Bullets

Pimax 8k / 5k VR headsets coming to Kickstarter this month!

So just out of curiosity - folks have stated the Odyssey works just fine with say DCS.

Does it work, because of the manual IPD adjustment DCS added to the GUI, or would it have worked as it was set stock before using the adjustment?

Another thing I am curious about. The Vive Pro along with the Odyssey, have a little higher resolution in their HMD.  That is their selling points.

Now many of us, maybe even most, fly with setting a SS setting to give us effectively a better resolution. I for instance am flying IL-2 with a 1.4SS.

So how would the stock Vive Pro ( realize it is not in consumer hands yet ), or say the Odyssey, compare in resolution at their default as to say running the Rift at a 1.4 SS setting? ( I am referring to SS setting done in Oculus Software, not Steam VR). 1.4SS in Oculus software would be around 1.9 in Steam VR.

Would there be that much difference between the higher res devices mentioned above versus a Rift or Vive running with a higher SS setting?

Of course one could also SS the higher resolution devices, but will they be able to and maintain performance with current rigs?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

This is sad. So even Vive Pro will have issues with scale ?

This problem does not induce scale error, but some slight black bars in the middle of field of view...

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

So how would the stock Vive Pro ( realize it is not in consumer hands yet ), or say the Odyssey, compare in resolution at their default as to say running the Rift at a 1.4 SS setting?

That's like comparing 1080p with super sampling vs 1440p. You can put as much super sampling on your 1080p, it will never be as clear as real 1440p, with or without SS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coconut said:

That's like comparing 1080p with super sampling vs 1440p. You can put as much super sampling on your 1080p, it will never be as clear as real 1440p, with or without SS.

Ok makes sense, thanks.

On 28/3/2018 at 8:08 PM, coconut said:

ou can put as much super sampling on your 1080p, it will never be as clear as real 1440p, with or without SS

but as Don was asking you can also put SS to a 1440p.

In VR it means that SS will also be applicable to Vive Pro (same than Odyssey). The question is if our GPUs will be able to support it.

The answer is a clear yes for a 1080Ti.

For example with the Rift, using a SS=1.4 OTT (2.0 in SteamVR) you render about 8.6million pixels (then downsampled to 2.6 millions of the physical display)

With the Odyssey, using a SS=1.3 OTT (1.7 in SteamVR) you render about 8.6 million pixels (then downsampled to 4.6 millions of the physical display), but the image is much better since you are downsampling less.

Based on the test we did, a 1080Ti can manage well up to 13 million pixels for the render, so with that card we could also put a good amount of SS for the Vive Pro.

SS_Rift-vs-Odyssey.png

Email received May 17, 20187:

Pimax 8K status update
Posted by Pimax 8K VR (Creator)

Hi Futurists, 

We have recorded all your questions and double checked the progress with the team. There are quite a lot to share today: 

M1 closed beta We will ship M1 to the closed beta testers this month. There will be around 10 Pimax 8K testing units in total. 

Kickstarter shipping After super intensive development and testing, now we are very confident about M1. The plan is to start the shipments in June if testers give the green light. As always, we will take the suggestions from the community into consideration to finalize Pimax 8K. 

5K shipping time We will ship 5K and 8K in the same time frame.

Brainwarp Brainwarp is proven feasible in the lab. We will test it in the new hardware structure and will adopt Brainwarp in the final version.

Refresh rate 8K is stable at 80Hz. The team is still trying to improve the refresh rate. The worst case is 80Hz when we start to ship. 5K can reach 90Hz.

Roadshows We plan to hold meetups in different cities when the working units of the controllers are ready.

Controllers The working units (prototype v1) will be ready in June/July, and the shipping time will be Q4.

Lighthouses We plan to ship the lighthouses in Oct.

Pi-tracking We have been working on Pi-tracking. The prototype has passed the internal test. We are testing a new prototype for public demo and will showcase our solution when ready.

Audio quality and specs We have finished the design and will demo the mockup when ready.

Oculus games Pimax 8K supports Oculus games, we will make an Oculus gaming video with M1.

Stretch goal gifts and add-ons 

- Modules - We are working with partners for the modules. The top priority is the hand tracking module and eye tracking module. We are working with several wireless partners as well. 

- Free content - We plan to have one content for controllers, one content for hand motion, and another tbc. We have locked a great controller game and will disclose more info when we have the permission. 

- 10m cable - The cable has passed the internal sample test. We are doing more tests and will disclose more info later. 

- Headstrap - The team is refining the design of the headstrap for better ergonomics.

- Face cushion, cooling fan, VR frame - Not hard to produce at all, we have mockups ready. With limited resources, we are now focusing on the headset. We will update the progress when ready.

Thanks for your passion and patience! While you are waiting for your packages, please join our discussion in the forum: forum.pimaxvr.com and the closed facebook group 8K VR CLUB. 

If you have any question, please let us know and we will give the answers in the next update. 

Best Regards, 

The Pimax Team

• Thanks 1

It seems it works well with one single base station for 360 tracking. That would be nice!

Hi Futurists, 

The tracking performance of M1 with 2 base stations is par with vive so far, but we are willing to take a step further, explore more possibilities and provide more options for you, the Pimax 5K/8K backers! 

We are trying to enable 360 degrees full lighthouse tracking with a single base station, utilizing the PiTracking tech. 

Only Pimax supports a single base station to track 360 degrees so far. 

Based on the initial test result, the single base station tracking performs good, but the function is not fixed yet. We wish but cannot guarantee we can commercialize the solution at the end of the day. We are trying hard to conduct tests with all different environments and will learn the feedback from M1 testers and the community to decide whether we will deploy the solution on the final product. 

Why developing the single base station tracking? 1. easy to set up 2. to achieve more stable tracking 3. to save money and time for gamers 4. it looks more neat and elegant

https://youtu.be/5UjHnlGcbfQ 

Pimax 8K M1 360 degrees full lighthouse tracking test with one base station

https://youtu.be/NRZWqrIvET4 

What happened when you use one base station for tracking with a standard VR headset

From today's update:

To sum up the status of the headset:

- We are now at the hardware mass production stage, and we will tweak the ergonomics with accessories;

- Meanwhile, we are working on software fine tuning for better performance and virtual quality;

- The user interface requires intensive improvements as well.

It's getting real.

Also:

Based on the feedback from backers and users, we decided to offer software options for both 200 degrees and 170 degrees FOV. i.e. You will be free to pick a FOV option before launching each content based on your preference and graphics cards capability.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset/posts/2225752

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

I am wondering if PIMAX has reached out to 1CGS at all?  They are in a testing phase for games, etc. that people may use the HMD with to try to debug as many as possible prior to release.

• Upvote 1

I’m in contact with Pimax 8k M1 tester and this game was tested already. Based my knowledge (winks) there is no scale issue, wide fov is great, only issue is performance , low fps near ground level like in other headsets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

I’m in contact with Pimax 8k M1 tester and this game was tested already. Based my knowledge (winks) there is no scale issue, wide fov is great, only issue is performance , low fps near ground level like in other headsets.

Thanks for that.  Was it performance in general or only near ground?  Near ground fps impact is true on monitors too.

Any idea what his system specs are?

IL 2 BoS/BoM maps was tested on i7 8700k , Gtx 1080 ti, ddr 4 - new hardware , keep in mind this is only beta hardware with beta drivers.. they still improving..

don't know more details (NDA) sorry.

• Thanks 1

From Pimax yesterday:

1. Performance 

Performance has been improved by 30% - 40% for new games, including Unreal 4.18 or later, most Unity games, and Oculus 1.17 or later. We will share a list of games we have tested so far.

GTX 1070 is the minimum graphics cards that we can run 8K with, however, GTX1070 cannot utilize the full potential of Pimax 8K.

We have integrated different FOV options in PiTool for users to choose from. 1070 users would use smaller FOV before upgrading graphics cards.

Worth to mention that, with GTX 1070, 5K performs better than 8K. For those who are not planning to upgrade the graphics cards, we will provide you options to exchange your 8K for 5K + accessories.

Another good news is that the next-generation graphics cards and VR technology are around the corner. We cannot disclose details, but you can find relevant information online.

The more limited FOV is 170.

EDIT:  I'll try it on the 1070 but I expect I'll be buying a 1080Ti or 1180 in the future.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

In news about the 1180 I read this:

They also include the suggestion that the cards will not feature DVI connectors, but will come with VirtualLink USB Type-C for attaching and running virtual reality headsets.

Any idea what the PIMAX 8K connectors will be?

Link to article: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3036808/nvidias-gtx-1180-gpu-will-launch-ahead-of-gamescom-on-20-august

If you are backer and live near Berlin you are lucky:

Hi Futurists,

It's been two months since the first tester started M1 testing. We appreciate the efforts of M1 testers. 90% of the identified hardware and software issues have been resolved, and the team is moving on to further improve the final product.

The testing and production progress goes as planned. We have finished the internal testing units, and the M2 for testers will be ready this month as well. 

Without the input of the testers, we cannot make this far.

The next step is to learn what the backers have to say in the backer meetups, and some of the testers will move on to M2 testing phase to give closer tests of the M2 units.

The first backer meetup

Time: 8/31 - 9/2 

18 minutes ago, Thad said:

Whew... need the fastest and best CPU and GPU to take advantage of 8K headsets. This is reasonable and should have been expected. :salute:

I'm seriously considering to switch to the 5k+. I'll probably get the 8k-x (4k input signal) in a couple of yours. I think it's a bit of a waste to need an 1080ti solely to avoid artifacts during scaling down and then up again.

25 minutes ago, Thad said:

Whew... need the fastest and best CPU and GPU to take advantage of 8K headsets. This is reasonable and should have been expected. :salute:

Uh huh...

;)

Thanks for the news guys, looks promising to me. Nothing surprising in those hw demands, I would have been surprised if the 1070 could run 8k device decently. 

I too am at the 8K/5K+ crossroads.  I have a 1070 which, according to Pimax, is a no go for either the 8K or the 5K+.  I assume therefore that I must upgrade my graphics card which at this point would probably be a 1080Ti.  I have been following the Berlin meetup comments and am familiar with the backers comparisons of SDE, Hz, etc.  I know we need to wait until the 16th for the NDAs to end to get better objective info.

I have no VR experience and have a question.  Is the primary difference between an image frame sent to an HMD vs a monitor the need to go through an SSAA tool or are there other hoops it must jump through?  (I understand the 8K also has the internal upscaler.)

1 hour ago, coconut said:

There is a transformation that's needed to undo the effect of lenses. See Step 2 in https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/NickWhiting/20130611/194007/Integrating_the_Oculus_Rift_into_Unreal_Engine_4.php

Thanks Coconut.  My apologies if this is too far OT. 

So some of the "other hoops" specific to an HMD are stereo rendering and distortion correction.  Please correct me if I don't understand things correctly, it appears that the stereo rendering is done by the application, e.g., IL-2, in place of the normal process for frame creation for a monitor, and the distortion correction is done by the specific HMD, as each has its own lenses. 

Would the SSAA happen before, after or at the same time as the stereo rendering?

Hi guys,

the NDA is finally over!
Of course I also uploaded a review video on my channel. As my channel is german, my comments will be in german, but I made complete english subtitles, so you just have to activate them on YouTube, here is the link to the video:
VoodooDE Pimax video review108

However I also want to write a text review, so here we go:

Design / Comfort / Weight
Everybody feels different about the design of course, but for me it’s the most beautiful headset with the cool blue “V” in the front. The plastics have the disadvantage that you see the fingerprints over time.
The headset is (although its very big) very light with only 560g including head strap. It sits very good on the head and there is not much light coming in. This is not the final version, because Pimax will also send a Deluxe Audio Strap later to the backers.
Pimax 8K M2 and Pimax 5K+ look exactly the same.

Installation / Setup
We need the “PiTool” for the Pimax, so we need to install it first. Pimax didn’t buy any licenses from Microsoft, so you will be confronted with messages that tell you, PiTool might harm your PC. Also the tool tells us to deactivate our virus-scanner… Not a good thing, they have to fix that!
You can do room setup, rendering quality settings, change FOV size, deactivate basestations (for gyroscope tracking), connect controllers, start SteamVR, update firmware.
It’s a pretty good software that everybody should be able to work with. 
What I like is that fact that you can start Oculus games without ReVive! Great work!

Display - Text-Reading
Most people will think it’s much better to read small text with the Pimax headsets as the have a lot smaller SDE. That’s right, BUT you have to notice that you need a REALLY high resolution to do so and this is gonna be a problem for now as the graphics cards won’t have this performance on most games. On a medium resolution ( I mean rendering quality on 1.0 and SteamVR override to 100% for example) you will see it on the 5K+ as good as on the Vive Pro. It’s also very important that the Pimax 8K will need an even much higher resolution than the 5K+ to see small text clear. So in this case the Pimax 8K will be for future graphics cards only. That doesn’t mean the games are unplayable with the 8K, it just means you have to lower the ingame settings and resolution so it’s not really a big difference in small text readability than with the Vive Pro.

Display - Colours
I made some color tests with games and the VR FOV test tool. To be honest I don’t see much (or even no) difference here. Even though the Vive Pro has OLED, I can’t see a big difference to the Pimax LCDs here. So you shouldn’t worry about that. No difference between 5K+ and 8K.

Display - Black Values
As you may already have expected, this is the biggest disadvantage of the Pimax headsets. Areas that should be deep black are more grey/white on the Pimax LCDs and that doesn’t look very good on dark games like horror games or something like Elite Dangerous. You can play the games of course, but it kills the immersion a little bit. This is much better on the Vive Pro with its OLED displays.
However Pimax wants to implement an option to lower the display brightness, so perhaps this will get better than.

Display - Screen Door Effect
A huge difference to the old headsets! On the 5K+ you will still see the SDE when you play games or watching movies. On the 8K you really have to concentrate on it to see the SDE.
Both headsets are doing this MUCH (!) better than any older headset, so don’t worry about the SDE, its great on both headsets. Please keep in mind, that you need a very high resolution and a future graphics card to really take advantage of the small SDE.
It’s still much more fun than on old headsets.

Display - Hz-Value 
The Pimax 5K+ has 90 Hz and the Pimax 8K has 80 Hz. I tried to see a difference, but there is none. People on the Berlin meetup also didn’t see any difference, so just dont worry about this.

Lenses - Field of View
This is the biggest advantage of the Pimax headsets and this really KILLS every other disadvantage mentioned here. It’s a total blast! Its so MUCH MORE immersive than any other headset, even with lower resolution and ingame settings. They made a very good work here and you will never won’t to go back to another headset, when you experienced the

Lenses - Glare / Godrays
GodRays or glare effects are as good as not visible, a really great work by Pimax. Much better than with Oculus Rift or Vive (Pro!). I tested this with the FOV test tool. No need to worry about that! Only very small Godrays visible!

Lenses - Distortion
The problem here is, that everybody feels different about the distortion, I noticed that at the Berlin meetup. Some people didn’t love it and other people didn’t even notice any distortion.
So, I got the Pimax now for several month and I can tell you that I got totally used to it, so that I dont notice it anymore, even with big FOV settings! 
Yes, it’s there, and if you really concentrate on that, you will notice it, but if you just play your game, you will forget about it in seconds, because the distortion only takes place at the very outer edges of the lenses. If you choose normal FOV, its nearly totally gone. Distortion is more noticeable in games where you turn and move fast like Pavlov, Onward and Skyrim. In games where you sit and don’t look to the side very much like racing simulation, you will not even notice the distortion. Also no difference between 5K+ and 8K for me. That’s because they have the same lenses.

Lenses - Sweet Spot
Also very great work here! You put the headset on and you already have the sweet spot, because its very big. That’s much better than with most other headsets. Of course you have to put the right IPD value first, but then if you tighten the straps, its perfect.

Tracking
As we got support for Lighthouse 1 and 2, the tracking is the same as with the Vive, so it’s nearly perfect with 2 basestations. However when you have a bad performance and los fps, it will have an impact on the tracking, so make sure you have good fps.

IPD Settings
The Pimax has a range of 59 to 72 and that pretty ok for most people. I have 60 myself and it’s no problem for me. When you use the IPD screw, the current value of IPD is displayed in the headset, that’s very good!

Performance - Settings
On the one hand this is a disadvantage, because its much handicraft work and every game need its own settings. So you have to play around with the PiTool Rendering scale and FOV (Large or normal) and with the SteamVR resolution override.
For example PiTool set to 1.0 and SteamVR to 100% runs great with Pavlov, but is impossible to play with Hellblade VR. Best thing is, you try around for yourself and write down the best settings for your games so that you don’t have to find out every time you start the game.
On the other hand its an advantage, because there are so many settings that prepare the Pimax for the future! Just try to set Skyrim VR to PiTool 2.0 and SteamVR 150%. It stutters like hell with about 10 fps, but it looks AWESOME! So in severals years with new graphics cards the real potential of the Pimax headsets will come out!

Performance - 5K+ vs 8K Benchmark
When you choose the exact same game-settings and same resolution for the Pimax 5K+ and the 8K, there is absolutely no performance difference, they have the exact same FPS in the games.
However you really have to notice that the Pimax 8K needs higher resolution for the games to look as good as a lower resolution on the 5K+! That’s why I would recommend for people that dont want to buy a 2080 Ti to switch to the 5K+.

Performance - Benchmarks
I made several Benchmarks with the fpsVR tool.
With every game there are 3 benchmarks: One with a very high resolution (Pimax), one with a normal resolution (Pimax) that you should choose and one with the suggested settings of the Vive Pro to compare it to the Pimax headsets.
My testing-system is a GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB Ram, 8700K, Windows 10 x64.
So here are the average FPS values of the benchmarks, for most games here I used medium ingame settings, you can of course lower them to get more FPS:

Arizona Sunshine 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 38 FPS (average)
Arizona Sunshine 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 72 FPS (average)
Arizona Sunshine Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 74 FPS (average)
(works pretty good on normal FOV with Pimax)

Assetto Corsa 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 48 FPS (average)
Assetto Corsa 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 75 FPS (average)
Assetto Corsa Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 77 FPS (average)
(works very good on normal FOV with Pimax)

CyubeVR 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 50 FPS (average)
CyubeVR 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 69 FPS (average)
CyubeVR Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 63 FPS (average)
(Is unplayable on the Pimax, because strange display errors occur)

Digital Combat Simulator 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 31 FPS (average)
Digital Combat Simulator 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 46 FPS (average)
Digital Combat Simulator Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = Tool error (locked to 45 FPS)
(needs much performance, but this game is also playable with only 45 FPS)

Elite Dangerous 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 31 FPS (average)
Elite Dangerous 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 51 FPS (average)
Elite Dangerous Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = Tool error (locked to 45 FPS)
(needs much performance, doesn’t run very good, you have to lower ingame settings)

Fallout 4 VR 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 29 FPS (average)
Fallout 4 VR 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 61 FPS (average)
Fallout 4 VR Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = Tool error (locked to 45 FPS)
(bad engine, runs bad on nearly every headset, not much fun)

Hellblade VR 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = Unreal Engine error
Hellblade VR 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 38 FPS (average)
Hellblade VR Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 84 FPS (average)
(needs to much performance for Pimax headsets, nearly unplayable)

Lone Echo 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 45 FPS (average)
Lone Echo 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 55 FPS (average)
Lone Echo Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 67 FPS (average)
(works pretty good on normal FOV and medium settings on Pimax and even without having to installed ReVive! Great Work!)

Onward 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 72 FPS (average)
Onward 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 78 FPS (average)
Onward Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 90 FPS (average)
(works perfect on Pimax, even with high resolutions and large FOV!)

OrbusVR 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 39 FPS (average)
OrbusVR 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 44 FPS (average)
OrbusVR Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 71 FPS (average)
(works bad on Pimax, needs much performance, you have to set low quality ingame)

Paranormal Activity 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 48 FPS (average)
Paranormal Activity 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 77 FPS (average)
Paranormal Activity Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 81 FPS (average)
(works good on Pimax with normal resolution and normal fov)

Pavlov VR 5K/8K, Resolution 5443x2418 = 74 FPS (average)
Pavlov VR 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 79 FPS (average)
Pavlov VR Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 89 FPS (average)
(this game works absolutely perfect on Pimax with even high resolutions, maximum in game settings and large fov!)

Project Cars 1 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 29 FPS (average)
Project Cars 1 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 42 FPS (average)
Project Cars 1 Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = Tool error (locked to 45 FPS)
(needs much performance, doesn’t work very good on Pimax, lower the ingame settings!)

Skyrim VR 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 55 FPS (average)
Skyrim VR 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 70 FPS (average)
Skyrim VR Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 88 FPS (average)
(works very good on Pimax with normal resolution and normal fov)

VorpX Kingdome Come 5K/8K Resolution 5443x2418 = 40 FPS (average)
VorpX Kingdome Come 5K/8K Resolution 2668x2418 = 45 FPS (average)
VorpX Kingdome Come Vive Pro Resolution 2351x2612 = 88 FPS (average)
(VorpX games are totally unplayable, because they need to much performance on the Pimax, this is for future use only I think)

Glasses
For now it’s a big problem with glasses, because the lenses will touch the glasses in most cases. However Pimax will ship a special glasses face cushion, so that will be fixed in the future.

Heat
With the fact that your eyes are nearly touching the lenses, everything will heat up pretty much under the headset. I tried some really exhausting Beat Saber and Audioshield sessions and I really sweated very much and the sweat even ran down the lenses.

Cleaning
The Pimax headsets are very good to clean! You can remove the whole face inset and clean it under flowing water and then dry it! Good work!

Face-inset remove
The face foam and the complete face inset can be completely removed.

Cable-Length and extension
Cable is 5M and can at least be extended to 7m.

Connections 
You got two USB-C slots, one audio jack and the slot for the headset cable.

Bow- and arrow games
As the Pimax headsets are very big, it will happen, that you hit your headset with the controllers or hands in games where you grab behind your back, for example in Bow- and arrow games. However you can train it and get used to it.

Vive Tracker Support
Vive Tracker can be connected without a problem and are shown in SteamVR as intended. However every full body tracking game crashed at the start. Seems this has to be fixed by the game developers themselves.

Hand Tracking
The hand tracking module, that is attached under the Pimax headset, works like a charm and feels very good! I really hope there will be some games coming out that support the hand tracking, because for now there are only demos.

Motion Sickness
There was no difference for me between Vive Pro, Oculus Rift and Pimax with motion sickness. When you get motion sick with other headsets, you will also get with Pimax and when motion sickness is no problem for you, it won’t be on the Pimax either.

Packaging
Packaging is nothing special, blue/black design, but everything is protected very well!

Sound and microphone
For now I can’t tell you much about the sound, because you need your own headphones until the Pimax deluxe audio strap will arrive.
However I tested the integrated microphone and its one of the best ever in the VR headsets!

Should you change to 5K+?
If your REALLY (!) hate to see any SDE, if that is the most important thing for you, then you should keep the Pimax 8K.
For everybody else I would switch to the Pimax 5K+, because you need a lower resolution to look equal than with the 8K and so have more performance for the games. I don’t see any big difference in color, distortion, black values or other things between the 5K+ and the 8K.
If you really want to keep the 8K, please keep in mind that your really need a high-end-pc and should definitely preorder the 2080 Ti in my opinion!

Conclusion
All in all I want to say, that Pimax did a very good job! The big FOV is the absolute blast and kills every other consumer headset on the market (We don’t talk about the ultra expensive StarVR one or XTAL here). The Vive Pro is totally killed in my opinion, nobody needs it anymore!
Even with the bad black values and the need for a high-end-pc, its so much more immersive and just feels great! If you played with the Pimax for some hours, you will never ever want to go back to an older headset, it’s so bad to see this very ugly small fov again.
If the Pimax 8K will have the same price than Vive Pro or perhaps some more dollars only, it will be absolutely worth it! Pimax 5K+ should be 100 to 150 dollars cheaper than the Vive Pro, than it would be perfect!
It is even prepared for the future. In two or three graphics card generations it will even look much better, so you can even see more Pimax Power in the future.
Absolutely great work by Pimax all in all, but it was also the work of us testers that Pimax could release such a good headset, I hope you will appreciate it!
For me the Pimax 5K+ and 8K are VR 2.0, next gen!

I’d love to hear what you think about my review and you should also watch my video as there are manual created and very good english subtitles. I also would appreciate a thumbs up here and on my video review as well as a sub :slight_smile:

Thanks
Thomas (VoodooDE)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jocko said:

In the video shows quite a bit of fish eye deformity.

Hope is just the effect of the video.

If more field of view means fish eye effect, I am worried this happens in the game, will ruin immersion big time.

41836341_1891963810856717_1963861920511426560_n.jpg

Edited by II./JG77_motoadve

9 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Should you change to 5K+?
If your REALLY (!) hate to see any SDE, if that is the most important thing for you, then you should keep the Pimax 8K.
For everybody else I would switch to the Pimax 5K+, because you need a lower resolution to look equal than with the 8K and so have more performance for the games. I don’t see any big difference in color, distortion, black values or other things between the 5K+ and the 8K.
If you really want to keep the 8K, please keep in mind that your really need a high-end-pc and should definitely preorder the 2080 Ti in my opinion!

Great review VoodooDE, I also watched your video review and was impressed by the detail and effort you made.  Thanks for your efforts getting us this info.

As an 8K backer I am about 80% convinced that I am sticking with 8K instead of the 5K+.  My reasoning is that SDE is more important and as you add SS to the image then the 8K will begin to look better.  The worse SDE of the 5K would come into play sooner and there would be a point the 8K leaves it behind for IQ.

On my Odyssey there comes a point when adding SS makes zero difference because the SDE becomes the limiting factor.  Could you possibly run both headsets at max SS and Image settings and confirm if the 8K does indeed have more room to improve than the 5K because of the better SDE?  I am thinking of the future rather than the present, so FPS is not a factor.

Thanks

2 hours ago, ICDP said:

As an 8K backer I am about 80% convinced that I am sticking with 8K instead of the 5K+.  My reasoning is that SDE is more important and as you add SS to the image then the 8K will begin to look better.  The worse SDE of the 5K would come into play sooner and there would be a point the 8K leaves it behind for IQ.

For Il2 belive me 5k+ is munch better choice and this game will even strugle on rtx 2080ti.

I tested IL2 with Pimax 8k in Berlin and distance details was on pair with my Vive becouse simply 1080ti is not enough to set high SS values to drive 8k. 5 k+ gives you munch better distance visuals with the same amount of SS and resolutions. SDE is great in both devices thanks to RGB matrix but sde is not a resolutions and upscaling with low res makes picture really blury.

Reasuming SDE is pent-tille matrix issue of first gen hedset including vive pro and odyssey but in Pimax 5k/8k during gameplay session is hard to even notice sde .

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

In the video shows quite a bit of fish eye deformity.

Hope is just the effect of the video.

If more field of view means fish eye effect, I am worried this happens in the game, will ruin immersion big time.

41836341_1891963810856717_1963861920511426560_n.jpg

Correct. SweVive keeps reminding us throughout his review, and also in VoodooDE's, that the fisheye effect only appears on the mirrored view of the monitor, not in the VR headset.

3 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

For Il2 belive me 5k+ is munch better choice and this game will even strugle on rtx 2080ti.

I tested IL2 with Pimax 8k in Berlin and distance details was on pair with my Vive becouse simply 1080ti is not enough to set high SS values to drive 8k. 5 k+ gives you munch better distance visuals with the same amount of SS and resolutions. SDE is great in both devices thanks to RGB matrix but sde is not a resolutions and upscaling with low res makes picture really blury.

Reasuming SDE is pent-tille matrix issue of first gen hedset including vive pro and odyssey but in Pimax 5k/8k during gameplay session is hard to even notice sde .

I have no doubts about switching from 8K to the 5K+. I am happy with the SDE with my Vive Pro. The 5K+ improves upon this further with its RGB stripe and I don't need 8K levels of SDE. I prefer to have graphics effects maxed out than have lower FPS and lower SDE. The 5K+ also has a greater resolution because the panels are 9% smaller.

SweViver, after 3 months of playing with these headsets, said that given the choice of the 8K or 5K+ he would take the 5K+. This seems to be the consensus of all 3 reviewers so far.

2 hours ago, scrapmetal said:

Correct. SweVive keeps reminding us throughout his review, and also in VoodooDE's, that the fisheye effect only appears on the mirrored view of the monitor, not in the VR headset.

I have no doubts about switching from 8K to the 5K+. I am happy with the SDE with my Vive Pro. The 5K+ improves upon this further with its RGB stripe and I don't need 8K levels of SDE. I prefer to have graphics effects maxed out than have lower FPS and lower SDE. The 5K+ also has a greater resolution because the panels are 9% smaller.

SweViver, after 3 months of playing with these headsets, said that given the choice of the 8K or 5K+ he would take the 5K+. This seems to be the consensus of all 3 reviewers so far.

Yes I am with you waiting for the 5K to come out. :)

No dates yet?

The following relates to Sweviver's review:

Time 1:23:30 to 1:28:55  - Comments about 8K vs 5K+ in simulators including comments about ability to ID objects at distance better on the 8K.  This is contingent on ability to push higher resolutions to the 8K.  1:28:44  "The 8K was the simmers' choice."

Time 2:14 to 2:16  - IL-2 testing.  Better smoothness running at Normal FOV for either HMD.  2:15:20 He mentions how changes to the PiTool slider to 1.5, reduction of SS to 30% and turning off in-game AA makes the game look great without fps impact.  Unfortunately it is unclear to me which HMD he is talking about at that moment or is it both?

Pros of 8K over 5K+ in regards to IL-2:

Somewhat darker blacks

Better contrast

Less color banding

80Hz vs 90Hz refresh rate does not effect playability and gives better smoothness

Object spotting and ID at distance

Less SDE

Sweviver's final 5K+ decision (correct me if I'm wrong Sweviver if you are lurking around) appears to be made from the standpoint of an HMD for gaming in general, not IL-2 specific.   For me, at the moment, IL-2 is really the only game I play.  I will need a new GPU regardless (maybe 2080?).  It is still unclear to me what settings are required to push the resolution of the 8K for IL-2 to be better than the 5K+ and how attainable this is with the 1080Ti or with the new 2080.  Either HMD will be better than what I have, which is nothing.

Review link:  https://youtu.be/bcZ0CXP0qgU

When can non backers expect to be able to purchase one of these? Really want that 5k+. Looks like I made a smart buy with EVGA they have the stepup program so for another 600 bucks I can grab a 2080ti.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

3 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

When can non backers expect to be able to purchase one of these? Really want that 5k+. Looks like I made a smart buy with EVGA they have the stepup program so for another 600 bucks I can grab a 2080ti.

This is the question us non backers want to know.

Preorders start in October, ships after last backer has received their headset. Targeted shipping start: Early 2019

Pimax 8k/5k plus shipping to backers will start end of September, goal: all backers shall receive their devices before Xmas ( chance of this happening 90percent)

Controllers can be tried end of year. First developer version gonna ship Q1 2019, goes out to backers Q2 2019.

20 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Czesc,

Can you tell me how far away from you, you could tell (4km?2km?) the outline of an aircraft in front of you, rather than being just a dark dot in the sky With the 5k+. With Rift its really something like 0.5km for me...

Edited by TunaEatsLion

21 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Thanks for this, I just read it.  Very helpful to see something iL-2 specific.  Do you have any thoughts about Brainwarp?  Is it vaporware?  If it might actually come to fruition, do you think it would be a big benefit?