TG-55Panthercules

[MOD] Historically Correct Official Skins (2K and 4K)

@Modders

I have a question about usage of the Normal Maps, as I generate special ones for my paint schemes because of addition in panellining, riveting and accessories I would like to ask if it is possible to build a mod that is able to switch between Normal Maps?

So, I think about having for example Bf109g6_B-01, Bf109g6_B-02 or in similar way. With the help of Bump Mapping it is possible to archive nice effects, e.g the special armour plates on Fw-190 Stormbirds which I use for such kind of skins.

Fw-190-A6-St1-T02.thumb.jpg.b3e7511c15c2f213da0cb1723c30bdc5.jpg

Are these Connections between 3D-Model and Normal Map hardcoded or could that be changed?

Thank you for your help :)

Edited by RaFiGer

1 hour ago, RaFiGer said:

@Modders

I have a question about usage of the Normal Maps, as I generate special ones for my paint schemes because of addition in panellining, riveting and accessories I would like to ask if it is possible to build a mod that is able to switch between Normal Maps?

So, I think about having for example Bf109g6_B-01, Bf109g6_B-02 or in similar way. With the help of Bump Mapping it is possible to archive nice effects, e.g the special armour plates on Fw-190 Stormbirds which I use for such kind of skins.

Fw-190-A6-St1-T02.thumb.jpg.b3e7511c15c2f213da0cb1723c30bdc5.jpg

Are these Connections between 3D-Model and Normal Map hardcoded or could that be changed?

Thank you for your help :)

Rafi

Since the normal maps are already accessible it should just be a case of enabling the map you want with the skins you want - as long as the route you choose includes both the folders "planes" and "Skins" and their sub folders you can swap in and out using JSGME or OvGME. 

So, this would be a folder structure for putting in a custom A20 skin and normal map.

Data

I

Graphics

I

Planes -----------------------  Skins

I                                         I 

Textures                         A20 (for instance)

I

A20 (for instance)

So say I normal used the ingame 2K 109F4 skins but today I want a BHH special. I just enable my mod "BHH 109F4" and it will put his normal map matching his skins (and any made with his template) into the correct folder for me to use as well as the skins I can use for them (so I cant pick a custom skin designed for the wrong normal map).

You could extend all this to the default skins I guess to.

Edited by BOO
  • Upvote 1

@BOO

thanks for the explanation of your idea!
It sound actually easy, I'm not used to modding but that could be the way.

I will try to get some result ;)

@BOO

That's it, deal, perfect :)

It is working pretty good, even direct with the Viewer!!!

So, I made up a "MOD" with contents are the User made Normal Maps, including my own and from BHH1 and 6./Z26_5tuka & a separate one including only the Texture for the Stormbirds.

Voila, pretty nice switching :)

But anyway, in regards to the Stormbirds, they feature at least two ways to apply the 5 mm additional armour, so it would be nice to have a skin plus the "personal" Normal Map through a MOD available. Maybe there is a chance?

I have completed all the 4K White skins to match the aircraft in my 4K default skin mod.  Need to do the thumbnails to finish it up.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4K White Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK

The 4K White Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack is completed and a download link is available in my previous post (see link below).  This contains the White skins (winter, unnumbered) for all aircraft (Axis and Soviet) that have 4K templates.  All German aircraft have the hakenkreuz.  This mod pack replaces 2K White skins with 4K White skins in addition to the other 4K Default skins from my other mod.  This mod does not replace Default skins with White skins for winter maps.  It therefore does not need to be deactivated when playing summer maps.  Activate it and leave it.

To reiterate from my previous post, I have done my best to make the 4K White skins as close a match to the 2K White skins however you have to remember that a different group of people did the 4K templates.  If there are differences, the skins are still based on historical colors and camo.  This mod pack would not be possible without the hard work of the 4K template builders.  Another big thanks to ICDP, BlackHellHound1, 6./ZG26_5tuka, III/JG2Gustav05, A-E-Hartmann, 8./SG1_SPEKTRE7 and Boomerang.  Again, hopefully I didn’t miss anyone.

In addition, the 4K Default Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack has been updated to include the Bf-110G2 and also a fix to the MiG-3.  The 4K Normalmaps pack has been updated to also include the Bf110G2.

I would strongly suggest installing any mods with JSGME.

Hope you enjoy them.  If you run into any issues, let me know.

Cheers!

All the links for the downloads will be located in the linked post below.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/?do=findComment&comment=597695

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

4K White Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK

The 4K White Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack is completed and a download link is available in my previous post (see link below).  This contains the White skins (winter, unnumbered) for all aircraft (Axis and Soviet) that have 4K templates.  All German aircraft have the hakenkreuz.  This mod pack replaces 2K White skins with 4K White skins in addition to the other 4K Default skins from my other mod.  This mod does not replace Default skins with White skins for winter maps.  It therefore does not need to be deactivated when playing summer maps.  Activate it and leave it.

To reiterate from my previous post, I have done my best to make the 4K White skins as close a match to the 2K White skins however you have to remember that a different group of people did the 4K templates.  If there are differences, the skins are still based on historical colors and camo.  This mod pack would not be possible without the hard work of the 4K template builders.  Another big thanks to ICDP, BlackHellHound1, 6./ZG26_5tuka, III/JG2Gustav05, A-E-Hartmann, 8./SG1_SPEKTRE7 and Boomerang.  Again, hopefully I didn’t miss anyone.

In addition, the 4K Default Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack has been updated to include the Bf-110G2 and also a fix to the MiG-3.  The 4K Normalmaps pack has been updated to also include the Bf110G2.

I would strongly suggest installing any mods with JSGME.

Hope you enjoy them.  If you run into any issues, let me know.

Cheers!

All the links for the downloads will be located in the linked post below (click on the arrow in the right hand corner).

HI Stick - thank you for all the hard work you've put in!

Just an ask - could you possibly list whos normal maps/templates have bee used for what (actually you could say all ICDP except for,,) - id find this useful in cases where there are differing templates such as for the P40 as I could also extend the pack to include a number of custom skins that I could activate at the same time. 

8 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

Something like this ...?

sMAKZxctAA7hSRiyz0nz04T6bUpwLThu1tmbThK3

Insomuch as using a GME yes - What I meant was I could have a "standard set" of 4ks based on Sticks work but added to with 4K additions that match or replace the other dev skins (so not the unsighted custom ones) as per the Historic Markings mod. . That would use a set of normal maps that partnered the skins.

But if I then decided I wanted to use say a P40 skin set that was made using A-E Hartman's template I could choose to activate another mod that would temporarily overwrite the ICDP template based skins. Then when I wanted to swap back, I just deactivate both mods and reactivate the standard set. 

Knowing whos template was used would help me a) chose with additional skins I add and b) who version (and more importantly skin selection) I what to use in the standard version. 

4 hours ago, BOO said:

HI Stick - thank you for all the hard work you've put in!

Just an ask - could you possibly list whos normal maps/templates have bee used for what (actually you could say all ICDP except for,,) - id find this useful in cases where there are differing templates such as for the P40 as I could also extend the pack to include a number of custom skins that I could activate at the same time. 

I think it would be easier to go at it from the other end.  There can't be that many templates that have duplicates for the same aircraft.  If you could make a list of those that do have duplicates,  I'll gladly tell you which of those templates I used.

**Update at 4 Apr 18 2200 EDT  (5 Apr 18 0200 UTC)**

I had to replace the 4K White mod this evening due to overlooking to include a reworked Ju-87 skin.  Sorry about that.

Cheers!

Stick-95, little thing I noticed on the G2 generic summer skin in your pack (may be on the others, not looked) the heavier chipping in the "Nur hier Betreten" area is on the right wing rather than the left, which seems odd as that is the side that the canopy opens toward, rather than the side that the pilot would get in and out on. (pedantic I know, but as a modeler and air museum archive assistant, it's the sort of thing I look out for :P )

7 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I think it would be easier to go at it from the other end.  There can't be that many templates that have duplicates for the same aircraft.  If you could make a list of those that do have duplicates,  I'll gladly tell you which of those templates I used.

Hello Stick -these are the 4K Templates I can fids in existence

Bf109E7         ICDP and A-E Hartman

Bf109F2         BHH

Bf109F4         BHH

Bf109G2        Boomerang

Bf109G4        RaFiGER (in works)

Bf109G6        RaFiGER 

Bf110E2         ICDP   (and Specktre but not completed to date)

Bf110G2         ICDP   (and Specktre but not completed to date)

Fw190A3       ICDP

Fw190A5       ICDP

Ju52               5tuka

Ju87D3          5tuka

JU88 A4        Gustav05 (no normal map, some upscaling of layers)

He111H6      ICDP and A-E Hartman 

He111H16    ICDP

Hs129

Mc202           ICDP

A20B             777

I16                 ICDP

IL2 41            ICDP

IL2 42            ICDP

Il2 43             BHH

La5 S8           ICDP

La5 FN

LaGG 3         ICDP   and IRRE Storfyr (not pinned but completed)

Mig 3             ICDP

P39              (In progress  UF Zargos)

P40               ICDP and A-E Hartman

Pe2 35         ICDP 

Pe2 87         ICDP

Spitfire          ICDP

Yak 1 s69    Pluton (not pinned but completed)

Yak 1b s127      ICDP

Yak 7b

Cheers

BOO

Edited by BOO

8 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

**Update at 4 Apr 18 2200 EDT  (5 Apr 18 0200 UTC)**

I had to replace the 4K White mod this evening due to overlooking to include a reworked Ju-87 skin.  Sorry about that.

Cheers!

Where is the link? :) I can't find it.

5 hours ago, BOO said:

Hello Stick -these are the 4K Templates I can fids in existence

*snip*

Of those aircraft which have more than one template I used ICDP's.  They are:

Bf109E7
He111H6
LaGG3
P40E1

42 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I simply updated the download link in my main post.

Roger! Thanks a lot! Love your 4k!!!!!! :lol:

8 hours ago, thenorm said:

Stick-95, little thing I noticed on the G2 generic summer skin in your pack (may be on the others, not looked) the heavier chipping in the "Nur hier Betreten" area is on the right wing rather than the left, which seems odd as that is the side that the canopy opens toward, rather than the side that the pilot would get in and out on. (pedantic I know, but as a modeler and air museum archive assistant, it's the sort of thing I look out for :P )

I appreciate your comment and your eye for accuracy.  For good or bad, especially for the Axis aircraft, I had  to rely on the template builder for accuracy of the paint and weathering.  I made a few adjustments to the alpha channels to control gloss.  To rework each individual skin for such details was simply beyond the scope of this mod.  As  an example, the Ju87 template did not include a winter camo layer.  I created one from another layer but decided it needed work.  Four hours later it was complete and that's just one layer to one aircraft.  Then I initially forgot to add it to the mod!! :wacko:

2 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I appreciate your comment and your eye for accuracy.  For good or bad, especially for the Axis aircraft, I had  to rely on the template builder for accuracy of the paint and weathering.  I made a few adjustments to the alpha channels to control gloss.  To rework each individual skin for such details was simply beyond the scope of this mod.  As  an example, the Ju87 template did not include a winter camo layer.  I created one from another layer but decided it needed work.  Four hours later it was complete and that's just one layer to one aircraft.  Then I initially forgot to add it to the mod!! :wacko:

Thanks a lot!!!

community-service-medals-11.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

You know, I think I can now appreciate about 1% of what Jason must go through when he releases something.  :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

You know, I think I can now appreciate about 1% of what Jason must go through when he releases something.  :)

DDQWalr-c6QA1fB0AShmex5NYTHcLh6Eg5SN5DFH

A bit more personalized! :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Tried it. Excellent work, guys. Now I can shoot down the enemy in their authentic skins- When they`re not shooting me down. :biggrin:

I have completed the following for the 4K default and white skin mod:

New:

P-39L1

Bf-109G6

Updated due to errors found, misc. changes and to decrease high gloss:

Ju-87D3

Bf-109F2

Bf-109F4

FW-190A3

FW-190A5

I will be working on the Bf-109G4 next.

When it's all completed I will upload the revised mods.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4K Default and White skin mods and Normalmap pack - Updated 12 April

The following skins have been added:

P-39L1

Bf-109G4

Bf-109G6

The following skins have been updated due to errors found, changes to weathering, and to decrease high gloss:

Ju-87D3

Bf-109F2

Bf-109F4

Bf-109G2

FW-190A3

FW-190A5

The additional 4K normalmaps have also been included.  In addition there is a 4K La-5s8 Official skin replacement for Valery Chkalov (White 84) within the Default mod.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Cheers!

Please go to this post for the new download links:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/?do=findComment&comment=597695

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

4K Default and White skin mods and Normalmap pack - Updated 12 April

The following skins have been added:

P-39L1

Bf-109G4

Bf-109G6

The following skins have been updated due to errors found, changes to weathering, and to decrease high gloss:

Ju-87D3

Bf-109F2

Bf-109F4

Bf-109G2

FW-190A3

FW-190A5

The additional 4K normalmaps have also been included.  In addition there is a 4K La-5s8 Official skin replacement for Valery Chkalov (White 84) within the Default mod.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Cheers!

Please go to this post for the new download links:

I think somebody wants to be awarded another medal ... :rofl:

Thanks soooooo much! really a magnificent job!

It is hard to go down of 4k now.

Edited by PA_Spartan-

EDIT:  POST OUTDATED.

It seems that in the rush to fix the problem mentioned above, I didn't.  I thought instead of zipping another large file to download again for only one plane (Pe2s87 summer), it might be easier to deal with a simple copy and paste at your end.  If you don't want to bother with this, or you don't use this aircraft,  you can wait until the next update.  Anyone who doesn't change this will see the 2K default skin.  Below is a link for the one skin.  Download the file which is set to go, not zipped.  Paste it into the folder indicated and reactivate the mod.

1. Download link 21MB:

2. Deactivate the 4K Default mod.  Remember, if the White mod was activated after the Default mod, deactivate both.

3. Paste the file into the folder below:
1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\4K Default Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK\data\graphics\Planes\Pe2s87\Textures

4. Reactivate the 4K default mod.

It should now show up.  New templates are in the works so an update won't be too far off after release.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:44 AM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

4K Default and White Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack and 4K Normalmap pack - UPDATED 12 April 18

First of all I would like to thank  Mitthrawnuruodo and TG-55Panthercules for the historical markings mod for all German aircraft.  It was their work that inspired me.  I have been a fan of 4K skins since they came out so I thought I would attempt to put something together to share.  You do not need a 4K monitor to see the benefit of a 4K skin.  I hope you enjoy it.

This pack includes only the 4K Default and White skins (summer and winter unnumbered) and not all Official skins.  Both German and Soviet skins are included and all German aircraft have hakenkreuz.  These packs also includes the thumbnails for the skins which show when choosing a skin.  To get the most out of 4K skins you need the 4K Normalmaps for which I have also created a pack in case you don’t have them.  Links to both are below.  The zipped files should be uncompressed and placed in the MODS folder.  Both packs should be activated using JSGME.  REMEMBER to enable mods in the game.  Any mod will only work in MP if the server allows it. 

I have done a good amount of testing to make sure things show up where they should but hey…  If you do come across something that needs a fix, let me know.

These mods can be used separately or in tandem with the Historically Correct German Official Skins for BOM-BOS-BOK mod pack.  If used with it, make sure to activate their mod first, then activate these mods which will overwrite portions of theirs.  You will receive a warning from JSGME.  Just click “YES” to continue.  This is non-destructive to their original mod if this one is deactivated.  If the mods are activated in the other order you will not see this mod.  When deactivating mods where one has overwritten another always deactivate the last mod first.  The 4K Normalmap pack can be activated in any sequence but I would suggest activating it before this mod.  This mod will not affect any Custom skins you have installed.

I have done my best to make the 4K default and white skins as close a match to the 2K defaults however you have to remember that a different group of people did the 4K templates.  If there are differences, the skins are still based on historical colors and camo.  This mod pack would not be possible without the hard work of the 4K template builders.  A big thanks to ICDP, BlackHellHound1, 6./ZG26_5tuka, III/JG2Gustav05, A-E-Hartmann, 8./SG1_SPEKTRE7, RaFiGer, Pluton and Boomerang.  Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone.

Should you find you do not care for certain skins, etc., deactivate the mod, delete or replace them and reactivate the mod.  The mod default skins reside in the data\graphics\Planes\**plane name**\Textures folders.  The modded Official skins reside elsewhere.  If you replace them make sure they have the same name or they will not show.  FYI, in these texture folders there are “Optional” default files for some aircraft, mostly VVS.  If you wish to try them just rename the original and change the name on the optional file then reactivate.

This mod pack does not include the 4K default skins for the following Kuban aircraft as 4K templates are not yet available:
Bf-109 G4  (now included)
Bf-109 G6  (now included)
Bf-110 G2  (now included)
HS-129 B2
La-5FN s2
P-39 L1  (now included)
Yak-7b s36

Cheers!

EDIT:  10 Apr 18, I am currently working to add new skins as well as update older ones.

Link to 4K Default skin mod pack (361MB)  Updated 12 April 18 (Hotfix at 1825 EDT):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mbmufgqso6j9ufv/4K_Default_Skin_Replacements_for_BoM-BoS-BoK.7z

Note:  There was an issue with one skin.  Please see the following post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/?do=findComment&comment=604575

Link to 4K White skin mod pack (307MB) Updated 12 April 18:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c299m9ntn502syt/4K_White_Skin_Replacements_for_BoM-BoS-BoK.7z

Link to 4K Normalmap pack (94MB) Updated 12 April 18:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/goglicojfnxchm1/4K_Normalmaps.7z

Link to JSGME:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml

Wonderful work guys! I wonder why people said the historically accurates couldn't be done.

However, I am having an error when activating all 3 at the same time. I'm being told that  it may have 'Adverse effects'.

I think few may not be displaying the henkkerssmikeldoodadthingy that we dare not speak of.

Screenshot (15).png

9 hours ago, Fang333333 said:

Wonderful work guys! I wonder why people said the historically accurates couldn't be done.

However, I am having an error when activating all 3 at the same time. I'm being told that  it may have 'Adverse effects'.

I think few may not be displaying the henkkerssmikeldoodadthingy that we dare not speak of.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
I was incorrect

Fang333333, You should activate both the 4K Default  and White mods.  See below. 

As the mod post states:

These mods can be used separately or in tandem with the Historically Correct German Official Skins for BOM-BOS-BOK mod pack.  If used with it, make sure to activate their mod first, then activate these mods which will overwrite portions of theirs.  You will receive a warning from JSGME.  Just click “YES” to continue.  This is non-destructive to their original mod if this one is deactivated.  If the mods are activated in the other order you will not see this mod.  When deactivating mods where one has overwritten another always deactivate the last mod first. 

FYI the 4K White mod does not replace the Default skins in winter missions.  It should therefore be active at all times.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

"4K Normalmap" should be enabled always.   

What is the functionality of this one? :rolleyes:

A normalmap is a base layer underneath the 4K skin.  One of the things It controls is the texturing that will show in the skin.  The ones that come with the game are 2K to match the game 2K skins.  4K skins will work with these 2K normalmaps but the 4K skins will lose some of their detail. 

Let's look at the size difference of 2K vs 4K.  2K=2048 X 2048 pixels=~4.2M pixels.  4K=409X 4096 pixels=~16.8M pixels.  The density of pixels of 4K is 4 times higher than 2K (a 300% increase).  Both 2K and 4K are displayed over the same area available thus increasing the resolution.

When I use a 4K skin on a 2K normalmap I see it mainly as the appearance of small squares in the paint.  These disappear when using a 4K normalmap.  I have not experienced any issue using a 2K skin with a 4K normalmap

4K skins in the mods that do not yet have a 4K normalmap I believe are limited to the Ju-88 and the P-39.

EDIT:  The P-39 4K normalmap is available and will be included in the next update.

57 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

A normalmap is a base layer underneath the 4K skin.  One of the things It controls is the texturing that will show in the skin.  The ones that come with the game are 2K to match the game 2K skins.  4K skins will work with these 2K normalmaps but the 4K skins will lose some of their detail. 

Let's look at the size difference of 2K vs 4K.  2K=2048 X 2048 pixels=~4.2M pixels.  4K=409X 4096 pixels=~16.8M pixels.  The density of pixels of 4K is 4 times higher than 2K (a 300% increase).  Both 2K and 4K are displayed over the same area available thus increasing the resolution.

When I use a 4K skin on a 2K normalmap I see it mainly as the appearance of small squares in the paint.  These disappear when using a 4K normalmap.  I have not experienced any issue using a 2K skin with a 4K normalmap

4K skins in the mods that do not yet have a 4K normalmap I believe are limited to the Ju-88 and the P-39.

EDIT:  The P-39 4K normalmap is available and will be included in the next update.

:) Thanks. I get it.

Edited by PA_Spartan-
  • Like 1

EDIT:  POST OUTDATED.

For some reason the P-39L1 4K Default skin is not showing properly.  The 4K White is OK.  I now have the 4K default working.  If you don't want to bother with the quick fix below, or you don't use this aircraft,  you can wait and it will be contained in the next update.  Anyone who doesn't change this will see the 2K default skin.  Below is a link for the one skin (21MB).  Download the file which is all set to go, no need to unzip.  Save it into the folder indicated and reactivate the mod.

1. Deactivate the 4K Default mod.  Remember, if the White mod was activated after the Default mod, deactivate both.

2. Download link.  Save the file to the folder indicated below*:

*Save the file into the folder below.  Say Yes when asked if you wish to overwrite the file:
1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\4K Default Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK\data\graphics\Planes\P39L1\Textures

3. Reactivate the 4K default mod (and white mod).

It should now show up.  I have no idea why this wasn't working as the file name, etc. was identical.

EDIT:  There will be a better version of the 4K P-39 in the future.

Below is a quote from the v3.002 update as it relates to Career.  I haven't tried it but I assume 4K White skins from my mod will now show on the Winter maps in Career mode.  This is a step in the right direction.

19. AI planes use correct paint scheme depending on the season (Summer or Winter);

On 4/18/2018 at 5:36 PM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Below is a quote from the v3.002 update as it relates to Career.  I haven't tried it but I assume 4K White skins from my mod will now show on the Winter maps in Career mode.  This is a step in the right direction.

Can confirm, it is working properly now. 

• Thanks 1

Zargos has published a 4K template for the La-5FN which I will turn around into a default for the mod.  In addition I'll add the newer P-39.

Any other issues I should attend to?

• Thanks 1