Tactical Air War

=LG=Kathon

=LG=Flogger
On 1/24/2021 at 1:14 AM, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

What kind of arrogant answer...

It depends on the interpretation that "answer".

U chose "dark side".

CSW_606_Temp
7 hours ago, 41Sqn_Bird said:

OMG those American “Nightshifters” ruining everything on TAW /s

WAIT what’s this German air superiority once again more impressive than an allied air superiority so far.

Just here fighting the false narrative about the so called “night shift”

D558D82D-7416-47FC-81AE-95CC6265BD04.thumb.jpeg.ab0e3d72a1ee7f8c0c221d95dae33443.jpeg

Why we have this indulgent "side is full" rule? Now is playing  29:11. It is possible testing only max +10 players per side? Many players maybe wont play against 3x enemies, waiting and  dont conect. This situation is worse and worse. Greatly number blue/red players meaning lower and lower red/blue palyers on other side and totaly disbalance. 
Only idea.

=LG=todeskvlt
4 minutes ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

News flash. Western front TAW sucks.

thx.jpg.926ceeac5451171cc1c6938c2fd43220.jpg

• Haha 7

FTC_Vietkong
Just now, =LG=todeskvlt said:

thx.jpg.926ceeac5451171cc1c6938c2fd43220.jpg

It will be better once the normandy planeset is included though.

• Thanks 1

=LG=Blakhart
2 hours ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

It will be better once the normandy planeset is included though.

How many flight hours you spent in this season btw ?

=LG=Piciu
26 minutes ago, =OPFR=the_rooster said:

Btw im having a great time. Thanks for putting out a solid server LG 

Thank you sir! Words of this type, addressed to us, are rarely seen recently😊

• Upvote 2

ACG_FriedericusREX

Gentlemen of LG,

among all the back and forth about balance and who killed who and therefore has the biggest ****

I genuinly want to say thank you for providing us with a server like TAW!

Only a realy good server can get people so invested that they keep arguing on the forum with such vigor ;D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

=TH=mincer
9 hours ago, =LG=Piciu said:

Thank you sir! Words of this type, addressed to us, are rarely seen recently😊

We send them via PayPal 💲

• Upvote 1

SCG_Wulfe

I placed this in the Poll thread but figured it may be missed there and should be here as well. 

I got to thinking that maybe there is something that can be done with transport mechanics to provide more overall gameplay benefit for all involved. 

For example:

Implement temporary, front-line "supply/support airfields". These airfields would allow for pilots to land and refuel closer to the action without having to fly all the way back to open airfields. However, they would not provide the benefit of a logged sortie. This would continue to require the pilot to land and finish at a traditional open airfield.

Secondarily, I would suggest that these airfields would need to be supplied by transports in order to allow them to resupply/repair the planes that land at them. They could also be partially tied to the relative strength/repair rate of nearby defenses or tanks. This would promote transports needing to fly closer to the front lines in order to maintain these benefits and therefore present themselves as more susceptible targets. It would also give them a bit more of a strategic importance and therefore give people something to think about while they grind away sorties in them. 

Third, allow transports to lift off from closed traditional airfields near the front-lines at all times. This would allow them to start closer to the action and the "temporary airfields" but of course... at greater risk to themselves. 

Finally, do not tie deaths in a transport to a pilot's stats. Allow people to take on the higher risk to resupply in transports and gain CMs without the risk of losing lives/streak/rank if they die in a transport. (Essentially transports would be considered a grind to gain back planes or lives while providing the benefit of a more ready target for the opposition.)

edit* Even if these airfields did not allow for resupply/repair of aircraft and only increased the repair rate of nearby defense/tanks, or vice-versa... it would still achieve the overall intended effect. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

=LG=todeskvlt
1 hour ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Finally, do not tie deaths in a transport to a pilot's stats. Allow people to take on the higher risk to resupply in transports and gain CMs without the risk of losing lives/streak/rank if they die in a transport. (Essentially transports would be considered a grind to gain back planes or lives while providing the benefit of a more ready target for the opposition.)

Immortal transport Pe-2. Sounds like the greatest fighter on TAW.

Edited by =LG=todeskvlt
  • Upvote 1

SCG_Wulfe
54 minutes ago, =LG=todeskvlt said:

Immortal transport Pe-2. Sounds like the greatest fighter on TAW.

Transports do not give you guns, so I don't think there would be a problem with them being used as fighters. Further, if you were concerned about players exploiting the gunners for kills, simply do not award kills to a players stats during transport flights. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

@LG today i joined server and hat to restart the game because i forgot to start trackir. after reconnect i had a penalty of 9mins. after penalty i could not start because i had to wait in the que. after 25 min i was still on 6th place. even after one of our sqad member has left the game. one other guy of SV7 connected and was able to start immediately. is there any bugs in the balance system?

JG7_X-Man

To be honest - Transport runs could be automated (have AI take off and land and penalize pilots that collide with them) to augment human runs. Then there will be no need to edit the pilot lives for flying transports as they are only doing it for personal reasons.

=LG=Piciu
1 hour ago, JG7_X-Man said:

To be honest - Transport runs could be automated (have AI take off and land and penalize pilots that collide with them) to augment human runs. Then there will be no need to edit the pilot lives for flying transports as they are only doing it for personal reasons.

As I remember talks about implementing AI flights, this kind of action will have heavy impact on server performance. 

• Upvote 1

SCG_Wulfe
1 hour ago, JG7_X-Man said:

There are a few problems I see with this. First, AI will bog down the server. Second, it would remove the strategic element envisaged for transports in my prior post. Third, AI transport runs will be easy to predict and intercept and should not be counted towards air kills. This would remove the benefit of increased air targets and traffic around the front line. 

This third point I did not really expand on deeply in my initial post but it is another benefit I see. With this system, we would be encouraging fighter pilot types to take the "easy prey" of transport pilots near the front line. This could have the benefit of encouraging pilots to fly lower and more aggressively near the front line where they are at risk of exposing themselves with tracer fire and time on target at lower alts. In general, this could lead to more buzz and activity in a way that counts. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 2

=LG=Blakhart
6 hours ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Implement temporary, front-line "supply/support airfields". These airfields would allow for pilots to land and refuel closer to the action without having to fly all the way back to open airfields. However, they would not provide the benefit of a logged sortie. This would continue to require the pilot to land and finish at a traditional open airfield.

There was such idea but didnt got the majority of voices so far.

Intention of this server is to provide ralistic flight experience and battle stress during combat sorties.

Even you decided to take cargo or drop paratroopers.

Big no for such idea.

4 hours ago, SV7_Vase said:

@LG today i joined server and hat to restart the game because i forgot to start trackir. after reconnect i had a penalty of 9mins. after penalty i could not start because i had to wait in the que. after 25 min i was still on 6th place. even after one of our sqad member has left the game. one other guy of SV7 connected and was able to start immediately. is there any bugs in the balance system?

Accident probably. Maybe when he joined someone left and the que was =0.

Balance system is working well in this season. Even there is 40vs20 at some hours extra players are obliged to take airbases far away from the front line.

Kathon is a brilliant admin but he can`t make miracles and control player numbers at every mission.

8 hours ago, ACG_FriedericusREX said:

Gentlemen of LG,

among all the back and forth about balance and who killed who and therefore has the biggest ****

I genuinly want to say thank you for providing us with a server like TAW!

Only a realy good server can get people so invested that they keep arguing on the forum with such vigor ;D

Thank you. Invite other squads to competition so the problem with imbalance will disapear ;]

17 hours ago, =OPFR=the_rooster said:

Btw im having a great time. Thanks for putting out a solid server LG 

;]

BTW 

Check the results of voting.

According to that.

Present situatuion with temporary destroying the bases looks good. You cant win now by deleting the airbases and need to focus on other targets.

Also people who like long flights can always take secondary bases and those who have smaller fuel tanks have more operational time in the hot zones.

Majority of the TAW community decided to change something with day/night shift problem. 
We respect all the players but also respect effort which 60-80 players waste during European time missions.

We have a compromise. 

We will NOT TURN OFF the server during NA players activity. Instead of this, the defence lines will be stronger compare to the tank column strenght.

Players will need to put as much effort in destroying def lines as in killing tank columns.

So even there will be no oposition at some side frontline wont be pushed so easily as it is now by 4-10 players.

Work in progress.

Changing the AAA strenght and numbers will not change the logic of a AAA as a object in the game, so single fast attacks will be still possible however they will not kill the whole targets so the players will need to focus on precise attacks.

We will also work under a new planest logic with historical lines( as possible as it is in the game, counting the plane overall strenght, durability, loadout, version, engine power, speed, etc. and historical  service time) and combat points system.

Expect changes in the Eastern front edition if the script tests will be positive.

Also have in mind that LG team is changing sides EVERY season so we dont have ANY private interest with boosting one side of the conflict.

If you want to support us and keep the server evolving and runing you can always do it via PayPal as the LG team do as well.

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=VTTCPqFpbr8_22qKOLyTj--EoVdnOkbKCdVFGjEfFzsLmm5dSvXx0oA_sJP5xHXqF9t4YIaOL-eFc4cP&locale.x=GB

303595418_pobrane(1).png.bd5743e0544c01eb9f58e1fbc46595d3.png

Edited by =LG=Blakhart

FTC_Vietkong
On 1/25/2021 at 10:45 PM, =LG=Blakhart said:

None. And I don´t plan to, because it is fundamentally the same as the last western front campaign, which I didn´t really enjoy. Well, actually, SRS is in now. That definitely made the last east front taw a lot better.

We will see what the future will hold. Normandy, Air marshall...

BigGinger
4 hours ago, =LG=Blakhart said:

We will NOT TURN OFF the server during NA players activity. Instead of this, the defence lines will be stronger compare to the tank column strenght.

Players will need to put as much effort in destroying def lines as in killing tank columns.

So even there will be no oposition at some side frontline wont be pushed so easily as it is now by 4-10 players.

Is this change in defense strength triggered by a team imbalance?  Or will it simply be active during certain hours of the day?

• Confused 1

=LG=Blakhart
On 1/25/2021 at 10:45 PM, =LG=Blakhart said:

7 hours ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

None.

Good. 

I just wanted to confirm that, because I didnt saw your nickname in the players list.

So your opinion doesnt have any value :)

Test it before you judge.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, BigGinger said:

Is this change in defense strength triggered by a team imbalance?  Or will it simply be active during certain hours of the day?

It is triggered by the overall gameplay. Not only 2nd shift.

It will be active during the all day.

Side with Hartmans hanging on 7-8k and counting that few players do the dirty job will no longer push the frontline.

Amount of effort to kill the tank column is a lot bigger than killing soft targets at defence line.

2 skilled strikers can delete 80% of 1 def line in 10-15 minutes and they will have enough amunition to make a small damage on 2nd def position.

In total around 4-6 players can kill ALL of 3 def lines in around 45`-1 hr(with RTB).

Taking on account the mission is 2hrs50 minutes +/- long means 6-8 players can delete ALL the defence lines on the map.

With tank column at your side pushing the front line demands around 2-6 players 

On the other hand to kill tank column (20 tanks- heavy targets, small bomb splash, precise hits) you need 6-8 players in 2-3 sorties which takes usually more than 1hr30`-2hrs ( with RTB)

Also with present situation we basically CANT save the defence lines from single fast dive bombing attacks.

With  column its a lot easier to defend, because attacking side needs to be more precised with killing tanks, spend more time in the area and provide air superiority.

FTC_Vietkong
1 hour ago, =LG=Blakhart said:

Good. 

I just wanted to confirm that, because I didnt saw your nickname in the players list.

So your opinion doesnt have any value :)

Test it before you judge.

Cheers!

Of course my opinion has no value. I´m taking the piss... But you know what has value? Comparing the attendance numbers between Western front TAW and eastern. 

I think you didn´t understand what i meant. This TAW will be great once a lot of the missing assets that are coming in Normandy will be included ( More ground attack planes) and not that you guys have designed a poor western front TAW. Its more you don´t really have the tools to make it epic.

Also I really liked the idea of the bomber raid taw where the allies had to destroy a % of factories etc. although in practice might be dificult to implement and make it enjoyable. Gives a more western front "flavour".

=LG=Blakhart
1 hour ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

Of course my opinion has no value. I´m taking the piss... But you know what has value? Comparing the attendance numbers between Western front TAW and eastern. 

I think you didn´t understand what i meant. This TAW will be great once a lot of the missing assets that are coming in Normandy will be included ( More ground attack planes) and not that you guys have designed a poor western front TAW. Its more you don´t really have the tools to make it epic.

Also I really liked the idea of the bomber raid taw where the allies had to destroy a % of factories etc. although in practice might be dificult to implement and make it enjoyable. Gives a more western front "flavour".

Such form is far better :)
You see, now you are helping us giving a good critic! 
Thank you! :)

BTW

This "online war" will be ready when IL-2GB will have as many maps, historical campaigns and planes as the old il2 have.

Then we will have enough assets and options.

Just imagine you & your friends in next 20-30-40 years (when it will happen),retired sitting at home and having full day to fight at online war 😄 😄 😄

hahahah

Edited by =LG=Blakhart

=VARP=Tvrdi

Well..its currently, the best server for us, hardcorers (old SEOW warriors). I like it alot. There is room for improvement, ofcourse.

BTW, me praising anything is an epic achievement. So be flattered. 😄

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

=TH=mincer

Please unlock 150 octane on P-47 attacker once it is available on the other planes. Flying the jug loaded with ammunition is already a miserable experience, no need to make it even worse.

• Upvote 2

=2ndSS=Lawyer1

The fact that you can not close airfields for 3-4 missions, this significantly changes the course of hostilities. This makes the war on the server less dependent on tactics, now it will not be possible to conduct operations that will have long-term consequences. Perhaps an alternative solution would be to change the mechanics of restoring the airfield and be able to directly repair it with air supply. This would encourage flights to the border airfield from both sides. Right now, it doesn't make much sense either to attack the airfield or to supply it by air. On the other hand, reducing the time of approach to the battle area will increase attendance.

• Upvote 2

=LG=Mad_Mikhael
21 minutes ago, mincer said:

Please unlock 150 octane on P-47 attacker once it is available on the other planes. Flying the jug loaded with ammunition is already a miserable experience, no need to make it even worse.

IIRC 150-grade fuel for P-47 attacker is locked because it wasn't used by the 9th Air Force.

• Upvote 1

=LG=Mad_Mikhael
35 minutes ago, CSW_606_Temp said:

And  K-4 with boost 1.98ATA was used? LOL 🧐 

Yeaah, with K-4 it's more complicated.
DB and DC engine is the same engine. The difference is B4 fuel with MW-50 was designated DB and C-3 fuel with MW-50 was designated DC.
And IIRC there is no proof that DC wasn't used, but there is no proof that it was used either. But, we know in what state Third Reich fuel economy was in the late war. So personally, I agree with you. At the same time, this is kinda reflected in TAW since DC engine is limited by depot damage. Maybe depot damage should be more impactful at this modification.

• Upvote 2

Barnacles
49 minutes ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

Yeaah, with K-4 it's more complicated.
DB and DC engine is the same engine. The difference is B4 fuel with MW-50 was designated DB and C-3 fuel with MW-50 was designated DC.
And IIRC there is no proof that DC wasn't used, but there is no proof that it was used either. But, we know in what state Third Reich fuel economy was in the late war. So personally, I agree with you. At the same time, this is kinda reflected in TAW since DC engine is limited by depot damage. Maybe depot damage should be more impactful at this modification.

On Kurfurst's site it shows that 1.98 was cleared for some squadrons from around March 1945.

Of course as you point out it was also possible to be cleared for 1.98, but not be able to run that, owing to lack of the appropriate fuel.

• Upvote 1

=VARP=Tvrdi

Here are my problems with this server. If you loose your life and points your only option is P47 attacker. Well, I surprised one BF109 K4 in it but pathetic 50 cals just arent enough for one pass kill so I ended up defeated.

Secondly, often on server the odds are very uneven. Also there are many squads out there, so often happens that even if the odds are close one side has 10 players in team on TS. That is ok of the server is full but if there are 20 ppl on each side...Maybe Im seeing things wrongly....

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

WokeUpBlue
3 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Here are my problems with this server. If you loose your life and points your only option is P47 attacker. Well, I surprised one BF109 K4 in it but pathetic 50 cals just arent enough for one pass kill so I ended up defeated.

Yes, 50-cals suck, probably unrealistically so, but you're only 3 combat sorties away from the P-38 attacker which has a cannon. Also, the Spit can carry a decent bomb load and can attack and defend itself quite well after it drops them.

3 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Secondly, often on server the odds are very uneven. Also there are many squads out there, so often happens that even if the odds are close one side has 10 players in team on TS. That is ok of the server is full but if there are 20 ppl on each side...Maybe Im seeing things wrongly....

I don't think this will ever be solved. There are some rules that prevent squads from splitting up and/or switching sides and those rules make sense for the most part, while non-squad pilots often get "emotionally attached" to their planes or to the work they already did for their side in the campaign. Some tweaks are being suggested but mostly I think it will be up to you to adjust how you fly during an imbalance.

=VARP=Ribbon

I've got terrible fps dips today on server.....in VR it goes down to 33fps and stays like that!

Before it was running ok even with more players and more clouds.

S!

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon

[GCA]T1m270
21 hours ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

I've got terrible fps dips today on server.....in VR it goes down to 33fps and stays like that!

Before it was running ok even with more players and more clouds.

S!

This is most likely on your end mate.

=VARP=Ribbon
3 hours ago, [GCA]T1m270 said:

This is most likely on your end mate.

Was curious does this map has more units on it than usual, cos i had no such problems before as well other servers run more than fine

Blackhart

The Allies have launched their last hopeless attack! Where is the mighty weapon of the Führer? 

Q Me262.jpg

=L/R=Rafcio
1 hour ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

Landed on home airfield and lost a plane...why?

http://taw-server.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=26578&name==VARP=Ribbon

This sortie?

You damaged your plane above 50 %, and you must wait until your ground crew fix it. Very simple. 

Planeset is a bit unbalanced too, axis having dora, g14 and k4 vs peashooter mustang, spit and p47.

What planeset would be good for you. Bf 109 E7 vs. P-51D? Ju-87 vs. Spitfire mk.IX?

If you say that LW planes are better, just fly on blue side.

Also bunch of 262s camping all around spawn airfields....not much fun for allies.

Without exaggeration. Only a few for the entire map. There are restrictions on their use. Read the manual.

And don't worry, it's normal on a TAW. This server triggers states like yours now. That's what it is for. 😉

Edited by =L/R=Rafcio
No reason.

JG7_X-Man
On 1/27/2021 at 7:19 AM, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

IIRC 150-grade fuel for P-47 attacker is locked because it wasn't used by the 9th Air Force.

@CSW_606_Temp IIRC 150-grade fuel degraded sparkplug life significantly thus increasing (aircraft maintenance time required/combat hours). With the 2nd TAF and 9th USAAF being on continent charged with tactical objectives (bridges, railways, airfields etc.), combat readiness (having operational aircraft available for quick turnaround was more important that the slight advantage it gave aircraft mostly configured for mud moving.

for the record, I am not saying it shouldn't be unlock, I'm just given a possible reason as to why it is.

• Upvote 2

• BlackSix locked and unpinned this topic
  • BlackSix unlocked this topic