Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

No Viper here, but my Hornet got some new toys as well. :biggrin:

 

One hell of a flightsim feast these days. Getting tough to remember all the controls.

 

"Okay, that switch centers the view in FS20, bombs an orphanage in DCS, and speed dials the hookers in Il2. I think that's right."

 

Yeah that is my problem and having memory issues now does not help.

I have taken a bit of a break from DCS for now, but will dig back in here before too long I am sure.

Have not given up on learning the Hornet, just somewhat frustrated.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

 

Yeah that is my problem and having memory issues now does not help.

I have taken a bit of a break from DCS for now, but will dig back in here before too long I am sure.

Have not given up on learning the Hornet, just somewhat frustrated.

I took a brake and it has lasted for month. 
Today I uninstalled GB. Difficulties with msfs 2020 made me reinstall it and I needed that space on that drive. I simply believe in staying away to the urge get really big. I am happy 2020 came along so I got something to fly. Cod demand too much time for casual flying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

it's got an IL2 with 37mm cannons

I agree it is fantastic, just not for me. SP career is not playing out as interesting. MP is if possible even less realistic. 
But that is because I love flying big and slow, for others I can see the joy. 
regarding big and slow, in order to be interesting, it need to be a bit challange in it. Witch it is not, except being a fat juicy unprotected target. The interphase is simply too simplified  and pushing a A and correct make you hit a ship from 5 k altitude 5 out of 6 times. For DCS. You can only fly that many times a mission. 
So I need a long brake from it all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I agree it is fantastic, just not for me. SP career is not playing out as interesting. MP is if possible even less realistic. 
But that is because I love flying big and slow, for others I can see the joy. 
regarding big and slow, in order to be interesting, it need to be a bit challange in it. Witch it is not, except being a fat juicy unprotected target. The interphase is simply too simplified  and pushing a A and correct make you hit a ship from 5 k altitude 5 out of 6 times. For DCS. You can only fly that many times a mission. 
So I need a long brake from it all

 

A long walk and a shot of bourbon afterwards will cure your ills. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Your and my definition of good SP content must be quite different.

Between PWCG, the Career Mode, and Scripted Campaigns I find the SP content quite good and right up my alley.

 

But I think maybe you like to create your own missions , whereas I prefer to fly campaign style where I don't have to create anything.

I do not even care for the Quick Missions.

For people liking fighters I get your point. But except from a few scripted campaigns ground pounding is repeatable in career and sometime impossible to survive with current ai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

For people liking fighters I get your point. But except from a few scripted campaigns ground pounding is repeatable in career and sometime impossible to survive with current ai

 

PWCG Campaign offers some pretty good ground pounding missions even in fighters.

I am flying a P-51 Campaign and am getting a nice mix of ground attack missions in it. More air-air, but still a nice mix of ground pound missions.

Usually has accompanying air cover support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new P-47 update with the rockets is great. DCS WWII is getting better and better. And definitely the best WWII map around.

 

2020-01-31-p-47-04.jpg?w=1024

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So very happy that DCS does not work in my computer. Head would soon explode in trying to learn two different sims and thinking on which to focus, which is better now and which is better next year and the year after next year. Just need to close my eyes and hold my ears tight with my hands and yell CoD is the best repeatedly 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Cod is very good if you have a evening to fly it. But for a mission DCS is by far best

 

Yeah, that was and it seems still is the only bad thing in CoD, if we ignore the lack of VR support. BoX have like major upgrade regarding that with the RPish campaign. In single player campaign needs hell lot of things to make it more interesting because the actual flying against and with CPU is so very limited when compared to real pilots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Cod is very good if you have a evening to fly it. But for a mission DCS is by far best

 

Are you happy with the AI in DCS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

 

Are you happy with the AI in DCS?

You are not that much depending on ai in campaign on missions I fly. 
In KA 50 you get your mate to do exactly what you want him to do within meters. If he get shot down, you simply put him too close. In other modules thay do take away some airdefences. I have not flown ww 2 campaign. DCS got commands that works and that make the difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Yeah. I might As well start updating dcs. 
I really need something to fly

 

DCS is putting in some decent effort. The last update fixed a bunch of stuff and added a bunch more. The Harrier got some real love.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say what you want, but that trailer is superb. Brrrrrrtttt

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to have that plane but the systems are just too complicated. Maybe if it's on sale one day I'll get it for the simpler stuff. 

 

"Brrrrrrrrtttttttt!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Say what you want, but that trailer is superb. Brrrrrrtttt

 

 

 lol

I love that airplane.

 

I'd love to know how to fly the A-10 and be able to boot up a sortie on a whim.

What I'm unable/unwilling to do is devote the time necessary to actually learn it, and then maintain that knowledge to boot....I just can't do it.

Goes with most jets. 

 

When I build the new rig, depending on what else is happening or not happening, I may get the F-14. I think I can handle that one as long as I stay out of the back seat.

As of right now I have no good reason to install DCS and no time, but we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

 

 lol

I love that airplane.

 

I'd love to know how to fly the A-10 and be able to boot up a sortie on a whim.

What I'm unable/unwilling to do is devote the time necessary to actually learn it, and then maintain that knowledge to boot....I just can't do it.

Goes with most jets. 

 

When I build the new rig, depending on what else is happening or not happening, I may get the F-14. I think I can handle that one as long as I stay out of the back seat.

 

Try the Harrier. It's a blast. And even I can use some/most/many of the systems.  :cool:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CanadaOne said:

 

Try the Harrier. It's a blast. And even I can use some/most/many of the systems.  :cool:

 

I appreciate that, but that bird never really called to me.

The F-14 does...plus carrier ops. 

 

I'm going to need carrier ops at some point FFS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

 

I appreciate that, but that bird never really called to me.

The F-14 does...plus carrier ops. 

 

I'm going to need carrier ops at some point FFS.

 

I have to admit, the carrier ops with the F-18 are pretty sweet. And ya gotta have carrier ops. Cinematically speaking, though, the F-14 is about as good as it gets. I tried the demo during that great free trial period and the Tomcat is maybe the best looking plane I've ever seen. I'm not crazy about the cockpit layout, just doesn't sing to me. But the graphics are the best.

 

The Harrier, though, is just plain fun. VSTOL, carrier ops, excellent ground pounding, fast enough to cool, and a pretty sweet looking cockpit. So far it's my favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCS make fantastic trailers, trouble is, I get all excited, jump in the plane then realise I don't have a ******* clue what I'm doing!  
Just not enough hours in the day to learn them properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

woeisme.thumb.jpg.697c9d2e6f20404ca3a0c71df3592239.jpg

The international space station is in for a surprise when they see the amraam coming their way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

woeisme.thumb.jpg.697c9d2e6f20404ca3a0c71df3592239.jpg

This is funny and in many ways true, flying the A 10 and use its arsenal and system over target is bloody aweful and complex. Good thing is once learned it you can operate F 16 and F 18 too. But in order to be over target mark the objectives for mates and yourself you need to multitask, have air superiosity and be very effective. But some systems are very easy and can be done in a fast in and out of there sort of way. Problem is I never survived in one , since I ignore missle warnings when busy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCS is like Hearts of Iron4 another monster game I have but really just takes up space on my SSD drive.

 

You need to be retired or unemployed to have the spare time to learn how to play DCS and continue to play or you’ll forget what you learned in the first place.

 

At least BOS is easier to get into and single player campaigns for all its faults in BOS is engaging. 
 

At least there is an easy mode to start up planes in DCS instead of having to learn all the start up procedures and sequence. It would be nice to have an easy mode to employ weapons so you can just go out and blow up things and enjoy the fireworks without having to learn all the procedures and sequences. I know it’s heresy to hard core DCS players but something like a cntrl-m function to lock on and shoot Mavericks at tanks would be nice. Maybe there is but I haven’t figured it out.

 

I recently notice the DCS now has subs in it...

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dbzero said:

It would be nice to have an easy mode to employ weapons so you can just go out and blow up things and enjoy the fireworks without having to learn all the procedures and sequences.

Some planes like the F-5E have that mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That guy makes insane trailers. Is it still Glowing Amram that does the DCS stuff? Any chance he could lend his talents to our favorite sim?

 

The one thing I don't like is they add in sound effects not from the game, that's misleading...although they do state that at the end.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

That guy makes insane trailers. Is it still Glowing Amram that does the DCS stuff? Any chance he could lend his talents to our favorite sim?

 

The one thing I don't like is they add in sound effects not from the game, that's misleading...although they do state that at the end.

 

Yeah, DCS trailers are top notch.  That is one thing you can't knock them for...they get the required request, folks spending money.  It would be nice if Jason would invest some time in finding someone with similar talents to do IL-2's trailers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

 

Yeah, DCS trailers are top notch.  That is one thing you can't knock them for...they get the required request, folks spending money.  It would be nice if Jason would invest some time in finding someone with similar talents to do IL-2's trailers.

Not sure if we’re talking about same thing but the DCS movies on YouTube are a blast to watch. 
 

when I do go into DCS I usually end up in the mission editor and watch what I build. Ironically it seem that the DCS mission editor is pretty easy to use and build things while the mission editor in BOS is something you need to be retired or in-employed to have the time to learn...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up the new A10 for free (DSC miles and already had the old one)

 

Looking forward to using the new helmet mounted cuing system, going to be fun and very effective.

 

As to be over complicated, your mileage will vary. I am neither unemployed (the hours I've been working lately, occasionally seems desirable!)  or retired (a distant dream), but can fly the F16 and F18 and use all systems and deploy all weapons in both of them, can do air to air in the F14, have got as far as flying the harrier and the A10.

 

Seriously, once you understand how the various systems work, most of the knowledge is transferable in what you have to do, the only real issue to keep on  top of when swapping between planes, is key mappings.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dbzero said:

DCS is like Hearts of Iron4 another monster game I have but really just takes up space on my SSD drive.

 

You need to be retired or unemployed to have the spare time to learn how to play DCS and continue to play or you’ll forget what you learned in the first place.

 

At least BOS is easier to get into and single player campaigns for all its faults in BOS is engaging. 
 

At least there is an easy mode to start up planes in DCS instead of having to learn all the start up procedures and sequence. It would be nice to have an easy mode to employ weapons so you can just go out and blow up things and enjoy the fireworks without having to learn all the procedures and sequences. I know it’s heresy to hard core DCS players but something like a cntrl-m function to lock on and shoot Mavericks at tanks would be nice. Maybe there is but I haven’t figured it out.

 

I recently notice the DCS now has subs in it...

 

 

 

Yeah I have been retired for over 4 years now and still struggle with getting up to speed with this sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll doubt I'll ever learn the A-10C.  What is it, like 5 or 6 different functions for each switch on the Warthog joystick depending on your sensor mode?  So I was well on my way to learning it all once, but then flew something else for 3 weeks, and I was all thumbs again when I came back to the A-10.   Most of the HOTAS-oriented planes there, if I haven't flown them for a while take a couple of minutes to relearn the muscle memory at most, but for the A-10, it seemed like a whole other level of commitment.

 

Maybe someday.  (and lol, I'm really going to hate myself when I end up buying it, aren't I?)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCS takes a huge commitment. 30 years ago when Falcon 3.0 came out I spent hours reading the manual then hours in flight. In the 90s I did the same with games like Janes F-15E Strike Eagle and AH-64Longbow.

 

These days there seems to be a lot more out there besides flight sims that can compete for attention. 
 

I’ll be retiring soon so maybe then I can have more time-that is if something else get I. The way.

 

Last week I decided to start a new game in Stellaris. 12 hours later I noticed it was well past midnight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dbzero said:

DCS takes a huge commitment. 30 years ago when Falcon 3.0 came out I spent hours reading the manual then hours in flight. In the 90s I did the same with games like Janes F-15E Strike Eagle and AH-64Longbow.

 

These days there seems to be a lot more out there besides flight sims that can compete for attention. 
 

I’ll be retiring soon so maybe then I can have more time-that is if something else get I. The way.

 

Last week I decided to start a new game in Stellaris. 12 hours later I noticed it was well past midnight...

 

Trust me , as I found out after retiring there still never is enough time to learn it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This thing really is death from above...

 

The new laser guided rockets are awesome, lol, as is the helmet cuing system.

 

8a0DesktopScreenshot202.jpg

 

73fDesktopScreenshot202.jpg

 

And a close up gratuitous shot of the gun....

 

609DesktopScreenshot202.jpg

 

Going to be spending some time in this for sure now.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rule 5 applied. 

 

Criticism of DCS is not allowed.

Edited by Reggie_Mental

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they make a campaign for other maps than the Caucasus map, I may have to jump in the hog again. There are great campaigns for that map, but I'm pretty over it by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...