On 12/25/2020 at 10:20 AM, DD_fruitbat said:

Been doing some SEAD in the Viper, not quite as relaxing, but my favourite mission profile at the moment.....

Using both HARMS in HAS mode for closer in and RUK mode for stand off against longer range threats.

RUK mode,

From the Jurassic POV...it's considered bad form to climb toward a threat at 250 KIAS. :blush:

Jurassic Technique: Single ship takeoffs with full AB (20 seconds spacing in case you have to abort) when hauling iron, come out of AB at 300 KIAS, accelerate to 350 KIAS and climb out at that speed until ~.80 to .84 mach. Set your power to ~90% rpm (or a bit more if you're really heavy) which gives your wingmen some power to play with.

Jurassic Technique: If you're using a stand off weapon that requires no input from you once it's released/fired then consider turning away to egress or put the threat off your wingtip so their return fire has to work harder (you've reduced your Vc -- velocity of closure) and to generate potential line of sight problems. Going for multiple targets? Consider S turning (think of it as a worm maneuver) as you fly toward your targets to stay out of the heart of their envelope whilst giving you more time to target and engage.

Jurassic Technique: When using chaff/flares employ them during your hard/break turn, not before you maneuver. If you're pumping out flares don't use AB.

Jurassic Consideration: Flying toward your target whilst supersonic does impart some kinetic energy for your weapon (a little bit of oomph) you are now forcing yourself to fly a HUGE turn circle if you try to maneuver. So consider "standing the throttle up" (physically straight up) or go Idle AND fan the speedbrakes to slowdown below the mach if you must maneuver defensively. Corner velocity is a range of speeds approximately 350-450 KIAS (whilst subsonic).

Jurassic Consideration: Have an airspeed in mind that if you get defensive, and you are below that speed Emergency Jettison your external stores. The pylons with missile rails are probably not "carted" (they don't have explosive cartridges to jettison the weapon). In your case only the wing tanks would probably jettison. I was an A model guy so I'm clueless about HARM carriage, but air to air missiles won't jettison. 350 KIAS was the number we used.

• Thanks 5
37 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

This is the way 😬

Now your screwed 

Just like that, see you next December

Wait until he sees the Mosquito and the Hind. :cool:

I tell ya, I'm in love with the Blackshark. I was never good with the Huey, but I'm doing circuits on the Supercarrier with the Ka-50, landing and takeoff, and nailing almost every one. (Almost.) Gotta try a rough sea landing on a cruiser. At Night. That's a challenge. I've even managed to do that thing where you hover behind a hill or a building, pop up just enough to see the target, and then sink back down. Haven't done it with weapons yet, just getting the maneuver down. Still fiddling with the laser guided missiles. I still seem to miss a step pretty often and then it buggers me up. 

In any case, the whole bloody province is locked down for the next two-weeks. Everything is closed except for groceries and there's little to no visiting going on. Sooooo... there's time to fly.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Wait until he sees the Mosquito and the Hind. :cool:

I tell ya, I'm in love with the Blackshark. I was never good with the Huey, but I'm doing circuits on the Supercarrier with the Ka-50, landing and takeoff, and nailing almost every one. (Almost.) Gotta try a rough sea landing on a cruiser. At Night. That's a challenge. I've even managed to do that thing where you hover behind a hill or a building, pop up just enough to see the target, and then sink back down. Haven't done it with weapons yet, just getting the maneuver down. Still fiddling with the laser guided missiles. I still seem to miss a step pretty often and then it buggers me up. 

In any case, the whole bloody province is locked down for the next two-weeks. Everything is closed except for groceries and there's little to no visiting going on. Sooooo... there's time to fly.

Yeah I love the KA-50. Only bird I actually learned to fly some combat with.

Powerful weapons too.

Once you get that trimmer down pat, it is a beauty to fly.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah I love the KA-50. Only bird I actually learned to fly some combat with.

Powerful weapons too.

Once you get that trimmer down pat, it is a beauty to fly.

You're right about that, it's all about the trimmer. I watched a couple of tutorials from different people explaining the trimmer and the always-on autopilot and had a helicoptorial epiphany; "Ahhh... that's how it works!" After that it was smooth flying.

And no kidding about the weapons, 12 anti-tank missiles and two 1000lb bombs. Not bad for a helicopter. :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

You're right about that, it's all about the trimmer. I watched a couple of tutorials from different people explaining the trimmer and the always-on autopilot and had a helicoptorial epiphany; "Ahhh... that's how it works!" After that it was smooth flying.

And no kidding about the weapons, 12 anti-tank missiles and two 1000lb bombs. Not bad for a helicopter. :biggrin:

Have you passed targets to your wingmen via datalink and have them go after those yet? I think I am remembering that right. Maybe.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, dburne said:

Have you passed targets to your wingmen via datalink and have them go after those yet? I think I am remembering that right. Maybe.

You just mark and send. Long time since I did it. But pretty straight forward

5 hours ago, dburne said:

Yes, right after I split the atom and made a perfect soufflé. :cool:

Actually, no. That might take a little more time. My brain is rather small and I can only handle so many tasks before going fetal in a freak out. It does sound cool though, I'm going to watch some tutorials on that. It would be kind of fun to draw fire and watch the other guy pound on them when their backs are turned.

I'll try it tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, dburne said:

That bit works quite well. Getting said wingmen to the location in a fashion that is a) likely to keep them alive and b) looks relatively realistic is more difficult. The low level AI helo routines in DCS are pretty poor at present.

3 hours ago, BOO said:

That bit works quite well. Getting said wingmen to the location in a fashion that is a) likely to keep them alive and b) looks relatively realistic is more difficult. The low level AI helo routines in DCS are pretty poor at present.

Yes, I stopped sending them ahead for recce. That is always a death sentence. And why they insist getting close while attacking is a misery 

Yeah, thought I'd try the Tomcat again myself, while it's free-to-play. A quick land-based hop yesterday was uneventful, so I set myself up to try carrier ops today. Which went well enough for the first few seconds of flight, until I forgot to retract the flaps. After a great deal of buffeting, and some puzzled fiddling about wondering why the wings wouldn't go back, I finally twigged. Too late, the flaps were well and truly jammed in the down position. Since I was well overweight, and not entirely sure I hadn't damaged anything else (it seemed to be rolling to one side slightly), it seemed prudent to find a nice long runway to land on instead. 

Tomorrow, I am going to read through Chuck's Guide again first, and then fly the damn thing. I really shouldn't be trying to do things from memory. 😳

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Nice eye candy! Is it flyable or static? 

I'm having a terrible time installing skins into (Steam) DCS. Haven't got a single skin to work even though I followed the tutorials. Think I failed with one or two mods as well. Better watch another tutorial.

I can land a Tomcat too. 😛

There are plenty of good videos available showing how to land the DCS F-14 properly. This one doesn't. Though it does show that as long as the rest of the aircraft is in the right place, moving in the right direction, when your hook hits the wire, everything that happens before doesn't really matter. 

Since I'd only landed this thing maybe two or three times before, and that was about six months ago, I knew it wasn't going to be elegant. So to avoid upsetting the LSO, I didn't tell him I was coming. Recommended, for minimum unnecessary distractions. I'll go around if and when I feel like it, thank you...

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Nice eye candy! Is it flyable or static? 

I'm having a terrible time installing skins into (Steam) DCS. Haven't got a single skin to work even though I followed the tutorials. Think I failed with one or two mods as well. Better watch another tutorial.

Its AI and based on the S3. Apparently they are working on the FM. Not sure if that means client "flyable" in any meaningful sense though given its core ECM mission isnt modelled in DCS and its a 4 crew aircraft. Still...nice to have aboard

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I can land a Tomcat too. 😛

There are plenty of good videos available showing how to land the DCS F-14 properly. This one doesn't. Though it does show that as long as the rest of the aircraft is in the right place, moving in the right direction, when your hook hits the wire, everything that happens before doesn't really matter. 

Since I'd only landed this thing maybe two or three times before, and that was about six months ago, I knew it wasn't going to be elegant. So to avoid upsetting the LSO, I didn't tell him I was coming. Recommended, for minimum unnecessary distractions. I'll go around if and when I feel like it, thank you...

My video definitely isn't one of the good videos, of how to land the F-14 properly either!!!

It just has a Tomcat in it, so its automatically cool :dance:

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

LSO's view of the above landing. not quite lined up, and coming in a little steep. 😃

TC-LSO-1.png

TC-LSO-2.png

From TacView, it looks like my vertical speed was over 1,400 ft/min. I'd probably have punched the landing gear right through the deck.

Edited by AndyJWest
2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

LSO's view of the above landing. not quite lined up, and coming in a little steep. 😃

From TacView, it looks like my vertical speed was over 1,400 ft/min. I'd probably have punched the landing gear right through the deck.

Well I think your policy of keeping the LSO out of the loop is sensible in any case. So long as you make it, what’s happens beforehand is none of his business after all.

14 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

So there I am, having a lovely drive up the coast towards Lebanon, and I notice a sign for French tourism. Time travel even.

20201229164937_1 - Copy.jpg

DCS is better from the air. Never understood the desire to drive in a map so (necessarily) generically detailed and low res that it cannot possibly represent the real world to any convincing degree up close. Bad enough in a helo.   I just dont get the desire/over -optimism on the part of devs various over the years to even try to combine land and air warfare in a single map and moreover persist with it. GB at least recognizes this with its higher res tank maps but even they still fall someway short at present me).  Each to their own though. 

BTW that billboard is the wrong way around or on the wrong side of the road (take your pick) and, more commonly, such billboards tend use a centrally positioned pole from what Ive seen. Like I say, details.....lack of .....much better at 500mph and/or 15000ft , ya-de-ya. 

Shame also that they insist on plugging their products instead of making art for those signs that actually fits the map. 

8 minutes ago, BOO said:

DCS is better from the air. Never understood the desire to drive in a map so (necessarily) generically detailed and low res that it cannot possibly represent the real world to any convincing degree up close. Bad enough in a helo.   I just dont get the desire/over -optimism on the part of devs various over the years to even try to combine land and air warfare in a single map and moreover persist with it. GB at least recognizes this with its higher res tank maps but even they still fall someway short at present me).  Each to their own though. 

BTW that billboard is the wrong way around or on the wrong side of the road (take your pick) and, more commonly, such billboards tend use a centrally positioned pole from what Ive seen. Like I say, details.....lack of .....much better at 500mph and/or 15000ft , ya-de-ya. 

Shame also that they insist on plugging their products instead of making art for those signs that actually fits the map. 

I thought the sign was kinda funny. There are even sailboats with DCS on the sail. It's a game and ya gotta have some fun.  

A lot of the ground is low res up close to be sure, and some of the vehicle mechanics are a bit on the arcade side of things (I'm being polite), but there is some decent ground action to be had if you're willing to go with the flow and accept the limitations. There are a dozens of ground vehicles to use and some of them are good fun, especially the AAA. I went tearing through an airbase last night in a HUMVEE at 80MPH with a .50cal on top shooting up Migs on the ground like a la Desert Rats. It was entertaining in its own way. And as the vehicles get better textures and better maps come out, it gets more enjoyable. 

Combined arms is about $30 on sale and there's actually a lot to it. 

5 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I thought the sign was kinda funny. There are even sailboats with DCS on the sail. It's a game and ya gotta have some fun.  

Combined arms is about $30 on sale and there's actually a lot to it. 

Totally agree - and I do - lots. Mission building in DCS is actually fun and pretty user friendly and thats how i spend my time mostly. And i learn about stuff whilst doing it (confession - until my last KA50 mission I thought South Ossetia wasnt a real thing - deep apologies to any South Ossetians - I do acknowledge your existence now - but you still lose on this occasion - well y'gotta pick a side)

Just not driving though 🙂  By the way - do those boats move whilst on the sail? 😉 Again not something you notice at 500mph 🙂

I switch twix the KA50, Harrier and F14 at present as I can find contrives and workarounds in these that stop me going WTF too often (well less so in the Harrier and most of my time in the Cat is spent watching my carrier deck scripts and movements but.......). Occasionally if I find a good challenging road Ill bring out the Mig21 (cos - popping chutes never gets old) to land on it and the Huey gets aired when i want to listen to CCR for a bit and fire a lot of ammo in a not too accurate manner. 

My £30 is going on the Mil-8 this sale for one reason only - It pleases @216th_LuseKofte. And if it keeps him even mildly happy it MUST be good! LOL

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

One must please LuseKofte. When he gets grumpy, the whole world weeps. :(

Like you, I'm in the mission editor non-stop. I haven't flown anything but an ME flight in forever.  And yes, the sailboats do move. The South Ossetians enjoy water sports.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

One must please LuseKofte. When he gets grumpy, the whole world weeps. :(

Like you, I'm in the mission editor non-stop. I haven't flown anything but an ME flight in forever.  And yes, the sailboats do move. The South Ossetians enjoy water sports.

One of these days I am going to have to give that ME a try.

Perhaps I might have better luck with it than I am having learning the Hornet for combat.

2 hours ago, BOO said:

DCS is better from the air. Never understood the desire to drive in a map so (necessarily) generically detailed and low res that it cannot possibly represent the real world to any convincing degree up close. Bad enough in a helo. 

Idk about this map, but the Channel map is beautiful even up close. 

16 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

Idk about this map, but the Channel map is beautiful even up close. 

Beautiful yes but I cant get past the fact that the iconic seafront of Dunkirk is missing entire, those out of place chemi tanks in every farm in Kent and the lack of Oasthouses. That there are also more variations of park bench than bridges and that those bridges are often blocking the waterways they run over also grates and I suspect will grate even more once the Mossie and its low level canal navigating recreations arrive. 

Im a pedant. Cant help it.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Perhaps I might have better luck with it than I am having learning the Hornet for combat.

Its easy to get the basics and you can do a lot with it to help you learn stuff in increments. For instance, menu switchable SAM sites in increasing levels of skill or numbers semi intelligent IADS or enforced speed and alt zones.  

25 minutes ago, BOO said:

Its easy to get the basics and you can do a lot with it to help you learn stuff in increments. For instance, menu switchable SAM sites in increasing levels of skill or numbers semi intelligent IADS or enforced speed and alt zones.  

Thanks for the motivation!

:good:

1 hour ago, BOO said:

Beautiful yes but I cant get past the fact that the iconic seafront of Dunkirk is missing entire, those out of place chemi tanks in every farm in Kent and the lack of Oasthouses. That there are also more variations of park bench than bridges and that those bridges are often blocking the waterways they run over also grates and I suspect will grate even more once the Mossie and its low level canal navigating recreations arrive. 

It may not be accurate and have some issues here and there but overall it is a very nice map. And if we compare it to the Rheinland map..

6 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I wish for a Tiger moth in that map

And a Hurricane:)

5 hours ago, dburne said:

The DCS ME is a masterpiece in that a bonehead like me can create a flight literally in seconds.

You know what, I'll do a quick test, hold on:

Okay, I was in a plane in DCS and wanted to change my flight. As soon as I hit Esc to end the flight I hit the stopwatch. I went back to the ME, changed the map, changed the plane, changed weather and time of day, put an enemy ground vehicle down with a waypoint, and I was back in the plane flying in exactly... 66 seconds. That's a proper ME. It gives you the option to make a custom flight fast and easy. Or you can take your time. It's nice to have the choice.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

The DCS ME is a masterpiece in that a bonehead like me can create a flight literally in seconds.

You know what, I'll do a quick test, hold on:

Okay, I was in a plane in DCS and wanted to change my flight. As soon as I hit Esc to end the flight I hit the stopwatch. I went back to the ME, changed the map, changed the plane, changed weather and time of day, put an enemy ground vehicle down with a waypoint, and I was back in the plane flying in exactly... 66 seconds. That's a proper ME. It gives you the option to make a custom flight fast and easy. Or you can take your time. It's nice to have the choice.

Ok thanks guess I will have to give it a whirl.

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok thanks guess I will have to give it a whirl.

Once you figure out the basics. It is easy. 

I find some instant action very good. And all I do is change the airplane and save it for that plane. It is done in 10 second. I know it can be as advanced and powerful you like it to be. It got a lot of features, not meant for us not that into it.