=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Server is still not showing.

We are moving TAW to the brand new faster server. We have to install and configure database, script, web server etc. Meantime I'm adding and testing new features but it takes more and more time because the script gets more and more complex. Please be patience :)

• Upvote 9

Not sure if that was suggested before, however: Can you implement a "round-will-end"-warning, please? Currently you either have the choice to tab out (which is since the latest update a bit annoying) or look at your phone.

Not sure if that was suggested before, however: Can you implement a "round-will-end"-warning, please? Currently you either have the choice to tab out (which is since the latest update a bit annoying) or look at your phone.

Yeah, I'd second this, if it's not a pain in the ass haha

that picture reminds me..

what do you get for killing those in chutes?
I was nicely falling in my shoot when a plane passed through my player and he died hanging there from chute at 1,000m like a sack of spuds

that picture reminds me..

what do you get for killing those in chutes?

I was nicely falling in my shoot when a plane passed through my player and he died hanging there from chute at 1,000m like a sack of spuds

In most servers, nothing. But in TAW, killing enough enemy pilots is a way to win (although I don't think victory has been achieved in that way yet). It also keeps the pilot grounded for a 5min death penalty and is detrimental to their stats. Of those effects, the 5min penalty is probably the most important.

Put this together a few days back when we were on map 5. Probably speaking the obvious to many, but this has been my experience. Trigger Alert: not for thin-skinned, PC types. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrViNSMBXoo

MAKE MOAR VIDEOS PLEASE!!!!! You a hilarious man!

• Upvote 2

What are you in about? Tabbing out is much quicker with dx11!
  • Upvote 1

At least for me it's been pretty hard to tab out and as far as I'm aware I'm not alone with that problem. I tend to tab out once, still see my screen, click on my second screen and use alt-tab again. That works okay-ish.

• Upvote 1

At least for me it's been pretty hard to tab out and as far as I'm aware I'm not alone with that problem. I tend to tab out once, still see my screen, click on my second screen and use alt-tab again. That works okay-ish.

I can't tab out to desktop after recent patch :/

I can't tab out to desktop after recent patch :/

I run borderless window and have no problems. Borderless performs extremely well in DX11 btw.

yeah some people seem to be having a problem with alt tabbing.. (probably windows aero peek)

I can alt tab fine
Running Fullscreen BUT 2 monitors (when i alt tab it just selects other monitor so it works easy)

Can't you just check when round will end on the spectate screen like normal??

Can't you just check when round will end on the spectate screen like normal??

You cant, ingame timer is always "00:00" left

Edited by JAGER_Staiger

You cant, ingame timer is always "00:00" left

Same goes for the replays which fetch the time from the server i guess. THe replays always display 00:00 and u dont know how long the replays are.

1. Would be great to see ingame how long the round lasts. (Scoreboard)

2. would be great to have a timer in the replays.

3. Would be great to have a warning. "1h remaining" "15mins remaining"

The duration of the mission is different every time (from 1:40min to 1:50min). Mission's start time is available on briefing tab. Using airplain's clock you may calculate remaining time. I may add info in game like 30min, 1h, 1:30min elapsed.

• Upvote 1

When the tank column reaches a defense line, is it possible to have a battle between the AT guns and tanks happen, and allow the players to come in and attack both sides? There would probably need to be a few attacks on a position before it gave way for the Germans though, and 1 attack by a column of T-34s would destroy every German position in the defense, so maybe have the Germans launch tank columns more frequently than the Russians.

Also, another thing that you might want to try for the next few campaigns is implementing the giant bombs for the He111 and the Ju88. The Soviets have a big advantage with their Il2s and PE-2s, and the Germans have giant bombs that they used occasionally in real life(just imagine all the giant bombs stockpiled during the last year without them allowed). I just think that this could be a way to actually let the blue side win, by allowing He111s and Ju88s that get through to completely wipe out a supply dump or factory area, as it is dangerous and hard to fly these planes and this would provide and incentive to do so.

• Upvote 1

Basically, the Soviets have much better ground attack planes, and thus often win the campaign. By giving the German bombers the powerful bombs they used in real life, the German bomber pilots would have a reason to attack ammo dumps and factories, as they actually stand a good chance of killing them in 1 run, instead of needing a flight of 5 bombers in formation dropping hundreds of small bombs on the target.

Basically, the Soviets have much better ground attack planes, and thus often win the campaign. By giving the German bombers the powerful bombs they used in real life, the German bomber pilots would have a reason to attack ammo dumps and factories, as they actually stand a good chance of killing them in 1 run, instead of needing a flight of 5 bombers in formation dropping hundreds of small bombs on the target.

Apologies. I was thinking in terms of WoL

I agree with you, however, TAW isn't the place for heavy game balancing. It's meant to simulate a real war.

If one side has shortcomings, it needs to be made up for by it's pilots.

I do agree that the IL-2 is a better plane to attack tanks with, however as some people have shown, Lufties can use some tricks to raise their effectiveness when it comes to anti-armor sorties.

When it comes to hitting large objectives like factories, I think you're terribly wrong on what it should take to destroy them. A single or double plane sortie should not be able to destroy a large objective. Also, when it comes to heavy bombing, the Axis has two good planes for bombing. The Russians only have the Pe-2. The IL-2 can carry 2x250kgs, but that's not going to get you very far on a factory.

You say it takes a 5+ plane sortie to kill a factory objective? That's good.

You can wipe out a Russian Storage with the He 111 and 2* SC 1000 Bombs in one attack with a Singe Plane, I have done that on the last Champain ;) 

• Upvote 1

It doenst matter much in the end, the t34s are way thougher and harder to destroy compared to the pz3s. Destroying the factories will only reduce the max number of them for the next mission.

It doenst matter much in the end, the t34s are way thougher and harder to destroy compared to the pz3s. Destroying the factories will only reduce the max number of them for the next mission.

I think this is a valid point that has been discussed.

Hopefully we'll see more realistic tank columns at some point.

• Upvote 1

On the bombing topic: has the TAW team looked into ways to make airfields into more viable targets? And I don't mean the factories added to them; it would be a nice addition to have damage to its facilities such as the hangars affect how many pilots can use the airfield, to reflect the destruction of grounded aircraft and refueling/rearming services.

Also - and I know this is a long shot - the addition of impact craters would create a boost in the simulation as well, as to enable bombers to put holes into runways. I realise the engine has its limitations, but perhaps a background calculation that tracks the amount and size of ordinance hitting the runway area would suffice, barring an airfield from use for a certain amount of time (to reflect emergency repairs) after a total amount of hits x payload.

• Upvote 1

Also, another thing that you might want to try for the next few campaigns is implementing the giant bombs for the He111 and the Ju88. The Soviets have a big advantage with their Il2s and PE-2s, and the Germans have giant bombs that they used occasionally in real life(just imagine all the giant bombs stockpiled during the last year without them allowed). I just think that this could be a way to actually let the blue side win, by allowing He111s and Ju88s that get through to completely wipe out a supply dump or factory area, as it is dangerous and hard to fly these planes and this would provide and incentive to do so.

I'm no expert but from what I've read the 1800 kg bombs were specially brought in for use against extremely well-protected structures like the fortresses at Brest Litovsk, Sevastopol, and the Tractor Factory at Stalingrad. I get the impression they weren't sitting around stockpiled at airfields. And ditto for the 1000 kg bomb where the Ju 87 squadrons were concerned. Unless the TAW team makes targets out of the the industrial section of the Stalingrad city proper, I suspect we will be breaching historical accuracy by making these bombs available to anyone on a whim. 

Edited by I./StG77_HvB

I think this is a valid point that has been discussed.

Hopefully we'll see more realistic tank columns at some point.

As some people pointed out the main issue regarding tank columns in almost any server is the same. They usually consist of T-34s and KV-1s more or less favored numbers of T-34s. It's really strange since even when I checked the Order of Battle for Kursk the Soviet tank forces consist of around 60 % of T-34 (76 mm gun), around 30 % of T-70 (light tank) and the 10 % was split between heavy tanks (KV-1, KV-85) and self propelled guns. In context of BoM and BoS timeline are tank forces consisting almost exclusively of T-34s and KV-1s absolutely ridiculous. It's like there would be Me-262 or 190D-9 in BoS map.

• Upvote 1

I also like to put that dropping a SC1000, SC1800 or even a SC2500 on a tank column wont be much different from dropping 250s and 500s. If the bomb dont land close enough to the t34s, it wont explode the tank, meaning you wont be able to destroy the whole column with one bomb. Heck if you are lucky you are able to destroy 2 tanks with one big bomb, but that is more of an exception than the rule.

Meanwhile, a single IL2 with 23mm AP rounds is able to destroy the whole german tank column alone (assuming no AA defenses in both cases).

Edited by JAGER_Staiger
  • Upvote 1

I also like to put that dropping a SC1000, SC1800 or even a SC2500 on a tank column wont be much different from dropping 250s and 500s. If the bomb dont land close enough to the t34s, it wont explode the tank, meaning you wont be able to destroy the whole column with one bomb. Heck if you are lucky you are able to destroy 2 tanks with one big bomb, but that is more of an exception than the rule.

Meanwhile, a single IL2 with 23mm AP rounds is able to destroy the whole german tank column alone (assuming no AA defenses in both cases).

I've plopped 100kg bombs right by panzers before and they haven't been destroyed. I couldn't imagine trying to kill Russian tanks with bombs.

I've gotten to where if I can't hit a tank column with gun pods or cannons, I just don't even try

Very interesting all the ideas.

But i think here are missing something ... tactics.

Yep Il2 are better on ground atack and can kill 5/6 tanks with cannons.... then maybe blue tactic must be stay low for hunt il2, and try made some advance cap.. dont wait over objective at 5 k ... and evitate low dogfights... because lose advantage.  Eip man!! accion its here. ground level, il2 atacking whit cannon tanks... No drop bomb and run high.... stay low  atack rear atack untill no have more ammo.

Ju88 are better than Pe2 ( bomb load i mean ).... i fly red... i dont wait under 1000 mts over objective for hunt bomber..... need climb, climb. climb and if idont want enemy drops bombs.... intercept before atack. 

Salute all. I miss TAW  ))

I mean tactics need be adapted to enemy thread. 

Very interesting all the ideas.

But i think here are missing something ... tactics.

Yep Il2 are better on ground atack and can kill 5/6 tanks with cannons.... then maybe blue tactic must be stay low for hunt il2, and try made some advance cap.. dont wait over objective at 5 k ... and evitate low dogfights... because lose advantage.  Eip man!! accion its here. ground level, il2 atacking whit cannon tanks... No drop bomb and run high.... stay low  atack rear atack untill no have more ammo.

Ju88 are better than Pe2 ( bomb load i mean ).... i fly red... i dont wait under 1000 mts over objective for hunt bomber..... need climb, climb. climb and if idont want enemy drops bombs.... intercept before atack. 

Salute all. I miss TAW  ))

I mean tactics need be adapted to enemy thread. 

I mentioned this earlier.

This server goes for realism. Therefore, bomb loadouts are set for that, and so any shortcomings of those loadouts have to be made up for by the pilots.

However, while pilots can change tactics to deal with the Russian tank columns as they are, we also have to point out that the tank columns' compositions last campaign were not very historically accurate.

If they were, Lufties would have an easier time tank hunting.

Now if they change their compositions to be historically accurate and the Lufties still have problems, then oh well, they're going to have to get clever and develop a strategy to effectively attack them, just as they should be now anyway

The Germans are losing the campaign mainly because of how difficult the T-34 is to destroy, and I think that the Soviets should have a few columns of T-70s ir BT-7s, and maybe KV-1s. If not, I see no problem with the Germans getting the giant bombs, as they would be used to take out factories and supply dumps, something that they did not do in real life because there were too few of them. However, with the complete lack of fortresses in the Stalingrad area, I think it would be illogical for the Luftwaffe to keep the giant bombs for fortress that do not exist.

According to this page: http://mapswar2.x10host.com/Battle_of_Moscow_1941_World_War_2_Campaigns.htm

A Soviet tank brigade in December 1941 consisted of: 16 T-60 (32%) , 20 T-34 (40%), 14 KV-1s (28%). However you also had Cavalry divisions, which had 64 BT light tanks, which were independent of the tank brigades.

Defending Moscow there were: 4 tank brigades and 6 cavalry divisions, with 10 other tank brigades in reserves or at the "Reserve Front".

In the end it would be a total of 384 BT tanks (35%), 224 T-60s (21%), 280 T-34s (26%), 196 KV-1s (18%).

If someone could find something similar to Battle of Stalingrad and for the German side it would be great

Edited by SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 1

I think we all agree that having the Soviet tank columns consist of solely T-34s and the German columns PzIIIs is completely unrealistic or perhaps just way out of balance. 

One thing I'd like to throw in the mix when the developers are making changes.

To me this server is not an ultimate war realism server, but more like chess. It has a the perfect potential for strategy and action that doesn't get stale due to the time limit.

Every time a new match begins there is a new strategy you must implement. Whether or not your thinking 3 matches ahead or just about finding that next kill your still thinking, and that is the biggest strength of this game/server style.

While balance and realism are important, keeping the server fun by keeping players on there toes and thinking will be a challenge with the best result.

Or maybe it's the honey wiskey talking, y'all decide.

-Fendebird

did the column composition change? when TWB flew german we never had issues killing tanks. it was tough sure, using the stuka 37s is A LOT tougher than flying a sturmovik, but we won several campaigns. 

were the tanks in the recent campaigns tougher than the rest?

• Upvote 1