VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

=SFG=capt_nasties
14 minutes ago, dburne said:

You should be able to play with High clouds setting on your rig.

However what you describe currently not much can be done about. 

thanks, sounds like an issue that is not solvable so I suppose I will revert to my previous settings and live with it.  

Hello, you will mostly solve it with global settings  >=high AND cloud settings >= med.

But I will soon release the 7,0  version of 3dmigoto mod that improve things for settings below that.

=SFG=capt_nasties
On 1/28/2019 at 9:57 AM, lefuneste said:

Hello, you will mostly solve it with global settings  >=high AND cloud settings >= med.

But I will soon release the 7,0  version of 3dmigoto mod that improve things for settings below that.

Thanks I will try that.  I had global settings on low.  What FPS hit is to be expected with upping global to high from low?  

I admittedly thought the global settings were presets for the selectable options but sounds like they are also a variable that is independent from the adjustable settings in the graphics menu? 

8 hours ago, capt_nasties said:

Thanks I will try that.  I had global settings on low.  What FPS hit is to be expected with upping global to high from low?  

I admittedly thought the global settings were presets for the selectable options but sounds like they are also a variable that is independent from the adjustable settings in the graphics menu? 

The preset is independent of the selectable options. It's responsible for rendering quality and the size of the 'bubble' around you. How far you you see higher quality. Going from low to high is probably quite a huge FPS hit. I would estimate around 20-30 FPS without any scientific proof, just by experience. This is how I remember.

Clouds are a problem for sure. I currently use High preset with High clouds because that is the minimum setting on which clouds don't look like sh*t (in the Rift at least). Anything below (either balanced preset with high clouds, or high preset with medium clouds) and the clouds start to look a shimmering low res mess.

Personally I would like to use Balanced preset but can't do that because of the clouds.

• Upvote 1

=SFG=capt_nasties

Tried out high global + high clouds and my PC could not hack it.  20 to 30 fps hit for sure with my entry level (for vr) set up.  Hoping to build a new PC in 2020

Is there a way to decide at game launch, if you want to launch it in VR mode or without VR? I recall that this question was asked before (coconut?) and even answered (Sneaksie?), but can't find it.

Up until recently I had a very clear Rift VR game ,using either Steam or OTT startup with the usual SDE but nothing out of the ordinary.I combined the tips found here & those found in another set of postings "Copy Paste settings for startup.exe ,Then about two weeks ago after a Steam & Nvidia update my game went a little haywire & I had red warnings all over the starting screen, so i did a uninstall re-install of the sim through Steam.After this i applied the settings found here including the Steam VR settings and revised the startup exe. settings ( although these now occasionally revert to default settings all by themselves...)just as i had done before, but something had changed. The exterior views of the aircraft & other objects were not quite as sharp as they were before.The shadows inside & particularly outside the plane , like wing shadows etc were no longer sharp but now sort of flicker esp in normal views of aircraft.They didn't have the jagged edges we are all familiar with , but they had acquired what I can best describe as a shimmer especially around sunlit highlights ( like wing roots)& straight edges (like the 109 canopy.)Visibility of other target aircraft has also been downgraded several notches. Since then i've  tried about everything to get back to where i was before , but with little luck and probably once or twice made the situation worse by adjusting in game settings ,Steam VR & startup exe.settings so they work at cross purposes.Is there a more or less simple way out of this puzzle- I need some help.Thanks!

Edited by Blitzen
added info

On 2/4/2019 at 10:37 AM, Blitzen said:

Up until recently I had a very clear Rift VR game ,using either Steam or OTT startup with the usual SDE but nothing out of the ordinary.I combined the tips found here & those found in another set of postings "Copy Paste settings for startup.exe ,Then about two weeks ago after a Steam & Nvidia update my game went a little haywire & I had red warnings all over the starting screen, so i did a uninstall re-install of the sim through Steam.After this i applied the settings found here including the Steam VR settings and revised the startup exe. settings ( although these now occasionally revert to default settings all by themselves...)just as i had done before, but something had changed. The exterior views of the aircraft & other objects were not quite as sharp as they were before.The shadows inside & particularly outside the plane , like wing shadows etc were no longer sharp but now sort of flicker esp in normal views of aircraft.They didn't have the jagged edges we are all familiar with , but they had acquired what I can best describe as a shimmer especially around sunlit highlights ( like wing roots)& straight edges (like the 109 canopy.)Visibility of other target aircraft has also been downgraded several notches. Since then i've  tried about everything to get back to where i was before , but with little luck and probably once or twice made the situation worse by adjusting in game settings ,Steam VR & startup exe.settings so they work at cross purposes.Is there a more or less simple way out of this puzzle- I need some help.Thanks!

That's a real shame to hear, sorry you're going through it. My PC is out of action so I can't give you tips for recent patches.

You could try downloading the old Nvidia drivers through the website (doing a proper uninstall, restart, install and cleaning out old driver settings in the process). But the lack of sharpness is concerning, you could uncheck (or check - just try out the other option) "Advanced Filtering" in SteamVR. Turning it on will stop things from looking pixelated at the cost of some sharpness -  it's a user preference kind of thing. With some of the SteamVR patches the supersampling has been made weirder still so experimenting with lowering it can pay off (though it is a hard sacrifice). Lastly, just double check sharpness in game. 

Hope you get it sorted anyway :)

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I'll give the old driver a try.do I get rid of only the new driver seen here? never done this before....🤫

nv.jpg

Try a clean driver install - latest Nvidia driver should be fine.

Download driver.

Disconnect ethernet cable.

Uninstall Nvidia drivers with DDU in safe mode.

Reboot - ethernet still disconnected.

When at desktop,  install Nvidia driver - select custom install, and only select the Graphics Driver itself and PhysX.

Do not select any of those others, you only want to install the two mentioned.

After installation complete, connect ethernet cable and reboot again for good measure.

Once back at desktop, go into Nvidia Control Panel and set a profile for IL-2 - and select "Prefer Maximum Performance" for the power. By default it will be at optimal, change that. Also check in Windows and insure the Game Bar and everything related to it is disabled.

Hope this helps,

Edited by dburne

I think this problem is solved( fingers crossed ) I tried about everything suggested.Fooling with Nvidia settings, Steam VR settings .startup exe. Settings & In-game settings...Yes a sort of blender approach.I had quite got to going back to a previous Nvidia update . Finally I got OTT actually paired up & working -I know because I got the Audio OK. In the past I have occasionally used either Steam to start the sim with Steam VR settings or used the game’s own exe. With the OTT. Anyway after the last juggling of settings I tried just once with OTT at the recommended settings and BOOM big improvement! I can’t tell you why or even how I got an improvement and only hope it doesn’t slip back again but for the time being I’m back in business! Thanks all!

11 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hardware trick. The Oculus Rift cable can fail due to developing a 'kink' in the spot just behind the C-clamp. Here's a rubber support using Sugru moldable glue. Totally worked, and hopefully I won't need to spend $70 on a new cable again in future.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gMeOrod

Great tip. Thanks for sharing. I had to get the cable replaced once for bending exactly at that place and it's starting to bend again.

I’ve ironed out several problems with clarity I’ve had recently but I have had one issue that I can’t figure out that someone might be able to give me a solution.I like Ferris Wolf’s settings found here & they work, BUT after game play I find that they often revert to original settings.Now sometimes it could have something to do with me changing “in-game” Graphis settings, but often they seem to change if I do nothing.So what’s going on here? What can I do to stop this transition? Thanks!

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

It does this only when you enter graphics settings in-game. Calling up that menu is enough to trigger it. It's the only reason we know of 😉

This might have come up before, but if you're sick of Oculus Home using 30% GPU and a gig of RAM when you're not actively playing a game, Oculus Homeless could be for you:

Works great for me.

4 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It does this only when you enter graphics settings in-game. Calling up that menu is enough to trigger it. It's the only reason we know of 😉

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

507cdbc6fcca6e781f681367511e999d.jpg.gif

SvAF/F16_WhiteMoose

Im having a strange problem lately.

When I use the 3dmigoto zoom the buildings and obstacle on the ground do not get zoomed. The instead follow where Im looking up or down, small as they are printed in the same place where they was when I started the zoom.

The problem continues when I zoom to se if there are any planes on the ground on a distant airfield. In zoom the airfield appears blurry on I can't se nothing, when I use the in game zoom I can se buildings.

10 hours ago, WhiteMoose said:

Im having a strange problem lately.

When I use the 3dmigoto zoom the buildings and obstacle on the ground do not get zoomed. The instead follow where Im looking up or down, small as they are printed in the same place where they was when I started the zoom.

The problem continues when I zoom to se if there are any planes on the ground on a distant airfield. In zoom the airfield appears blurry on I can't se nothing, when I use the in game zoom I can se buildings.

Try the 3dmigoto thread below. Probably you are using an older version from before the update. We are now at v11.2

• Upvote 1

I have no 3D shader folders...are they part of the 3D Migoto mod? Should I add the newest version before re-doing the startup file?

SvAF/F16_WhiteMoose
On 2/13/2019 at 7:36 PM, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

Try the 3dmigoto thread below. Probably you are using an older version from before the update. We are now at v11.2

I Updated to the latest version but still got the same problem 

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

@WhiteMooseFor issues with the Mod you need to ask in the mod thread directly. This thread is meant for settings and serve as a good crosslink to his thread in the mod section as well. We cannot give support for individual problems, and in order to hold the flag high for lefuneste - he is short on time and doing this in his rare free time after work, when he got family and the little Sim-time to consider. ;) He stated again and again that he cannot give individual support as well. When there is even a small update he already spends lots of time on adjusting the mod to it free of any charge, which is something I'm utterly thankful for. I offered planes to him in the past and he refused.

To help you understand where this may be coming from: The problem is on your machine, but not on ours, which means something fudged in your rig. We wouldn't know how to help you, someone had to remote access your PC and find out what your mistake was to correct it for you. Maybe during installation, maybe on another part at another time. Please understand that the mod release is not a business, but solely a one-way street. It's provided and will work correctly if handled correctly. :) Anyway, best of luck to you in finding out what the issue is, seriously. Maybe some users in the thread can help you to attempt a clean installation.

@Blitzen There are 4 shader* folders

SvAF/F16_WhiteMoose
2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

@WhiteMooseFor issues with the Mod you need to ask in the mod thread directly. This thread is meant for settings and serve as a good crosslink to his thread in the mod section as well. We cannot give support for individual problems, and in order to hold the flag high for lefuneste - he is short on time and doing this in his rare free time after work, when he got family and the little Sim-time to consider. ;) He stated again and again that he cannot give individual support as well. When there is even a small update he already spends lots of time on adjusting the mod to it free of any charge, which is something I'm utterly thankful for. I offered planes to him in the past and he refused.

To help you understand where this may be coming from: The problem is on your machine, but not on ours, which means something fudged in your rig. We wouldn't know how to help you, someone had to remote access your PC and find out what your mistake was to correct it for you. Maybe during installation, maybe on another part at another time. Please understand that the mod release is not a business, but solely a one-way street. It's provided and will work correctly if handled correctly. :) Anyway, best of luck to you in finding out what the issue is, seriously. Maybe some users in the thread can help you to attempt a clean installation.

@Blitzen There are 4 shader* folders

He answered me so I ask agin? 

So I’ll ask on the other thread. Maybe somebody els Had the Samir problem and I can try to do the same thing as this hypothetical person...

For what it is worth, two items I linked to key commands which I find extremely useful. Saves some fumbling with the keyboard as it is really easy to find with the hands and frees up two buttons on the joystick...

1. Made left click in VR to auto re-center your view and....

2. Right click with mouse pauses the sim

I also have to side buttons and I’ve got assignments to those too. One is for letting the copilot take over (aka straight and level flight) and the other is for letting him do everything (AI assignment to aircraft). To keep it real I only use the straight and level key assignment if there is a co-pilot onboard and then not often. Think I might re-assign those two side buttons to something else as I don’t find myself using them at all that often. I like to be in charge.

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

For what it is worth, two items I linked to key commands which I find extremely useful. Saves some fumbling with the keyboard as it is really easy to find with the hands and frees up two buttons on the joystick...

1. Made left click in VR to auto re-center your view and....

2. Right click with mouse pauses the sim

I also have to side buttons and I’ve got assignments to those too. One is for letting the copilot take over (aka straight and level flight) and the other is for letting him do everything (AI assignment to aircraft). To keep it real I only use the straight and level key assignment if there is a co-pilot onboard and then not often. Think I might re-assign those two side buttons to something else as I don’t find myself using them at all that often. I like to be in charge.

I just have recenter and pause bound to my hotas. Works well.

My problems solved at last:

BUt I have no idea how to use Digmoto's installed Mod.do I drop it it MODs folder & access it thru JSGME or just drop parts into main game folder? I'm not sure how or where to do key binding to be able to use its various utilities- they don't seem to automatically apply?

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 2/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, Blitzen said:

My problems solved at last:

BUt I have no idea how to use Digmoto's installed Mod.do I drop it it MODs folder & access it thru JSGME or just drop parts into main game folder? I'm not sure how or where to do key binding to be able to use its various utilities- they don't seem to automatically apply?

No worries. How to install the mod is described in the mod's thread. As it may change from time to time, depending on versions (who knows), to be on the safe side go with the installation instruction by the mod creator.

Once you have done that, you can use the settings from this thread. Reverting to default is always possible. It is also described here what lines belong to which files, including their corresponding paths. 🤠

• 1 month later...
Coffee_Zombie77

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with a double image. (Samsung Odyssey Plus)

With Oculus Rift no problem. There is a problem only with the Odyssey

Help me please🙏

Edited by GiFFarD77_VR

18 hours ago, GiFFarD77_VR said:

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with a double image. (Samsung Odyssey Plus)

With Oculus Rift no problem. There is a problem only with the Odyssey

Help me please🙏

When using zoom from the mod? 

Hello Wolf,

Why would intel but that block AVX instructions on the i7 9700K. I have just purchased this CPU to upgrade for VR. It's not to late for me to cancel the order. Does changing the bios fix the issue?

Thanks for replying.

TWC_Piranha

On 4/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, EG1Apachesquirrel said:

I've also just got this for VR, along with a friend.   I second a lot of these points, especially the turret aiming.  I don't really sit at my desk so using the mouse is a no go, menus etc with hat switch would be great.

Running at two times super sampling with a GTX 1070 works fairly well, I've left the in game DRF at 1.0.  Similar to Elite dangerous, I have the Vive at 2x and the in-game stuff left at 1 or 0.8.

switching the HUD on and off is worth about 10FPS more.... although I turn it off for realism more than speed.

One thing I can't work with, the turret gun sights seem to be set up for your right eye.... I can't close my left one, so I'm having trouble aiming.  Is toggling this to the left possible??

Great game so far, and a better first VR implementation than many I've seen. 

you cant close your left eye? WTF! xD

On 4/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, TWC_Piranha2 said:

Hello Wolf,

Why would intel but that block AVX instructions on the i7 9700K. I have just purchased this CPU to upgrade for VR. It's not to late for me to cancel the order. Does changing the bios fix the issue?

Thanks for replying.

TWC_Piranha

AVX instructions are not blocked on any intel cpu. If it were nothing would run.

• Like 1

334th_Five-O

Ive been searching but can not seem to find an answer to help fix my HTC Vive Pro zoom issue. When using the 10x and 5x zoom function I get cross eyed, and see a mirror image of what im focusing on (so a pair of two Bf109's look like a formation of 4). If I close one eye I can somewhat make out what I'm looking at, but I lose some clarity when I do this.  I've also tried messing with the settings in the user_keymapping_zoom.ini  file but it doesnt seem to adjust anything. I'm a professional pilot in real life (so I should be able to figure this stuff out on my own), but god damn this VR stuff is complicated and extremely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*I do have 11.3 installed

Edited by Five-O

JonRedcorn
18 hours ago, Five-O said:

Ive been searching but can not seem to find an answer to help fix my HTC Vive Pro zoom issue. When using the 10x and 5x zoom function I get cross eyed, and see a mirror image of what im focusing on (so a pair of two Bf109's look like a formation of 4). If I close one eye I can somewhat make out what I'm looking at, but I lose some clarity when I do this.  I've also tried messing with the settings in the user_keymapping_zoom.ini  file but it doesnt seem to adjust anything. I'm a professional pilot in real life (so I should be able to figure this stuff out on my own), but god damn this VR stuff is complicated and extremely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*I do have 11.3 installed

There are multiple files with a VR headset name attached at the end, you need to rename the one for your headset as the proper file.

In the bin/usersettings folder you'll find the files. Remove the .vive from the end and rename the original file something else.

• Upvote 1

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.