=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

I have one suggestion for the server, and it is regarding aerial gunnery.

To not allow players to man gunner positions in bombers always has been a missed opportunity in my eyes. For long-term campaigns in which ground targets are key, you want the bomber craft to be enticing to play; they are the lifeblood of the campaign or at the very least the engines behind its progress (nothing against the fighter jocks, but you need bombers to have fighters make sense).

There are plenty of people out there who aren't necessarily the best of pilots, or who simply lack the confidence to go up in the air on a server that is about keeping aircraft whole and yourself alive while still contributing to the war. I know I have a friend or two who are familiar with some simple flight models in shooter games who wouldn't mind sitting in the back of my Pe-2 using their mouse to shoot some rounds, but who would be too intimidated by the chance of ruining limited material for other players. For these people it would be a nice introduction to the server, as it allows their pilot to introduce them to some important aspects of the game like spotting, navigation, and in the case of VoIP some simple flight and engine management things. 

Apart from enticing more new players it also offers the settled crowd some new opportunities for small-scale teamwork, as it is almost barely ever feasible to have enough bombers to group up for large scale runs (exemptions do apply). In the long run there's a chance gunners become acquainted with the server's game-mode to such a degree that they switch to active flight.

Now, ideally (and I suspect this was the reason for not allowing it in the first place) you don't want pilots to swap to gunner seats; not as a choice of play as it reduces the amount of active aircraft on the short-term, and definitely not during flight in the sense of engaging auto-level, doing the switcheroo, and spraying away at bogeys... but I think that with some tinkering with the implementation that could be prevented, especially the in-flight pilot-gunner switch. Simply not allowing it by rules goes a long way - isn't that the only thing that's keeping people from going gunner at all at this point?

Perhaps it's even a point of implementation for the game-mechanics to have a gunner spot as a limited resource just like particular aircraft, so that you only want to spend your gunnery point on a bomber pilot you trust, and/or to have people prioritise gunnery when they apply for a campaign, just like they pick fighters, bombers or both right now.

Anyways, just my two cents  :salute: . I'm fond enough of the server to keep flying regardless.

• Upvote 2

The latest page of posts really make me wonder about my unanswered question. Is the hardcore realist part of this community not big enough or consistent enought to support this server and other servers like it.

The most popular servers are the hardcore ones. WOL, DED-Expert and TAW ( and Berloga). WOL just have GPS and kill notification. They don't make him, much, less hardcore.

Actually WOL is more realistic in a special way. Like in real war, the action of few people have little influence on the outcome. I TAW you can feel that you have influence on the outcome. Which is false in real war.

Edited by bald_eagle

Sorry Tuesday ... 

Exactly the same???

U mean reds any time leave the battle because lose 4 maps??? and because reds leave battle rules need be changed because its imposible play ?? and after change rules, reds come again for play alone?? yes??? this succes before???

sorry then..

I say on all places are the same... if i no win , i no play ( reds an blues )

Awesome and hilarious video, HvB.  You hit the money (tank) on the head I think.  Having spent a gazillion hours on this server, I'm starting to learn a few tricks as well, and am enjoying the sense of progress with persistent flying.  Many thanks to the  server creators, and hopefully with the changes you suggest the campaign with be even better next time.                                   

• Upvote 2

-snip-

To not allow players to man gunner positions in bombers always has been a missed opportunity in my eyes.

-snip-

Does that mean you're volunteering to take a ride in the back of my definitely doomed Ju87 for 40+ minutes?

• Upvote 1

Does that mean you're volunteering to take a ride in the back of my definitely doomed Ju87 for 40+ minutes?

If I wasn't on the Soviet side this campaign, I would :) I always enjoyed being a gunner, and I definitely wouldn't mind investing 40+ minutes in more teamplay, especially if VoIP is involved; two sets of eyes see more than one.

• Upvote 1

Put this together a few days back when we were on map 5. Probably speaking the obvious to many, but this has been my experience. Trigger Alert: not for thin-skinned, PC types. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrViNSMBXoo

This guy! This guy gets it. Everyone should watch this video and listen to this man. Well done. Bravo!

• Upvote 2

Put this together a few days back when we were on map 5. Probably speaking the obvious to many, but this has been my experience. Trigger Alert: not for thin-skinned, PC types. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrViNSMBXoo

First off, awesome video. Lots of time went into the content and editing, and it's much appreciated. An easy and fun watch.

Second, great advice. You really explained your point well and it was all very well thought out. Great tutorial for other Axis as well.

I agree with you on every point you made

• Upvote 2

Sorry Tuesday ... 

Exactly the same???

U mean reds any time leave the battle because lose 4 maps??? and because reds leave battle rules need be changed because its imposible play ?? and after change rules, reds come again for play alone?? yes??? this succes before???

sorry then..

They introduced quorum and Red side was not able to take the map overnight, so Reds quit.  Took away quorum and mostly only Blues left playing so now the map goes Blue. 

I say on all places are the same... if i no win , i no play ( reds an blues )

And that mindset is what kills the game.  Blue players kept showing up after we lost 20 maps in a row, but you quit when you lose one map because you can't capture it uncontested overnight? 

You shouldn't play Blue if losing makes you quit that easily! 

Sorry Tumu but I don't think we are ever going to agree here, you obviously have a very different idea than I do of what is going on here. 

Uhm..... On the rules tab is says that map #7 and plus are Stalingrad_Center, but instead we are playing on the Moscow map ? Was that intended or just a bug ?

Why the blue are stomping? And what can be done?

First off all it's not the blue or red players and teams. Most player are playing both sides. I am as lonely on the red teamspeak in this campaign as i was on the blue TS in the previous campaign.

The main problem is the red dominance in ground attacker. The problem exist on all servers. But on other servers nobody cares who win and it is all about personal achievements. On a server that is based on team achievement the fact that one team has advantage is a problem.

IL-2 and Pe-2 are straight up better than Ju-87 and Bf-110. The 111 and 88 are less relevant on a “Tactical” setting. The slight advantage the blue side has with fighter is not enough to give them equality.

This is not a simple problem to solve. Some obvious solution will not work:

1. Giving more weight to “strategic” targets ( like depots and HQ ) will Just make the blue side win all the time ( they have advantage both in high alt fighter and heavy bombers). Also, it will be a slower gameplay. I think it was tried on the random-expert server.

2. Making AAA weaker. Looks like it will help the blue attackers. But it will help the reds more. Right now only pe-2 can attack alone, barely, a defence or tank column. And it can do only 1 pass. If the AAA will be weaker, first the IL-2 will be able to work alone on enemy position. On any level of AAA above null the blue will suffer more due to their more fragile aircrafts.

3. Adding tanks. Much more data is needed from other servers to see how tanks integrates in this game. TAW is not the right place for the test. As long as tanks are not available in SP they shouldn’t be tried on “serious” servers.

What to do?

I think that the “Elephant in the room” is the Pe-2. From my experience the biggest “game breaker” is the ability of the pe-2 to work alone against defence position and tank column. The blue side must work together to suppress the AAA before they can clean up. While individual attacker on the red side can suppress the AAA with reasonable danger.

What should be done?

1. Make the Pe-2 available only from backline airfields that don’t have enemy target within 70Km (if such are available). It is a bomber. It shouldn’t be used from “tactical” airfield. The same can be done for the 111 and 88 (it's practically done by their pilot now ).

2. Give its gunner some vodka ( if possible ).

3. Make it available only at 0/2 or even 0/1. Anyway it never dies. So at least it should be worked for :). And on the first map it shouldn’t be available.

4. Give the blue team plenty of 110 from the beginning.

I fly both side. In this campaign i fly the red team and happily abuse the pe-2. In reality I like my side to have a huge advantage. But in training ,and in games, I like my side to be only slightly better than the enemy.

Completely agree. Is so important to have more available 110 and ju88 as the main attackers. And also only people with BOM can use that planes. 

What happens with red victory is that the planeset fits better with the online experience we have. I really think that the german planeset is better but it requires a lot of time to prepare the attack, a lot of team coordination, time to climb, more or less qualified pilots etc. And with the red side you can just take off, going to the target and take profit that other players will be on the same area than you. Red planes were think for that so you can fly even with no coordination, but a lonely german pilot can´t do the same because he is dead if he goes low to fight against reds. 

Also new players use to chose german side. They think that is easier because the fighters are faster and have automatic management  but we can see how in the game is the oposite, you just have to put 50% radiators, max rpm and full power and you can fly as a klimov and if you want to take the max on the 109 you have to deal with the time limits, trim, manual pitch, and manual radiators on a dive. Im not sayig that is correct or not, is just consecuence of the more simple management we have on the game comparing the real situation like in DCS etc. where the reds does not have to use +10 controls to change the stage on the supercharger. If you take that details and add others like the HE 20mm problems, the OP rear gunners on the P2 with the strange blown ups with one or two shots, The indestructible pneumatic system on the russian flaps, The 0 trim behaviour on some planes... there you have that you need to be an ace to do something flying germans.

So for me is important to take profit of the german planeset we have and taking care with the balance options:

Now with the JU52 the german side has some advantage making suplies if they allow the paratroopers. Is that bad to have this advantage? German side has no IL2 or P2 and that planes are not forbiden. Laggs with the 23 can also destroy tanks and they are not forbiden and i for me is ok. But we see how now reds will ask for a balance solution for the Ju52 or as we have now, motoriced colums with german 20mm on the red side to solve the lack of an efective motoriced AA that the soviets hadn´t so...  also was not the red army doctrine to have AA on their colums...

So for me is important to have at least more 110 and Ju88s they were no rare planes and they can do a similar job (not as good) as the P2.

Edited by E69_geramos109

To server admins: Dude is right. Why all the tanks of the same type? Why not a mix of various types? Why not halftracks, and armored cars? You know, the kinds of things you would see in a armored company moving to an area. 

Also, why the "state fair" layout of the defenses? Why not artillery batteries and other kinds of targets? I assume technical limitations are a problem but maybe with dx11 not so much?

To server admins: Dude is right. Why all the tanks of the same type? Why not a mix of various types? Why not halftracks, and armored cars? You know, the kinds of things you would see in a armored company moving to an area. 

Also, why the "state fair" layout of the defenses? Why not artillery batteries and other kinds of targets? I assume technical limitations are a problem but maybe with dx11 not so much?

We're working on brand new campaign. There will be new vehicles in columns, new defence, new targets etc.

• Upvote 3

We're working on brand new campaign. There will be new vehicles in columns, new defence, new targets etc.

Is there an ETA? I'm excited!

S!

I made a mistake when signing up for TAW, my squad is flying Allied I checked German. Would the admin please move me over to German so I could fly with my Squad mates.

Thanks.

AKA_DerHuntere

Hi!

I tried to register, but all I'm getting on your page is "Connection failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '146.0.32.24' (146)", except rules page.

:(

Dear Pilots!
The Fifth Season of tactical Air War is behind us.
We will remember it as the season of new ideas, changes and interesting forum discussions. Some ideas were better, the second ones - worse. The most important thing that we have learned the appropriate conclusions that will allow us to improve the performance of our "Little War" in future. Next season will bring many changes and features. We will inform you constatnly by forum. Enjoy the oncoming TAW Season VI.
And now Diplomas, and Medal Boxes for the best of you.

BEST FIGHTER PILOTS

15822807_1730693947241919_48742949738729

15823050_1730693940575253_53872196956295

15826215_1730693980575249_19226951885427

15871448_1730693943908586_91015226239423

15823252_1730694000575247_60491480027979

15825868_1730693990575248_49579966820637

15781796_1730694050575242_29624187388547

15825895_1730694027241911_77760728221053

15781120_1730694070575240_30181526035596

15871732_1730694060575241_48151542310554

Edited by =L/R=Piciu
  • Upvote 2

BEST FIGHTER SQUARDONS

15241784_1730695863908394_20447804881623

15871637_1730695853908395_79648212134680

15826044_1730695857241728_47791637234417

15780771_1730695910575056_52287859893144

15822802_1730695937241720_25366645340918

BEST BOMBER SQUADRONS

15894747_1730696363908344_56017415619928

15823345_1730696367241677_38865625375945

15894363_1730696370575010_42956415032893

15781806_1730696463908334_71134834136610

15871851_1730696470575000_73128822446319

Edited by =L/R=Piciu
  • Upvote 1

while it sounds great..

How do you lot navigate ingame properly

I tried to spot a distant landmark to navigate by but my game must be bugged.

All i see is low quality Horizon without definition and no way to ID long range landmarks.
Flying by those landmarks under the plane is just silly ..

Is there any way? to improve this super low quality distant terrain (my slider already on X4, i tried to alter config and set it to 8x 6x but nothing else works.

while it sounds great..

All i see is low quality Horizon without definition and no way to ID long range landmarks.

Is there any way? to improve this super low quality distant terrain (my slider already on X4, i tried to alter config and set it to 8x 6x but nothing else works.

Why it's silly to navigate with close landmarks? Just use rivers, lakes, towns, roads, woods below you, spot them on the map, use your compass and here we go.

1-3 days of practise and you can show off your navigations skills to your friends. 

• Upvote 2

while it sounds great..

Have a look here, This should help you with your problem 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/23699-make-il-2-look-stunning-improved-ground-detail-and-visibilit/?p=368699

BlackHellHound1

:)

Thx for campaign Admins.  As always for me was a pleasure participate.

Salute Ramm, this time I was lucky for  campaing end . Die its only a time question ,  in front  are some really good enemies 

I read are planned some changes for next edition, sounds very good, TAW its always on progress. Thx again,

Edited by RedEye_Tumu

while it sounds great..

Speed in Km / Minute - Eg 420kph = 7 km per minute

Estimate distance with Grid Squares - times 1.4 for 45 deg diagonals

Time - All aircraft have a clock. Note time at know location. Distance divided by Km per minute = Time, Add this time to the noted time

Keep heading

Two minutes to go, look for next waypoint or target.

Clock Map Ground - Is it time, what should I see from Map, What can I see outside

Finally remember "ish" is good. So heading is 240ish, speed is 420ish ("ish" = Approximately). The idea of navigation is only to get your eyes onto the waypoint / target. Then "See it. Fly to it"

I can teach this stuff, and also headings to allow for drift too, if required.

• Upvote 1

:)

Thx for campaign Admins. As always for me was a pleasure participate.

Salute Ramm, this time I was lucky for campaing end . Die its only a time question , in front are some really good enemies

I read are planned some changes for next edition, sounds very good, TAW its always on progress. Thx again,

Enhorabuena Tumu. Kiler Edited by E69_chopo

As a suggestion for next campaign, objectives with more targets but only requiring 80% or so to destroy. 

Reasoning - allows level bombing to come into play a bit more rather than dive bombing and is a bit more realistic.  I only ended up level bombing with the Pe-2 once in the campaign since it just makes more sense to dive bomb when you have to destroy every last building in the defenses.

It is also frustrating at times doing low passes to search for a single net that has an AT gun in it when in reality the target is kaput.  You can have 3 or 4 people tied up for a few minutes just searching for one truly irrelevant item in the big scheme of things.  

• Upvote 3

Thanks again to all the game admins and salute to our VVS comrades!

See you next campaign!

• Upvote 1

Thank you admins, and conguratulations to the VVS.  We think this is the best servere in the BOS

Last campain we quitted becasue of the quorum limit, although you ajust the rules at last, but lots of people lost their passion

Anyway, we still support you, and prepare for the new campain, hope you guys doing better and better.

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

As a suggestion for next campaign, objectives with more targets but only requiring 80% or so to destroy.

Reasoning - allows level bombing to come into play a bit more rather than dive bombing and is a bit more realistic. I only ended up level bombing with the Pe-2 once in the campaign since it just makes more sense to dive bomb when you have to destroy every last building in the defenses.

It is also frustrating at times doing low passes to search for a single net that has an AT gun in it when in reality the target is kaput. You can have 3 or 4 people tied up for a few minutes just searching for one truly irrelevant item in the big scheme of things.

This is great idea ,maybe not for convoys but for all others targets it is. Btw thanks for last war and see you in next.