LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Mission time

As a sucker for long flights the long mission time was THE one thing which got me attracted to this server in the first place. Whenever I join the server I look carefully on the progress as well as time to live (<tl) to get a feel for my options. With a sortie time of 40-60 minutes depending on the front-line as well as the situation

at the tank-bases where the capture of the last tank-base will change the map. The choice of two insted of three tank-bases makes a bomb-run on a factory a dicy choice. Especially if you get lost during the sortie.

The proximity of airfields

The short proximity we have between the tankbases and some of the airfields are killing my immersion.

Placing an airfield  within 10-20 km of the frontline sees reckless in my opinion.

It also seems to promote a lure for the action oriented pilot as well as a carelessness toward the materiel.

The "Personal Hangar" have countered this quite a bit, but we still see it.

Due to this, EAF standard approach to counter this is has often been to close the oppositions airfield ASAP, even if it wont be able to capture.

Which leads me to the lack of alternate airfields.

Lack of alternate airfields

Quite often we see maps where airfields where there are no way to go to a viable alternative airfield. When I write viable I mean airfields which can mutually support one another aka within 30-40km.

Often the chose we see is that the nearest airfield are over 60 km away. This makes it a really bad alternative whey your airfield is under attack.

Weather

There can be no doubt that some of the weather we see would cancel a sortie and keep planes grounded. 

Finding the enemy ground units can be a bitch, and combating AAA is almost impossible as they dont care a lot if it rain or snows. But I usually take the chance as I am not a fan of enemy fighters as I am a groundpunder. If you like a dogfight, you can always fly above clouds.

But with the server admins good work on the beacons, it is almost possible get home anyway....if you took a plane with a Directional Finder.

For most German aircraft's this is a standard piece of equipment. For US and Russian aircrafts this is a mod which add 50kg.

• Upvote 1

As some have reported that the stuttering has decreased after the update, we can test increasing number of tank battles taken to mission to 3. This will increase the overall mission length, and possibly add another available airfield as well to each side.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, LLv34_Untamo said:

As some have reported that the stuttering has decreased after the update, we can test increasing number of tank battles taken to mission to 3. This will increase the overall mission length, and possibly add another available airfield as well to each side.

I sounds sweet in my ears Untamo :biggrin:

EAF is allied squadron, but we do fly axis form time to time cos we enjoy all planes so we will continue to switch sides.

But it gets boring Red side winning all the time, one of the main reasons is;

-red pilots go often online when there is no much opposition or if there is usually axis pilots don't know how server mehanics work.

Overlord Temuri and Utanamo maybe you can introduce yourself as admins when server is populated and explain axis pilots how things work and tactics that can be used. 

Somehow, I doubt that will help Ribbon! Even when EAF flew, and Wellen and I were active, we couldn't turn back the VVS tide.

The combination of suitable aircraft for ground-pounding, simplicity in VVS aircraft operation and a complete inability for most German pilots to do anything productive will always result in red victory. It is boring, and it's very mundane when you see the same over, and over, and over again.

I've been thinking of switching to, and remaining, permanently red in an effort to kill off enjoyment for any and all blues.

Edited by Leifr

13 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Overlord Temuri and Utanamo maybe you can introduce yourself as admins when server is populated and explain axis pilots how things work and tactics that can be used. 

We've been discussing about making a video or some short howto with pictures about the logic. We just need the time for it :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

We've been discussing about making a video or some short howto with pictures about the logic. We just need the time for it :)

Good, if i can help somehow let me know!

8 hours ago, Leifr said:

Somehow, I doubt that will help Ribbon! Even when EAF flew, and Wellen and I were active, we couldn't turn back the VVS tide.

The combination of suitable aircraft for ground-pounding, simplicity in VVS aircraft operation and a complete inability for most German pilots to do anything productive will always result in red victory. It is boring, and it's very mundane when you see the same over, and over, and over again.

I've been thinking of switching to, and remaining, permanently red in an effort to kill off enjoyment for any and all blues.

Progression was static back than if i remember, Red didn't advance, Blue actually recaptured some airfields.

Well it was easier when we had fw190 for tankbases.

But main reason here is flying when there is no opposition which Red side do more often.

Ask Wellen how easily we progressed trought the map when we were only pilots on the server.

Y3s some ballance is needed to give equal ground pounding power.

I didn't fly for a while (business reasons) but last i remember axis had better tool for AAA while allies had il2 which basically alone can wipe out tankbase when AAA is destroyed.

It changes trought planesets so it needs to be careful there.

But again main reason is Red having more presence when there is no blue pilots online, how that could be solved i don't know, maybe rolling two independent maps, one during the time when both sides are populated and another one when server is empty.

It would look like some kind of campaign nights.

Since the logic is pretty much explained in the briefing already, I was thinking we might do a kind of "I'm a fighter pilot/ground pounder/transport pilot, how can I help my team?" -kind of approach for the instructions.

2 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

It would look like some kind of campaign nights.

This is pretty much the only way to ensure balanced battles. Would also promote cooperation inside teams.

1 hour ago, Leifr said:

You already have instructions, does it help?

2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Since the logic is pretty much explained in the briefing already, I was thinking we might do a kind of "I'm a fighter pilot/ground pounder/transport pilot, how can I help my team?" -kind of approach for the instructions.

This is pretty much the only way to ensure balanced battles. Would also promote cooperation inside teams.

As Leifr said i think no instructions will help, vids maybe even i doubt.

Those campaign nights might be best solution but being all connected on TS into few channels/wings with few leaders giving orders and explaining them what to do.

After few nights i think all pilots would know how things work and what tactics to use.

Also giving different task/roles, one wing go close airfield next time will go for tankbase and so on.

Putting things in use is the best way to learn.

S!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

7 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

As Leifr said i think no instructions will help, vids maybe even i doubt.

I was thinking about illustrated instructions for the more illiterate audience :) Videos would be cool too, but their maintenance is a pain in the ass if/when we end up changing something.

It's a given that on a campaign mission, we'd all need to be on the same TS.

Just now, LLv34_Temuri said:

I was thinking about illustrated instructions for the more illiterate audience :) Videos would be cool too, but their maintenance is a pain in the ass if/when we end up changing something.

It's a given that on a campaign mission, we'd all need to be on the same TS.

Yeah illustarted instructions would be great, much easier to learn from it than from vids.

Yes we would be on same TS divided into few channels with few guys giving orders or instructions, some kind of HQ for each side.

Similar to what we did in InWar campaign.

Again, having "campaign nights" would take us even further away from the casual approach. I'm not sure that I think the server should go down that path, but that's of course up to the server hosts.

On another note, the faster repair times are certainly mixing things up. Yesterday both sides were fighting for hours over a tank base, but it ended up fully repaired for both Red and Blue since no one bothered to take out the depots and factories right next to it. Meanwhile Blue had taken out the airfield close to the two other tank bases and therefore managed to start the battles on both, but failed to win them because they didn't follow up and make sure the tanks went through before the Red bases repaired.

It might be a bit too fast, but in general I like how it makes taking out depots and factories much more important than it used to be.

Also, did you implement the change we talked about so the closest factories/depots to the front line will be the ones activated? Before, the factories usually were on the far end of the map, but these last couple of days they seem to be much closer or even on the front line.

1 minute ago, Porky said:

On another note, the faster repair times are certainly mixing things up. Yesterday both sides were fighting for hours over a tank base, but it ended up fully repaired for both Red and Blue since no one bothered to take out the depots and factories right next to it. Meanwhile Blue had taken out the airfield close to the two other tank bases and therefore managed to start the battles on both, but failed to win them because they didn't follow up and make sure the tanks went through before the Red bases repaired.

It might be a bit too fast, but in general I like how it makes taking out depots and factories much more important than it used to be.

Also, did you implement the change we talked about so the closest factories/depots to the front line will be the ones activated? Before, the factories usually were on the far end of the map, but these last couple of days they seem to be much closer or even on the front line.

Hahaaa! The effect was like I wanted it to be then! :)

The factories have moved closer to the front line, because the rear factories have been bombed enough to be closed :) No change to logic yet.

I've had a recurring problem where labels (tank bases, depots, factories) do not appear in-game.

Anyone else?

7 hours ago, Leifr said:

I've had a recurring problem where labels (tank bases, depots, factories) do not appear in-game.

Anyone else?

Yes, it's most likely due to the resaver.exe being unusable now.

7 hours ago, Porky said:

Well, the radars don't seem to work for me.

2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Yes, it's most likely due to the resaver.exe being unusable now.

Hi Temuri

I have noticed in the Mission builder that you can set an aircraft type to Spotter.

What does a Spotter do?

1 hour ago, EAF_Starfire said:

I have noticed in the Mission builder that you can set an aircraft type to Spotter.

What does a Spotter do?

Spotter makes the object show nearby objects on the mission map. It's what we use for the airfield radars and the attacking tanks. 

• Thanks 1

Another little one...

Online track recordings do not seem to replay. I have made recordings on WoL and later played them back, but it seems that they do not work if made on Finnish. Any idea?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leifr said:

Another little one...

Online track recordings do not seem to replay. I have made recordings on WoL and later played them back, but it seems that they do not work if made on Finnish. Any idea?

Oh.  I made one on Finnish the other day and could not replay it.  I assumed it was a problem with the new update though I have tracks of exactly the same size that I made in the Career that work fine.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Hi,

A bunch of us are loving this server. One suggestion though. Could you make the missions a bit longer?  Like 120 -180 mins. We do long strategic bombing frequently and the short durations limit our choices of targets for multiple strikes. Tonight 5 of us were in the final seconds of a long range strike when the server flipped and booted us. 30 minute flight wasted.

Anway, this server is one of our favorites. Great work!!

:salute:

Skud

• Upvote 2

The misisons run six hours already :happy:

But they also flip over once all tank bases and potentially AFs captures are done, so that's probably what happened.

As in you got unlucky and there was a focused and successful attempt to win on either or both of the the two sides.

That being said, there used to be more TB per mission active but in order to try to prevent some of the lag (and crashes) it was reduced, effectively making missions shorter.

Is there something wrong with server tonight or what ? 5+ times I got this: 

RE4r4K.png

After second time I've started monitoring my net, but it seems just fine. No spikes, no unusual traffic on this side. It's so frustrating that I was getting kicked constantly. And to be fair I wasn't the only one, my buddies also got this every now and then tonight. 

22 hours ago, Leifr said:

Another little one...

I did a recording last week of a guy strafing me on the ground. When I tried to find the recording I found that only single player recordings and the recordings from EAFs own server seems to word.

:huh:

2 hours ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

Is there something wrong with server tonight or what ? 5+ times I got this: 

-

After second time I've started monitoring my net, but it seems just fine. No spikes, no unusual traffic on this side. It's so frustrating that I was getting kicked constantly. And to be fair I wasn't the only one, my buddies also got this every now and then tonight. 

I just got that as well now, never had it before... Really annoying, returning after a nice sortie...

EDIT: And it appears the server crashed(?)

Edited by Porky

Hi wellenbrecher

You're right and thanks for that explanation. I  went the the Finnish Server web page after I posted and was surprised to see 5hr and 26 min left on the server. The map rolled twice in under 3 hours for us. so I assumed it was auto rolling. I was getting mini stutters a lot last night. Have never had them before in this server. It may have been my vid card heat throttling.

btw, excuse my ignorance but what does the acronym "TB" refer to?

:salute:

Skud

Edited by ATAG_SKUD

7 hours ago, ATAG_SKUD said:

btw, excuse my ignorance but what does the acronym "TB" refer to?

Tank base.

Oh, and Wellen is right that the number of them was decreased a while ago, but they're up to three again due to the exact same issue you mentioned: missions were too short. Also, now tank bases get repaired much faster, so you need to keep the pressure on for it to stay down.

1.After updating 3.001, warehouses, factories, ...... can be destroyed by a machine gun. This must be corrected.
2. Only on your server I have a problem with FPS, although the cards here are without cities.

25 minutes ago, =SA=Semz said:

1.After updating 3.001, warehouses, factories, ...... can be destroyed by a machine gun. This must be corrected.

I can confirm that we did see a building destroyed by one of our fighters.   We assumed it was just 99% damaged by a bomb blast and he just added enough to finish it.   

Hi I  just found this server a couple of days ago. Great Server ! I get very bored of very quickly of Wings of Liberty and TAW is not running so now I found this I am very happy.

The instructions seem to say that loadouts are unrestricted but I can't put any bombs ona stuka at all.

Is this right? I can put 4x 250 kg bombs on a Ju 88 or 16x 50 kg bombs on a He 111 but no bombs on a stuka?!

I am actually happy that the giant bombs are restricted and prefer servers to have typical historical loadouts . I imagine Stuka would typically carry a 250kg and 50kgs  on the wings ?

How can I load this ? Can I load this? 

1 hour ago, =SA=Semz said:

2. Only on your server I have a problem with FPS, although the cards here are without cities.

1. Yes. Blacksix posted about the durability changes. We haven’t had time to correct them yet.

2. I guess this is because of the number of objects in the mission being higher.

47 minutes ago, DirtyRotnFlieger said:

Hi I  just found this server a couple of days ago. Great Server ! I get very bored of very quickly of Wings of Liberty and TAW is not running so now I found this I am very happy.

The instructions seem to say that loadouts are unrestricted but I can't put any bombs ona stuka at all.

Is this right? I can put 4x 250 kg bombs on a Ju 88 or 16x 50 kg bombs on a He 111 but no bombs on a stuka?!

I am actually happy that the giant bombs are restricted and prefer servers to have typical historical loadouts . I imagine Stuka would typically carry a 250kg and 50kgs  on the wings ?

I think this loadout issue came with 3.001 update. I need to check if it’s that or is there something else causing this.

Initially it looked like 3.001 brought the much needed stability, but it seems the server has started crashing again :(

2 hours ago, DirtyRotnFlieger said:

It's a bug, when that occur click again on airfield than again pick same plane and go customize your loadout.

• Upvote 1

The new respawn times are killing the immersion!

We where flying from Gzhatsk (F12).

Attacking the Blue Tankbase 1807 which was 30 km.

Nearest Blue depost d4 was 35 km….by aircraft. Ill say 45-55 on the roads.

So lets do some calculations:

Picking the right aircraft and loadout and spawning: 1-2 min (with the loadout bug and longer respawn time)

Spawning and taking off takes between 1 min and 3 min depending on an aircraft.

Flying direct to the target and climbing (which you don’t do with fightes around) takes 6-10 min depending on an aircraft.

Attacking groundtargets: 3-5 min

Returning from target takes another 6-10 min (damage?)

Total sortie time:   17-28 min

AAA respawn time: 5-30 min

Aircraft supply flights: 10-45 min depending on map and borders.

I have served my time in the army in a supply company and I cannot remember that we where able to find and pack the goods, load the trucks and driver 35 km on modern roads all in 30 min! Then the guys on the ground have to unpack the ammo and setup the AAA (so that it is level).

I know that this is a game, but since a lot of effort have been placed into making it historical, like rolling planeset, loadout restictions, etc. But with resupply times which could only done by  supply-troopers which acts like they have wings and on a planet without gravity tends to offset it. 

Anyway increase those resupply without giving the supply troops superman-like abilities?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Server up again. Please report if there are any funny things with the buildings durabilities.

Now bombs can barely destroy those buildings, 250 and 500kg bombs destroy only one building when dropped on depot settlement.

To close depot it takes 30×250m or 20x500m bombs dropped directly on buildings (not getting destroyed if dropped in proximity), in short one bomb per building.

Factory will be nightmare to destroy!

24 minutes ago, EAF_Starfire said:

The new respawn times are killing the immersion!

Short answer: Take out the depots first, always. You need to get it down to around 60 minutes or so, I believe.

The way I see it, the respawn/resupply shouldn't be considered something that is only initiated once something is destroyed, but rather as something that is always ongoing; also, being closer to a depot may mean you have more supplies in store on the front. Thinking of it that way your feeling of immersion won't be broken... If it didn't hamper server performance, supply lines with trucks and/or trains would be ideal to reinforce this, but currently that's just up to your imagination.

What the increased repair timer does effectively: finally taking out depots and factories is worthwhile! The other thing it does is to make it harder for the off-prime-time ground attackers to solo the whole map (*looking at the Red morning crews*).

That said, I managed to start a tank battle on my own this morning (since the repair time was about 65 minutes), so it's still possible, just a lot harder, which is good in my opinion.