dburne

Reverb - new offering from HP

Yeah! It is for April this year! and 599$ for consumer. And with controllers! That´s a very good thing for flight simulators. It will bring resolution to a full new level. Much better than Pimaxes.

The HP Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye, making  9.3 million pixels for 114º FOV

The Pimax 5K is 2560x1440 per eye, making 7.3 million pixels for 180 FOV.

So, this new HP device will make a big step in actual angular resolution. I have to try that!

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Me too, I am thrilled. I will get it - WMR was the best platform so far in regards to ease of assembly. Now I'll need to get a 2080ti along with it, to get that fillrate filled.

I'm also interested if Oculus Rift S can match that resolution. If so, they'll have better controllers and better fit (and adapted the same WMR-like setup). GDC remains interesting!

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

12 minutes ago, -99th-moosya said:

WMR? .. pass...

Yeah that is my concern also, but still quite tempted.

48 minutes ago, -99th-moosya said:

WMR? .. pass...

Why?

You don´t like inside-out tracking? 

The form factor is very much like the Rift (not like all other WMR headsets), so look like a good ergonomy.

5 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Why?

You don´t like inside-out tracking? 

The form factor is very much like the Rift (not like all other WMR headsets), so look like a good ergonomy.

yup, inside-out tracking and WMR eco-system.

First one is somewhat fixable with proper lighting.

Second one is... well.. it's MS with their "platform as a service" offer. My trust barely extends to their game kernel. Everything above is a hit today, a miss tomorrow.

Looks nice. Maybe in a few years I’ll have a PC that can run it 😛.

BTW, when people talk about WMR tracking problems is it just with the controllers?

36 minutes ago, lightbulbjim said:

Looks nice. Maybe in a few years I’ll have a PC that can run it 😛.

BTW, when people talk about WMR tracking problems is it just with the controllers?

Well I think with the Rift and Vive, tracking is quite good and not really sensitive to the lighting.

I have great tracking with my Rift whether the room is bright, or dark.

I think inside-out tracking of WMR can be more sensitive to room lighting.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Nobodies going to be able to run this thing, you guys are crazy!🤪

Yeah that would be a question, running games like we do here. I am sure it would be great for some made for VR games, but  flight sims present a whole new challenge.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/19/hp-built-a-better-version-of-the-oculus-rift/amp/

Liking what I am reading.

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah that would be a question, running games like we do here. I am sure it would be great for some made for VR games, but  flight sims present a whole new challenge.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/19/hp-built-a-better-version-of-the-oculus-rift/amp/

Liking what I am reading.

This headset looks amazing though, I said the other day if I could take the odyssey screens and put them in a rift that'd be perfect, here it is. With even better resolution, but LCD's are a tad disappointing, and then yeah you have the whole can we run it thing. Like you said this will run fine on a lot of lighter games, but with the direction il2 is heading, bigger and better poly counts, higher and higher res textures, more detailed maps, scares me just thinking of the hardware you'd need to power this thing just at its default resolution. The rift is so much more comfortable then my odyssey its not even close.

Edited by JonRedcorn

You can let the HP headset's native resolution leave the compositor. It sits at 9.1M pixels.

It takes the same performance as running...

...an Oculus Rift on SteamVR SS of 2.2.

...an Odyssey(+) at SteamVR SS of 1.9.

...a VivePro at SteamVR SS of 1.1.

So yeah, we can run it just fine. You as well, your 1080ti should handle it.

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You can let the HP headset's native resolution leave the compositor. It sits at 9.1M pixels.

It takes the same performance as running...

...an Oculus Rift on SteamVR SS of 2.2.

...an Odyssey(+) at SteamVR SS of 1.9.

...a VivePro at SteamVR SS of 1.1.

So yeah, we can run it just fine. You as well, your 1080ti should handle it.

My computer is dying at 1.9 ss on my odyssey, I am currently running balanced preset, 130% and no AA, it looks like ass but it runs ok. For a while I was running on high with even high shadows in the rift, at like 150%, those days are long gone!

Posted (edited)

Man this is tempting. I feel like my rig would be able to handle it at decent graphics but who knows.

I run with pretty high gfx with my Rift at 1.6 SS in OTT and performance is awesome.

Going to wait and see if Oculus does announce anything later today.

I really love some other VR games using the Touch Controllers, if only IL-2 then would be a different story.

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, JonRedcorn said:

My computer is dying at 1.9 ss on my odyssey, I am currently running balanced preset, 130% and no AA, it looks like ass but it runs ok. For a while I was running on high with even high shadows in the rift, at like 150%, those days are long gone!

Want RTX2080ti 😄

24 minutes ago, dburne said:

Man this is tempting. I feel like my rig would be able to handle it at decent graphics but who knows.

I run with pretty high gfx with my Rift at 1.6 SS in OTT and performance is awesome.

Going to wait and see if Oculus does announce anything later today.

I really love some other VR games using the Touch Controllers, if only IL-2 then would be a different story.

OTT 1.6 = 9.xM pixels. You're set for the Reverb then 👍

2 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

:good:

Oh great yet more temptation lol.

Will see if anything announced today from Oculus on PC-VR. 

Posted (edited)

Rift S officially announced.

I messed up and put in Hardware forum.

Now I will have a big decision to make...

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)

lmao no way they went with the halo. Honestly thats a pretty disappointing headset right there. The screens are lack luster. No headphones, weird move by oculus here.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Yeah can't really say I am overly thrilled and very excited over what I am seeing being offered here from Oculus.

Will have to give some careful thought. 

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Yeah can't really say I am overly thrilled and very excited over what I am seeing being offered here from Oculus.

Will have to give some careful thought. 

With your setup I'd get that new HP headset. It's basically what the rift s should of been.

1 minute ago, JonRedcorn said:

With your setup I'd get that new HP headset. It's basically what the rift s should of been.

Yeah that is very tempting.

19 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Do it!

I do have several Oculus Touch supported games I still enjoy.

Reckon I would still be able to use the Rift on occasion with the HP set up on system?

15 minutes ago, dburne said:

I do have several Oculus Touch supported games I still enjoy.

Reckon I would still be able to use the Rift on occasion with the HP set up on system?

I think you would be just fine, the windows VR software is really minimal. It's really already on your system most likely.

17 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

I think you would be just fine, the windows VR software is really minimal. It's really already on your system most likely.

OK thanks will give this all careful consideration.

I am disappointed with the Rift S specs, but not surprised.

Facebook is targeting mass adoption at this stage, not PC gaming enthusiasts with super powerful rigs.

I can't help wondering who the Rift S is aimed at though. If you are casual gamer looking to get into VR then the Quest sounds like a much more attractive prospect. 

I will be keeping a close eye on the HP Reverb as, apart from an increased FOV, it has all the things I wanted for my next VR upgrade. 

5 hours ago, dburne said:

Man this is tempting.

But your rig simply is awesome. :)

1 hour ago, Solmyr said:

But your rig simply is awesome. :)

Thanks I am quite pleased with it. I will be certainly keeping an eye out for when the Reverb does become available to order.

7 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Odyssey + lower the SS to 150 and test it.

Looks the same as 190 or even better for some reason, and should run much better.

Posted (edited)

After testing my 5K+ for a few weeks, I'm happy to go back to my Vive Pro. The clarity of my Pro craps on my Pimax. Now, it looks like the Reverb has fixed IPD and I'm betting this won't be any good for me either due to my low IPD. Reverb IPD is 63mm +/-8mm via software. It also has LCD screens, so we're talking low contrast and muted colours. 🙁

Edited by scrapmetal

18 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

well, 1.6 in OTT is (1.6x1.6=2.56) like 256% SteamVR_SS. This is 11 million pixels!  so for sure your system will be able to handle the HP Reverb. So yes, there is a PC on Earth able to run that. The Don PC!

So if there wont be anything better from HTC (Cosmos) then i will most likely get the reverb. The reviews so far are impressing.

oooooooo I was looking at getting a pimax 5k+ however the higher pixel count is enticing! The decrease in FOV though is a bit of a downside.. 

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Odyssey + lower the SS to 150 and test it.

Looks the same as 190 or even better for some reason, and should run much better.

Yeah there's just nothing to be done the game has to be on balanced settings to get a smooth framerate, that still dips. Performance is just getting worse.

Posted (edited)

I have a Rift and an RTX 2080. What's the best way to check if I'll be able to run this HP headset at appropriate resolution? Use OTT 1.5 (=Steam 225%) ?

I'm definitely going to upgrade from my Rift, the question is Rift S (probably the ergonomics winner, TBD on the screen/blacks/SDE) or something like this HP Reverb, Vive Cosmos, or Pimax? I'm hearing "not Pimax unless wide FOV is important to you" ?

Edit: Also, as a Rifter, I've never used WMR. How's the reprojection stuff? As good as ATW and ASW on the Rift?

Edited by Alonzo

Wenn forgot, the HP only needs to draw a frame 80times per second, compared to the others at 90. So in order to achieving vsync , it seems the requirements are actually lower than we thought

33 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Wenn forgot, the HP only needs to draw a frame 80times per second, compared to the others at 90. So in order to achieving vsync , it seems the requirements are actually lower than we thought

Actually Reverb has 90 HZ refresh rate, it is the Rift S that has 80 HZ.

Posted (edited)

Oh okay! I had read somewhere it was 80Hz, then rechecked on your comment, and you are indeed right. Yeah true that keeps the requirements up there. 

I wonder if the 1080ti / 2080 will be enough.

What's also a point to consider (to me) is wether and when it'll get sold in Germany. And if not, will it be CE approved so that it may pass customs.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Pretty good initial thoughts review from MRTV.

I love his comment "This is what the Rift S should have been".