TG-55Panthercules

[MOD] Historically Correct Official Skins (2K and 4K)

1 hour ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

Hello,

See my post.

It is possible to have skins per wing of the player's squadron randomly and to vary the skins of the squadron

It works well for the squadron of the player but I have not managed to make it work for the other AI squadrons that you encounter during your missions. This one has just a generic skin by squadron that works.

Hide contents

Hi Marco,

Thank you - I shall give that a try.

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

I think that I replaced the German default skins with "Hakenkreuz" ones, but without using a MODS folder.

I can't remember how I did that - can someone please help me (I have the Fw 190 - D9 skins to install).

Thanks

I don't believe you can replace the game defaults, they are hard coded.  The game does provide folders for modded skins at:

Non-Steam folder:

Drive:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\planes\"plane type"\textures

To substitute for an existing official skin the mod skin name must be exactly the same as what the game uses.  The path above is also used for the game's normalmaps, where the file name ends with "_B".  No not overwrite a normalmap unless it is with another normalmap, such as a 4K.

Skin mods using JSGME should start their structures after the mod name with the above path starting at the "data" folder.

Any mod skins in this folder will only be seen when the Mod On is checked in the game settings.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

Now that all Luftwaffe Bodenplatte aircraft are released, are there any plans to update this mod to give them authentic markings?

Something I would love to see.

• Upvote 4

I just noticed that forum member spudkopf has created authentic (swastika) skins for 4 of the 5 Bodenplatte aircraft. (Hopefully the 109 g14 will follow soon).

The skins have to be downloaded individually, and so will need some time to put into the correct game folders. (I'm using JSGME and have organised them in the correct file structure to make it easy to switch them in/out, suggest that is best way)

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/44956-fw190d9-official-4k-skins-historically-corrected-default-skin-updated-06042019/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/45308-bf109k4-official-4k-skins-historically-corrected-updated-pm-080419/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/51768-fw190a8f8-official-4k-skins-historically-corrected/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/51669-me262a-official-4k-skins-historically-corrected/

Spudkopf has also created authentic skins for the 4k 109f2 and f4, available here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/27620-4k-bf-109-f-2-template-download-and-4k-skins/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/51826-bf109f4-official-4k-skins-historically-corrected/

Edited by kendo
  • Thanks 2

On 6/16/2019 at 1:34 PM, kendo said:

I just noticed that forum member spudkopf has created authentic (swastika) skins for 4 of the 5 Bodenplatte aircraft. (Hopefully the 109 g14 will follow soon).

The skins have to be downloaded individually, and so will need some time to put into the correct game folders. (I'm using JSGME and have organised them in the correct file structure to make it easy to switch them in/out, suggest that is best way)

I downloaded the skins for the FW190A8 and I saved in the indicated folder (\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\graphics\skins\FW190A8\ but I couldn't see them in the game. Then I put all of them in a folder inside the MODS folder and activated them by JSGME, no joy again. What am I doing wrong?

With the change to BP being 4K skins I can't see me trying to add them.  It's best to add the skins with Hakenkreuz as Kendo suggests.  They can be added into the file structure laid out for other skin Mods the use JSGME.

35 minutes ago, EG14_Marcast said:

I downloaded the skins for the FW190A8 and I saved in the indicated folder (\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\graphics\skins\FW190A8\ but I couldn't see them in the game. Then I put all of them in a folder inside the MODS folder and activated them by JSGME, no joy again. What am I doing wrong?

Try this path and file name:

Drive:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\planes\Fw190A8\textures\Fw190A8.dds

1 hour ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Try this path and file name:

Drive:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\planes\Fw190A8\textures\Fw190A8.dds

No way, both in this structure and in the skins folder 

Works just like all the others.  The following is my path structure for non-Steam version.

JSGME MOD Path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\4k Default Skin Replacements for BoBP\data\graphics\Planes\fw190a8\textures\fw190a8.dds

Note:  MODS\4k Default Skin Replacements for BoBP is the file folder path I use for JSGME for BP skins.  Yours may differ.

Path in game folder after activated by JSGME:

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\Planes\Fw190A8\Textures\fw190a8.dds

Make sure to check Enable Mods in the Game settings.

EDIT:  The above is ONLY for the Default skin.  Others, e.g.  fw190a8_skin_01.dds, go in the "...\data\graphics\skins\Fw190A8\..." folder:

hi, thanks for this great mod!!!

I have a question...after installing it and the 4k mod+4k normal maps (in this order), I noticed that the 4k skins lost the self reflections...the non-4k are working correctly. Any idea whats the reason and if there is any way to fix it?

thanks!!

Any tips for uninstalling? I don't have backups of the original files and I'm not sure how to get them to download again.

I'm not that keen on the 'Hakenkreuz' and it actually impacts my enjoyment when I'm flying German aircraft... reminds me of too many things...

Edited by Avimimus

12 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Install normal maps first and problem solved.

It doesnt work...as soon as I install the historically correct skins pack and/or the 4k skin pack the reflections are gone. The 4k normal map pack works fine.

thanks!

3 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Hi Watermanpc, it does work for me. I got a nice shine on my birds. So I have no solution. I am using jgme to add the skins. You?

Just to clarify...when you say "shine" you mean specular effect or actual self reflections of the own aircraft?...I mean, I get a shiny look, but it lacks the self reflections...

Im talking about these reflections:

1561995926-il2.jpg

They are gone as soon as I install the historically correct skins pack and/or the 4k skin pack. I checked the files to try to figure out why but couldnt find an answer.

Yeah, I use JSGME...

Don’t remember seeing reflections but then I haven’t been looking for it either. It might also be that the skin author toned down the shine/reflections. I do remember that several people considered the standerd shine as to much. Have you searched the threat for it?

5 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Don’t remember seeing reflections but then I haven’t been looking for it either. It might also be that the skin author toned down the shine/reflections. I do remember that several people considered the standerd shine as to much. Have you searched the threat for it?

Nope, had no idea there was a thread about that...could you please link to it? I cant find anything!

Sorry, I mean this thread were in now.

Did a search for you but no joy. Mayby try the skin forum. I remember reading about it but not where. 

Edited by [Pb]RedeyeStorm

Watermanpc,

I am currently fying a p39 campaign and I checked the skins. The default 4k skin (of the mod) is definitely duller in tone then the standard 2k skins that come with the game. You can clearly observe this by switching between skins.

yeah, looks like it has something to do with the alpha channels...I will try to take a look as soon as I can.

I'm having trouble getting any of these mods to show up in my game.

Part of the problem is that I'm using Steam, part of the problem is that I'm not very comfortable with JSGME, and part of the problem is that I don't know the game very well.

I suspect that I'm putting everything in the wrong place, and/or Steam is just ignoring it (which doesn't seem possible).

I'm installing JSGME inside one of my Steam IL 2 folders.  My last attempt was to put it in the bin/game folder (which means that that is where the MODS folder got created), but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Am I missing a critical last step to activate the mod? 

I tried just dumpting the non-JSGME contents of the mod into the IL 2 folder ( aka manual install) but that didn't seem to have any effect either.

Do the mods only show up in certain kinds of campaigns or missions?  Every time I installed something I looked inside a quick mission to see if anything had changed.

[NOTE:  I've just figured out that I'm not going crazy. All of my mod installations worked, I just hadn't gone into Settings and put a check mark next to MODS ENABLED].

Edited by Philippe_at_bay

Now that I've finally figured out how to make mods actually show up in game,  I have a minor suggestion for a very small addition to these impressive bodies of work.

It would be very helpful as well as more immersive if the banner for choosing the German side in careers didn't use that peculiar bowdlerized symbol the developers seem so fond of.

One possibility would be to use a Reichskriegflagge in banner format.  

But another possibility would be to use air force emblems for both sides.  

They would be easy to tell apart because the Luftwaffed banner would be an eagle on a light blue field.

6 hours ago, Philippe_at_bay said:

Now that I've finally figured out how to make mods actually show up in game,  I have a minor suggestion for a very small addition to these impressive bodies of work.

It would be very helpful as well as more immersive if the banner for choosing the German side in careers didn't use that peculiar bowdlerized symbol the developers seem so fond of.

They would be easy to tell apart because the Luftwaffed banner would be an eagle on a light blue field.

I think I know how to replace those images, but so far I have not been able to locate any legitimate/authentic images of representative Luftwaffe-related flags or emblems that don't include one or more swastikas.  Unfortunately, the Germans of that period seem to have been very enamored of that symbol and slapped it on just about everything.  I don't have a problem with making a mod to put it on the planes to make them look historically appropriate in-game, but I'm not that crazy about adding them to the menu screens.

I'm thinking maybe just images using the Balkenkreuz and the red star emblems, that would be easily recognizable yet uncontroversial - I'll take a stab at it later tonight and see what I can come up with.

[EDIT] Well, first effort failed - I found what appears to be the image files being used, but replacing them had no effect in-game on first try - will give it another shot later tonight if I can.

[EDIT] Another failure - found the files in two places and replaced them both, but again had no effect.  Out of time and ideas at this point.  Been a while since I unpacked all the .gtp files - maybe I'll have to do that again and see if maybe they've changed locations or something.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

A simple Balkenkreuz on a plain grey background and something comparable involving a red star is probably the best solution, if you can figure out how to make the altered files show up in-game.  I was never a big fan of the wrinkled fabric look (even though I've made more than my fair share of flag mods using semi-transparent bedsheets).

Friends and simmers, please move your game folder out of the "C\Program files" folder! It will spare you a lot of "it´s not working" or "not showing" problems as M$ has made that particular folder "safe"! Anywhere else on your HDD(s) will make adding stuff a lot easier! It´s a simple drag and drop action.

32 minutes ago, FlyingH said:

Friends and simmers, please move your game folder out of the "C\Program files" folder! It will spare you a lot of "it´s not working" or "not showing" problems as M$ has made that particular folder "safe"! Anywhere else on your HDD(s) will make adding stuff a lot easier! It´s a simple drag and drop action.

Good tip in general, but that's not the problem here (nor is having mods off in settings, though that did bite me the first time I tried it before I posted my first results).  I'll try unpacking all the latest version's .gtp files later tonight if I get a chance - not sure how old the ones I was using last night were but I'm sure they were from several versions ago back when mods on was first released, so hopefully that's the problem as that will be an easy fix.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:30 AM, Philippe_at_bay said:

Is this what your after, Historical Flag - Hakenkreuz present. 

Spoiler

Thanks FurphyForum.  Yes, that is along the lines of what I was originally suggesting.

However, having thought about TG-55Panthercules's comment, I have to say that I agree with him.  I make a lot of flag mods for different games and different historical  periods, and I'm sick and tired of watching my girlfriend cringe whenever I've loaded a German one from WW II into Photoshop.  Another  reason for being fond of the Great War. 

Having given it more thought, I think a nice effect that would also be historically correct would be to show the red star and balkenkreuz mounted on the fuselage or wing with a bit of the slightly worn panel showing underneath.

But all of this is moot if there's no way to get the new images to show up in the place of the selection flags.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:24 PM, Philippe_at_bay said:

Thanks FurphyForum.  Yes, that is along the lines of what I was originally suggesting.

However, having thought about TG-55Panthercules's comment, I have to say that I agree with him.  I make a lot of flag mods for different games and different historical  periods, and I'm sick and tired of watching my girlfriend cringe whenever I've loaded a German one from WW II into Photoshop.  Another  reason for being fond of the Great War. 

Having given it more thought, I think a nice effect that would also be historically correct would be to show the red star and balkenkreuz mounted on the fuselage or wing with a bit of the slightly worn panel showing underneath.

But all of this is moot if there's no way to get the new images to show up in the place of the selection flags.

Got it done - problem was just that I was initially working with the first set of .gtp files I unpacked way back, and the file names/locations have changed since then.

I've attached a JSGME-ready mod package and a picture of what the new career choice screen looks like with this little mod.  You can look at the file structure of the mod to determine where to put the new images if you'd prefer to create your own mod with a different set of national indicators.

Enjoy!

IL-2 GB Career Choice mod screenshot.jpg

IL-2 GB Alternate Career Side Designators for JSGME.zip

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much TG-55Panthercules for your work on that.

I made a few minor adjustments to your mod and came up with this:

YVyOqNE.jpg

When I've had some coffee I'll try to come up with a good way to share this in case anybody else wants to use it.

[Given my lack of familiarity with the JSGME and IL-2 programs, the safest thing to do is probably to replace the four DDS files in TG55-Panthercules's mod with modified versions of them.  All kudos to him, because it would have taken me months to figure out how to do this on my own].

IL-2 GB Alternate Career Side Designators for JSGME Pab version 1.0.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the latest update (July 25) I can't see anymore the swastika on any german plane. I tried to deactivate and reactivate the mods with Generic Mod Enabler but no way. Everything was working fine before the update 😢

2 hours ago, EG14_Marcast said:

After the latest update (July 25) I can't see anymore the swastika on any german plane. I tried to deactivate and reactivate the mods with Generic Mod Enabler but no way. Everything was working fine before the update 😢

Did you check to be sure you still have "mods on" checked?  Sometimes the updates default things back to mods off.

12 hours ago, TG-55Panthercules said:

Did you check to be sure you still have "mods on" checked?  Sometimes the updates default things back to mods off.

That was exactly the solution, I didn't check it. Thank you!

On 3/30/2018 at 6:44 AM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

4K Default and White Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack and 4K Normalmap pack - UPDATED 27 June 18

First of all I would like to thank  Mitthrawnuruodo and TG-55Panthercules for the historical markings mod for all German aircraft.  It was their work that inspired me.  I have been a fan of 4K skins since they came out so I thought I would attempt to put something together to share.  You do not need a 4K monitor to see the benefit of a 4K skin.  I hope you enjoy it.  If you came across this post directly I would first recommend installing the 2K Historically Correct German Official skins mod found here:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/

This pack includes only the 4K Default and White skins (summer and winter unnumbered) and not all Official skins.  Both German and Soviet skins are included and all German aircraft have hakenkreuz.  Starting with game version 3.002 it recognizes which skin to use based on whether the map is a summer or winter map.  These packs also include the thumbnails for the skins which show when choosing a skin.  To get the most out of 4K skins you need the 4K Normalmaps for which I have also created a pack in case you don’t have them.  Links are below.  The zipped files should be uncompressed and placed in the MODS folder of JSGME.  Mod packs should be activated using JSGME.  REMEMBER to enable mods in the game and also check "Use 4K Textures" in the graphics settings.  These mods will only work in MP if the server allows mods.  The mods work in all single player content.

I have done a good amount of testing to make sure things show up where they should but hey…  If you do come across something that needs a fix, let me know.

These mods can be used separately or in tandem with the Historically Correct German Official Skins for BOM-BOS-BOK mod pack.  If used with it, make sure to activate their mod first, then activate these mods which will overwrite portions of theirs.  You will receive a warning from JSGME.  Just click “YES” to continue.  This is non-destructive to their original mod if this one is deactivated.  If the mods are activated in the other order you will not see this mod.  When deactivating mods where one has overwritten another always deactivate the last mod first.  The 4K Normalmap pack can be activated in any sequence but I would suggest activating it before this mod.  This mod will not affect any Custom skins you have installed.

All skins were produced by me.  I have done my best to make the 4K default and white skins as close a match to the 2K defaults however you have to remember that a different group of people did the 4K templates.  If there are differences, the skins are still based on historical colors and camo.  This mod pack would not be possible without the hard work of the 4K template builders.  A big thanks to ICDP, BlackHellHound1, 6./ZG26_5tuka, III/JG2Gustav05, A-E-Hartmann, 8./SG1_SPEKTRE7, RaFiGer, Zargos, Pluton and Boomerang.  Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone.

Should you find you do not care for certain skins, etc., deactivate the mod, delete or replace them and reactivate the mod.  The mod default skins reside in the data\graphics\Planes\**plane name**\Textures folders.  The modded Official skins reside elsewhere.  If you replace them make sure they have the same name or they will not show. 

These mod packs do not include the 4K default/white skins for the following Great Battlke aircraft:
Kuban:

HS-129 B2
Yak-7b s36 (template now available)

Bodenplatte:

Spitfire Mk.IX

Cheers!

Link to 4K Default Skin Replacements for BoS, BoM, BoK (324MB)  Updated 30 April 18:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/10t1md31jh2uve2/4K_Default_Skin_Replacements_for_BoM-BoS-BoK.7z

Link to 4K White Skin Replacements for BoS, BoM, BoK (307MB) Updated 30 April 18:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eu5ldcjdfrdkwb8/4K_White_Skin_Replacements_for_BoM-BoS-BoK.7z

Link to 4K Default Skin Replacements for BoBP (11MB) includes Normalmaps Updated 27 June 18:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6gv3a9um79f2kqw/4k_Default_Skin_Replacements_for_BoBP.7z/file

Link to 4K Default Optional skin mod pack (106MB)  Updated 1 May 18:

This is a pack of 4K Default (summer) skins that are optional.  It is intended to be used in conjunction with the 4k Default skin mod.  This mod will overwrite certain skins that exist in the 4K Default Skin mod.  Details:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/?do=findComment&comment=612821

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8a7angv3332u9pj/4K_Default_Optional_Skins-activate_after_4K_Default_mod.7z

Link to 4K Normalmap pack (100MB) for BoS, BoM, BoK. Updated 30 April 18:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wq65s8qhb3aeg59/4K_Normalmaps.7z

Link to JSGME:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml

when i try to add both the default and white skin replacements via jsgme, i get a warning it's going to overwrite a russian skin and a skin named "default". I'm not seeing the in game default skin look any different on winter or non winter maps....

On 10/3/2019 at 12:59 PM, thenorm said:

@spudkopf Has anyone taken your updated bodenplatte skins and made them into a cohesive replacement mod, or must each user do that manually for themselves?

I just make them historic as that's the way I like them, and seeing that I've gone to the trouble for myself, I just choose to share them for those who are like minded, however if anyone wants to utilise them in a cohesive replacement mod, then by all means feel free to do so, it might however be nice to get a credit if such a thing was to happen.

FYI I will be extracting the non-historic skins from the the newly replaced patch and historifying them soon, stay tuned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3