=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Oh, they said to my squad that they prefer "quality to quantity"! So now 10 players are playing, as I predicted 1 month ago! I was just asking a more realistic AAA, nothing about planesets that we liked (exept the 1st map on moscow) or quorum sistem but the only answer I received was rudeness saying that we are not good enough to play here. Yes, infact with only 8 pilots flying we are 12-15th squad on RE.

Oh, they said to my squad that they prefer "quality to quantity"! So now 10 players are playing, as I predicted 1 month ago! I was just asking a more realistic AAA, nothing about planesets that we liked (exept the 1st map on moscow) or quorum sistem but the only answer I received was rudeness saying that we are not good enough to play here. Yes, infact with only 8 pilots flying we are 12-15th squad on RE.

You are nothing short of a genius!

• Upvote 4

Why no have quorum rule ?

It was removed because it encourage people not to connect. Here are some scenarios:

1. there are few enemy on the server. Better for me not to connect and then this round will not count.

2. There aren't enough player on line. My effort will be wasted. No reason to connect.

Theoretically a coalition balancer will be nice. But in actuality it will punish those who wont to play. 

Please don't sacrafice realism for the masses. They have 20 other servers to pick from. As the less experienced begin to expand thier capabilities, they should naturally progress to a place like this.

I'd like to see all icons off period. Force people to read the darn aircraft instrumentation. Nothing beats flying with someone random on TS and having his mind explode when I say "my power is set a 10 man and 2600 rpm and he's asking about percentages. Great server, please don't cave to the masses when you know what YOU want for the server.

• Upvote 5

Same here Banzaii,

I dream of the day turning off the technochat is a server side setting,

then my friend this really will be a flight simulator.....

Having to watch the temps, revs, mixture and prop pitch,

Looking at the lights to make sure the wheels are up, keeping an eye on the fuel gauge, changing the supercharger, putting the flaps up, its all part of the 'flying' experience.

So beautifully modeled in game, but somehow overlooked by so many because of the text/icons.

• Upvote 3

Please don't sacrafice realism for the masses. They have 20 other servers to pick from. As the less experienced begin to expand thier capabilities, they should naturally progress to a place like this.

I'd like to see all icons off period. Force people to read the darn aircraft instrumentation. Nothing beats flying with someone random on TS and having his mind explode when I say "my power is set a 10 man and 2600 rpm and he's asking about percentages. Great server, please don't cave to the masses when you know what YOU want for the server.

+1

Friends.

Please , back rule of quorum.  

If no have enought players, close edition.....  This week , reds lost the map.... all the day are some blues doing bomb runs and playing. practically alone ...  ¿ What i have to do??   Join alone for try stop 1 or 2 bombers along the map????

Yes we have some players now... but no have competition.

Thx

Friends.

Please , back rule of quorum.  

If no have enought players, close edition.....  This week , reds lost the map.... all the day are some blues doing bomb runs and playing. practically alone ...  ¿ What i have to do??   Join alone for try stop 1 or 2 bombers along the map????

Yes we have some players now... but no have competition.

Thx

No no no. Player who are playing shouldn't be punished! Few player on the blue side worked hard to advance their side. They should be rewarded with a win.

What should a outnumber red player do?

You have few options. If you are good fighter pilot you can take the Lagg3 and try to defend the red defence positions. Worst case, you will lose the plane that you get for free each round.

If you prefer bombing you can level bomb the blue depots. It will weaken their tanks column and give a chance to the red defence.

Buy just logging on you encourage other to join.

The quorum is the main reason the server is empty ( with decent help from the red plane set supremacy ). Now that the blue have a great competitive plane set and no quorum, there is no reason not to see the return of TAW ( except from the annoying web site problem :\)

• Upvote 3

No no no. Player who are playing shouldn't be punished! Few player on the blue side worked hard to advance their side. They should be rewarded with a win.

What should a outnumber red player do?

You have few options. If you are good fighter pilot you can take the Lagg3 and try to defend the red defence positions. Worst case, you will lose the plane that you get for free each round.

If you prefer bombing you can level bomb the blue depots. It will weaken their tanks column and give a chance to the red defence.

Buy just logging on you encourage other to join.

The quorum is the main reason the server is empty ( with decent help from the red plane set supremacy ). Now that the blue have a great competitive plane set and no quorum, there is no reason not to see the return of TAW ( except from the annoying web site problem :\)

+1

• Upvote 1

Friends.   Please , back rule of quorum.     If no have enought players, close edition.....  This week , reds lost the map.... all the day are some blues doing bomb runs and playing. practically alone ...  ¿ What i have to do??   Join alone for try stop 1 or 2 bombers along the map???? Yes we have some players now... but no have competition.   Thx

Reds did that all the time and they won 4 maps in a row. Why when red does that is ok and when blue does that, its not ok ? 

The quorum and the BoM planeset pratically killed the server. I liked the bom planes, but most people dont have the Moscow edition; in my squadron only me and another 1 or 2 have it. The result was that they stopped flying TAW and went to other servers.

• Upvote 1

simply staiger, because  not its the same .

red DO WHIT quorum rule mate.

Edited by RedEye_Tumu

I undestand u Bald_eagle , of course always u can do something , thx for your answer and time. 

The main reasson for the server its empty, sorry mate, not  its the quorum.   Quorum was needed for evitate a lonly players wins maps flying alone ( like now succes ) , the reasson its one of two sides lost the first 4 maps and dont want play for lose ( is logical, no criticism here )  . Reassons for lose 4 consecutive maps are another question.

Edited by RedEye_Tumu

The main reasson for the server its empty, sorry mate, not  its the quorum.   Quorum was needed for evitate a lonly players wins maps flying alone ( like now succes ) , the reasson its one of two sides lost the first 4 maps and dont want play for lose ( is logical, no criticism here )  . Reassons for lose 4 consecutive maps are another question.

Well, nobody actually knows why the server is empty. Maybe its not related to the quorum. But, the first, second and third rule of game design is: "Thou shalt not punish those that want to play!!!".

The fact that I made this rule just now doesn't render it false.

The quorum punishes the player who logon to the server to play for their side. And thus it should be banished!

))

but.... what kind of game we want?? ... for fight vs nobody people have offline . I always think TAW its a online campaing, and for this both sides need players , no sense fly alone ... or fly  1 vs 5 or 5 vs 0.... the fact i , after all, now server have some players online, for that happens, rules have  be changed, for me TAW lost part of her essence. 

We will see what happens on next edition.

I hope the best for this server.

By the way. All the previous campaigns on TAW were great success. Despite the fact that on all of them there was a balance problem. On the first two the advantage was for the blue side. And in the last two the advantage, and victory, was to the red side. There were people who complain on plain set ( that were worst then they are on this campaign ) but the server was full in prime time.

The main change in this iteration of TAW is the quorum. So believing that it is a prime reason to the problem is reasonable.

The quorum was removed just a few days ago. So lets hope it will improve the current campaign. And not just the next.

As a bomber pilot,the quorum was a game breaker for me, 

Bombing the same def line 3-4 times and hope for quorum was just a pain, and if you waited for quorum you dint have 45min to make a bomb run left on the server, so i did leave and started bombing stuff on Random there we did earn point for the squad even if we didn't win the objective.

But i do like the cat and mouse game play of 2vs2, you see a fighter spawning in close to your objective just after take of knowing he is hunting you, or attacking a dummy target so the defenders will leave your main objective so you can get time to straffe it.

What ever Kathon does, some of us will like it others will not. 

• Upvote 2

I will always fly on this server,

as for me it offers the most realistic experience.

whether or not there is any opposition, as long as there are Targets, i mean by that things that will influence the outcome of a Map i will fly it......

Quorum robbed us of this, and i for one am glad it has been scrapped.

Maybe a few more targets of opportunity, trains etc (or maybe even player operated tanks) could be included to keep us busy when there are no opposition pilots in game.

I've long believed that 'boots on the ground' should be the only thing that captures enemy positions, (just as in real life) and i hope one day this may be incorporated into this server.

I certainly have quite a few ideas that may help in this respect.

But its not my server!!

So i will just say "Keep up the good work" Kathon and the rest of the LG guys.

And may i wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• Upvote 4

The servers will never always be full, especially on TAW where most people will avoid it for the simple fact that they won't have GPS and needing 3 whole successful missions

False. An other server don't use gps and it's often full around 70% of WoP (so very very more as TaW), sometime ~ equal as WoP. The problem for many it's supply fly. Those flights exist too on this other server but by easier way. Those flights like now sink the server.

False. An other server don't use gps and it's often full around 70% of WoP (so very very more as TaW), sometime ~ equal as WoP. The problem for many it's supply fly. Those flights exist too on this other server but by easier way. Those flights like now sink the server.

False :). The plane set was more restrictive in previous campaigns. People complain but the server was full. Now you have a fighter and a bomber/attacker each round. The plane set is part of the charm of TAW. It make people play more cautiously. Which is more realistic.

Could it be a community problem vs a server problem? Community in the sense that there are not enough expert/hardcore/realistic players to keep a server like this populated consistently? This wouldn't be bad thing, just unfortunate for those who like this type of gameplay.Just a thought as no one seems to agree on the server anyways.

Edited by Banzaii
  • Upvote 1

False :). The plane set was more restrictive in previous campaigns. People complain but the server was full. Now you have a fighter and a bomber/attacker each round. The plane set is part of the charm of TAW. It make people play more cautiously. Which is more realistic.

False again :lol: . The planet is less restrictive than before but too much again and the server was never full or so rarely. The AA is fancyful too, solo jabos are dead before take off  (the AA barrels was not enough long for several dozens painting circles, you agree? ;) ). It's when the campaign starts so when peoples are not confronted immediatly at this problem. After few supply flights, it's the general escape, only few irreducibles staying (I didn't say the masochists) :P  So the server just survives with only a fistful of guys.

I do like so many others (I talking about this with many) : at first supply flight forced, I leave the server and come back one evening at the new campaign... or not. That's very simple : if rules must exist with a little bit restrictions, when the restrictions are the rule, pilots leave.

Edited by Kleinen

Quorum was a very bad idea in my opinion. I and many of my friends stopped flying here for this reason. Quorum is not present and I fly again.

• Upvote 1

...and the server was never full or so rarely....

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/21029-tactical-air-war/?p=387795

The server was full every prime time in this week of the September campaign:

post-24105-0-87141700-1473621635.png

...at first supply flight forced...

By the way. I don't think you understand the (quit  simple) rules of this server. There are no forced supply flight. Where did you get this idea?

You always get  some plane ( one fighter and one attacker ). And to get more you just have to fly combat mission. 

Avg = average no...? And it's a count for 1 week...

Other graphics exist :

pilots_taw_7d.png

And for fun, edit the count for this month plz ;)

Edited by Kleinen

It is from September. We all know the server is quite empty in the last few weeks. You can see the current stats here:

http://www.thewetbandits.org/smf/index.php?topic=285.0

And seriously, If the server is not for you liking its totally OK. If you do not like the AA and the plane set you can play on WOL or DED Expert. It is better that we have a choice of different servers. And not just copy of the same server.

Sure, it' what I do like many. But so it's not surprising that TaW it's almost all time the desert war :biggrin:   You make a sin of pride ;) The other servers that you talking about are not easier (WoL maybe a few but just because GPS on), they are even rather more dangerous, especially for the attackers.

Adding a number of restrictions is probably also a way for guys to put themself a crown for cheap on the head and thinking '' I fly on the most restrictive server, so I'm a pilot among the best '' (I realy know some thinking like this) :) This is false of course.

Tonight I flew 2 or 3 time on TaW since ... very long time. I saw hunters letting the enemy attackers do the job ... They turned around but didn't attack them! I know why : gunner and maybe afraid about a possible cover (not saw). It's a no sense IMO.

Edited by Kleinen

Tonight I flew 2 or 3 time on TaW since ... very long time. I saw hunters letting the enemy attackers do the job ... They turned around but didn't attack them! I know why : gunner and maybe afraid about a possible cover (not saw). It's a no sense IMO.

"Since ... very long time". Cheers...

Yes. Which is one of the "issues" with the german side, in that most german planes have automated controls. Therefore a much larger proportion of the german than russian side are inexperienced, which is one factor why the germans usually lose I think.

Kai, I could see that, but CEM isn't exactly that hard. Heck most of the CEM work revolves around taxi, takeoff, and enroute. I think the inexperienced pilots go German because they're a bit easier to fly and boom & zoom is easier.

I think the inexperienced pilots go German because they're a bit easier to fly and boom & zoom is easier.

I dont think thats the case. If it were, you wouldnt see 109s turning and turning against the russians...

The latest page of posts really make me wonder about my unanswered question. Is the hardcore realist part of this community not big enough or consistent enought to support this server and other servers like it.

Edited by Banzaii

))

all solved, whitout quorum rule,  game balanced..... blues win maps again.

:salute:

So the same thing Red did for a couple campaigns?  God forbid that Blue wins a single map or two out of the past ~20ish maps...

Better buff the AAA even more so the German attackers are even more useless.

I hope it is a language thing that creates a misunderstanding between us. 

• Upvote 2

The latest page of posts really make me wonder about my unanswered question. Is the hardcore realist part of this community not big enough or consistent enought to support this server and other servers like it.

Combination of this mixed with the fact that even "hardcore realist" players want high player count just as bad as "hardcore realism". There's just always more planes to shoot at on other servers, and since most "hardcore realist" players tend to fly fighters, that's where you'll find them when they're not in TAW