times, including encountering AI flights that appear to be circling forever (they could be waiting for an escort of something so I haven't posted) 

 

But in the latest mission I was in 109 F4  escorting mc202, and they traveled to the way point before  the Escort Target way point and just circled forever. Even just ignored enemy fighters when they arrived. 

 

Edit: I just completed an intercept mission in 109 F4 where I encountered a 3 enemy flights (2 fighters, 1 pe2) and 1 friendly flight (ju87) and all 4 flights continuosly circled for the 30 minute duration of the mission, regardless of what was happening around them, including some continuously over aa getting damaged. I'm pretty new to IL-2 and even newer to the mod, so I'm unsure if this is normal behaviour, but the main attraction of the mod was to see other squadrons go about their business but if its just circling its a little immersion breaking. 

Now I've thought about it, despite encountering friendly and enemy bombers on other mission, I've never seen a ground target be destroyed by anything other than other ground units in any mission (while watching or in the log) . 

 

I don't mean to disparage all your hard work by the way Pat, I'm having a blast with squadron management and mission planning and everything else. 

Edited by jroy22
New info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

In the Iconic Missions generation screen, both Kuban Shipping and Kuban Kerch Amph Assault have missing GenerateMission buttons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hastati

Very minor typographical one, but the surname "Jackson" in the American namepool is lowercased.

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varibraun
On 7/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, PatrickAWlson said:

If you still have the mission can you post it?

 

Got another one with the circling waypoint prior to the final target mission tonight so am posting this one for you.  FYI @grcurmudgeon's workaround to just continue past the "continuous circle" waypoint toward the target area worked again.

Aces over the Rhine202107182107145.zip

Edited by Varibraun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
3 hours ago, Varibraun said:

 

Got another one with the circling waypoint prior to the final target mission tonight so am posting this one for you.  FYI @grcurmudgeon's workaround to just continue past the "continuous circle" waypoint toward the target area worked again.

Aces over the Rhine202107182107145.zip 2.1 MB · 0 downloads

 

Thanks.  When I looked at the code I noticed that the target approach WP was the exact same distance as the from the WP as the check zone radius.  That means no room for rounding error.  I moved the target WP 1KM closer to the actual target, allowing a 1000 meter overlap.  Hoping that does the trick.  13.0.2.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hetzer-JG51

I've had a few "circling waypoint' experiences, I figured they were intended until my last mission where the 110s we were supposed to be escorting just circled at the rendevous waypoint. Needless to say we left them to it when we spotted a bunch of A20s. 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CrazyJow

It may have been answer, but I didn't come across anything that answered my question. 

Are the Griffon Spitfire Mk.XIV available to use? I have only found the Mk IX. 

 

image.png.06426c57f5966ae041c541ebca6b47bf.png

 

These are the only 2 Spitfire Squadrons I get, one for England and one for Canada.

 

 

image.png.beb61a546b2b7980d0a33a8c47e29254.pngimage.png.1c93593eb2bf4c463eaea584e27f8da9.png

 

 

If its not out yet, that's fine. I was just curious. I just was thinking as writing this. Is the MkVB not there as well for a reason? Historical? I don't know much about that stuff other than the plane looks cool and the obvious name, so i don't know if it was ran by the Brits and Canadians or just export. Thank you in advance

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varibraun
2 hours ago, CrazyJow said:

If its not out yet, that's fine. I was just curious.

 

The 66th will transition to the XIV and I think a couple of other Spit squadrons will come online as you get through the campaign.  I just checked my late war campaign and there are 2 IX and 2 XIV squadrons in March 45.

 

VB isn't in the western campaign due to being phased out by the squadron's Pat includes with the September 44 start.  Once the BoN map is out, I am sure Pat will make rapid progress to bring us an earlier western campaign with the VBs.  You can fly them in the East on the Kuban map though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
2 hours ago, CrazyJow said:

It may have been answer, but I didn't come across anything that answered my question. 

Are the Griffon Spitfire Mk.XIV available to use? I have only found the Mk IX. 

 

image.png.06426c57f5966ae041c541ebca6b47bf.png

 

These are the only 2 Spitfire Squadrons I get, one for England and one for Canada.

 

 

image.png.beb61a546b2b7980d0a33a8c47e29254.pngimage.png.1c93593eb2bf4c463eaea584e27f8da9.png

 

 

If its not out yet, that's fine. I was just curious. I just was thinking as writing this. Is the MkVB not there as well for a reason? Historical? I don't know much about that stuff other than the plane looks cool and the obvious name, so i don't know if it was ran by the Brits and Canadians or just export. Thank you in advance

 

 

 

The VB is currently available flying for Russia in Kuban.  

The XIV shows up in November 1944 with 41 and 66 squadrons.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Highwayman
3 minutes ago, Hetzer-JG51 said:

Bit weird this one. All enemy units in good supply, high density air on, scramble mission but not a single ea plane was in the air.

JG51202107211407303.zip 2.02 MB · 0 downloads

I’ve seen something similar in the past, it turned out that the enemy squadrons had a large number of injuries and despite having plenty of airframes, and enough pilots, most of the squadrons showed as red in the intelligence section. An emergency resupply fixed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hetzer-JG51

Only two showing red.
I should have added that we've been seeing mighty few ea in the air since going into the Stalingrad map.

Just checked, all are in the black actually.

Edit: Next mission, so many ea in the air the game turned into a slide-show. Lol.

Edited by Hetzer-JG51
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No105_Swoose

Salute! Pat Wilson! Bottom Line Up Front: Why did the PWCG debrief report my pilot as KIA when, in the game, he had successfully flown the mission and landed?  Background: 811th ShAP out of Kalachinskaya (Stalingrad map) on 3/30 and 4/4 1942.  Reference pilot was Sr Lt AA Volkov.  For what it's worth, I had used another reference pilot for about 15 missions before using Volkov again.  During that time the squadron had transitioned from the Moscow to the Stalingrad map.  When I flew missions on 3/30 and 4/4 Volkov successfully attacked targets.  Although hit by flak, he managed to land his damaged IL-2 at airfields.  Unfortunately, debriefs for both missions reported Volkov as KIA and his aircraft as a loss.  After the 3/30 mission I used your excellent pilot administrative function to reactivate Volkov.  I flew another mission with him on 4/4 but same result: successfully flew the mission in the game, damaged by flak, but not wounded and managed to land OK.  For the time being I've decided not to reactivate Volkov although it would be a shame to end his career after 38 successful missions racking up a large number of ground kills.  I realize that in the big scope of PWCG this is probably an "orphan" problem and may be unique to my configuration.  If you can get to it and examine the problem, great.  If not, no big deal, I'll fly with my new pilot but avoid taking any long gaps with another pilot.

IL-2 Odyssey 1942-04-04.zip IL-2 Odyssey202107211007196.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hetzer-JG51
15 minutes ago, No105_Swoose said:

Salute! Pat Wilson! Bottom Line Up Front: Why did the PWCG debrief report my pilot as KIA when, in the game, he had successfully flown the mission and landed?  Background: 811th ShAP out of Kalachinskaya (Stalingrad map) on 3/30 and 4/4 1942.  Reference pilot was Sr Lt AA Volkov.  For what it's worth, I had used another reference pilot for about 15 missions before using Volkov again.  During that time the squadron had transitioned from the Moscow to the Stalingrad map.  When I flew missions on 3/30 and 4/4 Volkov successfully attacked targets.  Although hit by flak, he managed to land his damaged IL-2 at airfields.  Unfortunately, debriefs for both missions reported Volkov as KIA and his aircraft as a loss.  After the 3/30 mission I used your excellent pilot administrative function to reactivate Volkov.  I flew another mission with him on 4/4 but same result: successfully flew the mission in the game, damaged by flak, but not wounded and managed to land OK.  For the time being I've decided not to reactivate Volkov although it would be a shame to end his career after 38 successful missions racking up a large number of ground kills.  I realize that in the big scope of PWCG this is probably an "orphan" problem and may be unique to my configuration.  If you can get to it and examine the problem, great.  If not, no big deal, I'll fly with my new pilot but avoid taking any long gaps with another pilot.

IL-2 Odyssey 1942-04-04.zip 209.13 kB · 0 downloads IL-2 Odyssey202107211007196.zip 720.58 kB · 0 downloads


It's a 'bug' that Pat knows about and is fixing, until then re-activate your pilot, it's legit. :)

Edited by Hetzer-JG51
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CrazyJow
7 hours ago, Varibraun said:

 

The 66th will transition to the XIV and I think a couple of other Spit squadrons will come online as you get through the campaign.  I just checked my late war campaign and there are 2 IX and 2 XIV squadrons in March 45.

 

VB isn't in the western campaign due to being phased out by the squadron's Pat includes with the September 44 start.  Once the BoN map is out, I am sure Pat will make rapid progress to bring us an earlier western campaign with the VBs.  You can fly them in the East on the Kuban map though.

 

Awesome thank you. I look forward to BON with VB. I like that one quite a lot. 

 

 

7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

The VB is currently available flying for Russia in Kuban.  

The XIV shows up in November 1944 with 41 and 66 squadrons.

 

 

Thank you 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varibraun
10 hours ago, No105_Swoose said:

Bottom Line Up Front: Why did the PWCG debrief report my pilot as KIA when, in the game, he had successfully flown the mission and landed? 

 

Hi Swoose - Just checking to be sure you updated to 13.0.1:

 

13.0.1
Fixed Inadvertently killing off player pilots once they get good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No105_Swoose
1 hour ago, Varibraun said:

 

Hi Swoose - Just checking to be sure you updated to 13.0.1:

 

13.0.1
Fixed Inadvertently killing off player pilots once they get good.

Doh..."Operator headspace and timing" as we used to say in the Army....I must have missed the notice of the update somehow.  Thanks for the heads up.  Now patched to 13.0.1.  BTW, really enjoyed the Ace of Aces challenge you set up.  It made for some of the best flying and game play I've had with IL-2: Great Battles and PWCG.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hastati

Not sure if this counts as a bug or not, but air starts are a little close for comfort to the mission objective itself, causing all sorts of weird pathing when squadrons need to link up with friendly ones for a shared mission, especially near map edge. For instance here the air start is going PAST the ingress point in order to link up with their scort, then pulling a 180 back to the ingress point with only 3mi to nail the maneuver. Would it perhaps be better for air starts to be a couple more miles back from where the meat of the mission begins to allow some breathing room? Not far enough to really impact mission times, mind you, maybe an extra minute or two of travel time.

 

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
2 hours ago, No105_Swoose said:

Doh..."Operator headspace and timing" as we used to say in the Army....I must have missed the notice of the update somehow.  Thanks for the heads up.  Now patched to 13.0.1.  BTW, really enjoyed the Ace of Aces challenge you set up.  It made for some of the best flying and game play I've had with IL-2: Great Battles and PWCG.

 

As pointed out above, you can restore the pilot.  My bad on the bug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

meplanes1969
On 7/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

In the Iconic Missions generation screen, both Kuban Shipping and Kuban Kerch Amph Assault have missing GenerateMission buttons.

same for me,love your work by the way 👋

as i would like the iconic kuban missions to fly a make believe flying tigers mission

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
5 hours ago, meplanes1969 said:

same for me,love your work by the way 👋

as i would like the iconic kuban missions to fly a make believe flying tigers mission

 

Got a fix in place.  Will be available next release.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varibraun
22 hours ago, No105_Swoose said:

"Operator headspace and timing" as we used to say in the Army

 

Maybe this will help...tell me that doesn't take you back! :salute: :poster_offtopic:

 

image.png.4d40d07b0fe98c512f50d711235bb9c1.png

Edited by Varibraun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duce_de_Zoop

Hey Pat, awesome mod you've got here. Makes my ground-pounder missions a lot more fun, but I've run into a strange issue.

 

I tried a mission twice to destroy a bridge; both times I impacted the wooden bridge with bombs, but all I got credit for was the trucks destroyed.

 

I took this screenshot (yeah with the hud on, dont wory i keep it off while flying, im still learning the ropes) to show: You can see the trucks destroyed, you can see the bridge collapsed, but I only got credit for the trucks.

 

My wingman got the steel bridge down and got credit. Do wooden bridges not count? Even though that was what the trucks chose to drive over? 

 

This isn't a huge deal, but I'm just wondering why neither il-2 nor PWCG want to credit me with a destroyed bridge. They're my absolute favorite missions so its a bit of a bummer this didn't count towards my medals. 

 

(also, as an aside, and this might not be relevant to PWCG specifically; how do you topple those steel bridges? do you need a bomb with a certain load? does it require multiple hits? i dropped a 100lber directly on a steel bridge and it was fine, but my wingman got it just fine. how do i topple those suckers?)

20210725144832_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson

Hard to say.  One of two things comes to mind.

1. For performance reasons PWCG cannot instrument every structure in a manner that its demise will be recorded.  Usually bridges immediately in the target area should be instrumented, but maybe this particular bridge was outside the zone?

2. PWCG knows something is a bridge by the name.  Maybe the name of the bridge is a bit different and PWCG does not recognize it as a bridge?

 

If you press "Report Error" and post the zip I can do an analysis of the logs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hetzer-JG51

Hi Pat. :)
This is another escort mission where the planes to be escorted just circle endlessly at the rendevous. I've yet to see one where they do otherwise unfortunately.

JG51202107311307437.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

grcurmudgeon
On 7/19/2021 at 1:04 AM, PatrickAWlson said:

 

Thanks.  When I looked at the code I noticed that the target approach WP was the exact same distance as the from the WP as the check zone radius.  That means no room for rounding error.  I moved the target WP 1KM closer to the actual target, allowing a 1000 meter overlap.  Hoping that does the trick.  13.0.2.

On 13.0.2 I just received a mission to attack a bridge, and had the same issue crop up again. Error report attached, it's the Litvyak 05-14 ground attack mission (most recent one).

Litvyak202107311007365.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Pat, this seems to happen with the LAGG 3.

 

I spawn in, and have a flight leader.   He immediately taxis in a circle and crashes into the rest of us waiting to take off. 

 

PWCGErrorLog.txt German All Maps202108021208699.zip

On 7/31/2021 at 5:29 AM, Hetzer-JG51 said:

Hi Pat. :)
This is another escort mission where the planes to be escorted just circle endlessly at the rendevous. I've yet to see one where they do otherwise unfortunately.

JG51202107311307437.zip 2.14 MB · 0 downloads

That seems to happen to me quite a bit.   As well, I've had it happen that once near the target, your flight endlessly circles..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

grcurmudgeon
17 hours ago, Vishnu said:

As well, I've had it happen that once near the target, your flight endlessly circles..

That's the report I posted just above. There was an attempt to fix this in the latest but it does not appear to have worked. To get around it you continue on towards the target, then the waypoint will switch and your flight will make their run. Your choice if you want to circle back and rejoin them or make your pass first.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hetzer-JG51

Maybe some confusion here. It's not my own flight that circles, it's planes (usually bombers) from another unit that circle endlessly. My brother said maybe I'm supposed to activate them when we meet up with a radio command or something but I'm not aware of any such function.

Edited by Hetzer-JG51
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stonehouse

Just drawing your attention to this WIP group stuff being developed Patrick in case you'd not seen it. Hamaha15 has a collection of other editor groups for the Rheinland map that may be of use to you as well. Apologies if it has already been mentioned to you.

 

 

Edited by Stonehouse
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varibraun
On 7/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, justin_z3r0 said:

Hi Pat - I've been playing the Ace of Aces Challenge as Normandie Pilot. I lost my pilot to the enemy (captured). I cannot seem to add a new pilot in the admin screen to (take take over where the last guy ended). I have done this many times in other careers before version 13.0.

If you lose your one and only pilot administered - does that essentially end the campaign? If I had administered more pilots earlier would that have made a difference? I usually have at least 2 on the go (one per side), but I didnt in this particular campaign.

 

Hi @PatrickAWlson - FYI, I just had the same issue Justin describes above in my single pilot Ace of Aces campaign.  Error log attached.  I haven't seen this before, but I am always running at least 2 pilots like Justin was, so that is likely the issue where the death of the only pilot in the campaign prevents it from continuing.  You can get into the pilot creation screen, but when you get to the squadron selection the dropdown is blank and you can't get any further.

 

I used the workaround suggested by Justin by reviving poor Uri, took a day of leave (which appeared to be necessary) and then was able to create the new pilot.  (I also created a "placeholder" pilot so it doesn't reoccur in this campaign).  I will just kill off Uri #1 since I want him to stay on the aces board as KIA.

Ace of Aces202108081608699.zip

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Startrek66

Hi Pat, maybe I found a problem. I created a campaign with the Regia Areonautica in the map of Stalingrad and after a mission in late May 1942, the 22 group is transferred on June 5 on the map of Kuban. It can't be. The 22 group was never transferred to Popovicheskaya.  The 22nd Group returned to Italy on 4 May 1942, leaving the aircraft to the successor 21st Group. Subsequently the 21st Group On 18 January 1943 retreats definitively to Italy.

Pat, can you correct this historical inaccuracy?

Thanks.

 

PWCG version 12.3.1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DD_Fenrir

Hi Pat,

 

Getting a persistent AAR error in our Bodenplatte P-38 campaign; first occurred in 13.0.1 but also under 13.0.3 and its preventing any further progression

 

Could you take a look?

 

I have a custom AirfieldLocations.json and custom squadrons which I have attached.

 

 

Lightning Strikes MissionAnalysis.txt Lightning Strikes20210809000802.zip Squadron.zip AirfieldLocations.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nialloh6

HI Pat,

 

How do I install the skin packs from your website?

Also, how do I know if its installed?

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...