VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

I started with the Rift myself. Then upgraded to the Odyssey, which was fantastically easier to setup and get running. All I do is put the headset on and then start SteamVR and IL-2.

I am really curious about the new propietary screens Samsung has in the Odyssey+, they remove the SDE. They aren't sharing this tech with Facebook or HTC, so the no-SDE tech will remain an Odyssey+ exclusive.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:29 AM, =X51=VC_ said:

I also tested a bit and settled on AA over SS. AA helps both spotting and ID, cockpit gauge reading and overall look of the game, with much lower performance impact than SS (for me, GTX 970). I think I'm using x4 at the moment, unless I decreased it.

Speaking strictly theoretically, SS would help you for reading the gauges I think because it is super sampling the resoultion of the gauge textures. AA would just remove aliasing on edges, and I'm not sure it applies to textures. Of course, my knowledge is limited and I am not an expert. I keep SSAO and HDR off in game and use 2x AA. 

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Properly around 7-8km. Depends on aircraft type and how he flies. If he shows his wings, anytime.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

On 9/20/2018 at 1:00 AM, 392FS_Jred said:

Some of it's still relevant, a bit is not, check the best spotting thread for better tips.

Some of it's still relevant, a bit is not, check the best spotting thread for better tips.

I have just recieved my Odyssey+ and would like to know which isn’t relevant, before going into a great VR-mess. 

another point I do have the non Steam game version, do I still should have an Steam registration and download that Steam VR, or can this be used without a Steam any account. 

Edited by Dutch2

9 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

I have just recieved my Odyssey+ and would like to know which isn’t relevant, before going into a great VR-mess. 

another point I do have the non Steam game version, do I still should have an Steam registration and download that Steam VR, or can this be used without a Steam any account. 

Steam VR is the officially supported runtime that 1CGS uses for IL-2.

You do have to have Steam installed to install Steam VR, but Steam does not have to be running to use Steam VR. IL-2 should launch in VR opening Steam VR when it launches.

This alternate method:

A few have used and seem to like. I myself prefer to just stick with Steam VR.

Edited by dburne

4 hours ago, dburne said:

This alternate method:

A few have used and seem to like. I myself prefer to just stick with Steam VR.

Uhh... That method is for Rift API -> OpenVR API. It only works for the Rift as far as I'm aware.

SCG_Redcloud111

Hey, Fenris. Used your settings. All works great. I am mostly at 90FPS. Activating 'motion smoothing' for my Odyssey+ sees it drop to 45 sometimes, but I really can't see any difference now. Thanks! Anyway, the only adjustment I've made with your suggestions concerns the 3Dmigoto mod. I actually set my y6 value for low zoom to 0.05. Not sure why that is different.

9 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

Uhh... That method is for Rift API -> OpenVR API. It only works for the Rift as far as I'm aware.

Ah sorry about that, did not catch that.

II./JG77_Manu*
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Properly around 7-8km. Depends on aircraft type and how he flies. If he shows his wings, anytime.

I use your settings pretty much copy/paste (apart from 1.5 instead of 1.6 in Steam VR SS) and the performance is very good, but I still have massive problems in spotting, compared to what I was used to on a screen. For me it's overly important at what angle I see a plane. It happened to me, that from one second to the next my squadmate 1km away just more or less vanished, because he was slightly adjusting his flightpath, while I could see him quite clearly before. I am also having massive problems when aircraft fly over trees, I don't see them properly until I am already too close (in the case of bombers).

All with the Rift. Do you have any idea to make those two aspects better? Does it make sense to go lower with SS or gamma?

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

You can put multisampling = 2  in the startup.cfg, in an older config I had it on just 1.

Remember that the VRzoom ingame does not work correctly. It stops rendering certain objects at ranges between 500m to 2km in winter. To test:

Go to QM -> winter map -> add truck convoy -> attack that truck convoy -> zoom in with ingame's VRzoom. Do this a few times, witness trucks disappearing, only their trails in the snow remain moving.

Gamma can be at 0.7 or 0.8 for the Rift, as too much will darken the scene too much. You can also enable HDR = 1 via the startup.cfg - it just takes some FPS and creates more brighter surfaces so you may get issues with light bleeding away from objects, so made it difficult to spot. Maybe it helps you better though? Make sure to not enter the graphics menu after this, as that would put bloom_enable = 1 automatically and increase glare/halo effect in the lenses.

For Odyssey users, I changed HDR = 1   (bloom_enable = 0  !!! Don't open graphics menu), because the AM-OLED screens of Samsung seem to be quite good with it.

• Thanks 1

Hi Fenris_Wolf

I was trying your setup last night and I have a few questions...... I got to this 

On 2/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

1) Set SteamVR SS in its Video section to manual override and 140% . Turn "1) Set SteamVR SS in its Video section to manual override and 140% . Turn "Advanced Supersample Filtering" off." off.

I set it to 140 but couldn't find an  "Advanced Supersample Filtering" setting in steam settings ...am I missing it? I did replace the graphic settings with your's in my IL2 folder (I don't have the steam version)

On 2/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

3) Using lefuneste's migoto VR mod, you need to go to %root game folder%\bin\game\users_settings\  and delete user_keymapping_zoom.ini and then rename user_keymapping_zoom.ini.odyssey to  user_keymapping_zoom.ini

Would I just leave the original user_keymapping_zoom.ini alone ....I'm assuming so as I'm using a Lenovo Explorer WMR so I have no Explorer dedicated zoom.ini 

Thanks for your time.....

Edited by HellCat_

12 hours ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

More SS means harder far distance spotting. Not sure about AA.

both algorithms share the same goal: add more rendered information to the initial image and then scale/output it to the appropriate screen resolution.

The SS works by creating a large image (larger than the output screen resolution allows), and then downscaling it to the output screen. Hence the distant 'object' in the initial image will appear smaller/use less pixels due to the higher initial resolution.

The AA (MSAA) relies on color manipulation around geometric shapes to produce an effect of smoothness. It can use either 2, 4 or 8 samples – the higher the sample count, the higher the quality and the performance impact. In other words MSAA tries to 'blend in' the jagged pixels of the distant object in to the surrounding pixels, which obviously impacts its recognition.

Edited by moosya
  • Thanks 1

1PL-Husar-1Esk

Guys I'm about to receive my Samsung  O+ , I'm on 1080ti , 4,8Ghz i7 6700K what would be the best SS and gfx setting to start with for competitive play in mind (if possible in VR) ? I do read that it's good to monitor cpu/gpu latency in ms and change settings to achieve <11 ms , correct?

7 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Guys I'm about to receive my Samsung  O+ , I'm on 1080ti , 4,8Ghz i7 6700K what would be the best SS and gfx setting to start with for competitive play in mind (if possible in VR) ? I do read that it's good to monitor cpu/gpu latency in ms and change settings to achieve <11 ms , correct?

I don't use SS even on the lower res Rift to help spotting. TBH I never noticed that SS makes that much difference in clarity. It's a bit clearer but cannot change physical resolution limitations of headsets.

19 hours ago, HellCat_ said:

"Advanced Supersample Filtering" off."

I finally found it  ...and I agree I didn't really notice much of a difference with it off either ...I thought I would.

Do you still recommend OTT?

Recently for some reason the clarity of aircraft has gotten worse using my Rift setup, and I'm not sure why.I've tried various recommended settings found in various posts in this category  ( it may be I've made some mistakes & mixed & matched somewhere along the line too..) in both Steam settings 7 OTT.I've tried with only OTT ,only Steam & both working at the same time, but the image quality remains somewhat "saw edged."

I'm thinking of starting again at ground zero & doing a game re-install. then what ? Use OTT or just the VR settings that show up in Steam VR settings?

I think I'm getting a Samsung headset for Christmas so I'm sure i'll be doing this again. Thanks!

( But I do have to say that the almost totally gone SDE is a welcome change!!)🧐

Edited by Blitzen
added info

2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Do you still recommend OTT?

Recently for some reason the clarity of aircraft has gotten worse using my Rift setup, and I'm not sure why.I've tried various recommended settings found in various posts in this catagory  ( it may be I've made some mistakes & mixed & matched somewhere along the line too..) in both Steam settings 7 OTT.I've tried with only OTT ,only Steam & both working at the same time, but the image quality remains somewhat "saw edged."

I'm thinking of starting again at ground zero & doing a game re-install. then what ? Use OTT or just the VR settings that show up in Steam VR settings?

I think I'm getting a Samsung headset for Christmas so I'm sure i'll be doing this again. Thanks!

I personally still only use the OTT.

I do know the last official version of it, has some bugs where sometimes a profile may not get applied. You can turn audio confirmation on, so you will hear if

a profile is being applied at game launch. I know he is working on it and is probably getting close to the next official release of OTT. I have been testing it some for him and it is looking pretty good at this point.

Steam VR - I don't set anything in it for my Rift, you definitely do not want to make settings in both. Use one or the other.

I set Steam VR to manual override at 100% resolution, then use OTT for my SS. After the last couple of IL-2 updates, I have upped my SS to 1.7.

Aloha-Snackbar

Can recommend for Odyssey/Odyssey+ to set:

"renderTargetScale" : 2.0

in the windows mixed reality for steamvr config file. It increases clarity for absolutely zero cost in performance.

https://imgur.com/a/qPfBp3g

the improvement is more noticeable at higher levels of supersampling.

Edited by Aloha-Snackbar
Formatting
  • Thanks 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi,

I switched back to sharpened filter, since it allows to orientate easier on TAW. It's more of a personal preference. Blurred still allows easier spotting against the ground indeed.

An aircraft coming from higher altitude, especially from direction of the sun, will always remain a surprise, no matter which settings you use. You can still see it, if you look into the right direction. I advice to fly with a wingman in combat spread, and scan your sectors, each for several seconds, then you go on to the next and remain there for a while. Good settings are no substitute for proper, thorough scanning, and a wingman. 👍

=SFG=capt_nasties

I just wanted to add that the HUD has a massive impact on FPS, for me at least.  Its a minimum of 30 fps anywhere near the ground or other aircraft.   I mapped a button on the joystick so I can quickly toggle it on and off and only now use HUD when I need it....being a novice I am still learning how to read gauges, identify planes ect.  

Does it seem strange to anyone else that the HUD has such a big impact?  On other titles (assetto corsa for example) my experience is that HUD / information on screen has a minimal impact on frame rates.  

50 minutes ago, capt_nasties said:

Does it seem strange to anyone else that the HUD has such a big impact?

It may seem strange, but in this title it's a known problem.

Fenris you sir are a genius, I don't know what you are changing in the startup config file but it makes the game A: look better, and B: spotting way easier, it was so clear it was weird.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 2:24 AM, Agathos_Deimon said:

Do not know why, but the Impact of the HUD on FPS seem to vary widely. On my old bottom end rig with a I5 2500 it had a huge Impact in the 15-25fps range, but on my new used rig with an i7 4790k the impact is so small i now keep it on all the time. Now the bottleneck seems to be somewhere else, as when FPS drop down below 60, disabling HUD shows no effect what so ever.

They have been working to try and minimize the impact the hud is having on performance, so that would make sense.

Just trying to follow the guide, and mostly done, must admit that I have grown a bit fed up of feeling like I'm always taken by surprise. Only thing that remains is to bind a joystick button to 5* or 10* zoom. This is not as intuitive to me, as the rest of the guide. Could someone give me some tips on how to use that joy2key thing or whatever it is called ? and thank you Fenris for this guide.

With some YT help, I was able to eventually figure it out, and what a difference 5 * Zoom makes !! TY !

Edit: I think something may be causing a memory leak. not sure if it is joy2key, or the other mod. Since making the changes I find that after a while, a period of hours, that the PC starts to stutter in IL2. if I'm on TS with my Wingman then his voice also gets a stutter at the same time. closing and relaunching IL2 isn't enough to clear the problem, I have to restart the PC.

Perhaps I should try restarting Joy2Key next time to see if that helps

Edited by =11=Herne
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 1:00 AM, 392FS_Jred said:

Now I know what you trying to say, only I think this whole topic is written only for one type of VR brand and not for the Odyssey. My advice for an Odyssey starter on VR, if using one of his hints, not everthing is wrong, write down exact what you did adjust and try to determine what the effect is. 

I’m using the €3,-  app from fpsVR it show all kinds of usefull performance facts onscreen, to determine on what I’m doing. Free but limited on VR, could be Afterburner. 

Edited by Dutch2

1PL-Husar-1Esk

Hello.
Guys I just got an Odyssey+ ,it is normal that almost all objects outlines are zigzagging, look like without any anti aliasing ? This look so bad that I would never play il-2 in VR if thats the case...

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Oh man, you should have a better image than that. I have a i7 8086k @ 4.7 and a gtx 1070 8Gb and don't have jagged edges.

Start with this as a base.

In Steam VR Settings>Video check the override box and move the slider to 150% (I think you said you had a 1080 or 1080ti) That's the only adjustment you need make for Steam.

In game I suggest Settings>Graphics>Gamma .08; Resolution 100%; AA 2X; Landscape detail Normal; Sharpen On; Draw distance 70.

You are almost ready. Open Windows Settings and you will see a group named Mixed Reality has been added when you downloaded the Windows Mixed Reality app. There you can make adjustments if you wish. Everything should be set to the Odyssey+ by default. In the Headset Display section you will see the IPD your headset is currently set at. When you turn the dial in front of your nose to move the lenses for fine tuning your vision these numbers will change accordingly. You will see a box under Experience Options for Change . Click that and make sure it is set to 90hz refresh rate.

When you start IL*2 WMR Home should start up. Just minimize it to the tool tray. You don't need it. You don't need the controllers either. If you want to shift control between desktop and the headset press Win+Y.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

1PL-Husar-1Esk

Yes , SS 200% helped with ground shimmering but FPS are weak , for example no VR all ultra at@3444x1440 fps >100 , in VR  with almost all to minimum - FPS are 45 - 80 max , but most time  during combat 45-55. (i7 6700@4.8GHZ & 1080 Ti)

First impression game look ugly and run like turtle. This gen 1.5 is not yet good enough for il-2 imho. What I really like is scale, 3D aiming and shooting but overall this is not enough to give up crisp 2D. 

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Was feeling the same when bought mine a few days ago.Some tweaks helped.

IPD the lowest possible number

SS less than 200, for some reason the more SS you put the worse it looks.

Mine now is looking very crisp and super smooth.

This is working for me.

Seam/Steamapps/Common/MixedrealityVRdriver/Resources/Setitngs

Some  values have been modified in the file, so copy/paste and try it.

{
    "driver_Holographic" : {
        "renderTargetScale" : 2.0
    },
        "driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
          "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// IPD offset setting : -0.035
        // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation
        //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
        // "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
        //     green      = off because application can render at full framerate
        //     light blue = on because application is cpu bound
        //     dark blue  = on because application is gpu bound
        //     red        = off because application running at less than half framerate
        // "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
        // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
        "thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false,
        "thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
        "thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
        "thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
    },
    "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
        "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
    }
}

1PL-Husar-1Esk

@II./JG77_motoadve you doubled render scale and enabled  motion reprojection. Latter gives you smooth gameplay but it gives strange results (distortion) - propeller, own wings ledges , fast moving contacts this what I observed. 

BTW it there any connection between render scale and SS in steamVR  ? 

Edited by 307_Tomcat

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.