Bullets

Pimax 8k / 5k VR headsets coming to Kickstarter this month!

6 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Even if the previous version was 100 fps, a 14 fps improvement I would call significant.

I think so too but was trying to answer the question without including my own values. If they continue optimizing then maybe, but right now no, you still won't be bottlenecked by anything above a 1080 unless you want to reach for very high supersampling. This is with a rift in mind. Pimax would probably need some more gpu-meat but with the wider fov(increased drawcalls) will likely increase cpu frametimes also.

I ordered mine about 2 or 3 weeks ago...I wonder when I might expect its delivery.

I hope you’ll write a review when you’ve received & tested it.

Still thinking about jumping on the VR bandwagon.  I originally wanted to upgrade my PC and video card this Christmas to do so and waiting until late next year to buy a PiMax 5K+ or some new offering from Oculus or Steam, but now I'm tempted to pull the trigger now!  That said, the cost for the upgrade I wish to make AND a 5K+ AND a Steam basestation will be rather steep.  :blink:

I can only imagine what the wife will say if I decide to pull the trigger.  That will be a fun discussion.....   :help:

Just now, ATAG_Invictus said:

Still thinking about jumping on the VR bandwagon.  I originally wanted to upgrade my PC and video card this Christmas to do so and waiting until late next year to buy a PiMax 5K+ or some new offering from Oculus or Steam, but now I'm tempted to pull the trigger now!  That said, the cost for the upgrade I wish to make AND a 5K+ AND a Steam basestation will be rather steep.  :blink:

I can only imagine what the wife will say if I decide to pull the trigger.  That will be a fun discussion.....   :help:

I was honest with my wife,and......IT WORKED! This was after I had hinted I wanted a Samsung HMD for Christmas.Since delivery of the Pimax is months away I figured I’d have the better resolution of the Samsung for that time & then sell it IF in the meantime reviews for the Pimax are good I’d keep the order open...if not cancel it. I did mention all this to my wife while drinking cocktails at a dinner out, just in case there was a chance of making a scene,but all went well!!

( I might add:I didn't mention the price...and she will see the Visa card bill later this month & I’m sure I’ll have to do a lot of ‘splain’....)

2 minutes ago, Sarpalaxan said:

Show her Beat Sabour and tell her it can be used for Fitness.

Won't work.  She gets extreme motion sickness from watching driving games on the Xbox One.  There's no way she will put on any headset I buy....  :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

I was honest with my wife,and......IT WORKED! This was after I had hinted I wanted a Samsung HMD for Christmas.Since delivery of the Pimax is months away I figured I’d have the better resolution of the Samsung for that time & then sell it IF in the meantime reviews for the Pimax are good I’d keep the order open...if not cancel it. I did mention all this to my wife while drinking cocktails at a dinner out, just in case there was a chance of making a scene,but all went well!!

( I might add:I didn't mention the price...and she will see the Visa card bill later this month & I’m sure I’ll have to do a lot of ‘splain’....)

A good approach.  As a rule, I never lie to my wife about this stuff....she's a CPA and there's no bloody way I can hide it from her.  :lol:

Kind of abandoned this thread for a very long time as I was out of the market for buying a VR headset. Just done some quick research and my interest has been spiked once again. After reading back a few pages I have come to the conclusion that the 5k+ is the one to go for as because of the 8k's pixel layout the image actually looks blurrier unless you are really zoomed in on what you are looking at (gauges ect). Is that the correct assumption?   I wan't to try and get my hands on one to test before I commit to purchase though as if I find the screen door effect too bad I won't buy 😕 

Yes the 5K+ will be better to read gauges than the 8K, and overall more crisp.

The 8K will help naturally hide aliasing due to its softer image from the internal upscaler. Also far distance objects should look less blocky compared to the 5K+.

My preference goes to the 5K+ (from lot of reading, haven't received mine yet).

Hi guys

backer #493 - Quick delivery to Poland this time , Sunday got my DPD UK tracking number a today they delivered the parcel to my house.

Checked , installed no issues or dead pixels. Tested Il 2 box like 2 hours now and will share my impressions latter..

HvWJWEW.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

and will share my impressions latter..

NO WAY. I demand you share impressions now! 😉

• Upvote 2

The VR World awaits in wonder...at least those of us who pre-ordered & have a while to wait..just curious :what sort of headphones you will be using?🔊

Edited by Blitzen

1 hour ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Hi guys

backer #493 - Quick delivery to Poland this time , Sunday got my DPD UK tracking number a today they delivered the parcel to my house.

Checked , installed no issues or dead pixels. Tested Il 2 box like 2 hours now and will share my impressions latter..

HvWJWEW.jpg

Sweet! looking forward to it ...good luck! 

Edited by HellCat_

43 minutes ago, coconut said:

Same here 😀

I see you have opted for a 5K+ so I'm highly interested in your feedback as a flightsimmer (and racedriver, as I notice your clubsport inverted pedals and thrustmaster wheelbase).

Edited by neelrocker

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

just curious :what sort of headphones you will be using

like always -  customized senheisser HD 800 connected to little dot mk 4 se tube amp interconnected with m2tech young dac

HkfHxu2.jpg

4 hours ago, coconut said:

I second the demand.  Is that like an order now?  Dzieki

11 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Tested Il 2 box like 2 hours now and will share my impressions latter..

Good to see they finally arrived!

Eager to see how it performs in your 8700K and 1080Ti with the different FOVs modes.

9 hours ago, TunaEatsLion said:

I second the demand.  Is that like an order now?  Dzieki

Okey Gentlemen, a few words how I feel  Pimax 5k plus with IL 2 Box. But its only inital impressions without solid messing around with settings. So nothing is set in stone yet :)

The good :

-sense of presence in 3D dimmension munch deeper that in my gen1 ( Vive , tested also Oculus , PSVR) 

I was flying in P47 on Kuban map between canions and mountais and due to wide fov , better resolutions, rgb strip and IMHO better scale factor I was able  manouver munch easest than at  my OG Vive . Also becouse of thouse factors I can locate and target ground units or objects easer !

In this heaset the sense of distance is much more pronounced.

I was tested that on normal Fov mode ( around 150 horizontally) and small FOV mode ( around 125 horiontally) Even on small Fov I wasnt missed peripheral vision . It was still good enough.

- Zero goodrays and tiny SDE - which dont bother me at all.

I didnt played yet on MP servers with Pimax becouse need stabilize FPS first but this headset seems to give us nice advantage during combat missions.

The mixed:

My Vive with "Gearvr lens mod" combining with Steam VR video render settings at 340 % gives me munch crisper image . Pimax lenses are quite good but cant compete with gearvr lenses. I have this feeling that I'm watching over the windows with kind of thin foil on it. But definitly better that orginal Vive lenses or Oculus lenses. Edit : might be wrong here and lenses are great but strong exagerated LCD backlighting gives that effects.

Didnt find proper settings  for 90 fps yet. The problem is if you want have sharp image you need to running this game around 4000x3000 pixels per eye.

On small FOV mode ( still good for me) my higher FPS was around 75 ~80 fps on Kuban map and around 50 near ground level.

On normall mode - my overall fps was lower , around 66 fps and 49 near ground. Initall test was done with medium textures settings and AA 2x , HDR off, distance view set 70 km.

Definitly BAD

Colors - not even bad blacks,  but this  fraeaking fuc...g LCD backlight ruin my imerssions. I'm used to vivid colors of my Vive and 4k AOC MVA - 10bit monitors.

All colurs in P5k + are bleached /faded. I know that this is very subjective but I can't 

deceive my mind if blue summer sky is not really blue but greyish and yellow sun is not really yellow and this dirty grass which should be beautyfully green in summer or spring...

Geometry distortion - there is still something wrong when you moving your head left- right or even up/down (less), its very noticable on briefing screen and  less during flight ( barelly) and not noticable with low FOV mode

Conclussion Pimax promised color temp/saturation and brightness slider in PiTool, but those folks promising a lot and make only 50 % of promisses.

I will play a few months at Pimax 5k+  but If they do not fix above ( backlight /distortions) than definitly I will looking for better HMD with AMOLEDs screens - meybe Pimax 5k be or new not announced yet  Valve hmd - leaked specs looks fine for me .

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Okey Gentlemen, a few words how I feel  Pimax 5k plus with IL 2 Box. But its only inital impressions without solid messing around with settings. So nothing is set in stone yet :)

The good :

-sense of presence in 3D dimmension munch deeper that in my gen1 ( Vive , tested also Oculus , PSVR) 

I was flying in P47 on Kuban map between canions and mountais and due to wide fov , better resolutions, rgb strip and IMHO better scale factor I was able  manouver munch easest than at  my OG Vive . Also becouse of thouse factors It was easier to find and target ground units or objects.

In this heaset the sense of distance is much more pronounced.

I was tested that on normal Fov mode ( around 150 horizontally) and small FOV mode ( around 125 horiontally) Even on small Fov I wasnt missed peripheral vision . It was still good enough.

- Zero goodrays and tiny SDE - which dont bother me at all.

The mixed:

My Vive with "Gearvr lens mod" gives me munch crisper image. Pimax lenses are quite good but cant compete with gearvr lenses. I have this feeling that I'm watching over the windows with kind of thin foil on it. But definitly better that orginal Vive lenses or Oculus lenses

Didnt find proper settings  for 90 fps yet. The problem is if you want have sharp image you need to running this game around 4000x3000 pixels per eye.

On small FOV mode ( still good for me) my higher FPS was around 75 ~80 fps on Kuban map and around 50 near ground level.

On normall mode - my fps was lover - around 66 fps and 49 near ground. Initall test was done with medium textures settings and AA 2x , HDR off, distance view 70 km.

Definitly BAD

Colors - not even bad blacks,  but this  fraeaking fuc...g LCD backlight ruin my imerssions. I'm used to vivid colors of my Vive and 4k AOC MVA - 10bit monitors.

All colurs in P5k + are bleached /faded. I know that this is very subjective but I can't 

deceive my mind if blue summer sky is not really blue but greyish and yellow sun is not really yellow and this dirty grass

Geometry distortion - there is still something wrong when you moving your head left- right or even up/down, its very noticable on briefing screen a bit less during flight.

Conclussion Pimax promised color temp/saturation and brightness slider in PiTool, but those folks promising a lot and make only 50 % of promisses.

I will play a few months at Pimax 5k+  but If they do not fix above ( backlight /distortions) than definitly I will looking for better HMD with AMOLEDs screens - meybe Pimax 5k be or new not announced yet  Valve hmd which specs looks fine for me .

Thanks for your initial impressions 🙂

I have two more questions:

1. Now that you have the Pimax but also have the Vive: What is your preferred headset to fly? The "bad" sound quite bad to me, hence the question.

2. Do you think it was a good buy in general? Or would you not buy the headset again, if you knew how it is beforehand.

Oculus user here, thinking about buying the 5k+. But since XTAL announced a consumer version, I am thinking about waiting that long and skipping the Pimax (and maybe going for the Samsung Odyssey+ as intermediate solution)

29 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Do you think it was a good buy in general? Or would you not buy the headset again, if you knew how it is beforehand.

Yeah for 500 $ which I spent a year ago it was/is good deal. I still don't see nothing better on the market . Odyssey+ = problems with steam VR ( bad support) , tiny FOV, and not so crisp image. SDE tricks is not for me , prefer native resolutions with sharp image.

Edited by TWHYata_PL

4 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

My Vive with "Gearvr lens mod" combining with Steam VR video render settings at 340 % gives me munch crisper image

are you running vive or vivepro ?

also, can we maybe swap out the pimax lenses for gearvr lenses as well? I'm sure it's no easy feat but for my vivepro it was such a dramatic improvement that I wonder if pimax can greatly benefit from the same mod.

33 minutes ago, moosya said:

are you running vive or vivepro ?

also, can we maybe swap out the pimax lenses for gearvr lenses as well? I'm sure it's no easy feat but for my vivepro it was such a dramatic improvement that I wonder if pimax can greatly benefit from the same mod.

The Pimax lenses are much wider for obvious reasons, so that's definitely not possible

3 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

The Pimax lenses are much wider for obvious reasons, so that's definitely not possible

width of the lense has nothing to do with FOV. The focal length does.

Just now, moosya said:

The Pimax lenses are much bigger then the GearVR lenses, that's a fact

2 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

The Pimax lenses are much bigger then the GearVR lenses, that's a fact

ok, wasn't aware of that fact. I guess if the focal length is close to being the same you can print an adapter to close the gap.  Obviously, it's too early to talk about any of this.. :) But one can wish!

2 hours ago, moosya said:

swaping  lenses for any headsets with wide fov is impossible cos of distortion profile even  if you will find proper size, but lenses are quite good,  main issue I have with backlighting and geometry distortions..

today I watched new sweviver video about Xtal , they are preparing high end hmd for consumers especially simers

Edited by TWHYata_PL

3 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

swaping  lenses for any headsets with wide fov is impossible cos of distortion profile even  if you will find proper size, but lenses are quite good,  main issue I have with backlighting and geometry distortions..

today I watched new sweviver video about Xtal , they are preparing high end hmd for consumers especially simers

cool, gotcha. I've pre-ordered pimax when they announced it, so I have no idea when i'll get it, but at least it's coming. :)  Judging by such polarized reviews from the pimax backers (awesome! vs. meh!) I fear it'll go down the way of Odyssey+, i.e. I found it to be the worst HMD headset I ever tries, yet there are folks who think it's the best thing since the sliced bread.

Xtal  is just drumming up publicity. I'll take them seriously in 2020. 😄

I'm waiting for Samsung Odyssey+ ,I don't know  how I will find Odyssey+, but I have GearVR  can O+ lens be swapped  between two ?

This headset curently is growing in my eyes. Tested Asseto Corsa - amazing , somooth expirence with high PiTool render values...

about geometry distortion - there is still hope for me ,some ppl dont observe that and it might me connected with hmd firmware  or model version...checking...

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Thank you for your feedback.

What about ergonomics and sweet spot?

ergonomics is fine , headset is very light , ofcourse i would welcome better headstrap but we need to wait for that..

I'm using foam replacement form my Vive  https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-foam-replacement-6mm/

sweetspot is amazing like 110 degree or so

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Like 1

Congratulations TWHYata_PL.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.

I’m also waiting for a 5K+ (8KX backer) and I’m wandering how far you can spot a plane and how easy is to ID it.

thankyou 

15(Span.)/JG51Costa

P.S: Are you using 3DMigoto?

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Costa
  • Like 1

Today i did some modifications, I used rEvolve headstrap from my  OG vive

Connected by 3 velcro straps, one of the velcro went thru audio hole , pretty tricky but it works and I can tell its 10 times more comfortable&functional than standard strap
Also installed 6mm vr cover foam replacement from my OG Vive + extra layer of velcro ( ~3 mm ) to get longer distance to the lenses just to be able fit my glasses

created short movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCpK1M7g-ew

10 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

.S: Are you using 3DMigoto?

yes but I dont like it, 

5 hours ago, lefuneste said:

What don't you like in the 3dmigoto mod ?

becouse only one eye is zooming, botch eyes are not synchronized, stereo effect its very weird , works for me bad in Vive and now is even less usable in Pimax, pluse in game vr zoom recived patch recently..

Edited by TWHYata_PL

VR zoom needs to be tuned for each HMD. I include settings for Pimax 4k (the one I have) maybe you can try them. Otherwise, the methodology to setup your own settings are written in the first post of mod thread. Nevertheless, there is also an option to add color saturation and modify brightness, you may try it if you find colors too "washed". There is nearly no fps loss with the mod and current HMD, I wonder if it will be still the case with the 5k+...

I did not notice VR zoom elements in change log. What have they done ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

pluse in game vr zoom recived patch recently..

What's this?

2 hours ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

What's this?

"17. It is now possible to lean to the gunsight closer than before on all aircraft;"

3 hours ago, lefuneste said:

VR zoom needs to be tuned for each HMD. I include settings for Pimax 4k (the one I have) maybe you can try them. Otherwise, the methodology to setup your own settings are written in the first post of mod thread. Nevertheless, there is also an option to add color saturation and modify brightness, you may try it if you find colors too "washed". There is nearly no fps loss with the mod and current HMD, I wonder if it will be still the case with the 5k+...

Well I never dive correctly in your mod settings. My IPD  is 66.4 what should I change in this x , y parameters ?

In which ini file I can play with saturation and colors settings ? thanks for your help in advance :)

Edit: Modified colors and saturations, its very close to natural, this mod really helped me and immersion bumped up !! . I'm going to like my Pimax more and more .Thank you @lefuneste

Edited by TWHYata_PL