Bies

Using cockpit gauges vs. technochat - Adding an option to turn off the “technochat” in realism menu by server administrator

In the time when my hand was broken and I was controlling throttle with my foot,  having no technochat for throttle % would bar me from flying on that server. At all times, having to scramble with my squadronmates in unfamiliar plane (say, BF110 with unorthodox radiators, or anything with manual two-gear supercharger) means I have to go through controls menu (messing with force feedback and leaving plane unsupervised) to find key bindings for them. Finally, if my spiking Saitek quadrant acts up again and goes to 95% rather than to 100%, I have no way to know I need to adjust dead zones until I fly elsewhere.

I'm all for removing helpers that let people push engine to limits without looking at gauges, but depriving me of ability to test and diagnose my controls on the fly is not needed for that.

No you don't...you just want to water it down to suit your personal taste.

So, you know what I am better than me, now? Come on. This will degrade very quickly if we go down that way.

Edited by LsV_Trupobaw

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

@Pict this is a forum thread not a political party rally: anyone can comment to express the pros and cons of the suggestion as they see it. The OP asked for polite substantive discussion, which is what he has got. 

Yes, your right.

Is there a poll? I did not see one: if there was I would vote for the server to have the option just as the OP asks.

Yes there was, it's linked in the OP and my 1st reply. It was me who ran it, but I opted to run it for just over a month so it has been closed for a couple of months now.

BTW I really cannot see how having a compass HUD can possibly help someone fly any plane to it's limits and shoot down multiple enemy in one flight!

Any HUD gives the pilot a better situational awareness when compared with one who has to look into the cockpit for the information. Situational awareness being a very high priority for any fighter pilot, must be balanced with flying & navigating the aeroplane, which is an equally high priority.

The pilot with the HUD can do both at the same time, and is automatically at an advantage over the pilot without the HUD, who must make continual compromises to attempt to achieve both priorities.

Have look at some of the YouTube videos I mentioned, they are easy to find as there are many of them, and take note of how much time the pilot spends looking at the cockpit gauges, it's very little time. If you can't understand it beyond that, I cannot help.

Edited by Pict
  • Upvote 5

Other simulators (except IL2 GB) do not have this unrealistic feature in realistic settings servers and people are happy, nobody complains

BTW. Trupobaw, what i can see in this topic is

- everybody wants YOU to have option to choose whatever you like, with chat and without

- when you are fighting to force all others to play with chat like you prefer and not to have any choice. It's sad.

You should respect some people prefer more light arcade options like you, some prefer more realistic immersive settings. If WWII pilot has been hit he didn't have modern computer to provide him real time all systems diagnostic🙂 

In other sims real settings there is nothing like that also ...

BTW2: You didn't play TAW anyway, you did have left after 2 flights so for you it would be no difference at all. You wouldn't even feel this option exists.

Be happy and let the others be happy.

Edited by MicEzo
  • Upvote 6

Although well intended, I don't think this thread can do much help.

I say "well intended", because, from the side of the user, there cannot be any argument against adding more granular settings serverside, as the only downside is that the respective admin hast to toggle a function more or two. So it is not really an issue wheter users think ists "good" or not. It is up to the server admin about how many people he will have on his server. Let them find out.

How things look from the side of the programmers regarding the effort relative to the "number of clients affected" remains a different matter althogether. Things are as they are, one probably has to accept that this is currently a NJET unless there will be work done on the program module in question.

Now the main problem with the discussion is that we have some people here that are mainly preaching to the choir about that you must take the others functionality away, while giving many examples why technochat is not needed anyway (why not just press h?), then again implicitly saying that they cannot enjoy the game if the other guy has technochat, and then suddenly the superfluous function mutates into a serious theat to one's gameplay.

So we have found out in the OP that technichat is superfluous (and thus unneeded) in points 1. (in part), 3., 6., 7. (sort of), 14., 15., 16., 17., 18., 19., 20 and 21. That is the impression.

We understand now technochat is meaningless. Ok.

The points about you being on the losing end because the other guy is using technochat and yourself (definitely a good player) are few, as seen in points 2. and 10.

It is superfluous, but still it kills you, should you press 'h' and the other doesn't. So far, I have thought such about TS, when the othe gang has it and you don't, especially on planes that were known for lacking 2 way radios. It is also of note, that these claims are not really substanciated at all, or if so, then rather supplemented with oppinion. It's obviously just something that "everyone knows" (was news to me).

In this sense, it is remarkable that we have a discussion that should reather be titled "Why I feel better taking away one of your settings."

In the light of points 8.(!!) (He said "Jehova!")., 9., 11., 13., 14. and 22. we learn that technochat is not only morally wrong, but it is also agreed upon by (lacking another term for it) those who matter.

What makes the heat in this discussion so puzzling to me is the fact that old IL2 had a large console that was harder to remove than technochat with the 'h' command. CloD had the charm of a flight sim embedded in vi with its massive default overlay console.

If it is really about making the devs implementing that function, one should rather prove a significant impact on technochat being active or not. Given all the examples listed, why technochat is gratuitous really damages the argument why it would ruin one's game if the other heathen has it active. You can really press 'h' and you're immersed, pure, again, or won't you, given temptation is out there?

Other than ones personal preference in the flying style of others, the current argument for Jason dropping everything to implement that function is not very strong. Preaching to the choir certainly doesn't help. The choir doesn't implement functions and as further downside it also alows you to lead a weak argument without having it really tested.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Pict said:

Have look at some of the YouTube videos I mentioned, they are easy to find as there are many of them, and take note of how much time the pilot spends looking at the cockpit gauges, it's very little time. If you can't understand it beyond that, I cannot help.

I do not need or want your "help" any more than I need or want your patronizing comments. Having played flight sims for twenty or so years I am happy to form and voice my own opinions without policing. I have not only seen loads of videos, I have even made a couple myself! 

Personally I think you are enormously over-rating the advantages of the HUD - except for Icons/labels, which are already a server setting. The idea that MP can be a completely level playing field is, anyway, an illusion. 

What Trups is saying is that eliminating technochat from some servers will make them unplayable for some people. So you lose inclusiveness in order to get an imaginary equality.

It is a fair point that requires a fair answer.  

12 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Now the main problem with the discussion is that we have some people here that are mainly preaching to the choir

The results of the poll suggest that most people are in the choir :) 

Edited by Pict
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Great thread, thanks @bies !

I would like to reteurn to old virtual wars form the first IL2 when hundreds of pilots fly using gauges instead of all-knowing chat.

We would like to have this option available. 

I also fly without this chat since my first week with the game, sometimes i use it just to see how huge advantege it gives to know about every smallest malfunction and constant awareness and i return to gauges with nostalgy.

Flying with chat give me constant situational awareness without the need to look inside the cockpit. 

I would love to have just TAW without chat like their admins want.

Edited by sereme1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

41 minutes ago, Pict said:

The results of the poll suggest that most people are in the choir :) 

34 yes in a poll? 75 invited for a discussion?

Look, I would like the server settings such that you can toggle off the availability of certain info. It just makes sense. (My personal oppinion.) But we need a better argument than this as <100 people are asking for actual cost invested in this product or else they "have a problem when it is not implemented". That is a weak argument.

Just being devils advocate here.

22 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Just being devils advocate here

That right there is the weak argument.

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

In this sense, it is remarkable that we have a discussion that should reather be titled "Why I feel better taking away one of your settings."

At no point is anyone suggesting that any settings are taken away from anyone.

34 yes in a poll?

34 yes out of 39 = over 87% in a poll that ran for just over 1 month and that trended in the same ratio of votes virtually for the whole month.

75 invited for a discussion?

Why not? He was attempting to pull what has become a very large discussion that was spread out all over the board into one thread? I was one of those tagged and even although I'd made a poll showing overwhelming support for the idea, I had little idea of how large and how deep the desire for this option reached until he tagged me. Good job I say.

You try to make it appear that everyone else has been blocked from the discussion, which is just not the case. Where you blocked from this discussion?

Edited by Pict

57 minutes ago, Pict said:

That right there is the weak argument.

It is a position. Not an argument.

57 minutes ago, Pict said:

At no point is anyone suggesting that any settings are taken away from anyone.

De-selecting the possibility for a user having a certain option is taking away a setting. Even if its just for a round of playing.

1 hour ago, Pict said:

34 yes out of 39 = over 87% in a poll

1 out of 1 gives you even higher percentage. When looking at the monthly stats of player logging in to BoX, you think 34 in one month are a lot? If so, I'd be really scared about the future of the sim.

As for stats, 34 out of 39 just tells you that some friends found each other in the forum.

It is of note that the wording of the poll is (although most likely not intended as such) problematic, as it casts a moral bias on the question. It says "Would you be ok with..". This in essence is a start for confronting identities, namely the ones that are ok with... and the ones that are NOT ok with... Framing a poll like that exposes any participant being marginalized, as he/she, form then on, has identified himself/herself as member certain group. In this thread and in the OP's statements, there is a clear distinction between what is kosher and what is not. Anyone using technochat is either a lesser being, or a poor soul that has not realized his mistake. These people represent what labor camps were (and sill are) for. Just to educated them, making them realize tehir mistakes. Now, despite all rantings, this forum is still a very benign place in the internet (thanks Haash & Bearcat!!!) but the potential exposure cannot be overlooked, especially looking at the very low number of participants. This means, unless you have the (easy to guess) "correct" answer to give, you are likely to avoid the poll.

You see, as devils advocate, I thus can tell you that not only the numbers are too low to demonstrate any degree of confidence, but also the framing of the poll itself makes it tainted.

1 hour ago, Pict said:

Where you blocked from this discussion?

No. honestly, I missed that althogether.

But I do hope many will join and find a reason that makes Jason spend money on their desires. So far, I think we are still a tad south of that. I wish I could give you one, but as much as I think it would make sense having the option, I see other needs to be adressed first. Just in case it wouldn't come for free having the update.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

It is a position. Not an argument.

Disagree, you are attempting to argue on behalf of the developer, which you are not.

I will say this again, because as far as I'm concerned it's just the fact of the matter. At no point is anyone suggesting that any settings are taken away from anyone.

If it is made an option, then it will be up to those hosting the server to decide whether to apply it or not. Then it will be up to the player as to whether they want to join the server or not.

57 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

It is of note that the wording of the poll is (although most likely not intended as such) problematic, as it casts a moral bias on the question. It says "Would you be ok with..".

The poll was closed so that nobody could see what you voted, so comparing my wording of the poll to "work camps" is just a tad over the top :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Ha ha ha,

I love the way some people want to drag down what was a perfectly reasonable topic to their mud slinging depths!!

In no way would this impact the individual, it would be a server setting (read the title of the thread), if you don't like the setting, don't join the server!!

As for HUD or technochat not offering any advantage, then someone needs to explain to me why every modern fighter aircraft is equipped with one?

Pict, its a very valid topic of conversation, but unfortunately some people are not open to the views of others, even when its offered with supporting evidence.

As for loosing inclusiveness, some servers now only allow joystick control, is that not the same?

I believe it should be available as a choice to whoever goes to all the trouble to make and host a server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Pict said:

Disagree, you are attempting to argue on behalf of the developer, which you are not.

I try you making a better argument. I expect you can. If you want.

1 hour ago, Pict said:

...so comparing my wording of the poll to "work camps" is just a tad over the top :wacko:

It was not adressed at your wording, but at the basic mechanism on how things work. But you are right, it was maybe out of place.

18 hours ago, MicEzo said:

Other simulators (except IL2 GB) do not have this unrealistic feature in realistic settings servers and people are happy, nobody complains

That's not true for RoF and IIRc not true for CloD, either; both have HUD elements telling you position of your mixture lever (which is kind of information I say we need to keep).

- when you are fighting to force all others to play with chat like you prefer and not to have any choice. It's sad.

No. I know you guys are urging for some arcade players to come here and argue with you he needs to run engine without looking at gauges, but that's not me. Please read my posts and not put words in my mouth.
- Technochat can be turned off on client side. Nobody can be forced to play with it. It was never the issue. The issue you guys have is with other players using technochat on same server to gain in-game advantage while you don't use it.
- I'm not fighting to leave elements of technochat that give players an advantage, either. I'm fighting to keep elements of technochat that are present as 2d displays in other sims, and which in BoX have been rolled into technochat.

You should respect some people prefer more light arcade options like you, some prefer more realistic immersive settings.

There is nothing immersive in fighting my key/axis bindings because game stops giving me diagnostic information. It's sabotaging game controls feedback, not improving immersion. 

What flying I still do (or did) is done in full real enviroment, mostly in RoF. You're making assumptions about me, again. 

I find it most disturbing that people advocating this change keep switching between saying it's for their own immersion (exept, they can shut it off  on their side) and leveling the playing field (which can still be accomplished without butchering levers feedback). It has all signs of people having made emotional decision and then switching between whatever rationalisations seem to justify it. 

You didn't play TAW anyway, you did have left after 2 flights so for you it would be no difference at all. You wouldn't even feel this option exists.

You mean, in current tour. I was dragged there by my squadronmates and lost interest when they did. I haven't done much flying since May due to IRL reasons. My observations still stay.

You are right in that my favourite part of sim (WW1) won't be affected that much. But I'm sure I'll feel this option when I'll try to make a foray into WW2. 

Be happy and let the others be happy.

That's exactly what I'm asking for :)!  And tell apart things that genuinely harm you from things that are harmless to you, happen to be useless for you but can be useful for players with different hardware. 

Thank you all for the contribution!

More than 50 upvotes in just a few days - it may be the single most supported suggestion in history of IL2: BoX forum :salute:

We hope we could have this option before next TAW edition but we know the developers are very busy preparing three different projects at once so we just hope for the best.

Have a fantastic day!

cheers

Edited by bies
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

On 7/17/2018 at 9:31 PM, JG5_Schuck said:

I believe it should be available as a choice to whoever goes to all the trouble to make and host a server.

That's a very valid and equally overlooked point :good:

• Upvote 1

I don't really know why I'm in the list of people given by OP, but I really strongly support this option to be available and gave the link to my squadron mates so they can add there voice to mine. Thanks a lot for this thread!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JG5_Schuck said:

Something like this would be nice!!

Experten!.JPG

Of you include „no head zoom“, you should also have the option „restrict horizontal head rotation to +-100 degrees“.

• Upvote 3

Why this option doesn't already present?! that's so evident! 

There are some problems of quiting technochat. If some of the systems are not modeled are imposible to manage without the system. For example you can not check oil temperature on the 109 because the swich between water and oil on the indicator is not modeled so..

I agree that if everything is well done to add the option of not showing the technochat is good

Edited by E69_geramos109

Absolutely needed as an option for the server. Make a difference between the oracle chat that hints you for mixtures and overheat and simple lever positions chat that are difficult to read for keyboarders, but too easy for those with analogue sticks.

@E69_geramos109 raises a valid point - fix or make available chat for gauges that are currently not modelled. 

Yeah pls devs can we see that implemented in game? Would be a kick ass option for some servers.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:51 AM, JG5_Schuck said:

Something like this would be nice!!

Experten!.JPG

This would be perfect, something the devs should definitely add to the game. 

There are two reasons why I currently fly with chat on,

1. I don't know the aircraft well enough to fly with chat off

2. The unrealistic engin limits make it so there is no margin of error when managing your engine so you have to make sure you aren't in mil or wep for any longer than the time limit, this is unrealistic and is one of the reasons I keep chat on so I can see when I'm in mil or wep.

These two reasons are mainly because I don't know the aircraft and don't feel like taking the time to learn them. I just figure there is no point when there is a techno chat telling me everything I need to know.

I much prefer flying without techno chat because it increases immersion so much, imo it's very fun to have to really manage your engine and constantly check gauges and temps just like in DCS.

I vote for the option to remove tech chat.

Only aircraft I know how to fly without chat is the P-40, mostly because I can actually read the gauges and know the engine limits. All of the russian aircraft I really dont know how to read, but having tech chat removed would def give me incentive to learn and would increase my experience and enjoyment of the russian aircraft.

EDIT: Has anyone ever mentioned this to the devs? Or do they scroll through the forums just like us? I know they are busy but this would be an excellent feature to have added to the game.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, Legioneod said:

EDIT: Has anyone ever mentioned this to the devs? Or do they scroll through the forums just like us? I know they are busy but this would be an excellent feature to have added to the game.

I did not send a private massage to Jason or other dev. I didn't want to put a pressure, they are busy coding few games at once.

I believe in the sense of the developers, I believe that they will take this suggestion into account, considering its support.

In an interview with Froogle a few days ago, Jason stated that the game is able to disable all text messages by Server Administrator and fly without any helpers like a real pilot. What is not the case right now.
Maybe Jason does not even know this option can not be disabled by Server Administrator?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNCAgrMzyE

cheers and have a nice day:salute:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bies said:

In an interview with Froogle a few days ago, Jason stated that the game is able to disable all text messages by Server Administrator and fly without any helpers like a real pilot. What is not the case right now.
Maybe Jason does not even know this option can not be disabled by Server Administrator?

That would be funny.

Even better if it was an anticipation on the content of the next patch. One can dream ! :P

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bies said:

I did not send a private massage to Jason or other dev. I didn't want to put a pressure, they are busy coding few games at once.

I believe in the sense of the developers, I believe that they will take this suggestion into account, considering its support.

cheers and have a nice day:salute:

I watched that vid and thought the same exact thing, technically he was correct though, we can fly without tech chat but we cannot force it as a server setting yet.

Once and if we get the ability to have tech chat as a server option it will greatly improve gameplay imo, players will be more cautious about their aircraft and will play more carefully, this in turn will give us a more realistic experience when fighting other players since players wont know exactly whats going on all the time.

I'm very interested in seeing how gameplay will change if we ever get the option in-game. Hope we will someday soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bies said:

Cool interview, thanks for the link.

I just finished watching the whole thing and the points where turning the labels off starts approximately around 11:28 and 11:37, but I heard no mention of Server Administrator.

Herne asked the question about techtips in the AMA on reddit. A somewhat positive response. 

I recommend reading the full list of questions as there is some good info, but here is the specific one related to this thread -

image.thumb.png.ed7a2d295dea166b27bbb37209164109.png

Edited by =EXPEND=Tripwire
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 1:14 PM, Pict said:

Cool interview, thanks for the link.

Froogle's interview with Jason

11:47

(...) and you can fly the plane in a very realistic manner without any helpers (...)

(...) helpers which will remind you to do certain things like rise your landing gearn or put your flaps down (...)

(...) so you don't have to look at the cockpit gauges per se.

Or you can turn that off and fly just like a real pilot and, you know, have that challenge for you as well and we also give
multiplayer server operators an option to turn this helpers on or off.
So you can find the multiplayer server you are happiest with.

Edited by kramer
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Herne asked the question about techtips in the AMA on reddit. A somewhat positive response. 

Thanks for the read, that was very informative :good:

Nice to see that some "technology limitations, not gonna happen" answers we got here a while ago turned into "we're thinking about it"

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

2 hours ago, kramer said:

Froogle's interview with Jason

11:47

(...) and you can fly the plane in a very realistic manner without any helpers (...)

(...) helpers which will remind you to do certain things like rise your landing gearn or put your flaps down (...)

(...) so you don't have to look at the cockpit gauges per se.

Or you can turn that off and fly just like a real pilot and, you know, have that challenge for you as well and we also give
multiplayer server operators an option to turn this helpers on or off.
So you can find the multiplayer server you are happiest with.

Good call, I missed that 1st & 2nd time around

• Upvote 1

I made a search on the forum on technochat and found this great thread. This and the 9k bubble to spot contacts are the 2 features that are not letting me enjoying this game to its full potential ! TY Bies and all who took the time to add to this important thread!

i’m a supporter! I love the flight sims and wwii niche in particular. I’ve bought 4 collectors editions just to support the developemnet, even if my flying hours were on other sims. This game is slowly reaching a mature status, it’s time to make it great!

The 9k bubble is a complex technical thing and i can understand it takes time to solve, but i really don’t understand why not letting server admins chose on the technochat.

Also IMHO technochat makes feel the game engine mangement much simpler. ‘’Stay below 80% trhottle and everything is fine” while in real engines it’s always a combination of pressure and temperature. Give away the technochat and the player will never know exactly what coocked the engine (too high rpm, pressure, temperature or i did just stress it for too much time?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Thanks @=FEW=Herne for reminding about this during AMA.

I would like to see the ability to turn off techno chat at the server level. +1000. Have always flown with it off, and nav markers off. I only use it when I learn a new plane in quick mission.

Technochat on engine modes and the RPM and manifold pressure limits written in specifications dont seem to go hand in hand very well for most planes

It would be nice to have this as an option, but with the engine management being what it is now I personally will not fly without technochat. At least not before testing out and writing down actual mode limits plane by plane. It doesnt help that sometimes higher modes are limited to just 1 or 2 minutes

If the artificial tech-chat is going out then please no more artificial time boost limiters, too. You know... in some planes you have to set everything precisely or stuff will not perform and blow up unexpectedly.

All to a nice extra advantage to more automated crates.

Besides, a pilot sitting in a real machine gets feedback in multitude ways, we can not in the game. Like keeping flight coordinated just by feeling forces directly by the body. I wouldn't like to be more "blind" than already I am in the sim.

Edited by Ehret

show us the state of bombfuzes in the cockpit and you can do with technochat whatever you want in my opinion 😄