Combat Box by Red Flight

VBF-12_KW
45 minutes ago, GOA_Companere-VR- said:

People should go for the plane, not for the man.

Unless you're flying a .50 plane - in which case you need to Git Gud.

• Thanks 1
MeoW.Scharfi
1 hour ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Chute killing is for morons (even more on CB as there are no pilot limits or things like that). End of the story :salute:

just like teamkilling on purpose huh?

Krupinski gets teamkilled by JG300_Faucon after he shot down 2 of his JG300 teammates being in the enemy team, so Faucon who was in the same team like krupinski decided to teamkill krupinski and revenge his 2 squadronmates.

Was on TAW quite some time ago, we checked stats and it was Faucon who shoot at Karaya because Karaya "stole" his kills

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
GOA_Firebird_
17 minutes ago, VBF-12_KW said:

Unless you're flying a .50 plane - in which case you need to Git Gud.

Totally agreed 😁

Faucon

@MeoW.Scharfi 

This is me reading your message:

234941c9d553eea76de2067b9b2b30cd.gif

So there is a talk about your chute kill and chute killing in general, and you point out "disputes" from the past between you, Krupinski and me? 

I will even give you a hand: Yes sometimes my ego get out of boundaries and drive to dumb reactions. Damn! :biggrin: But probably it never happened for you... ha ha :rolleyes:

In case you didn't know, all of this is over since quite a long time. Well, at least with Krupinski. In your case, it seems you can't get ride of it. 

Make me think of the dumb politics (or others) when they are digging as deep as they can in the past of someone to find anything they can to demeaning him. Something I won't do by the way, mainly because I don't care, but also no time to loose looking for some old chatlogs where you went crazy after being shot down or saying bullshits about negative Gs, that I don't know what I'm taking about, while it's in fact my job (taking Gs).

Are you having such a very bad day to over react like this?

See you in the air, chute killer. You are better at shooting planes than chutes.

PS: About the video of Karaya, it's not me :rolleyes:

Edited by JG300_Faucon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket

I see that for someone chute killing is an usual bad habit hard to die.....

• Like 1
GOA_Firebird_
9 hours ago, ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket said:

I see that for someone chute killing is an usual bad habit hard to die.....

sadly it is something that in effect will continue to happen, however there is still a large number of players who think that there is still a bit of honor in the game. On the other hand, executing that action also corresponds to a direct reflection of the kind of person you are. Ultimately this creates a rotten environment and standardizes a bad habit for new players (aside from being a waste of ammo).

SYN_Haashashin

Hi all,

Chutekilling is a delicated thing so, at least try not to get personal with each other...no need of it and of course not welcome in this forums.

Haash

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
StaB/Tomio_VR***

We call them "The Infernal Couple" in the C6 squadron.

Say something to him : She will protect him

Say something to her : He will protect her

Shoot them down and they always have an excuse

Beat them with teamplay and they call for 1 vs 1 dual xD

They are litteraly spamming the chat bar. We see only them when they are together online, typing compulsively like FPS players and it's a hell to witness

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Alonzo

Mission end timer is 5 seconds, that's all I'll further say on that one. As for the other behaviors, there are a set of players who game the game as hard as they can, shoulder shoot, get the last hits in on crippled planes, and all sorts of other 'experten' crap. Oh well, gamers gonna game.

For the call signs, I think it's unlikely we'll ever have separate English and German call signs because it adds too much for the speech recognition engine to learn. The 'German' call signs aren't super immersive, I guess that's true, but then neither is having Brits and Yanks yelling at each other on the 'German' channels. 😉  But please, if the German voices are difficult to understand or say something funny (like 'mitzionne' instead of 'mission') please let me know and I can try to coerce them into being pronounced a little closer to the English. For example, I now convert 'mission' into 'mish'n' before doing text-to-speech, so that the German version is understandable. We have about 150 of these "phonetic fixes" and it's pretty simple to add more.

p.s. We have a southern-US pilot who consistently asks for (and receives) "Cowboy One". His radio calls are frigging fantastic, lots of fun, very immersive.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
ITAF_Airone1989
6 hours ago, Alonzo said:

For the call signs, I think it's unlikely we'll ever have separate English and German call signs because it adds too much for the speech recognition engine to learn. The 'German' call signs aren't super immersive, I guess that's true, but then neither is having Brits and Yanks yelling at each other on the 'German' channels. 😉  But please, if the German voices are difficult to understand or say something funny (like 'mitzionne' instead of 'mission') please let me know and I can try to coerce them into being pronounced a little closer to the English. For example, I now convert 'mission' into 'mish'n' before doing text-to-speech, so that the German version is understandable. We have about 150 of these "phonetic fixes" and it's pretty simple to add more.

Thanks Alonzo for your amazing job 😉

Edited by ITAF_Airone1989
  • Like 1
SCG_redcloud111

Yeah, really enjoying this new SRS system. Because of my time zone I tend to fly alone alot, and the new communication, even with a bot, gives a sense of real coordination. Great job.

• Like 3
StaB/Tomio_VR***
On 2/28/2021 at 3:19 PM, Alonzo said:

Maps updated: All of our maps have been updated to a 3 hour run time, up from 2.5 hours. All late war maps now feature the 190-A6.

In addition, specific maps have received the following changes:

• A Bridge Too Far - Increase number of objectives needed to win by 1 each side (now 7 instead of 6).
  • Skirmish at Velikie Luki - Reduce numbers of higher performing planes to better balance the plane set.
  • Mitchell's Men - Increase difficulty to destroy B-25 strategic targets unless the bombers get through. Decreased difficulty to destroy Allied artillery.
  • Crimean Offensive - Slightly increase difficulty to destroy Artillery and Defences objectives.
  • The Rhineland Campaign - Performance tweaks: Remove some AA and flak, and delete Allied tank convoys 5 minutes after they arrive or are destroyed.
  • Standoff in the Lowlands - Optimized Allied objectives to improve performance.

I don't know what the changes consisted into but since few days, the overall performance and so fun has really decreased.

On the map Standoff in the Lowlands, i experienced many slowdown for up to 10 seconds in the Kampfgruppe Chill area near Anvers.

You can see it recorded in C6_Petio's stream at 6'25 mn

It's not only over Antwerpen. I also experienced the same thing over Woensdrecht airfield 2 hours ago when there wasn't more than 25 players on the server 😕

CSW_606_Temp
4 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

I don't know what the changes consisted into but since few days, the overall performance and so fun has really decreased.

On the map Standoff in the Lowlands, i experienced many slowdown for up to 10 seconds in the Kampfgruppe Chill area near Anvers.

It's not only over Antwerpen. I also experienced the same thing over Woensdrecht airfield 2 hours ago when there wasn't more than 25 players on the server 😕

We have same experience in CSW. Around C6 massive lags last few months. Maybe this streaming generate lags around? 

II/JG11_Terzerole_VR

To the pilots on the Combat Box Server: Is it possible that you upload your skins in the HSD, please.

Alonzo
14 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Do you have a TacView recording? If not, could you enable TacView and make a recording? The TacView files show all the activity that your game client is seeing, so it's a good way to diagnose if there is 'extra' stuff going on.

I don't know why the new airfields would cause a performance change. It's one new airfield per side, with a couple of AA guns only.

SCG_redcloud111

Hey guys. Any idea why Tower would think I was already on the ground when I asked for landing clearance? I tried twice with “Tower, this is Outlaw 1 at grid 1608, requesting landing”. Both times I was acknowledged but the AI said something about me having landed. 

Thanks!

Edited by SCG_redcloud111
StaB/Tomio_VR***
On 3/9/2021 at 6:51 PM, Alonzo said:

I don't know why the new airfields would cause a performance change. It's one new airfield per side, with a couple of AA guns only.

Maybe because update after update, the game turns slightly "heavier" and request slightly more power

and considering Combat Box missions are already quite heavy, you should maybe lighten missions instead of adding more things

Just my opinion about all this recent phenomena (i don't have all parameters)

I'm in VR on a laptop and since i got it, i had to decrease shadows to high to make it playable on CB.

Since few days, i had to decrease clouds as well from extreme to high because it starts to be hard to fly when there is a lot of clouds...

Don't have Tacview. Will try.

• Like 2
Alonzo
On 3/9/2021 at 11:16 AM, SCG_redcloud111 said:

Hey guys. Any idea why Tower would think I was already on the ground when I asked for landing clearance? I tried twice with “Tower, this is Outlaw 1 at grid 1608, requesting landing”. Both times I was acknowledged but the AI said something about me having landed.

I ran into this bug also, I'm not sure why. D'you think I should just remove the check? I was thinking it would be helpful to avoid jokers who ask for landing clearance when they're already landed, but maybe people aren't going to do that anyhow.

Birdman

Was hearing german call outs ("achtung our bomber report fighter cover over allied obj XXX etc...") When flying allies last night 

SCG_redcloud111

@Alonzo. I really enjoy hearing the extra comments from Tower and Command. These are steps in the right direction in creating a sense you are really talking with an intelligent agent. I have only had the problem once. I will post if I hear it again.

BTW, @SCG_Vieira and I flew last night. With minimal guys on the server (maybe only 10) we saw more action than expected. I really think this is due to Command vectoring people to missions, telling where bombing runs are happening, where an enemy is spotted, as well as asking people with one mission to to divert to other hot areas. For example, I was updating my position as I patrolled an area given by command, and then was specifically tasked with moving south 10k to stop an attack near Aachen. 

I really think you have something with this new system. For me, it has created an entirely new and better experience. Great job. Keep it up.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
newbravado

Kept getting kicked off the server today, and on WoL also. Internet having troubles? Maybe a local thing. I don't know. Normally I have no troubles at all.

Alonzo
19 hours ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

For example, I was updating my position as I patrolled an area given by command, and then was specifically tasked with moving south 10k to stop an attack near Aachen. 

I really think you have something with this new system. For me, it has created an entirely new and better experience. Great job. Keep it up.

Thanks! The system is pretty cool when it works. The natural language understanding is a bit finnicky, I'd like to make it easier for pilots to talk to Command and convey their intentions. But yeah, when a bomber declares their target and ETA, and then 3 minutes before they arrive Command finds a nearby fighter and vectors it to provide cover, that's pretty awesome.

• Like 1
BH_Adabadoo_VR

@Alonzo

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56709-mod-for-il2-stats-system-more-options-for-disconnection-situations/

Is the disconnection mod still in use on combat box?

I'm using VR, specifically HP Reverb G2 and also Oculus Quest 2.  Both disconnect on occasion.  Bleeding edge tech seems to have its ups and downs.

Frequently I'm doing very well late at night not many players on then and I'm practicing and I get disconnect because of VR issues.  I don't mind losing my score for that mission so much as I didn't get back even though I wasn't in a dogfight and disconnecting but the fairness going down by 5 points each disconnect is a huge penalty when it's always hardware caused for me.  Is there a way to make the fairness 5 point penalty only for repeat offenders or for disconnecting during a dogfight only?  It seems harsh to lose your entire mission score be in good shape mopping up a target maybe minor aa damage only and lose everything and bonuses for the next hour of flight.  Then if the hardware disconnects again it stacks.  This is killing some G2 users that have cable issues and are waiting for HP to fix issues.  We still want to use the hardware as best we can but it would be great if there was a way to not be punished into the future games.

Really loving the SRS implementation!!!

Thanks for everything you guys do!

Adabadoo

@Alonzo

SRS voice training

Are you doing updates to the voice training app?  Would you like users to resubmit if there are updates?  I'd be happy to do it again.

I've been having the landing call say i'm already on ground issue others have reported

Also having issue getting objective to work

It always says I need to give grid position.  I've been calling it like it is in the voice training exe.  I give the grid each time.

SCG_redcloud111
4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Thanks! The system is pretty cool when it works. The natural language understanding is a bit finnicky, I'd like to make it easier for pilots to talk to Command and convey their intentions. But yeah, when a bomber declares their target and ETA, and then 3 minutes before they arrive Command finds a nearby fighter and vectors it to provide cover, that's pretty awesome

One thing I had not considered: I have been using Voice Command for several years now because I use VR. You have to setup voice recognition in Windows to make this work. I am not sure if you have provided directions on how to do this to make the AI understand you, but that could help people (if you are getting complains the AI is not recognizing voice commands). I assume your system is using the same Windows functionality to recognize a voice. In my case, the AI understands me if I follow the right procedure and am saying something appropriate. I test sometimes to see what is actually programmed in. For example, when hearing 110s are about to start a bombing run, I want to say something like, “Command, this is Outlaw 1, north of 1012, diverting to 1213 to cover attackers” I am wanting to hear a simple, Outlaw 1, copy on covering attackers in north. (Or something like that). 

Alonzo
1 hour ago, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

Is the disconnection mod still in use on combat box?

I'm using VR, specifically HP Reverb G2 and also Oculus Quest 2.  Both disconnect on occasion.  Bleeding edge tech seems to have its ups and downs.

I've been having the landing call say i'm already on ground issue others have reported

Also having issue getting objective to work

It always says I need to give grid position.  I've been calling it like it is in the voice training exe.  I give the grid each time.

The DC mod is still in use, although there's an updated version that I need to get going on the server (also a "split stats mod" that allows a fighter/attacker split in each pilot's stats, if you want to view it like that). The problem is that there are plenty of morons who Alt-F4 when someone gets on their six, and there's no way to tell the difference between that and a hardware crash or a network outage. It's hit me plenty too.

I'd be interested in more opinions on disconnect penalties. It's there to dissuade people from being dinks, not to penalize someone with hardware problems, but I'm not sure how we can tell the difference.

For the voice bot, if you're having problems can you send me a PM on Discord? That will give me a time stamp and I can scroll back through the speech bot logs and diagnose whether it's mishearing you, or if there's a bug in the bot code.

20 minutes ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

I assume your system is using the same Windows functionality to recognize a voice. In my case, the AI understands me if I follow the right procedure and am saying something appropriate. I test sometimes to see what is actually programmed in. For example, when hearing 110s are about to start a bombing run, I want to say something like, “Command, this is Outlaw 1, north of 1012, diverting to 1213 to cover attackers” I am wanting to hear a simple, Outlaw 1, copy on covering attackers in north. (Or something like that). 

It's not the Windows built-in, it's actually a custom system based on Mozilla DeepSpeech voice recognition, and then re-trained for our specific use case. This allows it to work on the server without anyone needing to install anything, and gives much more control than the Windows one. The big problem is that NLU - natural language understanding - needs to take a (possibly misheard/mis-transcribed) utterance from a pilot and then discern their intent. At the moment it's all fairly janky if/else code and if you're too far off what it expects, it won't recognize the phrase. It also doesn't allow simple multi-part conversations yet -- like "en route to target eta 6 minutes" - "understood, say target grid", "one four two five", "roger, your target weert defences, eta 6 minutes, we'll arrange fighter cover".

The good news is that the more people use the bot the more examples I have of how people want to interact with it, so I can improve it and offer new ways to talk to it. I think the "multipart conversation" thing is probably the most important next step, so the bot can ask for clarification of just a small part of what the user asked.

SCG_redcloud111
15 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

The good news is that the more people use the bot the more examples I have of how people want to interact with it, so I can improve it and offer new ways to talk to it. I think the "multipart conversation" thing is probably the most important next step, so the bot can ask for clarification of just a small part of what the user asked.

Oh, this is interesting. That is even better than people having to use Windows. I love this idea that its using machine learning based on anyone who speaks to it. I am a native English speaker, so maybe that is why it is working well for me. I also try to speak in terse, conversational tones and phrases. I am no pilot, but I use Pilot2ATC for MFS 2020, so I am used to speaking to a computer for responses. I even accidentally do call backs on CB after getting contacted by the Tower or Command. Anyway, if you ever need someone to help test any new feature let me know.

BH_Adabadoo_VR
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

The DC mod is still in use, although there's an updated version that I need to get going on the server (also a "split stats mod" that allows a fighter/attacker split in each pilot's stats, if you want to view it like that). The problem is that there are plenty of morons who Alt-F4 when someone gets on their six, and there's no way to tell the difference between that and a hardware crash or a network outage. It's hit me plenty too.

I'd be interested in more opinions on disconnect penalties. It's there to dissuade people from being dinks, not to penalize someone with hardware problems, but I'm not sure how we can tell the difference.

I can't tell how the DC mod is helping me

It seems every disconnect no matter what is complete loss of score and -5 to fairness no matter game situation at disconnect.

I'd like to see a mod to it where if you were in a dogfight at disconnect that is the only time it changed your fairness.  As in you got damaged by a human airplane and then within 5 minutes disconnected that's a fairness penalty.  But if more than 5 minutes no fairness change and all other disconnects no change to fairness.  All other penalty could stay same IMO.  Loss of mission score seems reasonable as you didn't finish.  Just my opinion but I don't see how a disconnect under other circumstances is warrants the unfair which builds up and totally kills future chance of scoring.  I suppose major AI flak damage could cause people to disconnect but is it really an issue?  Was it a problem in the past that needed solving?? Or are hardware crashes now suffering from a problem that never really manifested itself?  If it solved a major problem then I guess I should just suck it down with the bleeding edge hardware stuff...

Another way might be to log disconnects and if one happens in dogfight warning.

2 within week fairness hit

3 within month big fairness hit

4 ban for week kind of build up

But only if disconnected while damaged by human plane

Just my thoughts.

Maybe not effecting many but it's kills my tiny spirit at times.

: )

Thanks

Alonzo
9 hours ago, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

I can't tell how the DC mod is helping me

It's not, basically. The DC mod helps everyone else when someone disconnects. It will give you a kill if you tag a bandit and then they Alt-F4. It's discouraging pilots from combat logging when someone gets on their six, or bailing out of a perfectly good airplane when someone gets on their six. Those things really do happen (and quite a lot, you'd be surprised how often a bandit disappears when Red Flight drop on them....)

We have a tension between penalizing pilots who have a legitimate reason for a disconnect -- their game crashed or their network crapped out -- or letting combat loggers do whatever they want. Up until now we've gone with the "well, that sucks for someone with a hardware problem" and kept the penalty. Are you really ok with your setup crashing multiple times per week and dropping you out of your sortie? I'd be throwing my stuff at the wall if that happened (and believe me I am sympathetic, I'm on my 4th VR headset and crashes sure do happen).

Whenever I've had hardware crashes in the past I've prioritized fixing them because yeah, crashes suck, I waste 20 minutes getting into a sortie and then leave a wingman on their own, and it's an annoying experience.

You do gain fairplay back per hour of flight time. If it's steadily decreasing you're probably getting more than one crash per hour of flight time. That seems like a lot of crashing -- is that purely the cable issue? Can you Prime95 Large FFTs overnight with no crashes?

BREAK BREAK

New features in the GCI bot:

• Declare an emergency landing with "Tower, this is Maniac-5 grid 1015, emergency landing" (or variations) and the tower will acknowledge, clear traffic, and deny takeoff clearances while you land.
  • Ask the bot to repeat its last transmission with "Command, say again" or "Longbow, repeat your last transmission", or "Kenway, repeat please!". You must use the key word "Command", "Control", "Kenway" (etc) so the bot can be sure you're speaking to it rather than another pilot.

Full feature list and more examples here: https://combatbox.net/en/info/#cb-radio

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Charlo-VR
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Full feature list and more examples here: https://combatbox.net/en/info/#cb-radio

Ah, great, the link to save that I had missed before so I can see in one place all of the cool CombatBox SRS commands - thank you! 😀

BH_Adabadoo_VR
On 3/13/2021 at 9:14 AM, Alonzo said:

We have a tension between penalizing pilots who have a legitimate reason for a disconnect -- their game crashed or their network crapped out -- or letting combat loggers do whatever they want. Up until now we've gone with the "well, that sucks for someone with a hardware problem" and kept the penalty. Are you really ok with your setup crashing multiple times per week and dropping you out of your sortie? I'd be throwing my stuff at the wall if that happened (and believe me I am sympathetic, I'm on my 4th VR headset and crashes sure do happen).

Whenever I've had hardware crashes in the past I've prioritized fixing them because yeah, crashes suck, I waste 20 minutes getting into a sortie and then leave a wingman on their own, and it's an annoying experience.

You do gain fairplay back per hour of flight time. If it's steadily decreasing you're probably getting more than one crash per hour of flight time. That seems like a lot of crashing -- is that purely the cable issue? Can you Prime95 Large FFTs overnight with no crashes?

So the disconnects started happening for me with the HP Reverb G2.  It was solid for about 3 weeks then started disconnecting sometimes and not starting.  Eventually it got bad and hardly started at all.  My fairness got down to 50ish at worst.

Why'd I let that happen. 

Well it was annoying but the G2 when it works it's that much better than my other headsets.  I got several too including quest2 and Odyssey plus.  Older gen is pentile OLED. Pentile display's subpixel arrangement is terrible for VR.  The numbers for the res are not pure in that way.  You think you have 1600x 1400 pixels but you  can't compare those pixels to newer LCD RGB subpixels of the HP Reverb G2 and the Quest 2.  Not only do those have more pixels they are tightly packed in and even continuous way.  So the resolution improvement is much more than the numbers show.  They G2 also has the best lenses in a consumer headset so far.  They out did an $8000 headset in a lens test.  So I can actually run my G2 at lower oversampling and still see things and read things much more clearly than the Quest 2 which I ran at a higher resolution.

In addition the G2 is much more comfortable. It's the most comfortable headset I've used yet.  I had to switch to my Quest 2 while they were replacing my G2.

The G2 is fantastic when it works so much so that I couldn't go back and was happy with 50 fairness and disconnects to use it.  : ) It's that good.

The quest 2 is also very good and a steal at its price.  I would use it over my old Odyssey which was very good for it's gen.

But I just got my new cable this weekend for the G2 and knock on wood it's been solid!!

The G2 disconnects were definitely a bad cable.  Others I know also had this issues and got new cables.

The quest 2 disconnects are much less rare.  They only occurred a few times in several weeks of use.  I use oculus link with it as I had vertical distortion with Virtual Desktop .  With Oculus Link if the framerate drops too low it seems to disconnect.  This would sometimes happen during map loading which wasn't an issue to play but required restart and when maps load for some reason in VR fps can drop bad.  But a few maps near targets and airports had issues recently with low framerates on quest 2 and I got disconnected in battle there too.  Now on solid G2 and seems ok again knocking on wood!!

Would still highly recommend bot the Quest 2 and the G2.

Computer is rock solid in all other ways so far.

Thanks for explaining.

I'll take my lumps if I get disconnected...

• Upvote 1
Mollotin

had to download srs just for this AI bot thing. Was able to try it today. feels like a nice feature, well done! Im still learning how to use it.

one question. is there a channel only for u and command? so that other players dont need to hear the gibberish that is my english.

Alonzo
1 hour ago, Mollotin said:

had to download srs just for this AI bot thing. Was able to try it today. feels like a nice feature, well done! Im still learning how to use it.

one question. is there a channel only for u and command? so that other players dont need to hear the gibberish that is my english.

There isn't a dedicated bot channel at the moment. You can use channel 2 for most of the commands except to declare a bombing objective, so if you do that you'll probably have less players on the channel (most people start on channel 1).

56RAF_Roblex

I really like the SRS Automation and it adds a lot to the game but I have one problem with it that means I cannot use it as much as I wish.   The problem is that to get the most from the  automated messages and interaction you have to have a radio tuned to Channel-2 and that means that you have to listen to constant chatter from the other pilots.  That chatter makes it very hard to co-ordinate with the people you are flying with.

Is it practical/possible to have Channel-1 for Tower talk only, Channel-2 for interaction with command only and all mission talk elsewhere?   I know we only have two radios but we could tune to 1 & 3 (or 4 or 5 etc.) while at the field then switch to 2 & 3 (or 4 or 5 etc.) once in the air.  The way the bot works it would probably be quite easy to set it so that anyone using Channel 1 or 2 without using the proper 'Tower' or 'Command' keywords,  i.e. just talking to their friends,  gets a warning to clear the command channels & move to another channel.     This way we would be able to be part of the general server-wide conversation but still hear the Command requests to Cover bombers or defend targets etc. and if you are with a specific flight and dont want to hear the general server-wide conversation you can just tune to 4 or 5 instead. I know this is all possible right now if everyone is disciplined but they are not so they just tune in channels 1 & 2 and stay there.

The only downside is that people would need to have buttons to switch radios and to change channels within the radios.   I use Alt-UpArrow & Alt-DownArrow to switch to Radio 1 or Radio 2 and Shift-UpArrow & Shift-DownArrow for changing channels so it is only really using up two buttons.

TL:DR version - Can we use the Bot to Ask/Encourage/Force people to use a channel other than Channel 2 for their chatting?

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
Alonzo
2 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I really like the SRS Automation and it adds a lot to the game but I have one problem with it that means I cannot use it as much as I wish.   The problem is that to get the most from the  automated messages and interaction you have to have a radio tuned to Channel-2 and that means that you have to listen to constant chatter from the other pilots.  That chatter makes it very hard to co-ordinate with the people you are flying with.

At the moment, talking to Command is channel 1. This is where you'll get messages about the current tactical state of the map as well as the only place people can declare targets for bombing runs (if they want the bot to arrange cover). Channel 2 is airfield/tower. Currently you can ask for missions on channel 2 as well as channel 1.

Are you really seeing a lot of chatter on channel 2? I'd have thought it was mostly channel 1 if people are chattering.

The problem here is that at low population times, it's good to get people all on the one channel. But once people start clogging it up by calling dogfights, that's not the behaviour we want. That's "everyone in a blob shouting" kind of stuff. But should the bot really be legislating people's behaviour? Have you tried asking folks to maybe pick a channel if they want to coordinate? I've seen people do this of their own accord fairly regularly.

I'd love to get some more opinions on this, it's not clear to me the 'right' thing to do. If we get fancy we could get the bot to log the % of channel time each pilot is using and then if they're chattering too much or there's just no space on the channel, ask them to move to another channel.

I just saw the bot tell someone "Quicksand-1, bandits near V1, ten miles west." I'd be sad to lose that kind of call-out on channel 1 just because some people are being kind of spammy and don't realize they should move.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
SCG_redcloud111

@56RAF_Roblex. When the server isn’t full, you can use Radio 1 / Channel 1 to listen for anyone using SRS to coordinate with the team. You can use Radio 2 / Channel 2 to talk to tower for take off and landing. If you want to squad up, I would suggest (again, when the server isn’t full) to leave Radio 1 on Channel 1 so you can hear if anyone is trying to coordinate with friendlies. Then, since you are no longer in traffic around an AF, you and your squad can change Radio 2 to Channel 3 or higher until it is time to land, at which time switch back to Channel 2 to request landing. If the server gets full and you start hearing too much chatter on Channel 1, kindly suggest that those people leave Channel 1 and squad up on a higher channel.

The way I think of this is that your squad leader would be monitoring channel 1 to talk to Command, while squad members wouldn’t even have channel 1 active. But that is not required. For example, I usually fly with @SCG_Vieira and he usually flies number 1 and I’ll fly as his wing man. But, I like to talk to Command, mostly because it gives me a real sense of larger activity going on in the air. I am also a native speaker, so he is fine with that. What is interesting is that Command usually gives us orders and updates in sync with what we are doing anyway. It really seems to be working.

• Upvote 2
kestrel79

Declared my first emergency landing last night using SRS, that was pretty cool.

When I was on late last night and the servers were pretty empty I was practicing my SRS calls. I remembered how to declare for a bombing mission too that was pretty cool saying 5 minutes out and hearing someone vector me to the target. When you do that it also alerts fighters in the area to come and cover right?

I still have trouble guessing what grid I'm in. I usually  pick an airbase and mission that has pretty distinct landmarks so it's harder to get lost. Also nice having the radio beacon on most planes to find my way back to base. I'm really workings on getting my bearings by looking at the map and starting to memorize things. They are so big it's tough...but I'm getting there.

Alonzo
8 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

When I was on late last night and the servers were pretty empty I was practicing my SRS calls. I remembered how to declare for a bombing mission too that was pretty cool saying 5 minutes out and hearing someone vector me to the target. When you do that it also alerts fighters in the area to come and cover right?

Yep. Basically, if you declare a bombing objective and an ETA, then about 3 minutes before you're due to get there, GCI looks for any untasked fighter within range of the target. If it finds one, it will radio that fighter by callsign and request that it covers you. You can update your ETA as you approach target. You can also do "command, banshee-1 in grid 1015 request cover" for immediate cover, regardless of if you declared a target or not. The bot will do the same thing -- search for an untasked fighter nearby and send them to cover you. It also might let you know that you're on your own for now...

Fighters are "tasked" for for a while when command gives them something to patrol or tells them to defend an objective or cover friendly bombers or whatever. It's not a perfect system but I have seen it give out pretty decent instructions. It also cheats a little -- if pilots haven't reported their position but are engaged in actions where I can detect their position (usually getting into a fight), the GCI bot knows where they are and might send them to help if you request it.

56RAF_Roblex

Can I ask for clarification on the Recon missions.   Yesterday I tried one and could not see any results.  I took a recon spitfire, flew to the recon area and saw enemy ships below I circled them twice at about 10,000ft with no result so I dropped to below the clouds and circled very close two or three times but nothing was happening.  I then flew off and a few minutes later found more enemy ships and circled them three or four times at about 5,000ft but still nothing happened. 

Was I supposed to do something else than just circle?  Was I supposed to get even lower?  Are there objects that look like they should be targets but are not?   These were groups of four ships that looked ripe for attacking but were not showing on the map.