Bies

Using cockpit gauges vs. technochat - Adding an option to turn off the “technochat” in realism menu by server administrator

none,

25 minutes ago, sereme1 said:

People here agreed 2d bars from RoF (which compensated feeling the controls in the hand) are ok.

But what is a profit of having overheat message when you have temp gauge in the cockpit? Or damage control? Or optimal mixture control? Or flaps % if you have indicator in the cockpit? And many more. The only profit of that is you don't have to use the cockpit at all, even in most realistic servers. Just fly with you sight locked at the enemy 100% of the time.

PS. Why aybody would take i.e. thermometer as additional gauge in WWI FC planes if he has tipses which are more capable and do not weight 1kg?😃

If we have a gauge it's not required,if itcan  measure the said thing in question, but we are not in a real plane ,  feeling say the shudder , shake etc..or have the experience to interpret that (just an example) as to what is wrong (as one example) say when damage is done.

how do u model that accurately with just a visual and or with audio? , currently its done with technochat (on a very basic and far to simplistic way, its badly done, but cost effective implementation by the devs), it overdone with redundant info also, that needs to go yes.

The problem is not the "technochat: the problem is a txt message and the current implementation with some of it redundant info.

Yes its very poorly done, but it's rubbish to say you can model everything with a gauge and lever....(as an example)

Graphics and audio in any simulator is just not that good , neither is the computer power to do it and make it a fun playable experience currently

If the control column is shaking you are damn sure going to notice that real quick in a real plane, but on pc unless thats only going to be a visual queue, and the impact on your response to that event is going to be delayed and altered *somewhat* in a pc sim.

Some form of artificial feedback is required... we are prob never going to get that in a pc sim otherwise.

From damage perspective at the very least its required (in some form)

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

Community of the game is expnding. There is a need to have more options for different realism settings to please both sim and more casual players. 

It just because the product grows.

The "middle" we have right now becomes too tight to fit everyone: on the one hand we have realistic modeling of many systems and cockpits, on the other hand we have tips more expanded than in some far less realism oriented flight games, rendering cockpits and gauges not practically useful, and this tips are available on every realism level servers. This reduces the experience for more sim oriented players. We just need an option to choose.

Considering the support for this idea, could you @Jason_Williams express your opinion whether adding such an option for server administrators will be possible?
cheers and have a nice day!

Edited by Bies
  • Upvote 12

Several months ago, I start to play DCS WWII planes(P-51D,spitfire Mk.9,bf109 K-4....)
When I back to IL-2 BOX. suddenly, I really feel the technochat is strange!!! then I turn it off !!!

Fantastic things was happened, I got hundredfold pleasure in flight.

I can hear engine sound to set my throttle position, I can read cockpit gauges and see mechanical responses.
Even I can turn off the "technochat" in SP, add an option of "technochat" in MP please!!!

• Upvote 5

Please please please allow servers to turn this off, it would take the sim side of the game to another level. I and many others are really hoping for this change. All the beautiful gauges go to waste by having the techchat on.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 392FS_Jred said:

Please please please allow servers to turn this off, it would take the sim side of the game to another level. I and many others are really hoping for this change. All the beautiful gauges go to waste by having the techchat on.

Not only gauges go to waste also its like newbie arcade messages too, raise your gear, flaps %, gear down etc.

If the pilot forget his gear its his problem, let him forget and fly with gear down, if he doesnt know how much flaps he puts or forgot to raise the flaps, also his problem.

Let them pay for their mistakes, make them  learn the proper power settings reading the instruments.

It will make a difference for sure between just jumping and fighting in a plane  vs knowing the plane, then the pilot who is proficient will have an advantage.(More like in real life).

Would be great to have this option to remove technochat in a server like TAW.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Please guys, use the feedback option now available and let the devs know how we feel.

Get as many people as possible: Squad mates, friends, family, next door neighbors, the man you see walking his dog............

Motoadve, TAW would be awesome if this were to be implemented,

Kathon has said as soon as its an option it will be.

Looking forward to the day when i know the other guy fighting against me isn't using the technochat to gain an advantage!!

Edited by JG5_Schuck
  • Upvote 4

The trouble with asking for all these server options is that this sim has only one real attended server. Wings of Liberty

so likely you won’t get a choice. If WoL allows technocrat then that’s what you’ll have to deal with. There aren’t any choices to be had online in IL-2

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

The trouble with asking for all these server options is that this sim has only one real attended server. Wings of Liberty

so likely you won’t get a choice. If WoL allows technocrat then that’s what you’ll have to deal with. There aren’t any choices to be had online in IL-2

So that means just leave it as is?

There are quite a few other servers besides WoL that will certainly turn off technochat if it was an option.

It should be a server option, simple as that.

26 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

There are quite a few other servers besides WoL that will certainly turn off technochat if it was an option.

WoL is the only server that ever has enough players on it. Maybe TAW occasionally but it’s usually underpopulated. 

So if this an option it’s not likely you’ll get a choice on how to set it. 

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

So if this an option it’s not likely you’ll get a choice on how to set it. 

Kinda the whole point of it being a server option that way it's forced on all players in the server. There's also more than just wings or TAW, even if the server does not have as many players it's still better for it to be an option.

In all honestly I don't see what player count has to do with it being made a server option.

• Upvote 1

I agree that technochat should be better done to avoir you to fly only by using it instead of looking a jauge., but beeing able to still understood the stage of tour inputs.  But this is a matter of personal choice. And maybe servers are too much crowded, so this kind of option that will keep beginers away from them are really needed.

Came here looking to see if there was any new news regarding this. 

Jason was asked on the reddit Q&A a few months ago about the possibility of doing this, he said that he was not opposed to it, but needed to check why they did not set it up this way in the first place.

Now even if there are no show stopping reasons to make the change, I understand that a change such as this could be take a while to implement just from the point of view of priorities, and finding the time to make the change, but If possible I would like to know if Jason had a chance to discuss it with Han yet and if such a change would not be "Too" much trouble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/27/2018 at 2:05 PM, =11=Herne said:

Came here looking to see if there was any new news regarding this. 

Jason was asked on the reddit Q&A a few months ago about the possibility of doing this, he said that he was not opposed to it, but needed to check why they did not set it up this way in the first place.

Now even if there are no show stopping reasons to make the change, I understand that a change such as this could be take a while to implement just from the point of view of priorities, and finding the time to make the change, but If possible I would like to know if Jason had a chance to discuss it with Han yet and if such a change would not be "Too" much trouble.

Removing Tehnocrat requires one more thing, removal of Timers so we can fly by the temperatures and not clock.

2 minutes ago, CSAF-D3adCZE said:

Removing Tehnocrat requires one more thing, removal of Timers so we can fly by the temperatures and not clock.

Personally I do not mind the clock. Push your engine too hard, and it's likely just as probable to blow a gasket or throw a rod before you overheat.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

I first mentioned this over 5 years ago...............

How time flies! (excuse the pun!)

techno.JPG.75e042a01289e97c26cbfe439709051d.JPG

And it was mentioned again (by Tripwire), this time to Jason over 2 years ago.

Not really sure what the opposition is to it, its just an option to turn it on or off!

Something like this would be nice...

Experten!.thumb.JPG.72cace5c4f1661231fa952e77b170df7.JPG

The headzoom is a personal hate of mine, that would just be a just a bonus.

Would be great to get rid of the compass and the ' *** has joined the server'    '*** has fired on a friendly'   messages as well!

Would it really be that hard to add this, it can't be as hard as developing a plane surely, and that doesn't take years!!

Fingers crossed, one day........

On 12/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, JG5_Schuck said:

The headzoom is a personal hate of mine, that would just be a just a bonus.

Off topic but the zoom view isn’t an artificial aid. Unless you want to regulate the monitor size that players use. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/28/2018 at 1:28 PM, =11=Herne said:

Personally I do not mind the clock. Push your engine too hard, and it's likely just as probable to blow a gasket or throw a rod before you overheat.

None of the engines are pushed that hard to do that with the the exception of the P-40 as it has no regulator and can overboost way over Allisons WEP setting of 56"Hg (and even then RAF and RAAF units operated at 66-72"Hg for prolonged periods of time like 20 minutes without hurting the engine.)

I personally would happy with the option to remove technochat with the exception of what power setting you are in. Gamey engine mechanics deserve gamey representation.

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal
  • Upvote 1

I agree. Absolutely 100%!

+1 for „ no technochat” option for MP.

...but the last time I was on Wings of Liberty server and I didnt notice technochat, so looks like its possible to remove it (?).

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, YoYo said:

I agree. Absolutely 100%!

+1 for „ no technochat” option for MP.

...but the last time I was on Wings of Liberty server and I didnt notice technochat, so looks like its possible to remove it (?).

Maybe you just turned technochat off only for youself in options.

1 hour ago, MicEzo said:

Maybe you just turned technochat off only for youself in options.

No, I checked it and "H" hasnt any impact.

Maybe deep programing or cfg settings?

Edited by YoYo

Can not get feedback from the developers on this? The demand is so intense that they can not ignore it

Great..... another up-date i thought...... (always appreciated by the way)

Maybe this time...

I hit download..waited for the installation..hit play,

I held my breath, and....... disappointment, still nothing.... bugger...

• Upvote 3

My experience here: I've been playing IL-2 nearly a year and i didn't know HUD or techno chat even exists. Probably i turned this off in options during my first time configuration.

I hear some guys saying something like "set RPM to 75%" or "I have engine overheat" but i wasn't what they were talking about and i forgot about that. So it's absolutly possible to play without is like in old IL-2 1946 virtual front.

Only after reading this topic i have noticed this HUD is ON in every server and administrators are unable to turn it OFF even if they want to and even if players on some server would like to also fly without it.

I came from DCS and this HUD or chat is the biggest difference, for me it is gamey. I personally don't like it, but i thing it could be usefull for very new players in easier servers.

With techno chat you don't have to look into the cockpit but all the time you can observe the situation around you, like in a modern fighter with a HUD displayed on the helmet.

If all other sims have an option to hide the HUD by server admin IL-2 should, most definitely, have this option also.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zwarteeend said:

My experience here: I've been playing IL-2 nearly a year and i didn't know HUD or techno chat even exists. Probably i turned this off in options during my first time configuration.

I hear some guys saying something like "set RPM to 75%" or "I have engine overheat" but i wasn't what they were talking about and i forgot about that. So it's absolutly possible to play without is like in old IL-2 1946 virtual front.

Only after reading this topic i have noticed this HUD is ON in every server and administrators are unable to turn it OFF even if they want to and even if players on some server would like to also fly without it.

I came from DCS and this HUD or chat is the biggest difference, for me it is gamey. I personally don't like it, but i thing it could be usefull for very new players in easier servers.

With techno chat you don't have to look into the cockpit but all the time you can observe the situation around you, like in a modern fighter with a HUD displayed on the helmet.

If all other sims have an option to hide the HUD by server admin IL-2 should, most definitely, have this option also.

Yep. We are still waiting for this seemingly minor addition.

Hi Folks,

Just to say that I have upgraded my PC and flight sim rig and have recently moved over to 100% VR flying with the Pimax 5k+.  I fly with nothing in my view but the cockpit and have no digital compass or tech chat and I don't have any typed messages on the screen and I don't take part in any on-screen chat.  No on-screen communication at all.

The VR is so immersive that I don't want to sully my combat flight simulation experience with anything on the screen other than what one would expect to see with ones eyes in real life.  It was not easy at first, but now I have got used to it I find that I get so much more out of the flight simulation experience and it feels great!

I know that this way of PC flying is not for all, but I love it as it adds so much to the overall sense of flying :))

I have a MSFF2 joystick and a FF JetSeat too, which I would highly recommend for a quality combat flight simulation experience.

Lastly, I would just like to say that it is very much an advantage to have tech-chat information on IMHO (I used it for years), but without that sort of crutch now I am loving this simulation even more!  If folks want to use tech-chat to feed them information that is fine with me, because I now that flight simulation is hard to master and folks want to jump in and out of various aircraft types without remembering how to operate them down to a detailed level and want to optimise their SA in the combat zone.  But I find it so much more rewarding and immersive to leave all that on-screen information behind.  And, to be honest it was moving over to VR that prompted me to go the whole hog in immersion and do without tech-chat and any on-screen information.

Different strokes for different folks though and we all have different ways of enjoying this wonderful flight simulation. 

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 11/29/2018 at 7:43 AM, =RS=Stix_09 said:

The problem is not the "technochat: the problem is a txt message and the current implementation with some of it redundant info.

I never understand why someone need - in il-2:46 or IL-2:Box, a blink icon and/or text message saying "cockpits light: ON", etc... the guy are not seeing the lights?  :wacko:

Edited by Sokol1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Just became aware of this thread.  These are the ideas I'd like to see as server options:

1). Technochat off. 

2) Anonymous teams in the scoreboard screen.  You could see the amount of players on the other team but, not names or scores.  You would only be able to see your own team's names and score.  You wouldn't see the other team's overall score either. You would have to gauge progress or losses by only your team's overall score. Full reveal of players on teams and both team's scores would only be on the final result screen for the match and webpage stats posted after the match.

3) Kill info removed from chat.  Player destroyed player X, plane type X or ground target type X would be removed.  Players would only see results with their own eyes or in the debrief screen.

4) Opponents did sometimes hijack each other's radio channels so, general chat still allowed, but anonymous (and still at the player's option to disable).  General chat would show the name of the person talking only to their team.  If someone wanted the other team to know they were there, they would have to announce themselves.  If "Hans Aceman" jumped onto the enemy frequency and talked trash, I doubt the opponent would be like "I recognize that voice! Oh crap! It's Hans Aceman!".   Granted, there was probably a system in place for switching radio channels to "clean" ones when the enemy flooded the comms but, we don't have anything like that in-game so, it is what it is...  Yes we have team-only chat but, the general chat still comes in. I'd be ok with permanent team-only chat settings too.

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

nothing i can say here that hasnt been said already. just please keep the topic alive. there is no good reason not to add the option for servers to do this

• Upvote 1

I use tecnochat when I am unfamiliar with a plane. In special when changing sides. 

But one can do that anywhere and then go to a full realism server. 

But after a flight in lw planes the engine settings in all bombers and attack aircraft is almost the same. 

There will not be much of a difference

Having so many choices in MP won’t be feasible anyways. 

There is only one regularly populated server; Wings of Liberty

so whatever they decided to do is what you’ll live with. 

Since they have the map icons enabled my guess is they would have techno chat enabled too. WoL with navigation icons is not super full real as it is. 

19 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Since they have the map icons enabled my guess is they would have techno chat enabled too. WoL with navigation icons is not super full real as it is. 

Haven't had to suffer flying on that server in a while, might pop in occasionally, but there are plenty of other servers with people in it on the regular.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I don't see why having the ability to remove the more arcade type features from a server whether those servers are popular or not make any difference. All this thread is asking for is the ability to turn those setting on or off.

True, Wings of Liberty is a very popular server but its also true that is caters more to the arcade side of the game and, I don't think anyone is asking for that to change.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JG51_Moostafa said:

I don't see why having the ability to remove the more arcade type features from a server whether those servers are popular or not make any difference. All this thread is asking for is the ability to turn those setting on or off.

True, Wings of Liberty is a very popular server but its also true that is caters more to the arcade side of the game and, I don't think anyone is asking for that to change.

I agree about having the option to turn off technocrat. But asking for MP options in a game dominated by a single server is rather futile.