dburne

Reverb - new offering from HP

No, I can not test it with another PC, because I have only 1 and I have nobody nearby with a high spec PC.

Talking about 3D presentation and 3D image....that looks as good as in Rift, Vive Pro and Odyssey. Totally fine and no issues with that.

54 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

No, I can not test it with another PC, because I have only 1 and I have nobody nearby with a high spec PC.

Try to return this unit, maybe they will change to the new one immediately?

2 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Try to return this unit, maybe they will change to the new one immediately?

People are having issues returning their units because it hasn’t officially been launched yet. Customer support staff are not aware of its release and no one has been trained to give advice haha...  it’s a real sh** show.  

I will still be buying one at first availability and I’m sure they have their reasons for whatever they are doing.. just wish we could have some communication from them.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 11:49 PM, spitfirejoe said:

Hello friends, actually I have another more serious problem right now. My PC did a windows 10 update today (1903 ) and after that my windows mixed reality portal ( which runs the Reverb ) does have serious problems, it always crashes all the time, On OFF and so on and that´s why the Reverb is unusable right now. I watched for drivers, cannot find any.

Does the others with a WMR Headset have the same problems now? Any idea what I could do for trouble shooting?

Thanks in advance!

1903 update is notorious in WMR VR circles, just google "1903 WMR VR problems" :(

Just some examples:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=236149&page=131

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/buiymg/win10_1903_odyssey_error_check_your_display_cable/

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/bs7cp4/odyssey_build_1903_bug/

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3946088&postcount=1521

And the worst one - dramatic drop in VR sharpness for all high res WMR headsets, with no fix after months of waiting:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1651045226218511368?l=english&ctp=1

Moreover, for some people even rolling back from the 1903 still gives the same problems...

My windows update settings are set to maximum deferral, and no issues with the Reverb on 1809. I'd say your reverb is fine, but you need to *properly* (whatever it means here - not sure myself) roll back away from 1903. It sucks, I know :(

PS Oh yeah, I see 0 difference in 3d image stereo presentation between CV1 and Reverb. Seems like some forced meme floating around the internet 😄

Edited by 89-

Posted (edited)

I recieved my HP reverb on Monday of this week I've got to play around with it in il2 for a few sessions this week. Coming from the oculus rift it is amazing the clarity is awesome. It is nearly monitor quality. The 3d image seems equal to that of the rift. When it works it is top notch but after playing for about 20 min the left eye screen flickers and some times the right it makes me so nauseous. The other negative is the fov if coming straight from the rift it's the same, but I dabbled with the pimax 5k and the clarity from the rift to that is a huge jump up and the fov is 2nd to none. So after trying the 5k then going to the reverb it felt so restrictive but I'm sure over time you could get used to it. In the end I'm sending the reverb back, but I am excited for the future of vr

Edited by [TWB]kmac31
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I still fiddle around, went back from Windows 1903 to 1809. Did also do a BIOS update of my ASUS z370 Pro Gaming motherboard. Still get the disconnections and all kind of error messages 1-4 and so on. Tomorrow I will try my Reverb at a friends PC to see if I have a broken HMD/Cable or if my PC is totally crashed now.

Will report tomorrow then.

UPDATE:

I came back from my friends house using the Reverb with his PC, it did not work aswell, same problems with all time disconnections and error message #1-4 in mixed reality portal. Both, me and my friend are sure that the trouble maker is the plug connection behind the HMD with the long and heavy cable.

Reading THIS Reddit comment.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/bz0itj/hp_reverb_issues/

about the misdesign of this particular cable plug says everything. I agree 100% with the guy who wrote that and can share the exact same experience now, just with the difference that my device worked perfect for 4 days and after that, the cable connection inside the plug seems to be damaged.

I hope HP will fire the guy who MISdesigned such a stupid plug and that they will change the design now. Because WHEN the Reverb works, it is really really a great VR experience, which I am missing already 😥

The communication with the dutch online shop where I bought is very good. I will send mine back and hope for a quick fix by HP.

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

I came back from my friends house using the Reverb with his PC, it did not work aswell, same problems with all time disconnections and error message #1-4 in mixed reality portal. Both, me and my friend are sure that the trouble maker is the plug connection behind the HMD with the long and heavy cable.

Sorry to hear that it was the hardware fault after all. No disconecting issues with mine so far, even though I 've spent a few hours in "active" raoom scale games. Still, considering doing this simple mod now to relieve the cable strain from the plug:

2LAxnQD.jpg

• Upvote 1

I did the cable tie trick and it works very well, no disconnects even on my completely knackered connector. That should give you more play time while you wait for it to be sent back or picked up.

I can not do any cable tie tricks now, I sent it back already this afternoon.

I know a guy from the Sim Racing community with a Reverb who printed a modification for the connection in 3D. If I get back another HMD, I will try this mod.

13 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

I can not do any cable tie tricks now, I sent it back already this afternoon.

I know a guy from the Sim Racing community with a Reverb who printed a modification for the connection in 3D. If I get back another HMD, I will try this mod.

Can You give some link or pictures this printed mod?

Can You give some link or pictures this printed mod?

Sorry, I don't have it or had it, I just heard from a guy of the Sim Racing community that some use it. It is a 3D print which tights and secures the connectors.

I heard that the 3D print file is posted in the "Project Cars Forum"....unfortunately I am not in this forum. Maybe you can check there.

have any of you experienced the screen flickering in one or both eyes? i dont want to send it back but its really nauseating

7 minutes ago, [TWB]kmac31 said:

have any of you experienced the screen flickering in one or both eyes? i dont want to send it back but its really nauseating

screen flickering? YES.....I had that too.....BUT only after my trouble with the cable started. For the first 4 days my Reverb worked flawlessly. No flickering, no crashes, no black screens.

It was this week tuesday late afternoon, then my cable trouble began and all the problems came up. I also had a lot of black screens and also sometimes the screen flickering.

Even I had a very ugly picture like an old CRT TV from the 80ies when there is no signal, that looked horrible and very scary.

I can imagine that your screen flickering is a sign that your cable connections starts to cause trouble.

Posted (edited)

The guy from MRTV, who was really hyping the headset, has the cable issue as well now. See the screenshot below.

I'll check the Reverb out in a few months. As mentioned, I have cancelled my order on it. I'm not buying a (currently) broken design, and I'm bummed about the super narrow FOV that's smaller than even Gen1 headsets. At the same time, I feel sorry for SpitfireJoe and those who were looking forward to it. I hope you get a headset soon you can properly use, and enjoy IL-2 with, or at least a full refund.

Maybe they'll do revisions of their Hardware, like Pimax did last year, with their redone P2 versions of Pimax5k+ with better cables and sturdy plastic. They got excellent support now (answer within a day, use TeamViewer, RMAs possible). They even sell with a full year of Warranty, no questions asked. HP currently looks like at the point Pimax was last year. Let's hope they can improve. In the meantime, brace for more bad reputation of this headset to come.

holdit.png

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Fenris_Wolf for the post.

I will try to contact HP by myself to provide feedback and ask for a revision. 

HONESTLY, I pledge for the Reverb and I will stay with it due to it´s great performance and image quality, but we need a revision of the cable.

I also have occasional flickering, usually (if at all) when I turn it on for the first time in a while, I thought its powerful screens were warming up or something 😄 Flickering stops after 3-5 seconds and doesn't tend to come on afterwards.

ya when it was not flickering it was an awesome experience. i think i stay with the Pimax 5k until they fix their problems or something new and improved comes along 

5 minutes ago, 89- said:

I also have occasional flickering, usually (if at all) when I turn it on for the first time in a while, I thought its powerful screens were warming up or something 😄 Flickering stops after 3-5 seconds and doesn't tend to come on afterwards.

Preheat in the microwave before use.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

We've got 2 year warrnaty in the EU, so I'm sticking with my Reverb as flickering is minor gripe and does not happen often. Nothing to replace it - RiftS is good, but not Reverb good. Pimax they say is equal to RiftS in the sweet spot and wide FOV is secondary to clarity and definition for me.

Edited by 89-
  • Upvote 2

I have written an email with feedback directly to HP now, reported my cable damage and requested a complete cable revision for the Reverb.

I hope they will listen and change it. Fingers crossed.

Btw. see this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3950515&postcount=1656

Do You have Display Port 1.3?

I know, before was ok....

Strange.

No, there is NO problem with my Display Port or my PC hardware or software. It worked from day 1 without any trouble for 4 days. My PC specs are higher than those you have linked in the post. I tried both Display ports of my GPU and yesterday at my friends high end PC aswell.

Let´s just wait and see, HP must react now and I am sure they will. Because they will get a lot of RMA. Maybe some more users will get a Reverb next week or so and then I hope for more reviews and feedback from others. Here in this forum we are not many Reverb users.

Posted (edited)

SweViver has received his unit, and has visual artifacts. He doesn't see Mura on his, but: Horizontal lines going across the screen, chromatic abberation even when slightly looking around away from the center sharp spot, very tiny sweetspot, and strong red smear on white items, as well as seeing top and bottom of the screens behind the lenses, plus some other stuff. Comfort is nice though, and the center spot is very very sharp.

He's putting his Review together now, neutrally and with evidence by capturing. I've seen part of the evidence already... he's in a tough spot now, though. To be honest, there'll be loads of people who will just say "Aw, the guy is working with Pimax now, so of course of course". His channel however is excluded from this. Hopefully he's just another guy with a faulty unit, and this won't be the norm for the Reverb.

The more competition there is, the better for prices - the better for us consumers! It would be best if HP got their act together and deliver... 😅

The Guy is working with pimax now, so,,, 😛 

Quite honestly I’m surprised to hear of all these teething problems people are having. With both rift S and reverb. Pimax and their 5k range in comparison seem to have had few. Not to mention the cv1, flawless. Never had to roll back a windows update and never ever had a screen flicker, thats after the cats have had their fun with the cable.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Ahah he'll hear that alot. It's terrible though, because he's the only VR-YouTuber who is always putting concrete evidence to what he says.

But man - CV1? Really? I was in during the early days man, later got Touch. its verpestet tracking, usb issues with the 2, later 3 sensors (people had to buy Inateck USB extension cards to power sensor properly on pre-Z270 motherboards with older controllers). Aah it was terrible in the beginning 😂

Initial setup was the easiest on Lighthouse systems for me (Vive & Pimax). Just install PiTool/SteamVR, restart PC once, go. Bam, works. 😏

btw. here is example of this issue:

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the good video link. 

that is exactly the same what happened to my Reverb.

Does anyone know how long HP will take for the Revision? A next version with better cable connectors cannot be made in a few days. I expect a longer wait now, which is a real bummer after I have seen the great picture.

Yesterday I was using my Odyssey plus with IL-2 again and it looks like shit, looks like eye cancer. I can not read small text again and even the gauges in the cockpit don't look good anymore. 

I cannot wait to get back the revised Reverb, so because it´s summer time, I guess I take a break from gaming ( cannot play on a screen anymore since I am addicted to VR ).

On 6/16/2019 at 12:16 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

But man - CV1? Really? I was in during the early days man, later got Touch. its verpestet tracking, usb issues with the 2, later 3 sensors (people had to buy Inateck USB extension cards to power sensor properly on pre-Z270 motherboards with older controllers). Aah it was terrible in the beginning 😂

Initial setup was the easiest on Lighthouse systems for me (Vive & Pimax). Just install PiTool/SteamVR, restart PC once, go. Bam, works. 😏

Really, never had an issue with usb ports, sensors or whatever (only use two). Just a rock solid experience from day 1. Bought it about a week after il2 first got it's VR-support. Good to hear lIghthouse is so easy though!

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2019 at 11:42 PM, 89- said:

We've got 2 year warrnaty in the EU, so I'm sticking with my Reverb as flickering is minor gripe and does not happen often. Nothing to replace it - RiftS is good, but not Reverb good. Pimax they say is equal to RiftS in the sweet spot and wide FOV is secondary to clarity and definition for me.

FYI the last assumption is false, Pimax5K+ has a giant eye-box in comparison to Rift S, what some call sweetspot. It means you can look around inside.

Like me before trying it, you don't really know what you're talking about. The big field of view isn't just much much wider, it's much taller as well. The sharp picture is much bigger than any other headset. Bigger than the Gen1 headsets, which are bigger than the Reverb already.

Anyway you turn it, I was as sceptic as you before. What would that be good for? Now I do understand the guys who praise the FOV so much. It's the grand field of clarity by the eye-box, it's the seemingly endless field of vision for your eyes, like in reality. My eyebrows shield me from the sun inside, no scuba mask. I barrell roll with someone, my head stays raised only slightly and my eyes move, seeing the enemy, and the instruments. If I turn my head, I don't need to point it at the place I want it sharp, which isn't just good for your six (avoiding a giraffe's neck) but very good in general. The clarity is great, much greater than any Gen1 device incl the Odyssey, Valve has understood this and brings the same, with a slightly increased FOV over Gen1. The Pimax5K+ is the first and only (yet incomplete) VR2.0 device out there right now. Which will be accompanied by VR2.0 controllers soon, their own or the Index'. VR2.0 can't be in a diver's mask. This isn't about fanboyism or anything - if HP would release a Reverb 2.0 with similar FOV and similar lenses, similar clarity (not just in the center), they'd be the king of kings in the tech race. 

How they botched their launch is still foreign to me. No design quality control during the engineering process? They are going to leave so many folks gruntled and annoyed (which Pimax did as well last year, btw, they revised their hmd and went through more release dates than StarCraft).

Keep racing. That's the way to better tech.

Edit for StarCraft
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is an update from my Reverb order from the Netherlands derekenwinkel.nl shop, glad to see they are correcting the cable problem :

Dear customer,

You have ordered an HP Reverb VR headset from us recently. Unfortunately, the lead time of this product was delayed from HP due to the fact there were units in the market with a not properly working cable. As we, and HP, only want to deliver 100% perfect products, all the stocks in the China warehouse have been checked and faulty cables have been replaced. Yesterday, the shipments to Europe were continued again and our orders will be delivered to us as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this means for you that the delivery of the Reverb has been slightly delayed. I expect to receive the stocks around 2nd week of July. As soon as we have a fixed lead time, we will inform you of course.

My apologies for this delay, I hope you can understand the decision made to ensure a 100% perfect product for you!

Have a great weekend.

Met vriendelijke groet,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, but it is not only a problem of some faulty cables.....it is the problem of a complete faulty design in cable and it´s nasty connection plug.

I did not see any official comment by HP about it and if they will do a complete revision of the cable connections. I have only seen some comments online about it as rumors.

I am not happy what HP is doing. My email to HP, providing feedback about the bad cable never got answered.

3 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

Yes, but it is not only a problem of some faulty cables.....it is the problem of a complete faulty design in cable and it´s nasty connection plug.

I did not see any official comment by HP about it and if they will do a complete revision of the cable connections. I have only seen some comments online about it as rumors.

I am not happy what HP is doing. My email to HP, providing feedback about the bad cable never got answered.

Yeah almost sounds like they need a re-design of the cable and connections.

• Upvote 1

Better put the money aside and wait for end of summer. Maybe Pimax will surprise us with the 8KX in autumn, who knows! 🤯

Cosmos comes as well, even though I doubt they'll go higher than 110° and 1440*1600p lcd. If they come with this, it will be a no-brainer to say "nay".

Well ...got it up and running and it definitely looks great..... amazing res compared to the other headsets I've had .....Started getting a flickering issue after about 2 hrs ..left eye ...I did the cable mod from the git go and still got the flickering after a few hours. 

Last Wednesday night after about 2 hrs play when the headset heated up I got flickering ....
Thursday morning fired it up and within 2 hrs flickering started again .....then Friday night I put a small fan on a shelf above my monitor blowing down towards my face as I played and I experienced no flickering after 2 hours .

I installed a usb 3.0 PCI card that plugs into my power supply for my MB just to see if it would help. Plugged into the new PCI powered USB card and started flying with the fan off just to see if the new card solved the flickering issue and within an hour and a half the flickering started ,this time the right eye. Reached up and turned on the fan and in about 6 or 7 minutes the flickering went away and stayed away for the rest of my flight time...bout' an hour and a half more....I think my on board 3.0 ports are fine as I flew last night for a few hours with the fan on plugged into them and no flickering.

I believe this particular headset has an over heating issue as  another guy who got his at the same time from the same place has no issue..

I'm definitely going to exchange it for another one as many times as it takes to get a good one as I can not go back in Res now that I've had it......BoX looks great.... the towns look amazing as do the trees

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Hellcat,

One forum had a guy who HP recommended that he try a different  (417.xx ??)Nvidia driver WRT flickering. However, the fan sure seems like the best clue. 

Please keep posting on reddit, DCS VR, and here as you keep testing. Many of us are being cautious but really hope the Reverb gets straightened out. It sure seems like flight-sim nirvana. Can you give us an example in DCS or IL-2 where your head is in the normal position (slightly back from the forward edge of the seat when you look down ) and an instrument maybe in the 109  ( or A-10 ...) or whatever that you can read that we probably can't. I would like to see how much lean-in would be required in my Odyssey+ at 210%SS.

Thanks and good luck!

Dave

Posted (edited)

The flickering issue is confirmed by many other Reverb users to be an overheat problem. I guess the only help right now is using it with a fan, which is a second faulty design by HP, next to the cable issue.

I hope for you that the cable mod will keep you away from the HMD death.

I am now for 2 weeks already without the Reverb and there is no sign when I will get a replacement.

Edited by spitfirejoe

Posted (edited)

In my case flickering mostly happens in the beginning of gaming sessions, so definitely not overheating related. Other than this occasional flickering, the HMD works perfectly well.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, 89- said:

Edited by 89-