Apparently the Viggen thrust reverser only operates with weight on the wheels, which rather limits its potential.¬†ūüėČ

I reinstalled on a ssd and it works now in multiplayer, would have been nice if the minimum specs on the website specified this.  

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Apparently the Viggen thrust reverser only operates with weight on the wheels, which rather limits its potential.¬†ūüėČ

Possibly but it also makes the Viggen the easiest DCS jet to land on a carrier.   Take off is pretty easy too:wacko:

Lovely plane to fly and I really like the nice, big, easy to use knobs from a husqvarna cooker for systems selection in the cockpit.:)

• Haha 1

Looking at Chuck's Viggen guide, I see it has Automatisk Fart Kontroll,¬†which must make it even easier...¬†ūüėÉ

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2020 at 12:29 PM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Today time to buy The Channel map, got some extra up the sleeve :) Only gripe I have in DCS are the propellor discs. Best ones are on Dora and Pony, rest are outright bad with their low res pixelation etc.

Nevertheless need to map controllers for the Jug and start doing some ground pounding in it. Liking the plane more I fly it. 

Wasn't Ugra Media responsible for BoBp map? It stands out as not so good compared to Kuban, Moscow or even Stalingrad. Repetitive tiles, ruler drawn lines here and there etc. Both Normandy and Channel in DCS need work, they have a lot of potential. 

AFAIK Ugra did the WW1 map for Flying Circus. BoBp map is internal deed.

12 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Just had my first flight in the Tomcat. Managed to take off from Nellis, and land again without breaking it, though I need to figure out a few more of the controls. Even got a complement on my landing from the guy in the back, who hadn't said a word previously, even when I pulled into a supersonic vertical climb over the Vegas Strip. I expect he's used to that sort of thing...

All in all, an impressive model. Cockpit in particular is very evocative of its time, complete with Space Invaders game in the middle of the instrument panel (where is the coin slot?) and a whole lot of instruments you have to look at three times to figure out what they are telling you. Having the wings wander around backwards and forwards as they feel like it takes a bit of getting used to too, though mostly they seemed to have a more sensible idea about keeping the thing in the air than I did. 

My next objective, once I've sorted out a bit more of the switchery. will be landing the beast on a carrier. Going to be tricky no doubt, though maybe the extra inertia will help me avoid the overcontrolling issues that seem to be at the root of my struggles with the Hornet.

I find the Tomcat easier, the direct lift control helps a lot too. 

2 hours ago, Hoots said:

I find the Tomcat easier, the direct lift control helps a lot too. 

Certainly! The angines are also spooling quicker, though I do have the impression there was a slight adjustment on the Hornet. But the latter might just be me getting used to the unrealisticly slow engine-response...

You need to be careful with the DLC - I once have killed myself by DLC'ing into to a ramp-strike, trying to salvage a high ball...

The Forrestal WILL be quite exciting to land on.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Looking at Chuck's Viggen guide, I see it has Automatisk Fart Kontroll,¬†which must make it even easier...¬†ūüėÉ

I thought that was part of our standard build?

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

I thought that was part of our standard build?

Not if you're fifty plus:(.  In the meantime.......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice video.

But I'm on Steam and I don't get the Viggen,. Total bummer!

Holy Crap the Channel map is epic, cannot believe the level of detail. Since upgrading from 16gb to 32gb Ram it running alot smoother, far better than the Normandy Map when it first came out. But OMG just checked on RAM usage in Task manager and it was up to 27 gb used. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JohnHolmes said:

Holy Crap the Channel map is epic, cannot believe the level of detail. Since upgrading from 16gb to 32gb Ram it running alot smoother, far better than the Normandy Map when it first came out. But OMG just checked on RAM usage in Task manager and it was up to 27 gb used. 

couple that with what is possible with the DCS ME, along with the WW2 assets pack... just putting up b-17s, wow.

Just tried the Viggen for the first time. Interesting.¬†ūüĎć

Instrumentation etc seems sensible enough, if a bit unconventional, and taking off was uneventful. It seemed a good idea to try the thing out at what it seems to be designed for - batting along at high speed and low level - so I found a nice-looking valley and went off down it. Definitely in its element doing this, though a few tight turns got me hopelessly lost, and I had to resort the the F10 map to figure out where I was. Gave it a quick blast at full afterburner just to see what it handled like at Mach 1.3 or whatever, but a quick glance at the fuel gauge convinced me that I'd have to throttle back if I didn't want to run the thing dry.

Having satisfied my curiosity, I then bimbled back to the airfield I'd taken off from, Kutaisi, and read the instructions on how to land the thing. Seemed simple enough, so I set everything up, turned downwind, and gave myself plenty of room. Turned back to line up for approach. Runway seemed closer than I'd expected. Also seemed a little shorter than I remembered, but whatever. Managed to put it down straight, and on speed/AoA (or thereabouts). Far end of the runway seemed to be getting close rather quickly though. ūüė≤¬†Fortunately, I'd engaged the reverse thrust gadget, which arms automatically on touchdown, so a quick burst of full throttle brought me to a stop. And then sent me backwards at a fair lick, before I'd time to disengage reverse, and throttle forward to a final halt.

Looking at TacView afterwards (track replay was FUBAR as per the DCS norm), I realised that I'd not landed at Kutaisi at all. I'd landed at a satellite airfield 10 km to the NE. Which was a little over half the length of the one I'd taken off from. ūüė≥¬†Without thrust reverser, I'd have disassembled the beast into a kit of parts at the end of the runway. These Swedes think of everything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Having satisfied my curiosity, I then bimbled back to the airfield . . .

You did what now? :unsure:

informal British no object, with adverbial of direction

Walk or travel at a leisurely pace.

Dr. Seuss had to have used that word.

Yeah, bimbling. What you do when you know which way you want to go, more or less (or think you do), but may stop to look at the flowers on the way. Or in my case, to read the instruction manual. I suspect it may relate to what bumble bees do (The flowers bit, I mean. I don't think bees have pilot's manuals). Same as ambling, only with more potential for not actually getting to where you originally intended,.

A perfectly cromulent word, and one Dr Seuss would no doubt have used if he'd seen it:

Andy the aviator goes from A to B.

Andy the aviator bimbles like a bee.

Andy the aviator lands instead at C

Andy the aviator not where he should be

Andy should navigate, much more carefulee

Andy the aviator is a silly B.

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2020 at 4:24 AM, AndyJWest said:

We. had a good racing driver with bad english being interviewed 

he said

‚ÄĚit is not the fart (speed) that kills you it is the smell(stop)‚Äú

and 

‚Äú I do not know what its called in English , but in Norwegian we call it aircondition‚ÄĚ

• Haha 5

Had to order another ssd that will just have DCS on it, it really is a ridiculously big programme!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Archie said:

Had to order another ssd that will just have DCS on it, it really is a ridiculously big programme!

Yup. My new PC has a 1Tb NVME just for games. Plenty, I thought. Not with two DCS installs (beta and 'stable') and two X-Plane installs (ditto), along with IL-2 GB, RoF etc it isn't. Not if I'm going to put MSFS 2020 on it when it comes out. I'm going to have to add more storage, though I'm holding out until I really need it in the hope that prices drop.

Regarding comments earlier on this thread, I can confirm that the Tomcat seems easier to land on a carrier than the Hornet. Got an _OK_ into the third wire on my second landing, though the subsequent one was pretty atrocious, probably due to me paying too much attention to the AoA indexer, and not enough to the fact that I was pointing straight at the ramp. I think the idea is to land downhill, not perform a last-minute popup from 40 ft ASL and then pancake onto the deck.¬†ūüėÉ

I didn't have 2 installs of DCS until I bought my second 1TB M2 SSD!

Now i have all my VR games on my second M2 (DCS stable and beta, il2 etc...), and non VR games on my original M2 along with windows.....

Tomcat is much easier to land due to having engines that actually react to the throttleūü§£

32 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Tomcat is much easier to land due to having engines that actually react to the throttleūü§£

Engines make difference too, but biggest difference is that Hornet has very realistic hook physics modeling, and Tomcat doesn't, at least for now. With Hornet, you need to approach at correct AOA, with Tomcat it doesn't matter. It always catches the wire regardless of the AOA. Because of this, it's pretty unrewarding for me to land on a carrier with Tomcat.

11 minutes ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

Engines make difference too, but biggest difference is that Hornet has very realistic hook physics modeling, and Tomcat doesn't, at least for now. With Hornet, you need to approach at correct AOA, with Tomcat it doesn't matter. It always catches the wire regardless of the AOA. Because of this, it's pretty unrewarding for me to land on a carrier with Tomcat.

Way to rain on my parade dude... :)

1 hour ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

True, but as long as you use the indexer, and land at the correct AOA, i don't have to many bolters. Was pretty pleased I didn't bolt the other day when I made a straight in approach and landed with only 450 lbs of fuel left though!!!

The same hook physics are coming to the Tomcat, so be careful what you wish for...ūüėČ

I think the DCS Steam sale starts today.

I kinda have what I want already, but I'm still considering the 109. The Channel map is so nice it's hard to resist hopping the Channel in a Messerschmitt and tangling with a Spitfire over Dover. 

There goes another $30 I guess. :unsure:

I'm tempted yet again to get the Mig-21.  I always think about it but then don't at the last second.

I have so many modules that i barely touch, I just reckon this might be another.  I lover the Mig-19 but hardly ever use it.

Anyone have opinions on the 21?

Purchased P-47 yesterday. Night and day difference. Had no problem getting on 109s 6 and shooting it down at low alt even with it's superior AI. That was almost impossible for me in box.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TP_Scram said:

Anyone have opinions on the 21?

It is quite fun. But I liked it more when not in vr. In VR I feel its looks wrong. I do not use it anymore

1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

Purchased P-47 yesterday. Night and day difference. Had no problem getting on 109s 6 and shooting it down at low alt even with it's superior AI. That was almost impossible for me in box.

It is far more agile and powerful down low than box version. Right or wrong I like DCS version and dislike box version

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

It is far more agile and powerful down low than box version. Right or wrong I like DCS version and dislike box version

I think DCS version is way closer to reality. 

• Upvote 2

how often does dcs do sales?

I'd like to get the f 14 but was hoping for a bit more off.

46 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

At least three or four-times a year.

I think this is the third in the last six-months. Christmas, The Stay at Home Sale, and now the Summer Sale.

Figures that Steam will give me $6 off any purchase over $35, and the 109 is $33. :huh:

Not flown this contraption in years. I should probably looked for somewhere less ambitious to land. 

Screen-200626-004028.png

Screen-200626-004043.png

Oops...
Screen-200626-004101.png

I seem to recall doing this before - catch the main gear on a lip, and it folds backwards. On the plus side, I didn't fall off the pad. It's a long way down.

I think the DCS civilian traffic AI needs a little work. While Middle Eastern drivers may possibly not have the best reputation in the world, I doubt that they routinely drive flat out across the central reservation of a multi-lane highway in order to turn off on the other side. Rather distracting when you are chasing trains through Dubai...

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Love the KA-50, need to get my controllers set back up for it and have another go, been a long time.

One can do some serious killing in that machine. Probably the only one I truly learned most of the way anyhow. I am sure I have forgot a lot by now.

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Not flown this contraption in years. I should probably looked for somewhere less ambitious to land. 

Screen-200626-004028.png

Screen-200626-004043.png

I think the DCS civilian traffic AI needs a little work. While Middle Eastern drivers may possibly not have the best reputation in the world, I doubt that they routinely drive flat out across the central reservation of a multi-lane highway in order to turn off on the other side. Rather distracting when you are chasing trains through Dubai...

Poor Sahid is keeping one eye on the helicopter chasing the commuter trains through Dubai and trying not to be late for work, cut the guy some slack. Let he who has not driven almost off the road watching a plane, bird, or deer cast the first anti-tank rocket.

Edited by RedKestrel
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Screen-200626-004043.png

Oops...

I seem to recall doing this before - catch the main gear on a lip, and it folds backwards. On the plus side, I didn't fall off the pad. It's a long way down.

I've tried landing my Harrier there.

Tried. :sorry:

• Upvote 1

Yup. If DCS maps had permanent smoking holes, there'd be quite a few around the Burj Al Arab*. And more by the hotel-with-a-hole on the artificial island, and the fancy rectangular frame monument thing. The whole place seems to have been designed as a theme park for virtual low-fliers.

*New word of the month (for me): Burj. Arabic for 'tower'. Or possibly 'more money than sense'. See also the Burj Khalifa,  along with much of the rest of recent development in Dubai. Though I probably shouldn't be too critical, given the amount of dosh I've just spent on a new vastly-over-spec PC, complete with entirely unnecessary RGB lighting in a tempered-glass case more suited to an aquarium. I should probably rename it the Burj Al Flightsim, and paint a helicopter landing pad on the top...

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Yup. If DCS maps had permanent smoking holes, there'd be quite a few around the Burj Al Arab*. And more by the hotel-with-a-hole on the artificial island, and the fancy rectangular frame monument thing. The whole place seems to have been designed as a theme park for virtual low-fliers.

*New word of the month (for me): Burj. Arabic for 'tower'. Or possibly 'more money than sense'. See also the Burj Khalifa,  along with much of the rest of recent development in Dubai. Though I probably shouldn't be too critical, given the amount of dosh I've just spent on a new vastly-over-spec PC, complete with entirely unnecessary RGB lighting in a tempered-glass case more suited to an aquarium. I should probably rename it the Burj Al Flightsim, and paint a helicopter landing pad on the top...

Just don't let @CanadaOne try and land his Harrier there.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Just don't let @CanadaOne try and land his Harrier there.

Now I'll have to try!

10 hours ago, Tycoon said:

DCS does decent sales pretty regularly but Heatblur don't tend to give as much of a discount compared to other modules so you might have to wait a while for a steeper discount on the Tomcat.

9 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Screen-200626-004028.png

That thing looks like 1000 accidents waiting to happen... helicopters really are an attempt to beat physics into submission. Dangerous, unnatural things.

• Upvote 1