The DCS P-47 is the first combat sim I’ve flown that has done this girl any justice...and it’s not even done yet. We’ll see how the DM and refined engine ops limits turn out, but I’m cautiously optimistic. 

Alternating between the Spitfire (also fantastic) and the P-47 on the channel map in VR has been my favorite flight sim experience yet. 

Regarding the channel map, yes it is tough on PCs. I hope it gets tuned over time to run a bit more smoothly. But if we can take a break from discussing its performance and focus on the content provided, I must say, it’s an epic map. A quick personal story: in 2018 I was returning from a deployment in the ME; the first leg of the return was from our deployed location to RAF Lakenheath. After crossing over France (over 6 hours later), I finally got to see history’s most legendary aerial battleground. Flying over Normandy, the Channel, the Cliffs of Dover, and then souther England was a dream come true in its own right. Our 6-ship was also greeted by more enthusiast photographers than I’ve ever seen in my life...very cool. Anyway, back to DCS: after a sortie fighting a few 190s in a Spit, I started to RTB and traded some altitude for airspeed to separate away from a few 109s that were close by. After clearing my 6 and looking forward, the view of the Channel and southern England matched up so close to reality (even the cloud cover that day) that I had an immediate flashback. It was easily one of the most enjoyable sim moments I’ve had in recent history. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sight seeing around Dover from 4 mins, take of from Hawkinge and flight up the coast first, (declaimer, I am not a good helicopter pilot!!!).

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Sight seeing around Dover from 4 mins, take of from Hawkinge and flight up the coast first, (declaimer, I am not a good helicopter pilot!!!).

Is it true they have the Isle of Dogs on the map? I've bought it but not had a chance to get on the pc yet. 
I lived there for a few years in my youth.
I quite fancy a tip and run raid on Dover in an A8 lol

Edited by Archie

Is there some basic optimization that needs to be done after install? I'm getting 100 fps but the stutters are really bad.

2 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

Is there some basic optimization that needs to be done after install? I'm getting 100 fps but the stutters are really bad.

Be aware that DCS can be.....odd.  I fly in VR.  DCS has a VR preset. If I press it the game looks awful and runs terribly.  If I whack the settings up across the board the game looks good and runs really well. :wacko:

In the meantime have a look through this;

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201600

:salute:

So I read that trakir use above 60 fps causes stutters, so i limited the fps and lowered all settings and the frequency of the stutters went down but they still happen about every 20 seconds, and they last for about 3 seconds, not really playable right now.

Introducing the US Navy's latest project: the UHCV-1-72 nuclear-powered helicopter. I think it needs a larger rotor though, as I can't seem to get it airborne. :crazy:

Screen-200614-160855.png

Notice the deck-dudes in the back studiously ignoring me. I don't think they're impressed...

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tycoon said:

Full screen or borderless windowed?  G-Sync, V-Sync, none?

See what happens when you uncheck Full Screen and ditch any V-Sync

Are you going to grow one of those 1970s mustaches now so you can fly the Tomcat?  "If you ever need RIO, just give me a call" (just kidding, Iceman 🤣)

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Heh I was thinking your alter ego would be iceman.😁 I've been playing a bit more and it seems to be better, maybe as the mission goes on the loading catches up or something i don't know.

Me and my brother for a while have been thinking of picking up the tomcat, but at 160 total bucks it's kinda expensive if we don't stick with it, maybe I'll pick up a copy and see if it's any good before getting a second.

Plus it doesn't help that I feel absolutely screwed over by other flight sims, between the complete and total destruction of FC and not being able to get into GB because of the spotting, just feels like a waste of money this sim.

Edited by Tycoon

54 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

Heh I was thinking your alter ego would be iceman.😁 I've been playing a bit more and it seems to be better, maybe as the mission goes on the loading catches up or something i don't know.

Me and my brother for a while have been thinking of picking up the tomcat, but at 160 total bucks it's kinda expensive if we don't stick with it, maybe I'll pick up a copy and see if it's any good before getting a second.

Plus it doesn't help that I feel absolutely screwed over by other flight sims, between the complete and total destruction of FC and not being able to get into GB because of the spotting, just feels like a waste of money this sim.

That plane is solid, it's just a matter of how committed you and your brother are to really learning what there is.  You'll find they bitch and moan in DCS as they do in IL-2.

S! 

Today time to buy The Channel map, got some extra up the sleeve :) Only gripe I have in DCS are the propellor discs. Best ones are on Dora and Pony, rest are outright bad with their low res pixelation etc.

Nevertheless need to map controllers for the Jug and start doing some ground pounding in it. Liking the plane more I fly it. 

Wasn't Ugra Media responsible for BoBp map? It stands out as not so good compared to Kuban, Moscow or even Stalingrad. Repetitive tiles, ruler drawn lines here and there etc. Both Normandy and Channel in DCS need work, they have a lot of potential. 

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Just saw the current FAQ-thread on the Syria map and some more screenshots.

Damn, that's a nice-looking map!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278048

Yep, it's a day-one purchase for sure. I love the idea of having a map to suit every flying mood.

I hope they make a Kashmir map at one point. That could be very cool.

The previous DCS hotpatch actually helped The Channel Map in VR, but todays 6/17/20 hotpatch ruined everything 

and it appears to be worse than ever.

There is a thread on DCS. We don't need a new one on every patch.

Yeah, saw that. Definitely going to give the Tomcat a try, and the Viggen too, if I have the time.

Changing the subject slightly, how do people who fly both fixed-wing and choppers on DCS normally configure their HOTAS? Not having a dedicated collective (do they even make them, at any sensible price?), I've been using the throttle control (forward and back) for collective pitch, but can't make up my mind which way it ought to move.

In a chopper, you pull the collective to go up, and push to go down. Sensible enough, and since the in-cockpit collective moves that way, doing the same with the throttle makes sense, except that it is totally contrary to the way you use a throttle on a fixed-wing. The consequence is that when I switch from flying the Huey to the Hornet, or vice-versa, I sometimes tend to move it in the wrong direction if I'm not thinking about what I'm doing. Usually at exactly the wrong moment. 😳 Should I stick with it, and try to convince this old dog that he's got to learn at least one new trick? Should I try to learn how to fly the Huey with the collective moving the 'wrong' way'? Or should I take a two-week break between flying fixed-wing and choppers, on the basis that by that time I've probably forgotten how to fly entirely, so the problem won't arise...

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

I've been using the throttle control (forward and back) for collective pitch, but can't make up my mind which way it ought to move.

I have the exact same dilemma.  I only have the Huey, and rarely fly it, but it doesn't help that invert the axis often to see which I prefer, and end up confused when flying, often hard into the ground during VRS.

There are a couple collectives out there (Kommodo, Puma flight trainer) and Virpil are coming out with a one too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBFnr61h7VM/

Edited by Dijital_Majik

I se the throttle the wrong way. Always take a minute (and more) to get used to it.

The laws of Flight Sim purity demand that you reverse your collective from how you have it for Fixed Wing!  Real men pull collective to increase 🤪

I just leave the throttle as is to keep things simple for my brain - forward for pull collective. 

10 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Yeah, saw that. Definitely going to give the Tomcat a try, and the Viggen too, if I have the time.

It's about time the Viggen people gave us a taste. A month of every plane and map for free and not a five minute demo with the Viggen. Looking forward to it. And to trying out the F-14 with the carrier.

My new favourite thing (until the next one), using the Tpod to lock targets up, and then slaving them to a maverick, enabling you to target with mavs from way way away instead of getting to close to nasties and having a much better resolution than the mav serach screen....

Vid starts after i've already locked up a target from 20,000 ft with the Tpod just cruising in,

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, Tycoon said:

So I read that trakir use above 60 fps causes stutters, so i limited the fps and lowered all settings and the frequency of the stutters went down but they still happen about every 20 seconds, and they last for about 3 seconds, not really playable right now.

I have the same thing. Every 10-20 secs i get a massive freeze for about 1 sec.

The rest of the time i get more than 120fps.

Makes the game unplayable.

17 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I have the same thing. Every 10-20 secs i get a massive freeze for about 1 sec.

The rest of the time i get more than 120fps.

Makes the game unplayable.

I just upgraded to 32gb and that seems to have stopped most of the freezes. I took alook at the ram usage and it was up at 22gb.

I see there’s another hefty sale on again! Might get some campaigns. Any recommendations?

18 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Vid starts after i've already locked up a target from 20,000 ft with the Tpod just cruising in,

How do you manage to put the Mavs exactly onto the designated TPOD-target? Whenever I try doing that, the Mav is offset and for some reason, I can't seem to slew the Mav around.

The old TGP-depress while slewing the Mav-seeker doesn't work. Neither does just slewing the Mav with the TGP. The diamond os over on the Mav-DDI.

Did I miss something? I tried in Area track, Point track and just stabilized mode. Nothing works for me...

3 hours ago, JohnHolmes said:

I just upgraded to 32gb and that seems to have stopped most of the freezes. I took alook at the ram usage and it was up at 22gb.

Jesus H Christ lol!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

How do you manage to put the Mavs exactly onto the designated TPOD-target? Whenever I try doing that, the Mav is offset and for some reason, I can't seem to slew the Mav around.

The old TGP-depress while slewing the Mav-seeker doesn't work. Neither does just slewing the Mav with the TGP. The diamond os over on the Mav-DDI.

Did I miss something? I tried in Area track, Point track and just stabilized mode. Nothing works for me...

After the target is locked with the tpod, make the maverick SOI, and then press the cage/uncage button. Sometimes have to do it a couple of times (recage, uncage), its not perfect. I tend to aim slightly off to watch the slight movement of the seeker head as i uncage it.

The biggest issue i have i believe, is if you don't get the area or point track exactly right, the mav won't lock on, as i belive it still has to see a heat signature where the tpod is telling it to look, on hand over. I may be talking rubbish there, but that's what I think happens.

I only started experimenting with it a couple of days ago, so haven't got it down pat yet myself. Very satisfying when it works though!

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1

Just had my first flight in the Tomcat. Managed to take off from Nellis, and land again without breaking it, though I need to figure out a few more of the controls. Even got a complement on my landing from the guy in the back, who hadn't said a word previously, even when I pulled into a supersonic vertical climb over the Vegas Strip. I expect he's used to that sort of thing...

All in all, an impressive model. Cockpit in particular is very evocative of its time, complete with Space Invaders game in the middle of the instrument panel (where is the coin slot?) and a whole lot of instruments you have to look at three times to figure out what they are telling you. Having the wings wander around backwards and forwards as they feel like it takes a bit of getting used to too, though mostly they seemed to have a more sensible idea about keeping the thing in the air than I did. 

My next objective, once I've sorted out a bit more of the switchery. will be landing the beast on a carrier. Going to be tricky no doubt, though maybe the extra inertia will help me avoid the overcontrolling issues that seem to be at the root of my struggles with the Hornet.

11 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Just had my first flight in the Tomcat. Managed to take off from Nellis, and land again without breaking it, though I need to figure out a few more of the controls. Even got a complement on my landing from the guy in the back, who hadn't said a word previously, even when I pulled into a supersonic vertical climb over the Vegas Strip. I expect he's used to that sort of thing...

All in all, an impressive model. Cockpit in particular is very evocative of its time, complete with Space Invaders game in the middle of the instrument panel (where is the coin slot?) and a whole lot of instruments you have to look at three times to figure out what they are telling you. Having the wings wander around backwards and forwards as they feel like it takes a bit of getting used to too, though mostly they seemed to have a more sensible idea about keeping the thing in the air than I did. 

My next objective, once I've sorted out a bit more of the switchery. will be landing the beast on a carrier. Going to be tricky no doubt, though maybe the extra inertia will help me avoid the overcontrolling issues that seem to be at the root of my struggles with the Hornet.

now then, try the walkman..

Guys how important is ssd for dcs? Every time I try to fly online my game crashes, all I can do know is try to clear up some space on the ssd, I'm maxed out at 16 gig ram so can't change that. I used to play some years ago and I can't believe how bad the performance is now, with settings set as low as possible. 

19 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

Guys how important is ssd for dcs? Every time I try to fly online my game crashes, all I can do know is try to clear up some space on the ssd, I'm maxed out at 16 gig ram so can't change that. I used to play some years ago and I can't believe how bad the performance is now, with settings set as low as possible. 

SSD should only be important for fast loading of the game. I guess it could help if you are over-running your RAM space and spilling over into the hard drive.
What are your other specs?

Posted (edited)

I don't use an SSD for DCS.

Screen_200619_205005.thumb.jpg.44430bd42b105e29919a012953070e1c.jpg

What am I doing wrong, though?

L-Mavs are hit or miss for me. Especially when I fired another type of ordnance before. This time it was two Foxtrott Mavericks (the first hitting, the second killing the building next door...).

Some other people had reported theyx can only autolase on the first L-Mav. But here, it won't even recognize the trigger-laze.

Must be some kind of bug 🤔

Edited by Bremspropeller

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

L-Mavs are hit or miss for me. Especially when I fired another type of ordnance before. This time it was two Foxtrott Mavericks (the first hitting, the second killing the building next door...).

Some other people had reported theyx can only autolase on the first L-Mav. But here, it won't even recognize the trigger-laze.

I haven't played with the laser mavericks (E 's) so far. I've just been using the F's at the moment. 

I'll record myself using them now, and work out exactly what i do for you, button press wise. 

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

SSD should only be important for fast loading of the game. I guess it could help if you are over-running your RAM space and spilling over into the hard drive.
What are your other specs?

16 gig ram, gtx 1070, laptop.

Edited by Tycoon

1 hour ago, Tycoon said:

If your RAM maxes out, you‘re just asking for stutters and other trouble. I would dial down settings until 16 gig is enough. Also check VRAM usage.

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

200€ for 2TB SSD. SATA is enough for games.

For DCS really best to have min of 32 GB ram.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Ok, I have reviewed what I said earlier with regards to using the F's and I missed something key out!!!! 

So procedure is with the Tpod SOI, find and lock your target into point track, then most importantly TDC depress once its a point track, you will see a small cross appear inside the little box that appears with a point track. Then all you haver to do is SOI the Maverick page, it should automatically uncage and slew to that point now, ready to fire when in range.

Point track,

449DesktopScreenshot202.jpg

After TDC depress,

6e4DesktopScreenshot202.jpg

I have recorded a flight doing it, and can upload to youtube if you want. Haven't got around to playing with the laser Mavs yet, work tomorrow!

Edited by DD_fruitbat

Okay, I am intrigued by the Viggen.  Very Ikea on the outside and very Austin Maestro inside.:wacko:

Has some interesting handling qualities and a thrust reverser!  Might be a keeper if it's carrier capable😎