Han

Game version 3.003 discussion: Battle of Bodenplatte Early Access

11 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I'm not saying I don't want it included but looking at it objectively it appears that 150 Octane wasn't made available on the continent until 15th December 1944 with the supplies shipping out on 2nd January 1945. So the BOBP time frame starting in September 1944 and ending in March 1945 would give a window of around two to three months where 150 would be available or if Brigadier General Houghton's report of 5th of February 1945 is to be believed, one month?  Whatever it may be, as I said earlier in the thread, at some point a modification may become available to enable +25lbs? 

Time frame represented ends on 28th of March which gives nearly 2 months, first conversions listed on the website happen in back in January. Either, way Houghtons statement says the RAF on the continent are using 100/150 1.0T fuel, I don't get where you believe that this implies they started using it on the 5th of February, the report mentions no start date when the 2TAF started using it as it is irrelevant to the contents which is discussion whether 8AF FGs based in Europe should be supplied with 150 Octane

Edited by RoflSeal

7 minutes ago, RoflSeal said:

Time frame represented ends on 28th of March which gives nearly 2 months

So what we have is within the BOBP time frame is 4 months without 150 and 2 months with.  Regards to Houghton's report I wasn't saying he was implying anything other than he states in a report dated February the 5th that the RAF is "now" using 150 Octane. From the start of shipping the fuel to his report is just over a month, so it fairly safe to assume this would fit into an appropriate time frame to outfit the 2nd TAF and other Squadrons in Europe.   

2 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

I meant what was standard from the factory

Both cannons were factory standard, so it depended both on the timeframe and who built the plane. Planes built in Hungary, IIRC, were fitted with 30 mm cannons.

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

One thing that is interesting is the Gyro sight as a modification, will this be an option of other aircraft that had them?

P-47 and P-51 for example would be nice to have the option of fixed or Gyro.

I imagine that'll be the case, since the K-14 was essentially a variant of the British GGS. What'll be interesting is to see if the Fw 190 D-9 and Me 262 are given the option to fit the EZ42.

Edited by LukeFF

I LOVE this community!😍

We've just received "4" versions of the most produced Spitfire (together with an entirely new giro scope), and a beefed-up 109G (Everyone - every "normal" person - I know will just about grant that an E variant will be different from an F, etc, but if I try to say, yeah, but the E4 is sooooo different from the E7, I know I've lost them at "Yeah, but...".

Anyway, we've got these great new aircraft months before I thought they'd be ready, so.... what does this community do?

6 pages arguing about when a higher octane fuel was available to the RAF! And the saddest thing is I really want to know who's right!

Our obsession is a work of art. It's just brilliant.  😎

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I haven't grabbed BoBp yet, but decided to run a quick mission and check out the externals on the new aircraft. I am in love with the G-14, there I said it, I am ready to commit. I really cannot wait to fly a 109 with hardly a canopy frame to be seen. And those rockets, watched the AI fire some off, and the mid air shock wave that resulted when they detonated. I'll probably never use them myself but it was fun to watch. The Spit IXe is a beauty, and with clipped wings it can roll extremely well. The AI did a fairly competent job of trying to force me to overshoot when I got in close with my G-6, to no effect but good effort none the less. 

Ok i'll be the first..... where's the BoBp badges!!!

Forget that, love the new spitfire.  So many modifications. Makes the other games spit mk9 seem so.....unfinished. 

Love the new 109 too. Always liked the look of the bigger rudder on the 109s. Cant wait for the K. 

Love the devs!

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...

2018_5_25_0_4_49.jpg

2018_5_25_0_6_2.jpg

The new Spit is a masterpiece. :good:

Hmmmm, this pretty much dooms my thoughts of waiting to buy BooB.

Will probably buy it tomorrow. Hard to resist that there new Spitfire.  :cool:

Dudes chill out !

Almost certainly the 25lbs boost will be available as a mod because, the 23 , 37 rare cannons were available for the Lagg , 30 mm 108 was available for 109.So you'll see it in game at some point i'm sure.

1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

Hard to resist that there new Spitfire.  :cool:

Gyro gunsight and the detail they've put into it's mechanism is bonkers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DD_Arthur said:

Gyro gunsight and the detail they've put into it's mechanism is bonkers!

There are certainly a few less-than-perfect things to be cited about this game, but there is no question that the planes are pure Haagen-Dazs.

Absolutely gorgeous!

• Like 2

Im getting the good ol' bug where you start from the runway instead of the height indicated when playing quick missions.

To really start at the altitude you want you have to select something else in the drop down and then select the altitude you wanted in the first place.

I've spent a little time with the Bf109G-14 and a lot of time with the Spitfire IX tonight and they are both incredible. You'd think its just another 109 but its so familiar yet different in the details. Absolutely stunning.

The Spitfire IX is also superb. Lots of fun to fly, a ton of different options, and I've taken it out on some train hunting missions and that's a ton of fun. Especially with the rockets but also with the bomb loadout and then just using the cannons.

I'm loving these aircraft.

Got the gyro setup, now to get used to it. I suspect those who master it will be at a great advantage.

So, what can we expect to see from the Tempest?

Thank you very much I know a lot of time and effort has been put in to the 2 planes and me and I bet others appreciate the level of detail and accuracy thank you guys again keep up the Fantastic work 

33 minutes ago, TheBlackPenguin said:

Got the gyro setup, now to get used to it. I suspect those who master it will be at a great advantage.

Fewer options likely. Bombs (500lb and maybe 1000lb) and I'm curious if they will give us rockets to make it a kind of ersatz Typhoon.

Aside from that, a sleek and aerodynamically clean 2000hp+ beast of a British tactical fighter with a high top speed at low and medium altitudes, good roll rate, decent enough turn rate, four extremely impressive Mark V Hispano cannons, and one really cool looking fighter. The Tempest was never given a gyro sight but they did project the gunsight direction on the windscreen which cleared the sight picture up quite a bit.

I can't wait :)

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Im getting the good ol' bug where you start from the runway instead of the height indicated when playing quick missions.

To really start at the altitude you want you have to select something else in the drop down and then select the altitude you wanted in the first place.

Yeah me too, its annoing bug since begining.

5 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

Don't play it until everything is nice to you then? Just a suggestion...

Did I say something about playing?

Mission route bug was fixed. Nice :)

So,was 1C/777 studio expanded?
I saw this line:"Our new Engineer-Programmer Kirill Konnov describes how the gyro gunsight works in detail:"
I'm glad to see the dev team bigger and bigger!:good:

• Upvote 2

Yeah I think the real news here is a new programmer!

1 hour ago, TheBlackPenguin said:

Less than you think: in any turning fighter vs fighter engagement, if you can see the target from your Spitfire, you cannot hit it!

Good for shooting down German bombers. Pity they have become extinct by this time. ;)

Thanks for the update. The team did it again. Impressing and surprising the hell out of this crowd.

Great things to come.

Thanks!!!

5 hours ago, IVJG4-Knight said:

Dudes chill out !

Almost certainly the 25lbs boost will be available as a mod because, the 23 , 37 rare cannons were available for the Lagg , 30 mm 108 was available for 109.So you'll see it in game at some point i'm sure.

I'm not convinced, to return to something that is working and does just fine during the development cycle is not probable. They are a bit behind schedule so if anything such mod would be delivered once BoBp is finished. There are a lot more rare mods and things available so I was pretty convinced that if they choose Spitfire IX over XIV, it will have 25 lbs boost. Well, I was wrong.

Furthermore, if Devs were reluctant to provide high boost for Spitfire IXe which actually operated at such ratings (about half of the campaign timeframe) than what chances are of P-51D running at 72" or 75" Hg (or other Allied fighters running similar settings based on 150 octane Av gas) and represents pretty much the end of Merlin line (I mean this is a very late war version, since it has option to clip wingtips, MK 2 GGS, ordnance and rockets).

I dunno, I'm not nearly as optimistic about ever seeing 25 lbs here.

I am still getting the black screen. But only when I seem to switch between single and multiplayer, without restarting my client. Not sure if that helps or not. Want to thank the dev's for the effort too. New planes are very nice!

the support for the Odyssey is fixed. This is hands down the best VR experience for me right now. Utterly brilliant. I dont have enough superlatives.

39 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

I dunno, I'm not nearly as optimistic about ever seeing 25 lbs here.

I'm worried about "WEP" permissible times much more... In the game it's the major weakness of the P-40 and, thought to lesser extent, the P-39. The latter approach speed of the FN and match in level run the newest G-14 but only for mere 2-3 minutes before the engine blows. It's a bit too strict IMHO.

Good job devs.

This will be a fun couple of months online until I can afford BoBP.

Edited by AeroAce

8 hours ago, No601_Swallow said:

I LOVE this community!😍

We've just received "4" versions of the most produced Spitfire (together with an entirely new giro scope), and a beefed-up 109G (Everyone - every "normal" person - I know will just about grant that an E variant will be different from an F, etc, but if I try to say, yeah, but the E4 is sooooo different from the E7, I know I've lost them at "Yeah, but...".

Anyway, we've got these great new aircraft months before I thought they'd be ready, so.... what does this community do?

6 pages arguing about when a higher octane fuel was available to the RAF! And the saddest thing is I really want to know who's right!

Our obsession is a work of art. It's just brilliant.  😎

Do not forget a new thread about whether the Spitfire IX FM is correct - when flying inverted. :)

Edited by unreasonable

35 minutes ago, ATAG_dB said:

Which one is the right one? I can't tell. 

This source

gun-installation-e-wing-2.jpg

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/sorting-out-the-e-american-armament-for-the-spitfire-mk-ixxvi.html

Or your source

20mm-5in-gun-installation.jpg

You take the most recent document.  If one of them is not properly dated, you take the one that is.

6 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

And whats wrong about that ?

Nothing at all - it is actually quite an interesting issue, I am looking forwards to it's resolution. What that thread's existence does  confirm is Swallow's point about how obsessive we all are.

Edited by unreasonable

37 minutes ago, ATAG_dB said:

Or your source

20mm-5in-gun-installation.jpg

Hard to read the text, but it looks like that document is dated December 1945, which may explain the higher ammo count.

9 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I'm not saying I don't want it included but looking at it objectively it appears that 150 Octane wasn't made available on the continent until 15th December 1944 with the supplies shipping out on 2nd January 1945. So the BOBP time frame starting in September 1944 and ending in March 1945 would give a window of around two to three months where 150 would be available or if Brigadier General Houghton's report of 5th of February 1945 is to be believed, one month?  Whatever it may be, as I said earlier in the thread, at some point a modification may become available to enable +25lbs? 

was the 190 at stalingrad, did the macchi ever fly in combat with 20mm gunpods, how common were the 30mm cannon on the lags....     the list goes on.    This however there were thousands of spits on the continent WITH +25lbs within the time-frame of BOBP.    Historical accuracy is there and I can't see why the devs decided to not include it.🙁

28 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Nothing at all - it is actually quite an interesting issue, I am looking forwards to it's resolution. What that thread's existence does  confirm is Swallow's point about how obsessive we all are.

I'd say ... passionate.

Well, maybe some are indeed obsessed.

Edited by =362nd_FS=Hiromachi

16 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Spitfire has too little ammunition

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/20mm-5in-gun-installation.jpg 

Interestingly enough, this diagram shows approx 120rnds for the 20mm and 150 for the mg:
gun-installation-e-wing-2.jpg
From this page: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/sorting-out-the-e-american-armament-for-the-spitfire-mk-ixxvi.html

Something to bear in mind is that IXc Spits can and were converted into IXe's at unit level* in the field (e.g 485sqn just before D-Day) so those ones would definitely would be 120rpg. I had a look in "the bible" (Spitfire: The History) and in the chapters for both the IX and XIV it states 120rpg for the cannon and 250rpg for hmg (in facsimiles of Vickers tables detailing weight of equipment).

* But not by unit personal, working teams were sent out by Vickers to do the job.

EDIT: Doh! I see others have bet me too it! 😄

Edited by HBPencil