TG-55Panthercules

[MOD] Historically Correct Official Skins (2K and 4K)

2K Skin Package:

Mitthrawnuruodo and I have collaborated on creating one combined package that replaces all of the relevant "Official" skins for all of the BoM, BoS and BoK plane sets (including collector planes), including the normal "Default" skins, with versions using historically correct markings (i.e., swastikas).  This combined mod package replaces/supersedes the various initial packages posted in our previous threads, which should be uninstalled/deactivated.  This package also replaces the relevant menu and preview pictures for the affected skins.

The combined Mitthrawnuruodo/Panthercules mod package (2K skins) can be D/L'ed from the link below (the package is JSGME-ready so you can just unzip it into your MODS folder and use JSGME or some similar mod enabler to activate the mod):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/39kxamv4whj0ei9/Historically_Correct_German_Official_Skins_for_BoM-BoS-BoK.v2.zip

As noted above, these replacement skins and associated preview/menu pictures contain historically correct markings (swastikas) - if you do not want to see the historically correct markings, then do not download or use this mod in your game.

We have tested this package pretty throroughly, but there has not been time to check every plane in every possible loadout condition, so if you spot any problems with any of the modified skins/files please let me or Mitthrawnuruodo know.

I will be separately posting an updated mod package of substitute winter "Default" skins (also with historicallly correct markings where relevant) on which Mitthrawnuruodo and I also collaborated.

======================

4K Skin versions:

VBF-12_Stick-95 has created some similar mod packages using 4K skins, and has posted links and details about them in the thread below (see post #23 or so below).

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 20
  • Upvote 22

Thank you fellas!!!

one little question - do we keep the winter mod you did still? 

Edited by BOO

2 minutes ago, BOO said:

Thank you fellas!!!

one little question - do we keep the winter mod you did still? 

No - I will be posting an updated version of the winter default skins package (including both mine and Mitthrawnuruodo's skins) shortly - you should use the new winter package instead of the winter package I posted previously.

• Thanks 1

Wonderful work. I am really grateful for your efforts on this. This has been a really great benefit from the introduction of modding. 

Hi, fantastic work guys.

One little issue with the White Ju 87 D-3: 

Ju87D_skin_01.dds should be renamed to Ju87D3_skin_01.dds in order to display the correct historical skin.

I am working on a mod pack that dovetails with this one.  It consists of 4K skins for all default skins, German and VVS, which are summer skins.  It has the hakenkreuz on the German aircraft also and simply replaces the 2K default skins of this mod.  All of the skinning is done, I just need to try to create the thumbnails.  It may take another day or two to get it finished.  I have it activated on my pc and it works fine with the Historically Correct German Official Skins for BOM-BOS-BOK mod found here.  It must be activated after.

EDIT:  It will contain 4K default skins for all aircraft except the following for Kuban:
Bf-109 G4
Bf-109 G6
Bf-110 G2
HS-129 B2
La-5FN s2
P-39 L1
Yak-7b s36

EDIT:  This mod pack is now available below at this link:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/?do=findComment&comment=597695

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Great job guys! How do I use the mods though? Just unpack in the root folder?

Not quite. The key is that the mod directory structure must match the original Il-2 directory structure (contents of 'data' folder ends up in Il-2 'data' folder). You could just unpack it to the right folder, but there are better methods.

I recommend using a mod enabler such as JSGME or OvGME. Then, you can put all your mods in a mod folder in Il-2 root and the enabler will automatically put everything in the correct folders. It makes it much easier to update mods or resolve conflicts.

Nevertheless, the mod will work as long as its 'data' folder joins the Il-2 'data' folder and mods on option is enabled. How you manage it is a matter of personal preference. 

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Great work! It is so good to see all German aircraft with the correct markings. It isn't political, just historically proper. Just feels right!

Thanks so much. 

• Like 2

Very nice mod - maybe a small thing but now seems more authentic..

Is this just for the Axis aircraft, or does it also include the Soviet aircraft that have swastikas, like the A-20 with the Hitler noseart?

Edited by FFS_Cybermat47

19 minutes ago, FFS_Cybermat47 said:

Is this just for the Axis aircraft, or does it also include the Soviet aircraft that have swastikas, like the A-20 with the Hitler noseart?

Only Axis aircraft are included (I was not aware of this noseart). However, the intention is to fix all censored official skins. 

Therefore, reports of any incorrect symbols are appreciated. We'll probably release a patch to address things we've missed. 

Thxs Mitthrawnuruodo. I figured it out with the JSGME mod enabler. The problem was that I had forgotten to activate mods on in game :wacko:

Amazing job guys!

Thank you

18 hours ago, ROTER_BART said:

Hi, fantastic work guys.

One little issue with the White Ju 87 D-3: 

Ju87D_skin_01.dds should be renamed to Ju87D3_skin_01.dds in order to display the correct historical skin.

12 hours ago, FFS_Cybermat47 said:

I am in the process of uploading a revised version of the mod package that has both these fixes included, and I'll change the link in the first post accordingly when it's ready.  For those who have already D/L'ed the original package and don't want to bother to D/L the whole thing again, here's a little hot-fix package that you can use to fix/update your installation - it's JSGME-ready, so you can just unzip it into your MODS folder and activate it after you have activated the main package:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/rl1whunerjr85zx/Historically_Correct_Official_Skins_Hot-fix_1.zip  

Thanks for spotting these - if you find any more, please let us know.

[EDIT] OK - link in 1st post above has been updated to point to the revised v.2 package which has these changes included.  If you use the v.2 link at this point, you will not need the above hot fix package, and if you already had the original package and use the hot fix you will not need to re-download the whole package again.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Thanks 1

The 4K default skins mod is completed.  Just doing some testing to flesh out any issues.  Hope to release it shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Is this MP compatible by the way?

I'll wait for the 4K release I guess :) I'm tired of those ugly old 2K skins.

Thanks for the hard work guys I'm amazed by how fast you converted all that into 4K.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

3 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

Can you see the 4k skins in a HD monitor? I guess not, right? You can see 4k only in 4k resolution, right?

- 4K skins have nothing to with 4K monitors or resolution - Just a skin with denser pixels (a lot denser). So a 4K will look sharper even in HD. 

Edited by BOO
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BOO said:

- 4K skins have nothing to with 4K monitors or resolution - Just a skin with denser pixels (a lot denser). So a 4K will look sharper even in HD. 

In that case, that's really good news. :) thanks for the explanation, I was really puzzled about that.

• Like 1

You clearly see the difference from the inside of the cockpit, basically it's a whole lot more detailed.

4K Default and White Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack and 4K Normalmap pack - UPDATED 27 June 18

First of all I would like to thank  Mitthrawnuruodo and TG-55Panthercules for the historical markings mod for all German aircraft.  It was their work that inspired me.  I have been a fan of 4K skins since they came out so I thought I would attempt to put something together to share.  You do not need a 4K monitor to see the benefit of a 4K skin.  I hope you enjoy it.  If you came across this post directly I would first recommend installing the 2K Historically Correct German Official skins mod found here:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/

This pack includes only the 4K Default and White skins (summer and winter unnumbered) and not all Official skins.  Both German and Soviet skins are included and all German aircraft have hakenkreuz.  Starting with game version 3.002 it recognizes which skin to use based on whether the map is a summer or winter map.  These packs also include the thumbnails for the skins which show when choosing a skin.  To get the most out of 4K skins you need the 4K Normalmaps for which I have also created a pack in case you don’t have them.  Links are below.  The zipped files should be uncompressed and placed in the MODS folder of JSGME.  Mod packs should be activated using JSGME.  REMEMBER to enable mods in the game and also check "Use 4K Textures" in the graphics settings.  These mods will only work in MP if the server allows mods.  The mods work in all single player content.

I have done a good amount of testing to make sure things show up where they should but hey…  If you do come across something that needs a fix, let me know.

These mods can be used separately or in tandem with the Historically Correct German Official Skins for BOM-BOS-BOK mod pack.  If used with it, make sure to activate their mod first, then activate these mods which will overwrite portions of theirs.  You will receive a warning from JSGME.  Just click “YES” to continue.  This is non-destructive to their original mod if this one is deactivated.  If the mods are activated in the other order you will not see this mod.  When deactivating mods where one has overwritten another always deactivate the last mod first.  The 4K Normalmap pack can be activated in any sequence but I would suggest activating it before this mod.  This mod will not affect any Custom skins you have installed.

All skins were produced by me.  I have done my best to make the 4K default and white skins as close a match to the 2K defaults however you have to remember that a different group of people did the 4K templates.  If there are differences, the skins are still based on historical colors and camo.  This mod pack would not be possible without the hard work of the 4K template builders.  A big thanks to ICDP, BlackHellHound1, 6./ZG26_5tuka, III/JG2Gustav05, A-E-Hartmann, 8./SG1_SPEKTRE7, RaFiGer, Zargos, Pluton and Boomerang.  Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone.

Should you find you do not care for certain skins, etc., deactivate the mod, delete or replace them and reactivate the mod.  The mod default skins reside in the data\graphics\Planes\**plane name**\Textures folders.  The modded Official skins reside elsewhere.  If you replace them make sure they have the same name or they will not show. 

These mod packs do not include the 4K default/white skins for the following Great Battlke aircraft:
Kuban:

HS-129 B2
Yak-7b s36 (template now available)

Bodenplatte:

Spitfire Mk.IX

Cheers!

Link to 4K Default Skin Replacements for BoS, BoM, BoK (324MB)  Updated 30 April 18:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/10t1md31jh2uve2/4K_Default_Skin_Replacements_for_BoM-BoS-BoK.7z

Link to 4K White Skin Replacements for BoS, BoM, BoK (307MB) Updated 30 April 18:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eu5ldcjdfrdkwb8/4K_White_Skin_Replacements_for_BoM-BoS-BoK.7z

Link to 4K Default Skin Replacements for BoBP (11MB) includes Normalmaps Updated 27 June 18:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6gv3a9um79f2kqw/4k_Default_Skin_Replacements_for_BoBP.7z/file

Link to 4K Default Optional skin mod pack (106MB)  Updated 1 May 18:

This is a pack of 4K Default (summer) skins that are optional.  It is intended to be used in conjunction with the 4k Default skin mod.  This mod will overwrite certain skins that exist in the 4K Default Skin mod.  Details:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/?do=findComment&comment=612821

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8a7angv3332u9pj/4K_Default_Optional_Skins-activate_after_4K_Default_mod.7z

Link to 4K Normalmap pack (100MB) for BoS, BoM, BoK. Updated 30 April 18:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wq65s8qhb3aeg59/4K_Normalmaps.7z

Link to JSGME:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml

• Thanks 9
  • Upvote 7

Thank you Panther, Mitthrawnuruodo  and Stick!  If this works in Career, which I have read that it does, then you are all genius' !!!!!

While I respect that the historical markings are illegal in certain countries, I have always felt that 1C should just provide a setting

to allow the owner of BOX to select which version to use. After all, 99% of us here are adults and we should be trusted to make this

decision ourselves. Now if CLOD Blitz would do this I would be content. Thanks again guys, Great Work!!!

S!Blade<><

• Upvote 1

I'm contemplating making a separate mod pack for 4K White skins as well, for those aircraft that have them.  I may regret saying this but I don't think it would take too long.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

4K Default Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack and 4K Normalmap pack

First of all I would like to thank  Mitthrawnuruodo and TG-55Panthercules for the historical markings mod for all German aircraft.  It was their work that inspired me.  I have been a fan of 4K skins since they came out so I thought I would attempt to put something together to share.  I hope you enjoy it.

This pack includes only the 4K default skins (summer) and not all Official skins.  Both German and Soviet skins are included and all German aircraft have hakenkreuz.  This pack also includes the thumbnails for the skins which show when choosing a skin.  To get the most out of 4K skins you need the 4K Normalmaps for which I have also created a pack in case you don’t have them.  Links to both are below.  The zipped files should be uncompressed and placed in the MODS folder.  Both packs should be activated using JSGME.  REMEMBER to enable mods in the game. 

I have done a good amount of testing to make sure things show up where they should but hey…  If you do come across something that needs a fix, let me know.

This mod can be used separately or in tandem with the Historically Correct German Official Skins for BOM-BOS-BOK mod pack.  If used with it, make sure to activate their mod first, then activate this mod which will overwrite portions of theirs.  You will receive a warning from JSGME.  Just click “YES” to continue.  This is non-destructive to their original mod if this one is deactivated.  If the mods are activated in the other order you will not see this mod.  When deactivating mods where one has overwritten another always deactivate the last mod first.  The 4K Normalmap pack can be activated in any sequence but I would suggest activating it before this mod.  This mod will not affect any Custom skins you have installed.

I have done my best to make the 4K default skins as close a match to the 2K defaults however you have to remember that a different group of people did the 4K templates.  If there are differences, the skins are still based on historical colors and camo.  This mod pack would not be possible without the hard work of the 4K template builders.  A big thanks to ICDP, BlackHellHound1, 6./ZG26_5tuka, III/JG2Gustav05, A-E-Hartmann and 8./SG1_SPEKTRE7.  Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone.

Should you find you do not care for certain skins, etc., deactivate the mod, delete or replace them and reactivate the mod.  The mod default skins reside in the data\graphics\Planes\**plane name**\Textures folders.  The modded Official skins reside elsewhere.  If you replace them make sure they have the same name or they will not show.  FYI, in these texture folders there are “Optional” default files for some aircraft, mostly VVS.  If you wish to try them just rename the original and change the name on the optional file then reactivate.

This mod pack does not include the 4K default skins for the following Kuban aircraft as 4K templates are not yet available:
Bf-109 G4
Bf-109 G6
Bf-110 G2
HS-129 B2
La-5FN s2
P-39 L1
Yak-7b s36

Cheers!

Link to 4K default skin mod pack (361MB):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/utabdtmf5fww7m3/4K Default Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK.7z?dl=0

Link to 4K Normalmap pack (87MB):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ti0pmvubfigbsq/4K Normalmaps.7z?dl=0

Link to JSGME:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml

You should start a new thread or most people will miss the mod and download link. :) or posting the link in the first post in this thread ...and changing the title

Thanks a lot :) too valuable to be missed ;)

Edited by PA_Spartan-

14 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Thanks.  How to handle it is being discussed with TG-55Panthercules.

I've just tested them and they look great. Now, I finally can see the 4k difference, it's hard now to go back to the standard ones .... ;)

Edited by PA_Spartan-
  • Thanks 1

Mod 4k very expected. Thank you very much, the skins that I make the big malloria are in 4k and they differ from the 2k enough, in fact I think the white fw 190 a-3 paint it myself, thanks for including it.:soldier:
Thanks again to the creators of templates and Mods:good:
:salute:

Excellent work guys much appreciated. 

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

4K Default Skin Replacements for BoM-BoS-BoK mod pack and 4K Normalmap pack

Bf-109 G4
Bf-109 G6
Bf-110 G2
HS-129 B2
La-5FN s2
P-39 L1
Yak-7b s36