dburne

Reverb - new offering from HP

Wow looking like my decision to go with Rift S for now is better and better.

From what I have seen its not a safety feature, there have been production quality issues with the screens. I imagine they are recalling because they are not happy with the quality they put out. 

Bad news for VR overall. One comptitor is out for a while. I hope they can figure it out without too much time and reputation loss.

I assume they're fixing the Mura on screens. Somewhere in the process diagramme someone forgot to insert "calibrate displays properly duh!". Heads will roll.

P.S. HP Revert is its new nickname, so I've read 😏

• Haha 2

I got mail by the dutch online shop that HP Europe said there is no problem with the release in Europe. There were just a few problems with some units in USA.

I am waiting what to happen, maybe I will get one soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

the dutch online shop now says: pre-sales. Shipment 26-5-2019, delivery next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 8:30 PM, Alonzo said:

Eek. Something that you strap to your head and position close to your eyes having a safety flaw? That could be really bad.

Safety flaw? Where did you read that? All I could find was the fact that there is a recall.

I would imagine it's about mending one of the reported issues. So most likely a visual flaw. One of the reviewers reported a green tint that apperantly disappeared over time, then there is always the mura though not everyone has reacted too badly to that.

someone saying he/she is HP VR Quality Manager speaks out on Reddit on the Reverb issue. FWIW.

On 14. 5. 2019 at 19:15, spitfirejoe said:

"1 jaar beperkte garantie" v holandský v anglickom jazyku znamená "1 rok obmedzená záruka"

Znamená to, že záruka 1 rok namiesto 2 rokov, ktorý by bol štandard v Európe

Ďakujeme za zaslanie info meškanie !!! 

Som smutný, kto sa dozvie o také meškanie, teraz nemáme žiadnu dátum vydania a nevie, čo sa bude diať.

Len som zrušil svoju predobjednávku a dúfam, že dostane svoje peniaze späť.

Dôsledkom je, že budem používať svoj Odyssey Plus dlhšia.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm still staying at Rift. I disturbed Pimax, still lucky it was through PayPal, but it was still a problem to return the money. Good luck.

There's loads of smokebombs being thrown.

The headset's display may be such a long way above its competition, that it'll attract a lot of that in the near future. There's already 1 star reviews being released on Amazon, I've flagged several. It's a place for reviews on the product once tested.

Instead, this reminds me of the console wars 20 years ago. I was 13 at the time, and if you had a Nintendo, you'd stick with Nintendo guys and hate the Playstation. The animal kingdom is a peculiar one.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Instead, this reminds me of the console wars 20 years ago. I was 13 at the time, and if you had a Nintendo, you'd stick with Nintendo guys and hate the Playstation. The animal kingdom is a peculiar one.

Tell me about it. I won't be brand loyal here. And I'd rather buy content supported by the as many headsets as possible on more open platform, than on say microsoft store or oculus. Loyal followers isolated on proprietary systems is not the way.

• Upvote 2

Well, I noticed Bestbuy has pulled it completely from their website.  the "not in stock" button was gone last week and now the headset itself....whatever that means.

40 minutes ago, TunaEatsLion said:

Well, I noticed Bestbuy has pulled it completely from their website.  the "not in stock" button was gone last week and now the headset itself....whatever that means.

Reverb headset available on Amazon for $600. As I only use my HMD for IL2 I've never had the need for controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R768KJP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

• Like 2

Seems like a lot of people throwing their frocks over their heads for no reason ! I will still get it around the time I expected it and glad it's not a show stopper ! clarity wise for VR and flight sims it's too good to miss out on I believe  🍻

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Can someone explain something please!?

Why is it that the REVERB delivers a resolution of 1609x1576 in SteamVR when you set SS to 100%??? Why not the native resolution of 2160x2160.

Thanks!

Just pull it up to 1.2* of the native resolution. Whether that reads 20% or 100% or over 9000% won't matter much..

Do you have it now ??

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 12:52 PM, spitfirejoe said:

Can someone explain something please!?

Why is it that the REVERB delivers a resolution of 1609x1576 in SteamVR when you set SS to 100%??? Why not the native resolution of 2160x2160.

All the VR devices to date (Vive, Rift, Vivepro, WMR, Odyssey, pimax) apply an internal SS ratio to the physical display. It varies from 1.1 on the Odyssey to 3.44 on the Pimax5K. But it was always higher than 1.

Now, the reverb, according to the Tom's review (I suppose this is where you got that numbers) is giving an internal ratio of 0.54!!,  That means it does subsampling when you set SteamVR to 100%. I really don´t understand the reason for that. 

The calcs are in the "SS per device" tab of the online sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k

619023608_ReverbSSratio.thumb.jpg.173c6285e96e9f6a97e3826c9fd06492.jpg

But according to Tesed video above, the Reverb has a 2212x2164 resolution for 126% SteamVR, So this is not aligned with the Tom´s number.

Something is not clear here.

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Thanks 1

chiliwili69 thanks very much for the explanation.

Man, I can’t decide on Reverb or Index.  I think I am leaning towards index because of FOV

• Like 1

I'm closer to the Reverb myself but I'll wait for the reviews on here and DCS. The lack of IPD adjustment is giving me pause until more user reviews. The Index would be my last option if the Reverb has issues such as the tracking but we'll see. The greater fov on the Index will reduce overall resolution. If valve had gone with 2k panels like the Reverb, it would have been an instant buy.

Tracking looks fine for the reverb. WMR is perfectly adequate from what I have seen for flight sims / driving games. Full scale room is where wmr can fall down but even then the reverb looks good! 

Even then, it's still possible to get LH tracking and Index Controllers and use them with the Reverb.

The question to answer is to decide between slightly higher FOV and the sharper resolution. If you wear glasses, there will be no FOV advantage on the Index, they have stated.

What I'm worried most about is chromatic abberation on the side of the lenses and a too small sweet spot - but there is no information on these things yet.

2 hours ago, Bullets said:

Tracking looks fine for the reverb. WMR is perfectly adequate from what I have seen for flight sims / driving games. Full scale room is where wmr can fall down but even then the reverb looks good! 

I was under that impression but had seen somewhere people saying there was some slight glitching issues with quick head movements in a cockpit environment with the likes of the odyssey +.  I`m happy to be corrected in relation to that as I have no experience with WMR, just with my rift which is fairly flawless.  

On 5/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Bullets said:

Yup,

This video seems to back up the the idea that folks are overblowing how "horrible" the Reverb WMR tracking is.  Looks fine to me.

• Like 1

So when do we get it ...then?

Soon(TM).

The Me-262 way sooner.

I wonder though if I should get a Pimax5k+. Playing Rocket Man in that one might create a much different immersion. 

I so want to test that thing in IL-2.

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Soon(TM).

The Me-262 way sooner.

I wonder though if I should get a Pimax5k+. Playing Rocket Man in that one might create a much different immersion. 

I so want to test that thing in IL-2.

In the same boat. Only waiting for cosmos specs to materialize before commiting.

Coco mentioned the perceived resolution was about the same as his previous rift. Rather disappointing on that front. But ever since lefunestes mod I've wished for fov over resolution. (imagine zooming but still retaining a wider fov). I'd probably switch priorities if i was a singleplayer type of guy.

Considering your well above the average joe that needs a no hassle plug&play unit, I'm sure the pimax setup/face cushion mod won't be an issue for you. Be sure to share your impressions if you go there. 

• Upvote 1

While waiting for Reverb I’ve received RiftS ( very easy install,very ,fine grid SDE, about the same FoV,) and this week I’ll receive & test Pimax 5K to try to test.I’m esp interested in clarity & hopeful disappearance of the dreaded SDE.I had expected to be able to see how the Reverb handled it, but now I’ll have to wait for its release. I’ll keep the one that handles this best,but I will be interested to see if Pimax’s increased FoV makes a real difference in game play.Its got to help in”Flying Circus” where being able to view your “six” is vital ( not really possible with Rift & other current VR devices) but not too sure with WW2 aircraft with armored headrests.

3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

While waiting for Reverb I’ve received RiftS ( very easy install,very ,fine grid SDE, about the same FoV,) and this week I’ll receive & test Pimax 5K to try to test.I’m esp interested in clarity & hopeful disappearance of the dreaded SDE.I had expected to be able to see how the Reverb handled it, but now I’ll have to wait for its release. I’ll keep the one that handles this best,but I will be interested to see if Pimax’s increased FoV makes a real difference in game play.Its got to help in”Flying Circus” where being able to view your “six” is vital ( not really possible with Rift & other current VR devices) but not too sure with WW2 aircraft with armored headrests.

Chili did a quite substantial job with his review of the pimax 5k so all info as to what one can expect is there.
I am however Looking forward to your impression regarding image clarity directly compared to rift S Blitzen.

6 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I will be interested to see if Pimax’s increased FoV makes a real difference in game play.Its got to help in”Flying Circus” where being able to view your “six” is vital ( not really possible with Rift & other current VR devices) but not too sure with WW2 aircraft with armored headrests.

Lefuneste's excellent 3D Migoto mod now allows an extra 15 degrees of head rotation when you push a hotkey. This has helped me enormously in getting enough "head crank" to properly check six in the Rift. Try it out, might work for you in the meantime before you get an extra wide FOV headset.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Alonzo_LW said:

Lefuneste's excellent 3D Migoto mod now allows an extra 15 degrees of head rotation when you push a hotkey. This has helped me enormously in getting enough "head crank" to properly check six in the Rift. Try it out, might work for you in the meantime before you get an extra wide FOV headset.

I have this mod activated by JSGME, but have absolutely no clue on how to activate its various features & select keystrokes for same.Yes I've printed out the readme but I'm afraid of screwing up a working version by actually doing anything. Can you walk me through this option you describe & how to get it going & perhaps the added Zoom as well? maybe after I've taken baby steps I can figure out the other options as well...thanks!

21 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I have this mod activated by JSGME, but have absolutely no clue on how to activate its various features & select keystrokes for same.Yes I've printed out the readme but I'm afraid of screwing up a working version by actually doing anything. Can you walk me through this option you describe & how to get it going & perhaps the added Zoom as well? maybe after I've taken baby steps I can figure out the other options as well...thanks!

I forget the exact keystrokes but they are in Lefuneste's mod description. I leave all the keystrokes at default, then use AutoHotKey to bind the keystrokes (things like home, page up, page down for the various zooms and head rotation) to joystick buttons. Some people use TARGET if they have Thrustmaster gear, and I've used the X52 macro software in the past too. 

24 minutes ago, kissklas said:

New Reddit Reverb AMA with some pretty good impressions, and a video review is coming later.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/bug03c/i_have_the_hp_reverb_pro_ask_me_anything/

Oh dear:

Performance - I have a 8086K 5.0Ghz, 32GB DDR4, NVMe and 2080Ti - and I run with the exact same settings I used for my Rift CV1 (and all others) with 1.5x super sampling and get the same great frame rates. I've also been running it at 60Hz instead of 90Hz (you can set this in WMR Portal) and I personally see no difference (but I'm not super sensitive to refresh rate)

Yet another reviewer who clearly has no idea how to actually measure framerate or the ramifications of lots of pixels to push around. In my opinion he/she completely invalidated themselves by using a 60hz refresh rate and saying they see no difference, and by using ~4x the pixels compared to Rift CV1, keeping 1.5x supersample, and saying "great frame rates".

Am I the only person who's asking for actual numbers rather than subjective meanderings? *sigh*

34 minutes ago, Alonzo_LW said:

Am I the only person who's asking for actual numbers rather than subjective meanderings?

You could send him an DM on reddit and ask I guess. I think MRTV said something about framerate at 90hz with a 1080ti. Unsure which game he played though...

41 minutes ago, Alonzo_LW said:

invalidated themselves by using a 60hz refresh rate and saying they see no difference

I actually think 60 Hz is a good setting. I would take 60 stable frames on a native 60Hz display (WMR headsets apparently have variable refresh rates at 60 or 90 Hz) over 45 frames which re-project to 90 any day of the week. There is no way even a 2080TI can push 90 frames on a Reverb with its 9.3 million pixels + overhead anyway (In games like DCS or IL2). 

Only thing I'd do differently is probably reduce the SS.