I almost pre-ordered, but being a single player guy, the fact that it may be a long time before campaigns come out for it, and that we will have the entire world in a month for under twice the price... 

The map looks good, except for the far mountain rendering, I can't believe how bad it looks.

20 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

No pre-order on Steam. :angry:

You and your steam valve fetish.  
grow up, your a lumberjack and you are ok. 
you can do standalone, like us men do. 
you can do it

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

You and your steam valve fetish.  
grow up, your a lumberjack and you are ok. 
you can do standalone, like us men do. 
you can do it

Oh you're just a ray of sunshine aren't you.  :rolleyes:

Not sure why I have DCS on Steam but it did end up that way. 

After updating to the latest beta am now getting "DCS has crashed" on start up.  Oh dear.:(

On the other hand, I've just watched Frugalsim's youtube report on MS Flightsim 2020 and DCS not starting......don't seem to matter any more......:) 

S!

Updated DCS and works just fine. Never use mods or other modifications, just the vanilla game.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Next coming planes Eurofighter Typhoon , F15E ...

Edited by RAY-EU
  • Upvote 1

Was checking Steam to see if the Syria map was there, as if, and noticed a few of the planes went up in price. The F-14

and F-16 jumped from $103 to $112Cdn. Ouch! The dollar must have tanked.

Glad I got my F-18 on sale. 

Posted (edited)

This (and the F-8J) are actually the airplanes that I'm looking most forward to flying in DCS.

That Transall at ~13m is really jinking 🤘

Edited by Bremspropeller

3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

This (and the F-8J) are actually the airplanes that I'm looking most forward to flying in DCS.

That Transall at ~13m is really jinking 🤘

Mirage F1 in DCS? Did I miss something? I'd die for this... 

1 hour ago, OpticFlow said:

http://www.aviodev.com/?page_id=74&lang=en

Looks far from finished...

Yes, I just had a look at it - might be dead before arrival. Pitty, RASBAM does not create the Mirage F1 and the Mirage III. Epic planes in my opinion.

I'd prefer that Aviodev do it personally. They might be on the slow side but they did a ultimately great job with the C-101 and have made a very complete module with nearly full functionality and almost no bugs which they also continue to refine.

2 minutes ago, Tektolnes said:

I'd prefer that Aviodev do it personally. They might be on the slow side but they did a ultimately great job with the C-101 and have made a very complete module with nearly full functionality and almost no bugs which they also continue to refine.

Possible, I can't judge, but hey, if you tell us - good.

I was thinking about RAZBAM because they did and still do a great job with their Mirage 2000 and they have a very good connection to the "Armée de l'air", so

they might be at the right source.

They have always said the C101 was their priority and with this module almost complete, they'd shift more ressources over to the Mirage F1.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2020 at 3:48 PM, DBFlyguy said:

Yep, DCS has got to charge you extra for all those never to be finished products and bugs that will never be addressed 

That never ending development is not cheap!🤣

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, THERION said:

Possible, I can't judge, but hey, if you tell us - good.

I was thinking about RAZBAM because they did and still do a great job with their Mirage 2000 and they have a very good connection to the "Armée de l'air", so

they might be at the right source.

I have the Mirage 2000C and it is nice, but still incomplete after so many years... And they picked the simplest version, the French interceptor, and not export 2000E variants like the Greek with Exocet anti-ship missile or the Indian with ATLIS II laser targeting pod and MICA-IR upgrade. Compared to the F-18 module and all it's systems and guided weapons, the Mirage is just a notch over the F-5E Tiger level... 

3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

That never ending development is not cheap!🤣

Evidently not LOL

I like that helicopter-base on that mountain he's flying over.

Looks really interesting for night-fiddling in the Kiowa and other aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Cool Grim Reapers interview with one of the DCS bigwigs.

90% of players are SP.

Average DCS session is about 25 minutes.

And...

The Syria map doesn't come out until the end of September. Probably end of October. :angry:

I'll be neck deep in FS2020 by then.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I will tune my Trackir and fly Tobruk and fs 2020. DCS and VR will be third choice for a long while. 

The Hind does look nice. Though I'm not a fan of the fan. 😉 

HindFan.png

Why is it that so many Soviet-era aircraft seem to have been designed on the assumption that being able to see where you are going is some sort of decadent Western affectation?

• Upvote 1

@AndyJWest What you see on a flat screen doesn't represent what pilot sees IRL. Only VR can give you an idea. Take Aircobra for example - terrible rear visibility on a flat screen, while in VR it's actually pretty good.

Just now, Arthur-A said:

@AndyJWest What you see on a flat screen doesn't represent what pilot sees IRL. Only VR can give you an idea. Take Aircobra for example - terrible rear visibility on a flat screen, while in VR it's actually pretty good.

Certainly having two eyes rather than one helps. And no doubt the fan blades are a little less obvious when it is rotating. All the same though, I can't help feeling that it would obstruct the view IRL. And that if they'd put it a little higher (or found something a little less bulky) the view could have been better. 

Anyway, it is what it is. It is presumably historically correct. No doubt if I fly it, I'll get used to it. LIndburgh had a worse view, and he managed well enough - though presumably he wasn't too worried about colliding with trees and the like, most of the time... 😀 

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

The Hind does look nice. Though I'm not a fan of the fan. 😉 

HindFan.png

Why is it that so many Soviet-era aircraft seem to have been designed on the assumption that being able to see where you are going is some sort of decadent Western affectation?

If you switch that fan on, your field of view will dramatically improve.

The opposite may be the case with your haircut, though.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

If you switch that fan on, your field of view will dramatically improve.

The opposite may be the case with your haircut, though.

In Soviet Russia, plane trims pilot!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Did you know you could go gliding in DCS? Just aerotow a heli with engine of on an awacs.. kinda dicey but fun:

but I am not gonna lie: this was costly research...

Edited by Monostripezebra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wake me when there's a reason to install and purchase the MiG 15 and Sabre.

Or wake my grandkids.

My new T16000M was waiting for me when I got home, and though it was painful to retire my MSFFB2 after more than a decade, it was showing its age and was taking the fun out of the flying. The T16000M is much more accurate, though a bit light on the springs, and having a working POV hat switch again is great.

Flying the Harrier for the last hour has been a real treat. Sure wouldn't mind a few more buttons though. If I can figure out some macros between the flightstick and the TWCS throttle, it's gonna be fat city. 

Was toying with the idea of a Stream Deck, but it's stupid expensive, but I had an idea: number keypads that can be programmed. $20 each, set them up on little stands in frotn of the monitor and program them to work as the MFD buttons in the Harrier.  Anyone else try that?

61SrWPO+5DL._AC_SS350_.jpg

24 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

My new T16000M was waiting for me when I got home, and though it was painful to retire my MSFFB2 after more than a decade, it was showing its age and was taking the fun out of the flying. The T16000M is much more accurate, though a bit light on the springs, and having a working POV hat switch again is great.

Flying the Harrier for the last hour has been a real treat. Sure wouldn't mind a few more buttons though. If I can figure out some macros between the flightstick and the TWCS throttle, it's gonna be fat city. 

Was toying with the idea of a Stream Deck, but it's stupid expensive, but I had an idea: number keypads that can be programmed. $20 each, set them up on little stands in frotn of the monitor and program them to work as the MFD buttons in the Harrier.  Anyone else try that?

61SrWPO+5DL._AC_SS350_.jpg

I've fiddled around with using a non programmable numeric keypad, but that was of limited use. Where did you find a programmable one that cheap?

Currently, along with my T.16000M, I'm using a gamepad - mounted on a bracket so I don't need to hold it. This gives 10 buttons, along with 2 x 2-way analog sticks and a POV hat fairly cheaply. And I use the gamepad for other games anyway, though I could do with finding a neater way to secure it to the bracket than the rubber bands I'm currently using. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I've fiddled around with using a non programmable numeric keypad, but that was of limited use. Where did you find a programmable one that cheap?

Currently, along with my T.16000M, I'm using a gamepad - mounted on a bracket so I don't need to hold it. This gives 10 buttons, along with 2 x 2-way analog sticks and a POV hat fairly cheaply. And I use the gamepad for other games anyway, though I could do with finding a neater way to secure it to the bracket than the rubber bands I'm currently using. 

Amazon has a programmable model, "MoKo Numeric Keypad", for $20. Some aren't programmable  but this one appears to be except for the top row of buttons according to the reviews.. Can't find the model on American Amazon, just Canadian. I assume that to be "programmable" your PC - or your flightsim - simply has to read it as a separate device and not simply a copy of the number keypad on your keyboard, is that right? 

I like your gamepad idea, that's pretty cool. I'm going to check that out. If I steal your idea, do I have to pay you royalties? 

Edit: Do the gamepad joysticks work on DCS or does the game ignore them the way it - hyper annoyingly -  ignores the little joystick on my TWCS throttle?

Edited by CanadaOne

@CanadaOne. I can't seem to find a programmable Moko numeric keypad listed on Amazon. I'd make sure you really are getting that before purchasing, as all the programmable keyboards I've seen listed are a lot more expensive.

And no, you definitely need external software to use a keypad as another 'device' - Windows only sends 'key pressed' messages etc to software, and doesn't say which device they came from. It doesn't distinguish between identical keys on different devices, and software (e.g. DCS) accordingly won't know (and wouldn't be expected to check anyway). It can be done with external software, but this is a bit of a kluge, and relies on fiddling with  core Windows USB handling to redefine the keys (or treat them as joystick buttons) before they are sent to applications. I've  tried this previously, but it really isn't that useful, and the only software I found that could do it was in a very unstable state.

As for using gamepads with DCS (or other applications), I've never had any trouble, even when using them via the generic Windows game controller drivers. In my experience, it is generally custom drivers etc that cause problems, rather than Windows, or the hardware. The Thrustmaster TARGET software in particular seems to have issues, so I've not installed that.

• Thanks 1