=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Darbzy said:

Just flew a sortie on TAW with two other Pe-2s. We hit an airfield at dusk and got bounced and none of our gunners fired or even manned their guns. I had time to re-order them to fire several times but they just sat there. Can anyone think of a reason why? The only thing I can come up with is it was getting dark. Anyone else had this problem? It's the second time it's happened to me this campaign.

Its the game mechanic. The gunners will not fire when you enter the clouds or when its dark. You have to man the guns yourself unfortunately. (I think IT was changed by devs after many complains that the gunners fire trough clouds etc.)

Edited by Carl_infar
  • Thanks 3

96213BD155D1FD61FD0958DE7FF31355A974B1E2

Me at dusk with blind, drunk and/or blind drunk gunners helping GOA test the Macchi, 109 and 110 simultaneously.  You're welcome!

• Like 1

The mission has been going on for 2 hours and 12 minutes. Maybe something broke?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, CptSiddy said:

Does not matter at all, because:

The relative speed of the planes are so small that it wont matter in tail chase situation. 

Only the angle of incidence, bullets relative velocity to target and the bullets spin wobble. Now, i doubt the 7.62mm family ever had shell with ballistic soft cap meant for normalization, so if it was AP or normal lead core matters little when it comes to angle of attack other than steel core AP rounds were lighter.  You will get serious keyholling striking trough the metal plate that is >45 deg, meaning the ammo is dumping more of its energy to break the skin and tumbling. This means that it will be impacting anything behind it sideways or arse first. Any soft stuff, like lines and pipes will get messed up but any hard stuff like what engine blocks are made of can take hits like that without damage. 

Like i said, there is reason why small arms cartridges were phased out from aerial combat, even tho you could potentially load up more of them and get substantially higher RoF. 

I don't think that the developer of the Dragonov Sniper rifle would have based their gun off of (and made a specialized variation) for the 7.62x.54mmR round if it was already known to be predisposed to tumbling over long distances.  Granted, the variant for the Dragonov was developed well after WW2 but, if the bullet was unstable to begin with, why not just start with a fresh design instead of small changes?  I don't think that "because they had a lot of them" would be a feasible answer.  

I agree that history shows the bullet was unsuitable for air-to-air combat.  It also appears to me that interpretation of history is an issue.  Those doing the shooting (in game of course) and getting feasible results say "it's right.". Those being shot at and suffering defeat almost always refuse to see if the damage done was feasible and therefore will claim it to be OP.  

But, since you say that it, and other bullets like it, should not fly well or should do minimal damage no matter what,  I'll start attacking Stukas on dead 6 with an I-16 (inlet cowls full closed for armor, of course) and fully expect to not get engine damage/stoppage or the fuel tank exploded in my pilot's face. 

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ

I also want to tell you that the gunners on the Ju-88. Today they shot down 2 aircraft with me, very accurate.

• Upvote 1

The 3 life per map rule has ruined the game for attack and bomber pilots.  I understand why the change was made, but am asking the developers to reconsider a higher life count for Attack/Bomber pilots.  Seems to me the #1 issue was jumping into unlimited fighters to take out flak until it was gone, then dogpile a defenseless target with bombers.  Some would then vulch easy prey afterwards.   My deaths have been due to AAA, as expected flying low over targets defended by Flak.  I suggest keeping fighter's the same and increasing attack/bombers to 6 lives per map.  Also allow 1 life earned back per day up to the full allocation.   Or turn down the effectiveness of the Flak guns and reduce their numbers.  Currently it is nearly suicide to roll into a target that is defended by Flak unless you want to level bomb.  Level bombing now gets to face hordes of fighters, because most have given up serious attack roles, and the Flak is so effective that even level bombing is a serious risk even when there are no enemy fighters in the area.   

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Managed to crash land successfully over friendly lines while my plane was on fire. However, upon ending flight my pilot was stated as killed? Is it possible to revert this? 

Because of the 3 death rule, don't go near Pe-2s anymore - not until we get the Fw 190A-3 at least.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I’m Having fun ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Because of the 3 death rule, don't go near Pe-2s anymore - not until we get the Fw 190A-3 at least.

Same here.

Iam not attacking Pe2 anymore..not over Depot,Airfields or Def.Pos.

Because the 3 Live System and to many Pilot Kills from Tailgunner. (now i fly with 0,09Lives)

Now i flying many Time Figther because Groundattacking is realy deathly too.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/18/2019 at 1:43 AM, CptSiddy said:

This, 9001 times, this!

I have lost 3 life's to back gunners during this TAW.

One was to Pe-2 sawing off the wing of 110, two were high speed forward and up rear passes of 110 and Ju-88 where my pilot got sniped right when i was passing the plane at such speed that turning the gun to track would require pneumatic pistons and computer controlled stabilisation.

Heck, i once went to toilet, and left my Pe-2 on autolevel and came back to this: http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=11520&name=CptSiddy

Yes, it was a ditch, but there was no one at the controls... 

Now, you can attribute one or two of these to bad luck, but it starts to show a pattern that is more and more undeniable. Idd like to see TAW's statistics on back gunner shot downs....

You have life system, you have Pe-2, you will end up with people who fly Pe-2's mainly, and then the people who have no life's. :crazy: 

300px-Phalanx_CIWS_USS_Jason_Dunham.jpg.24b3ca0f33ec7db5cc8fa609ea305bbe.jpg

Average Peshka gunner (1941, colorized)

Dude! The vulcan is so cool! I was on the USS San Bernardino (LST-1189) from Hong Kong to Okinawa enroute they fired that sucker - it was awesomely robotic and accurate!

Yes - it does remind me of bot gunners in a way. LOL

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, =AAA=C_DAT said:

The 3 life per map rule has ruined the game for attack and bomber pilots.  I understand why the change was made, but am asking the developers to reconsider a higher life count for Attack/Bomber pilots.  Seems to me the #1 issue was jumping into unlimited fighters to take out flak until it was gone, then dogpile a defenseless target with bombers.  Some would then vulch easy prey afterwards.   My deaths have been due to AAA, as expected flying low over targets defended by Flak.  I suggest keeping fighter's the same and increasing attack/bombers to 6 lives per map.  Also allow 1 life earned back per day up to the full allocation.   Or turn down the effectiveness of the Flak guns and reduce their numbers.  Currently it is nearly suicide to roll into a target that is defended by Flak unless you want to level bomb.  Level bombing now gets to face hordes of fighters, because most have given up serious attack roles, and the Flak is so effective that even level bombing is a serious risk even when there are no enemy fighters in the area.   

This hasn’t been my experience. I made a handful of level bomb runs between 3500m and 4500m without a scratch from the AAA and smart planning minimized exposure to fighters too.

Attacking is more difficult now but conservative and fast attacks still get you home more often than not

Edited by WokeUpDead
  • Upvote 2

The three lives per map is certainly making everyone stop and think a bit more before committing to engagement with other aircraft or ground targets, that's for sure.   Everyone is caring more about their virtual lives... but then again, isn't that what we want in a campaign like TAW?  Personally I can live with it, since the worst you have to wait 24 hours to fly again, but would prefer some adjustments as have been suggested previously, such as:

- Reduce the 24 hour wait to 20 hours.  When you are reduced to 1 life and lose that, if it was at the end of your "usual playing time", it means you probably have to wait two days, since it might be too late to start flying.  If you have to wait 20 hours instead, those 4 less hours means you would be able to play again the next day during your normal hobby hours.  This is important for those that have limited time available to fly.

- Provide the ability to "earn back" lives (or even a partial life, etc.) by doing supply runs.  This way, if you get down to 1 life (or fraction between 0 and 1), you can fly some supply missions and try to get a little more, providing a little "death buffer".  Maybe something like 5 transport missions to get you .25 lives, or something... anything along those lines.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

My friends Spud, Hexed, and myself are excited to join in the TAW once again! We will be supporting the blue side and are looking for a few more Ju 87 pilots and 109 pilots that would be active Thursdays and Fridays (1800 - 2130 US Central) to join in on the flights. Nothing like joining a unit/squadron, just forming up and keeping focusing flying as a group with close cover. If you are interested in flying with us send me a message and we can discuss details further. Thank you for your time and see you legends in the air. o7o7o7

Stukapostersmall.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 12:34 PM, =IL2AU=SixFour619 said:

I am a working family man with few opportunities to play. Now, tail gunners destroy me with radar guided cannons and in 2 hours I am done for the night. Can you guys stop adding lame rules that kill the fun for gods sake! Now in order to play with my group I will have to hope they are on past my 24 hour ban and hope they all  have their lives too. Now our bans have to sink up in order for us to fly together. Come on guys. 😤

This is a problem for our squad as well, we are few so if only one of us has a 24 hour ban we are all going with him and fly KOTA instead (by the way, yesterday in Kuban it was a blast). We love TAW but we are not leaving our kamarad alone. The life system comes with some advantages and disadvantages but in general we are holding up well however, most of our deaths come from Pe2 gunners which have become the biggest issue. If it weren't for them and their lethality yesterday we would have been able to fly TAW as our colleague would'nt have had a 24 hour ban.

5 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

- Reduce the 24 hour wait to 20 hours.  When you are reduced to 1 life and lose that, if it was at the end of your "usual playing time", it means you probably have to wait two days, since it might be too late to start flying.  If you have to wait 20 hours instead, those 4 less hours means you would be able to play again the next day during your normal hobby hours.  This is important for those that have limited time available to fly.

This is actually a great idea, I would reduce it to 12 hours so we can play the next day at our usual play time.

Edited by III/JG52_Al-Azraq
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

How about opening the gunner seats to live players, that would reduce the AI accuracy mess by a lot and allow people to participate until a plane slot becomes available or if you get killed 3 times as a pilot be allowed to come back as a gunner until the 24 penalty expires. Now that the gunner seats are locked until you unlock them you don't have to worry about trolls shooting your plane up and if someone wants to gun they have to ask the pilot.     

Edited by =AVG77=REDMAN
spelling
  • Upvote 1

Hello!

I am writing to thank everyone involved in the creation and administration of the server Tactical Air War. In my opinion, at the moment, this is the best server on the IL2 platform. Your work really makes me admire and respect!

Also, I want to speak about the new rules concerning the limitation of pilot's lives. For me, after the introduction of these restrictions, fly on this server has become even more interesting. Now every time you cross the front line, you get a shot of adrenaline in the blood, as if this is the moment when you first shot down the enemy online (maybe here I exaggerate a bit, but you understand what I mean). With the increase in the value of the life of the pilot, the picture of air combat on this server has become even more believable and has become even more radically different for the better, from the one that can be seen on other servers. Many pilots have tried to fly neatly on this server before, but they still could afford reckless actions, which greatly alienate the picture of air combat from reality. Now this is becoming less common. New rules make the pilot think carefully about what he is going to do and no less carefully think at the time when he does. New rules make the pilot to interact more with teammates and less to fly alone.

I very much hope that the administration of the server will not go in the wake of those who ask for indulgences and are afraid of difficulties. Anyone who complains about the ban because of death, I would advise to spend time with benefit. Practice your personal skills. Think over your tactics. Singles stop being shy and go into teamspeak already. I really hope that the mitigation of the rules will not happen, because it will only increase the Berloga-style on the server. The increase in the value of the pilot's life / ability to make a new departure, to a large extent, added to this server the uniqueness among those that are now available to IL2 players. Now the gameplay on Tactical Air War is the most interesting, exciting and forcing your blood to boil.

P.S. In any case, I thank you for your work and sincerely wish you success in the future!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 8

I've thought about the limited lives rule and frankly I think there are many more down sides than the few up sides.  Hope this is eliminated in the future.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Mm1ut1 said:

I’m Having fun ! 

This is heresy right here folks!

• Haha 5

I take all my life system criticism back.

This is grate idea! 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Like a few others I am hating the 3 lives rule. However I have a few suggestions that will make me hate it less;

1, As people have mentioned the 24 hour stand down is to long as it often means you can't play the next day, for example I lost my last life at midnight which is the latest I normally play so the next night I could not play as I wasnt able to until midnight again. Between 12 and 20 hours would be much better.

2, An ability to earn the lives back would be nice, much like transport missions to earn back aircraft.

3, When the stand down period is over, we should get our three lives back. Having only one life and the prospect of another 24 hour stand down if I lose it means I will not even get in a ground attacker or bomber until the map is over. Yet ground attacking is one of my favourite things on taw.

Just my two cents.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Fair said:

Hello!

I am writing to thank everyone involved in the creation and administration of the server Tactical Air War. In my opinion, at the moment, this is the best server on the IL2 platform. Your work really makes me admire and respect!

Also, I want to speak about the new rules concerning the limitation of pilot's lives. For me, after the introduction of these restrictions, fly on this server has become even more interesting. Now every time you cross the front line, you get a shot of adrenaline in the blood, as if this is the moment when you first shot down the enemy online (maybe here I exaggerate a bit, but you understand what I mean). With the increase in the value of the life of the pilot, the picture of air combat on this server has become even more believable and has become even more radically different for the better, from the one that can be seen on other servers. Many pilots have tried to fly neatly on this server before, but they still could afford reckless actions, which greatly alienate the picture of air combat from reality. Now this is becoming less common. New rules make the pilot think carefully about what he is going to do and no less carefully think at the time when he does. New rules make the pilot to interact more with teammates and less to fly alone.

I very much hope that the administration of the server will not go in the wake of those who ask for indulgences and are afraid of difficulties. Anyone who complains about the ban because of death, I would advise to spend time with benefit. Practice your personal skills. Think over your tactics. Singles stop being shy and go into teamspeak already. I really hope that the mitigation of the rules will not happen, because it will only increase the Berloga-style on the server. The increase in the value of the pilot's life / ability to make a new departure, to a large extent, added to this server the uniqueness among those that are now available to IL2 players. Now the gameplay on Tactical Air War is the most interesting, exciting and forcing your blood to boil.

P.S. In any case, I thank you for your work and sincerely wish you success in the future!

What is your TAW call sign so we can judge the validity of your post.  Based on your flight hours (none existent) and your participation on this forum (also none existent) - your opinion is really not worth much. Show us your real persona.

image.png

Edited by JG7_X-Man

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, =SFF=_cercataa said:

You should ask =LG=Coldman how he does it, he got me down getting only 0.05% dammage from my turrets ... 

https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=20618&name==SFF=_cercataa

I just put 120 he 20mm bullets in almost one pass and was lucky. 

You want to say that now it is something wrong when your peshka aimbot is not working? ;) 

Edited by =LG=Coldman
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

What is your TAW call sign so we can judge the validity of your post.  Based on your flight hours (none existent) and your participation on this forum (also none existent) - your opinion is really not worth much. Show us your real persona.

image.png

I do find it interesting how his first and only post has received eight up votes.

Posted (edited)

No complaints After 8 years  flying Blue.

And today flying  Red, is  Very VERY Hard Task ! 

Edited by Panzer-uy

4 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

I do find it interesting how his first and only post has received eight up votes.

I fully agree with Fair

I'm curious... why are the He-111s locked? Am I missing something? I have two as bomber in my line-up and one cargo... but I can't use them. Is this part of the front line progression?

So... I changed my name on IL2Sturmovik.com and created a new account on TAW because I could not login to my original account due to not having original password (it says email is used for password recovery, but I could not find this option anywhere)

Now this new account is locked because it's on the same side.

So even though I don't have the original password, I try to change my name back to my original name on IL2Sturmovik.com, and it's TOO many characters (even though I SOMEHOW created that username originally).  So now I have no way to login back to my original TAW account, no way to use my second TAW account, no way to delete any TAW accounts, no way to move my IL2 name back to it's original, etc, etc. etc.  

What should I be doing differently?

16 hours ago, =AVG77=REDMAN said:

How about opening the gunner seats to live players, that would reduce the AI accuracy mess by a lot and allow people to participate until a plane slot becomes available or if you get killed 3 times as a pilot be allowed to come back as a gunner until the 24 penalty expires. Now that the gunner seats are locked until you unlock them you don't have to worry about trolls shooting your plane up and if someone wants to gun they have to ask the pilot.     

I'm not sure if this is possible to do server side. We've been struggling with this in trying to set-up a dead is dead campaign for BOS. I believe it's part of the game code that if the server chooses a death penalty there is no way to allow a limited re-entrance (gunner only). I sure hope the Devs can code something to this effect. It would eliminate the "honor system" that we use in Flanders in Flames (and I really feel that being able to still participate in the tournament as a gunner after kill / capture is part of why we still have 50 or more participants in what is essentially a sim on the downside).

Hi Red! Salute!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, -=PHX=-Geo- said:

Balance is worst now, 20 vrs 3 blue, is not funny anyway! 

I will fly Blue The Next TAW , .  Against All Odds .

No complaints .

Edited by Panzer-uy

I like the lives and I hate it all at once. I hate it because I suck and lost them pretty quick.

My ideas:

I would like a way of earning lives back in a way that contributes to the ambiance of the server. Bomber missions for example. Nine successful bombing runs for one life.It should be hard.

I think my idea would get more bombers in there air making it more fun for fighters. It's a suggestion made due to having to sit out. I'm having a great time in TAW and would rather fly punishment detail over sitting out.

Last ask. Can we please somehow get two characters in the future? I'd love to separate bombers and fighters.

1 hour ago, -=PHX=-Geo- said:

It's great! Except I'm dead so not playing.   :(

I need to get gud again... 109s are fragile.

• Upvote 1

@Kathon & crew I need clarification on the statement below:

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 24 hours time penalty. After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

Thing is that it works a bit different than described. I was killed on Sunday and received 24 hrs ban as my lives counter went below zero after I served my ban I was killed agian 😄 and then my life counter wasnt zero but I was/am still baned :)  Take a look at my profile before map ends.

Reds can u pls Bomb a bit faster, I can't fly because no lives! 😄(most of them Headsshoots) 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, -=PHX=-Geo- said:

As I wrote earlier not all of 20 reds are allowed to fly. Some of them are waiting but they are on the server so they are shown as total number of players.

7 hours ago, II./JG1_Vonrd said:

I'm curious... why are the He-111s locked? Am I missing something? I have two as bomber in my line-up and one cargo... but I can't use them. Is this part of the front line progression?

Locked aircraft means that some of the weapons are not available (locked). 

4 hours ago, JG700_Benek said:

@Kathon & crew I need clarification on the statement below:

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 24 hours time penalty. After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

Thing is that it works a bit different than described. I was killed on Sunday and received 24 hrs ban as my lives counter went below zero after I served my ban I was killed agian 😄 and then my life counter wasnt zero but I was/am still baned :)  Take a look at my profile before map ends.

I seems that penalty counter is immediately increased by 1 after reaching 0 or below. 

• Thanks 1