Jump to content
Han

Game version 3.003 discussion: Battle of Bodenplatte Early Access

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

Interestingly enough, this diagram shows approx 120rnds for the 20mm and 150 for the mg:
gun-installation-e-wing-2.jpg
From this page: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/sorting-out-the-e-american-armament-for-the-spitfire-mk-ixxvi.html

 

Something to bear in mind is that IXc Spits can and were converted into IXe's at unit level* in the field (e.g 485sqn just before D-Day) so those ones would definitely would be 120rpg. I had a look in "the bible" (Spitfire: The History) and in the chapters for both the IX and XIV it states 120rpg for the cannon and 250rpg for hmg (in facsimiles of Vickers tables detailing weight of equipment).

* But not by unit personal, working teams were sent out by Vickers to do the job.


EDIT: Doh! I see others have bet me too it! 😄

 

That makes sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

Interestingly enough, this diagram shows approx 120rnds for the 20mm and 150 for the mg:
gun-installation-e-wing-2.jpg
From this page: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/sorting-out-the-e-american-armament-for-the-spitfire-mk-ixxvi.html

 

Something to bear in mind is that IXc Spits can and were converted into IXe's at unit level* in the field (e.g 485sqn just before D-Day) so those ones would definitely would be 120rpg. I had a look in "the bible" (Spitfire: The History) and in the chapters for both the IX and XIV it states 120rpg for the cannon and 250rpg for hmg (in facsimiles of Vickers tables detailing weight of equipment).

* But not by unit personal, working teams were sent out by Vickers to do the job.

EDIT: Doh! I see others have bet me too it! 😄

This source is not dated as mine is

 

Our Spitfire is not a conversion as it doesn't have ejection ports for the .303 gun installation. That makes it late war E-wing by manufacture.

Edited by Talon_
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bullets said:

was the 190 at stalingrad, did the macchi ever fly in combat with 20mm gunpods, how common were the 30mm cannon on the lags....     the list goes on.    This however there were thousands of spits on the continent WITH +25lbs within the time-frame of BOBP.    Historical accuracy is there and I can't see why the devs decided to not include it.

Indeed,  there  were indeed numerous +25lbs spits on the continent after January 1945  and you are right, the time frame is correct for the last month or two of the BOBP time frame. The fuel was shipping out from January 1945 and the Houghton report  indicates that from early February 1945, the RAF was using 150 fuel. I would very much like to see a +25lbs spit but I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact that we haven't got it right now. Maybe the Devs will include it later down the line but who knows,? I know I don't.  The one thing that the Devs consistently do is surprise us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

This source is not dated as mine is

 

Our Spitfire is not a conversion as it doesn't have ejection ports for the .303 gun installation. That makes it late war E-wing by manufacture.

You're right it isn't dated, but to be honest that date conclusive of much. I find it hard to make out but it seems to me to say either 'Dec 1943' or 'Dec 1945'. If it's the former then it pre-dates the introduction and production of the E wing and so may not be indicative of what was finally produced (note that the diagram has the slim, older style of cannon fairing rather than the later style we have in-game), while if it's the latter date then it's post war and again not necessarily indicative of war time spec... post war Vickers designed a number of improvements and refinements for Spitfire operators. Either way, those dates (which, granted, I can't be sure I've read right) fall outside of the BoBP scenario timeline by a reasonable margin.

It was easy enough to blank over the ejection ports, done with fabric patches like with the muzzles. I'm not ruling out your suggestion but it begs the question of how they fitted more ammo in. They'd have to either move rib 13 out (a hassle on the production line and necessitating a redesign of the ribs and lmg bays outboard of 13) or somehow get some more depth in the ammo bays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Indeed,  there  were indeed numerous +25lbs spits on the continent after January 1945  and you are right, the time frame is correct for the last month or two of the BOBP time frame. The fuel was shipping out from January 1945 and the Houghton report  indicates that from early February 1945, the RAF was using 150 fuel. I would very much like to see a +25lbs spit but I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact that we haven't got it right now. Maybe the Devs will include it later down the line but who knows,? I know I don't.  The one thing that the Devs consistently do is surprise us.

 

I didn't sleep a wink last night. 😉😋

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

You're right it isn't dated, but to be honest that date conclusive of much. I find it hard to make out but it seems to me to say either 'Dec 1943' or 'Dec 1945'. If it's the former then it pre-dates the introduction and production of the E wing and so may not be indicative of what was finally produced (note that the diagram has the slim, older style of cannon fairing rather than the later style we have in-game), while if it's the latter date then it's post war and again not necessarily indicative of war time spec... post war Vickers designed a number of improvements and refinements for Spitfire operators. Either way, those dates (which, granted, I can't be sure I've read right) fall outside of the BoBP scenario timeline by a reasonable margin.

It was easy enough to blank over the ejection ports, done with fabric patches like with the muzzles. I'm not ruling out your suggestion but it begs the question of how they fitted more ammo in. They'd have to either move rib 13 out (a hassle on the production line and necessitating a redesign of the ribs and lmg bays outboard of 13) or somehow get some more depth in the ammo bays.

 

No ramp on the inside of the access panel for the under-gun feed mechanism in the rear ammo bay (direct feed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I do know is this Spit IX now has me jonesing for a Spit XIV. Those five bladed Griffon motor Spitfires looked badass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About Spitfire Mk.V - clipped wings:

 

“Indeed, although extremely fast at ground level (560 km/h in level flight at sea level) they turned into real “lead dogs” at 3000 meters altitude where we had to conduct our escort missions. The square wings also made them lose the main quality of the Spitfire which is to turn sharply. We have only limited confidence in these aircraft - feeling more or less justified by the fact that the airframes all had about 300 hours, and, more seriously, the engines 100 to 150 hours. It's not always fun to cross the Channel back and forth, twice a day, on a single engine of this kind! Finally, the guns have only sixty shells each (against one hundred and forty-five in the Spitfire IX!). 

 

Excerpts from Pierre Clostermann, “Le Grand Cirque.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

 

No ramp on the inside of the access panel for the under-gun feed mechanism in the rear ammo bay (direct feed)

Sorry mate, I don't quite follow you. Is it possible to highlight the part you're referring to please?

Edited by HBPencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

Sorry mate, I don't quite follow you. Is it possible to highlight the part you're referring to please?

Not easily. Basically there's a little more space in the rear ammo box that feeds the outer gun because there's a different ramp and roller assembly to feed the ammunition under the outer gun to the inner bay in the forward box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the new update has come out, I have audio crackling in my HTC Vive Pro. The sound is completely distorted. Is anyone else having this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought da BooBs. :dance:

 

Gotta love early access. Great selling point. And now I have about 15 whole minutes to fly and then off to work.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GunneryAce said:

Now that the new update has come out, I have audio crackling in my HTC Vive Pro. The sound is completely distorted. Is anyone else having this issue?

 

Win10 update that came out recently changed the sound stuff significantly, check the sound levels in Windows to be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Something to bear in mind is that IXc Spits can and were converted into IXe's at unit level* in the field (e.g 485sqn just before D-Day) so those ones would definitely would be 120rpg. I had a look in "the bible" (Spitfire: The History) and in the chapters for both the IX and XIV it states 120rpg for the cannon and 250rpg for hmg (in facsimiles of Vickers tables detailing weight of equipment).

 

Another thing to bear in mind is the fact these planes were converted by replacing their wings with new ones fresh from the factory, and not jury rigging the old C type wings to E type standard.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, II./JG53Lutzow_z06z33 said:

I bought BOBP but can't login to the sim. It says my email or password is wrong/key not activated. I tried to change my password still the same issue also my account shoes all keys are activated...

 

Try using "launcher.exe" instead of "Il-2.exe" to start the Sim. Find it in your BOS/bin/game folder. This should automatically update your game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, thanks for solving the black screen issue. That was really annoying.

 

Second, nice to see new aircraft systems available. I hope to see torpedo kommand gerat in future.

 

Third, if you can't shot down a plane using 120 rounds, I believe you won't do it with 135 :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

First of all, thanks for solving the black screen issue. That was really annoying.

 

Second, nice to see new aircraft systems available. I hope to see torpedo kommand gerat in future.

 

Third, if you can't shot down a plane using 120 rounds, I believe you won't do it with 135 :P

I shot down 9 Ace AI G-6s last night with 120 rounds per gun. Could have had the double ace with 135. The Mark II Gyro sight is an aimbot.

Edited by Talon_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a fix to restore the MP round timer in the Spectator tab?

 

It is really annoying to have to work out the time left by looking at the chat msgs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Sorry mate, I don't quite follow you. Is it possible to highlight the part you're referring to please?

 

Found a picture for you. The Hispano feeds ammo over the roller in the rear box which means ammunition can make full use of the entire ammo box. The inner gun bay loses a chunk of space above the feed roller ramp assembly that forces the ammunition down and underneath the outer gun:

 

hispano-04.jpg

 

Edit: another angle 

 

hispano-02.jpg

Edited by Talon_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

I shot down 9 Ace AI G-6s last night with 120 rounds per gun. Could have had the double ace with 135. The Mark II Gyro sight is an aimbot.

Nice but unfortunately playing offline is just lying to yourself.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

Nice but unfortunately playing offline is just lying to yourself.

 

I was online in a co-op mission.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

Nice but unfortunately playing offline is just lying to yourself.

Playing online isn't? I'm pretty sure nobody is going to get the same experience of really flying in WW2 by playing a game.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gather its pointless to preorder Bodenplatte at the moment when you do not have Moscow, Kuban or Stalingrad as you would have nowhere to use its aircraft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BorysVorobyov said:

Playing online isn't? I'm pretty sure nobody is going to get the same experience of really flying in WW2 by playing a game.

 

 

He probably means that shooting down AI is easy compared to humans.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

I gather its pointless to preorder Bodenplatte at the moment when you do not have Moscow, Kuban or Stalingrad as you would have nowhere to use its aircraft?

Yes, you need at least one game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Yes, you need at least one game

 

Cheers, I shall continue to wait for Bodenplatte and Flying Circus then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

 

Cheers, I shall continue to wait for Bodenplatte and Flying Circus then.

 

You'll have the free maps if you buy Bodenplatte only: three seasons of Lapino (small map), winter Velikie Luki (large map) and winter Novosokolniki (small map).

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oliver88 said:

 

Cheers, I shall continue to wait for Bodenplatte and Flying Circus then.

No way, you need to buy at least one game😉.

Its so much fun even if you dont like VVS planes. And you will support developers and genre you like.

And you can try Bodenplatte planes earlier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

 

 

He probably means that shooting down AI is easy compared to humans.

 

Should be easy but some human pilots are easier, sometimes. One forgotten check six is all it takes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ehret said:

Should be easy but some human pilots are easier, sometimes. One forgotten check six is all it takes...

Yep, only players who know what they are doing and aware of their situation are more difficult to shoot down than an ace AI, that always knows where you are and what you are doing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

 

You'll have the free maps if you buy Bodenplatte only: three seasons of Lapino (small map), winter Velikie Luki (large map) and winter Novosokolniki (small map).

 

Thanks for your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Devs…:yahoo:...Gorgeous planes…!!! :fly:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there be a DB 605 AS or ASM engine modification for the G14 added at a later date?

Especially since the K4 will be available in BP, I think the smoothed and bigger engine cowling could be simply taken over from one to the other plane.

is that the reason for it not being included yet, because the model isn´t ready yet?

Or is there a specific reason you chose not to include it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, So_ein_Feuerball said:

Will there be a DB 605 AS or ASM engine modification for the G14 added at a later date?

Especially since the K4 will be available in BP, I think the smoothed and bigger engine cowling could be simply taken over from one to the other plane.

is that the reason for it not being included yet, because the model isn´t ready yet?

Or is there a specific reason you chose not to include it?

 

Model is not ready yet and since we dont have 4 engined bombers we dont need AS variant imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

I have a VivePro and the audio is atrocious.  I don't think its Windows fault.

 

I think that is a Vive Pro issue currently.

I have seen reports of some sending it back due to the audio.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

 

Model is not ready yet and since we dont have 4 engined bombers we dont need AS variant imho

Merlin 70 did not need to be represented for the Spitfire Mk IXe, especially since all the Merlin Spitfires of the 2TAF in this period were most likely either LF Mk IXe or Mk XVI, however for  Bodenplatte, nearly half of the G-14s had the ASM engine

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

 

Win10 update that came out recently changed the sound stuff significantly, check the sound levels in Windows to be sure.

Yes, this. Major Windows updates always trash my SoundBlaster settings. It did this week as usual with the most recent update and it took me a few minutes to figure out why some YouTube videos were wonky. Took a few minutes more to diagnose and remedy the situation. Check your settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...