All ya' IL2 GB, even TC1 owners should never complain again on the game loading time.

Just tried the free DCS Su-25T game, it takes 10 times as long to load ...

8 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Not for me. Did you try more than once? Maybe it will just take that long the first time.

Il-2 seems to do this too just after an update. Takes longer to load the first time.

12 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Il-2 seems to do this too just after an update. Takes longer to load the first time.

it was the fist time ...

1 minute ago, jollyjack said:

it was the fist time ...

Go slow, be gentle, lots of lube

• Haha 2

If it was the very first time, the game needs to build temporary shader files, so it takes longer than usual.

That being said, in DCS, an SSD drive, any make or model, even the budget one, is pretty much mandatory to avoid loading-times-related and stuttering-related frustrations.

8 hours ago, jollyjack said:

All ya' IL2 GB, even TC1 owners should never complain again on the game loading time.

Just tried a few DCS starts up for fun: 23 seconds, then 21 seconds, then 20 seconds. (m.2 NVME)

IL2: 31 seconds, then 28 seconds then 27 seconds. (SSD)

It take very short time to start the game

new installer remove useless files. I start up DCS 10 time faster than GB now after 2 patches ago. 
it must be your pc. 

On 8/8/2020 at 8:31 AM, DerNeueMensch said:

A bit of lonewulfing while on SRS on the Cold War: 

https://youtu.be/99O8iXPPUJc

LOL, Missile kill at 4.10. :) 

On 8/13/2020 at 8:33 AM, jollyjack said:

You likely didn't lower any of the pre-load radius settings.  If maxed out, it is loading a great deal more than you need to play. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Just read on Stormbirds blog that the Syria map is coming this week.

Tomorrow, apparently. Wasn't supposed to be out for at least a month, but I think everyone wants a slice of the attention FS2020 is getting. Update here Monday, FS2020 Tuesday, and Syria Wednesday. 

Haven't see it on Steam yet, but it's an instant purchase when it shows up.

Helluva time to be a flightsimhead! :cool:

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Tomorrow, apparently. Wasn't supposed to be out for at least a month, but I think everyone wants a slice of the attention FS2020 is getting. Update here Monday, FS2020 Tuesday, and Syria Wednesday. 

Haven't see it on Steam yet, but it's an instant purchase when it shows up.

Helluva time to be a flightsimhead! :cool:

The Syria map should be available this evening with a 20% discount.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nirvi said:

The Syria map should be available this evening with a 20% discount.

Seems to be 30%. 🙂

I have no willpower. Bought it, even after saying I'm spending far too much on sim software at the moment. Tobruk, MSFS 2020, and now this...

10 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Seems to be 30%. 🙂

I have no willpower. Bought it, even after saying I'm spending far too much on sim software at the moment. Tobruk, MSFS 2020, and now this...

30% in the E-shop, 20% on steam

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nirvi said:

30% in the E-shop, 20% on steam

Still not out on Steam here.

But the very microsecond it is...........

F***ing Tobruk. Takes so long time flying. Love the Wellington but aint got the time needed. Not bought Syria map nor 2020 so I must be getting very old. 
We currently looking on of grid farms with huge land to buy. Going to be A grumphy prepper witout internet as soon as my son take over the company. 
So I might as well pass on it

• Upvote 1

Just now, 216th_LuseKofte said:

F***ing Tobruk. Takes so long time flying. Love the Wellington but aint got the time needed. Not bought Syria map nor 2020 so I must be getting very old. 
We currently looking on of grid farms with huge land to buy. Going to be A grumphy prepper witout internet as soon as my son take over the company. 
So I might as well pass on it

Grumpy will come along naturally. (Especially to you!) No effort required. 

FS2020 is optional. My option was to get it. And the Syria map as soon as Steam lists it.

• Haha 1

Kind of lost the interest, really. I do not start up any sim easily. 
So I will simply go down and dl the new patch in GB and fly the PO 2 , that should fix it

Well I got the Syria map earlier today, currently no instant action or single missions have been done for it.

I think maybe one or two for the Tomcat and that is it.

So I spent the afternoon continuing my PWCG campaign in IL-2.

;)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@dburne. Indeed, but making simplified missions in the great DCS full mission editor is quite easy (once I saw some YouTube vids for it at the time) . I did quick dogfights over Syria map selecting whatever plane I wanted to fly at a certain location. A mission template allows me to quickly do such a thing. But that is no career and... surely no DC (for DCS DC we need... even more patience) over Syria.

The map itself looks terrific thought! 

Edited by simfan2015

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

@dburne. Indeed, but making simplified missions in the great DCS full mission editor is quite easy (once I saw some YouTube vids for it at the time) . I did quick dogfights over Syria map selecting whatever plane I wanted to fly at a certain location. A mission template allows me to quickly do such a thing. But that is no career and... surely no DC (for DCS DC we need... even more patience) over Syria.

The map itself looks terrific thought! 

Well I will tell you, I did go into the quick mission generator and set the Syria Map for my Hornet, and jumped in the plane. I had set clear skies. It looked good, but man there was a big haze all around and I really could not see further off all that great. Don't know maybe I did something wrong.

Yeah I probably should take a little time and learn how to work with the full mission editor. I spend so much time already just trying to learn how to effectively fly combat in these things, I never seem to get quite to where I want to be, so learning something else is a little daunting for me.

8 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well I will tell you, I did go into the quick mission generator and set the Syria Map for my Hornet, and jumped in the plane. I had set clear skies. It looked good, but man there was a big haze all around and I really could not see further off all that great. Don't know maybe I did something wrong.

Yeah I probably should take a little time and learn how to work with the full mission editor. I spend so much time already just trying to learn how to effectively fly combat in these things, I never seem to get quite to where I want to be, so learning something else is a little daunting for me.

Still waiting for the map to show on Steam. Over at the DCS forum they say they are waiting for Steam to approve the page entry or something like that. :angry:

As to the DCS mission editor - I love it. It's as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. For me it's a great big fat juicy QMB; easy, fun, and fast, and I use it for 100% of my flights. Every flight is the exact flight I want. And it's the #1 reason DCS is getting my cash and not IL2. 

16 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Still waiting for the map to show on Steam. Over at the DCS forum they say they are waiting for Steam to approve the page entry or something like that. :angry:

As to the DCS mission editor - I love it. It's as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. For me it's a great big fat juicy QMB; easy, fun, and fast, and I use it for 100% of my flights. Every flight is the exact flight I want. And it's the #1 reason DCS is getting my cash and not IL2. 

Ok thanks, will see how I can do with it.

• Upvote 1

@dburne and @CanadaOne

For me the DCS QMB no longer works for the new DCS Channel and Syria maps (and only those) ! 

The full mission editor is no problem though! 

I tested this with 2 pc's both with nvidia gpus (Turing and Pascal) and with both 16 and only 8 GB of RAM. 

Please tell me whether or not the DCS QMB works fine with those maps with your systems and if you don't mind tell me if you have amd or nvidia gpus and how many GB RAM your systems have. 

I have no idea what could be the problem.. Drivers or amount of RAM or...??? 

Thank you so much. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

@dburne and @CanadaOne

For me the DCS QMB no longer works for the new DCS Channel and Syria maps (and only those) ! 

I tested this with 2 pc's both with nvidia gpus (Turing and Pascal) and with both 16 and only 8 GB of RAM. 

Please tell me whether or not the DCS QMB works fine with those maps with your systems and if you don't mind tell me if you have amd or nvidia gpus and how many GB RAM your systems have. 

Thank you so much. 

Morning,

You're right. Doesn't work on the Channel, just pops back to the main page. I don't know about the Syria map because...

It's not out on Steam yet!!!

Sorry, had to vent.

I never would have noticed about the Channel because I never use the QMB in DCS. I fly 100% through that wonderful mission editor. :)

Edit: system info: 3700X/32GBRAM/2060 Super

Edited by CanadaOne

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the information CanadaOne!!! 

I reported this issue to the DCS Devs as soon as the channel map became available, but never got or read about any solution (nor does it seem to be fixed). 

Just as it bothers you the Syria map is not yet available on steam this map error issue nags me because in fact this is, to me anyway, so obvious an error that there is no way it could never have been overlooked!? 

I fully agree with your use of the full mission editor... It is great and powerful (but to me not that easy to use, which is why I still - hope to be able to- use the QMB to set up a quick battle scenario). We are lucky that SYN_Vander made such a fine QMB for Il-2 GB!!! 

Thanks again 

Edited by simfan2015

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

@dburne and @CanadaOne

Thank you so much. 

I really did not spend enough time with it yesterday to say , it did appear to be somewhat amiss in some way.

2 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

Thank you for the information CanadaOne!!! 

I reported to the DCS Devs this as soon as the channel map was available, but never got a solution (nor does it seem to be fixed). 

Just as it bothers you the Syria map is not yet available on steam this map error issue nags me because in fact this is, to me anyway, so obvious an error that there is no way it could never have been overlooked!? 

I fully agree with your use of the full mission editor... It is great and powerful (but to me not that easy to use, which is why I still - hope to be able to- use the QMB to set up a quick battle scenario). We are lucky that SYN_Vander made such a fine QMB for Il-2 GB!!! 

Thanks again 

Syn_Vanders mission creator is excellent. But the game design that forces you to actually turn the game off to use the mission editor or Syn_Vanders' app is ridiculous to the point of being insulting. And it's been what... seven-years like this? Total zero effort on their part.

Hopefully the Syria map will be out by the time I get home. 

• Haha 1

Thanks dburne. CanadaOne also has this issue it seems and since he has a 32 GB RAM pc the lack of memory won't be the cause of it. 

If you would find out more please let us know. 

It is no problem for CanadaOne because he does not use the DCS QMB, but it is a DCS issue nevertheless. 

The Syria map is, IMHO, the best DCS map. I hope you will be able to fly over it very soon!! 

Got home and checked Steam and there was Syria, $56.99. Downloading now.

Should be some good flying tonight.

@CanadaOneSyria on Steam!... Enjoy!

I am pretty sure you will like it too! 

This new map is, as you know, very detailed and... allows good performance, even on my slowest, far from speedy pc in 4k with a... Nvidia 1650 Turing card (yes, unbelievable 😉) ! 

BTW and FWIW... I reported the DCS QMB bug - again- to ED. Now, in the meantime, using the FME for... every sortie too. 

Have a nice day 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

@CanadaOneSyria on Steam!... Enjoy!

I am pretty sure you will like it too! 

This new map is, as you know, very detailed and... allows good performance, even on my slowest, far from speedy pc in 4k with a... Nvidia 1650 Turing card (yes, unbelievable 😉) ! 

BTW and FWIW... I reported the DCS QMB bug - again- to ED. Now, in the meantime, using the FME for... every sortie too. 

Have a nice day 

Thanks.

I'm 18GB done out of 29.

I've never noticed the QMB bug in DCS because I don't think I've used it in a year, and even then I used it maybe four or five times. The DCS mission editor is so good, and so much better than the IL2 version, it's a great incitement to fly the DCS world. That's why I skipped BoN and bought DCS stuff instead.

Hope the map runs well, just might have to turn a few things down.

Flew around a few areas and the map looks good! Performance ranged from acceptable to very good. Flying over Beirut was a 45-ish FPS affair, but once you leave the city it jumps up fast. And it's a big map. What, 500km north to south?

Starting to get some nice variety in the DCS maps. Flat desert to snowy mountains to woodsy hills to big cities with great big azz concrete runways. Very nice.

I have a 300mps pipe but the DCS updater feeds me at 1-2 mps. FS 2020 installed faster than DCS gets updated...

Ill eventually get the Syria map. Maybe I’ll break down and get tonight. I have Combined Arms and seems like they are going to let that die.

Sorta feel like DCS lacks a direction at times. 

@CanadaOne

Good to hear you like the Syria map too !

[BTW ... most people seem to change their minds on ED (in a positive way) and my guess is this map has a lot to do with it (?)]

Installed the Syria map. Not yet flown sny sim. Looking forward to take The Yak 52 on a sightseeing tour there

8 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

I have a 300mps pipe but the DCS updater feeds me at 1-2 mps. FS 2020 installed faster than DCS gets updated...

Ill eventually get the Syria map. Maybe I’ll break down and get tonight. I have Combined Arms and seems like they are going to let that die.

Sorta feel like DCS lacks a direction at times. 

My Steam DCS installs pretty fast, almost always at my max DL, which seems to be 7.7mps.

As for DCS lacking direction, I think they are providing an excellent sandbox full of toys to play with as opposed to a theme to be followed. And that's fine with me. Between the planes and the maps, you have some serious variety. And Combined Arms is not being left to die. I paid for it, it works, it works on all the maps, and still sees additions and improvements from time to time.