Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

How come they have these Limies driving on the Yankee side of the road?

Really, the bloody nerve!... I don't object to being a 'Limey', but if someone is going to throw a derogatory term in my direction, at least have the decency to spell it correctly!

Flippin 'Muricans'!

Edited by Trooper117

6 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

Yeah really. Attention to detail my arse.

Joking aside, I own the Normandy map and I must say flying in the BoBP map is somewhat underwhelming now. It seems so sterile and empty.

That is a major problem with BoX maps, they look like giant ghost towns. I understand that for the sake of performance you can't have traffic jams and parades all over the map, but would it kill them to included a populated airfield or two? If you chose to take off from the runway in the QMB, that airfield should at least have, I don't know, one entire truck parked close by just for the sake of having something to look at. Isn't that something that would take them about, I don't know... four-seconds to do?

Adding some life to the maps would make the flying a lot more fun.

• Upvote 2

Very satisfying mission, Some Tomcat fun, both got 2 Mig 29's and landed safely, what more could you want....

f00DesktopScreenshot202.jpg

By the way, as someone who lives close to Dover castle and has been more times than I care to mention, that is a incredible recreation, all those roads actually exist that guy was driving along, and the view looking down over Dover is spot on. Truly incredible.

16 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

Yeah really. Attention to detail my arse.

Joking aside, I own the Normandy map and I must say flying in the BoBP map is somewhat underwhelming now. It seems so sterile and empty.

Channel map made it difficult going back to GB. 
I am no expert in planes either. But flying the P 47 alone in 3 days it felt very potent and agile then I took it against ai opponents. It still felt potent but you got punished hard when trying to turn after the dora or 109. It simply feel better but at the same time kept its back draws. I went back to gb and flew the same setup and meh. Channel map and P 47 despite its unfinished appearance has set the bar very high. I hope they get rid of the awkward bungee cord feeling when using pitch and rudder. It is something there that suppose not to be there. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, OpticFlow said:

I'm amazed that at 17:00 when he goes down that long rail tunnel that he didn't meet Monostripezebra coming the other way in a Mig-21 going mach 2. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Channel map made it difficult going back to GB. 

They are two different beasts in their own way. As much as the Channel map is the best looking map by far, we'd be hard pressed to stick 40 planes in the air and some ground objects on the terrain and expect the frame rates to come across any faster than the opening notes of Beethoven's 5th. But on the BoX maps, you can have 40 planes and ground objects and still enjoy fluid FPS. it's a difference I can appreciate. And though DCS has better lighting, I think, the clouds and rain on the canopy stuff in BoX wins in that department.

But DCS makes it easier to work with what's offered, and that's no small thing.

25 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

But DCS makes it easier to work with what's offered, and that's no small thing.

I am in my normal cycle of sims. Right now easy stuff on DCS. Soon probably chopper campaign then maybe GB again. 
Channel map and P 47 give me something atm

18 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Wait a minute! That vehicle didn’t exist until 1974😲 OMG I’m going to have to uninstall DCS and start foaming at the mouth 🤪

That is not the only thing. When looking at the arrangement of tabels and two chairs per table it is according the current COVID-19 social distancing guidelines.

Historically incorrect. Not a WWII worthy map IMHO. :negative:

Back to the drawing table DCS!

Channel Detail.jpg

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am in my normal cycle of sims. Right now easy stuff on DCS. Soon probably chopper campaign then maybe GB again. 
Channel map and P 47 give me something atm

Yeah, it's mostly DCS here too. The BoX QMB is killing me, it's like eating the same can of soup for three-hundred days in a row. Until this sim brings its SP content creation up a level or two, or three, it's going to get less and less attention. 

• Upvote 2

Quick question; I’ve been trying to populate my super carrier with static objects in the mission builder but none of them actually appear in the mission🤔 Is it actually possible to do this at the moment? I’m a novice DCS mission builder so it’s quite possible that the problem is between my ears!

A guy familiar with the region pointed on the blue forum that the map has a lot of estates and facilities on it (the UK-side), which were buit between '70s and 90's (and I'm talking about XX century here :D), including a friggin' nuclear power-plant. I guess it makes the map somewhat All-In-One correct for modern DCS planes as well, offering distance-AND-time travels depending on which grid square you're flying over ;). It IS a bloody good-lookin' map though, at least in those high-detailed areas.

37 minutes ago, Art-J said:

A guy familiar with the region pointed on the blue forum that the map has a lot of estates and facilities on it (the UK-side), which were buit between '70s and 90's (and I'm talking about XX century here :D), including a friggin' nuclear power-plant. I guess it makes the map somewhat All-In-One correct for modern DCS planes as well, offering distance-AND-time travels depending on which grid square you're flying over ;). It IS a bloody good-lookin' map though, at least in those high-detailed areas.

About the nuclear power plant, it is a bit different actually:

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Quick question; I’ve been trying to populate my super carrier with static objects in the mission builder but none of them actually appear in the mission🤔 Is it actually possible to do this at the moment? I’m a novice DCS mission builder so it’s quite possible that the problem is between my ears!

Search for redkites dcs vids and look for the super carrier ones.

He links and explains lua files and triggers he's created that will do it all for you 👍

EDIT, here you go,

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Arthur, Have you linked them to the carrier? Cant fully remember what the tick box is called but its on the right of the window that pops up when you place the object and  you basically select the unit that you want the static to stick to there. Without that they just float off. 

Redkites stuff works really well and isnt so complicated once you get into it. Just remember to get the ID (not the unit name) of the carrier for the templates. 

If you are setting up the boat for stuff like cold starts and other such practice rather then MP I would also recommend avoiding the six pack area (I think its called) for your spawn as any AI tends to drive into you or block your path. The AI also treats statics like ghosts and will pass through them so avoid blocking the 1 and 2 cats if stuff is taking off and if you want any scenery around the bridge without anything passing through them , block out the rear SB elevator with a couple of fighters or an angled E2 or C3 (military aircraft mod), put  three F18s or F14s in Jurrassic park and park an E2 towards the front of the superstructure at a point where its in line with Cat 3's blast deflector.  

I highly recommend Blacklibrarys USN deck objects mod as it contains older type MD3 tractors, yellow paint versions of things like the forklifts (both for pre mid 90s looks) tractor towbars and chocks (which are a PITA to place but add a nice touch to the otherwise unrealistically un chocked statics).   The mod is also useful for placing an occasional fire extingusher along your line of sight to hide the fact that the static helos are either sunk into or float above the deck. Sadly they dont block "So 1987" low poly helos completely or for that matter the  seemingly 1 poloygon S3 (although there some mods and skins that make them passable if viewed from jupiter..) 

After all that you and can sit back and revell in your own growing frustration as you gradually realise that there isnt a single point in time that can be currently recreated with the aircraft available let alone the markings. No decent SH3 (even if you do mod it into the game), no HH60, no A6, no A7, No EA6B, no decent S3, no decent SH60 no EA18G, no super hornets, no auxillary ships, no push back,........but we all got imaginations i suppose. 

I have a Gulf  miz file with a fully loaded CVN 71 that also uses an adapted version of one of RedKites mass recovery templates and the older AI F18s if you weant to have a look (i can also send you the mods) but im guessing you will want to create your own. 

Enjoy! It is quite addictive. 

On 6/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, CanadaOne said:

I'm going to check again, but I got better performance over England, even populated areas, than over France. Maybe I changed some settings, not sure.

Took the Huey up over England last night. It's a great chopper map.

There a little mod by Kegety http://junk.kegetys.fi/shadows.lua 

You will find the lua it realtes to in the root folder of the game/Config/Effects

It cuts down the shadows whilst still allowing the default terrain option to be used (so the shdows conform to the landscape). It really helps FPS overall and allows for a full fat graphical experience you may not otherwise be able to acheive (system dependent - your mileage may vary). Whilst i probably wouldnt recommend it for planes, for low/slow flying Helo stuff its perfect (the deleting of the first stream in the mod makes the shadows dissappear at about 1000ft hence why its less good for things with wings).  

Using that as a idea I tinkered with a copy of the orginal and kept the number of streams untouched whilst reducing the shadow map size to 2048. Sub 1000ft flying there is no noticable difference to the shadows from what you would see with them on full goodies modes. Above that Id imagine the draw size of the map will become apparent but what the hell are doing flying over 1000ft in a chopper anyhow? 🙂

Edited by BOO
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My only access to The Channel map is with Instant Action and trying to use VR with my Pimax 5K+ is impossible due to a totally  unstable

view.  I end up having to go back to my TrackIR in order to fly around.

I also can't access The Channel with Create Fast Mission as I get a Node missing alert when I try to pick a starting point and

then it reverts back to the DCS home screen.

Is this a typical problem or has someone found a workaround or a special setup?

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, ACG_KoN said:

Good Speed and stable gun platform at the moment ,  i can boom and zoom keep tabs on the 190  . Rudder for me is abit wonky . input wise . i need to play around with settings i think .

I prefer the blackout method in DCS . #

its gets squirrelly below 150mph, i think thats to be expected. definitely requires alot more trim when you change power settings, i've seen utube vids where some get a bad nose wobble in a dive, or do a climbing turn. i've had no problems so long as i've had the trim set and kept 150+mph. i haven't had the need to use the dive recovery brakes yet, so long as i remember to close the cowl completely. there is no helicoptering it with flaps down +++. the flaps will help your turn at low speed, but your only going to lose more speed and have to drop your nose if you maintian that turn rate. going into a dive and attaining 500mph and then leveling out, it seems to retain its airspeed longer before dropping to 320mph. you can boom and zoom the 190A8 ai and in most cases out turn the A8 ai. this is without WEP it isn't working yet and its still WIP... so far as to how it looks and the clickable cockpit +++

Edited by 361st_Porkie-

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BOO said:

Arthur, Have you linked them to the carrier? Cant fully remember what the tick box is called but its on the right of the window that pops up when you place the object and  you basically select the unit that you want the static to stick to there. Without that they just float off. 

That was the one BOO!   Now I can carry on populating my super carrier with the Fleet Air Arm:salute:

Thanks also for all the other info.  Plenty of stuff to look through.

I can see why Canada One likes the mission builder;  it's simple, intuitive and just gets on and......does it.....:) 

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

That was the one BOO!   Now I can carry on populating my super carrier with the Fleet Air Arm:salute:

Thanks also for all the other info.  Plenty of stuff to look through.

I can see why Canada One likes the mission builder;  it's simple, intuitive and just gets on and......does it.....:) 

Yep, love me some DCS mission editor. As easy or as complicated as you want it to be. To me, it's a great big fat juicy QMB with all the bells and whistles.

I want my plane... there! And some armour... there! And some AAA... there! Done in seconds and fly. Want to change it? Done in seconds and fly. Every flight is my flight, exactly the way I want it, fast and easy.

That is how it should be done. :cool:

• Upvote 2

The DCS P-47 is very much early access...but it’s already a masterpiece. And flying the 47/51/Spit on the new Channel map...be still my heart! 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

It is unique 

It contain easy access and learning curve. And get very powerful if you raise the bar and curve get steeper. 

18 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

Channel map is with Instant Action and trying to use VR with my Pimax 5K+ is impossible due to a totally  unstable

Win 10 had a update causing nvidia to update their drivers. Have you installed them? Because I had problems with GB yesterday and had to install latest driver. 
I run Rift S on pretty high settings (relative) on my 1090 ti and channelmap is smooth and beautiful

13 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Yep, love me some DCS mission editor. As easy or as complicated as you want it to be. To me, it's a great big fat juicy QMB with all the bells and whistles.

I want my plane... there! And some armour... there! And some AAA... there! Done in seconds and fly. Want to change it? Done in seconds and fly. Every flight is my flight, exactly the way I want it, fast and easy.

That is how it should be done. :cool:

I am mostly content with just editing the qmb missions already there. Put bombs on the P 47 ground attack mission put the enemy flight lower and closer 

it is a great tool. 

19 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

It is unique 

It contain easy access and learning curve. And get very powerful if you raise the bar and curve get steeper. 

Win 10 had a update causing nvidia to update their drivers. Have you installed them? Because I had problems with GB yesterday and had to install latest driver. 
I run Rift S on pretty high settings (relative) on my 1090 ti and channelmap is smooth and beautiful

No Win10 here, still on Win7. But with FS2020 happening, and the new CPUs all requiring Win10, I'm going to have to get it.

19 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am mostly content with just editing the qmb missions already there. Put bombs on the P 47 ground attack mission put the enemy flight lower and closer 

it is a great tool. 

I don't use the missions/QMB missions in DCS, I make every flight through the mission editor. I find the pre-made stuff always has aspects I'm not interested in. Kind of like the missions and campaigns here, including the paid ones. I'm presented with a time of day I might not want, and then fly from here to wayyyyy over there - with all the excitement of waiting for the toaster to pop - and then am presented with a few targets followed by a long ass flight home. I don't find it very interesting.

42 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I don't use the missions/QMB missions in DCS, I make every flight through the mission editor. I find the pre-made stuff always has aspects I'm not interested in. Kind of like the missions and campaigns here, including the paid ones. I'm presented with a time of day I might not want, and then fly from here to wayyyyy over there - with all the excitement of waiting for the toaster to pop - and then am presented with a few targets followed by a long ass flight home. I don't find it very interesting.

This is exactly why I feel about both games.  Thanks for expressing it better than could

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

It is unique 

it is a great tool. 

LuseKofte,

I updated windows 10, updated Nvidia, updated todays Beta release and DCS in 2d with monitor and trackerIR runs smooth but VR continues to

be an exercise in futility.  I give up on The Channel Map in VR.

Edited by fiddlinjim
spelling

12 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

LuseKofte,

I updated windows 10, updated Nvidia, updated todays Beta release and DCS in 2d with monitor and trackerIR runs smooth but VR continues to

Well this is a far too familiar problem. I have waited out unstable DCS open beta for month to end. Suddenly it run smooth again snd next update it is not. I feel your pain. 

19 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

LuseKofte,

New Channel Map suffers greatly in VR, even on my stout rig low over land I cannot maintain ASW of 40 fps for my Rift S. At least at the same setting as I run

for the Hornet in Persian Gulf.

I won't be using that map until they make some optimizations.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

New Channel Map suffers greatly in VR, even on my stout rig low over land I cannot maintain ASW of 40 fps for my Rift S. At least at the same setting as I run

For the moment, at least, I'm glad I'm not in VR. My specs are half of what yours, but I can get the Channel map to run well enough to enjoy. That's either sightseeing or low calorie combat, and it does look sweet.

But... Amazon delivered my 2x8GB of RAM today - to replace my 1x8 - and I threw those in right away. There's no night and day improvement so far, but the Normandy and Persian Gulf maps seemed to run smoother. I tried using the new RAM with my old RAM to get 24GB, and though I checked the seating, it still only reads as 16. I'll check the seating again. I have the new RAM in slots 1 and 3 and the old in 2. I'll try it in 4.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I run it smooth over rooftop with acceptable tuned down graphics. Still beautiful and still textures on high but with pixel set to 1,2 as nd not 1,6 as I do in persian gulf

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Don, thanks for the response, you and Lusekofte were very helpful on this issue.

Bought the map in the end, and although it certainly needs some optimisation and is the worst performing map for me, I’m finding a lot of joy just flying low over the countryside in a helicopter. It’s certainly a beautiful map.

I found Normandy map very demanding  before  I have not flown it ever since. 
Has it become better?

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Has it become better?

Smoother since I doubled my RAM yesterday.

You have a really nice machine, you still don't find the map friendly?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Smoother since I doubled my RAM yesterday.

You have a really nice machine, you still don't find the map friendly?

I really never used the ww2 modules as other stuff than fsx sceenery flights. Then Yak 52 came and I used it. I 16 another great ac does not really belong there so I used caucasus for it. 
P 47 is the second after I 16 I fired a weapon with ww 2 ac

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Has it become better?

Yeah they got it a little better than it was after initial release.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah they got it a little better than it was after initial release.

Do you think the same will happen with Channel map. It is a bit boring having to adjust graphics everytime changing to or from it

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

4 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Do you think the same will happen with Channel map. It is a bit biring having to adjust graphics everytime changing to or from it

I am hoping so. It is certainly getting some attention I think over on their forums.

They've been pretty good with the maps. All of them saw quality updates.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:41 PM, Dijital_Majik said:

Lets go back in time a little:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, OpticFlow said:

Lets go back in time a little:

Amazing, I had a SNES but didn't know this even existed!!  Will have to hunt it down.  I always played Fleet Defender around that time:

As for DCS, I've made a user theme for the F/A-18 with the old Amiga F/A-18 Interceptor music and splash/loading screens, but can't quite figure out how to get the music working yet, but when I do it'll be nostalgia abound. 

Edited by Dijital_Majik
  • Upvote 1

I played Turn and Burn No Fly Zone quite a bit. Missions were a bit repetitive but good game. Also for SNES F-15E Strike Eagle, and the M1A1 Abrams game with similar gameplay.